• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Deeku

Jintor said:
I think with the new rates on electricity and the... deprivitisation of the... something...? Electricity... rate... whatever, people from various companies have been showing up offering to go over your energy bills and explain how you can save money. We've had two so far this week.
Yeah I've had a few as well, but I just tell them to f off lol. But then they always ask whether I'm the bill payer, which pisses me off because it probably means I sound like a teenager on the intercom:/

ffffffffffffffffff Exam change of venue closed today so hopefully the hasty email I just shot off will still count. They said 15th of September! Didn't say anything about what TIME it had to be in by!

Rahk said:
The new St. Vincent and Girls albums are pretty great.
New Neon Indian album is fantastic.
New Battles video is awesome as always.

Also finally tracked down a copy of Wonder Whats Next by Chevelle off ebay for $4. Couldn't find it in store anywhere. I like having hard copies! Let me buy the damn thing direct from the band!

Saw a shitload of stuff in Seoul today thanks to a friend playing guide, but still no Starcraft. Did see a car where the model was a 'Starcraft', though.

But Arrested Development has taught me how to say 'hello' in Korean so all is good.

Running Wilde was not interesting to watch after three or four episodes, even with Arnett and Serafinowicz or whatshisname (Tobias Finke, analrapist). Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret isn't a big investment at 6 episodes, is as dry as toast but enjoyable enough. I'd put it next to 'Episodes', if you've seen that.

If you want something new, definitely pick up 'Louie', which I mentioned a couple of weeks back.

Yagharek

Milestone events will be the MHTri sales figures. I understand the context, but really, every fanboy is falling over themselves, making statements about karma, betrayal, and objectively speaking of things.

I expect an explosion of stupid in the first week of vita sales thats for sure. It will be a bloodbath. Epic Mickey thread will be a paper cut in comparison.

Shaneus

I really honestly couldn't care about the new handheld wars, to be honest. The last straw in my handheld journey was the fact that I can play any game on either my PSP or DSL (by virtue of being a rich motherfucker) and homebrew (by virtue of being an awesome motherfucker) yet I'm only playing games on my iPhone. It's just not worth carrying a second device just for gaming.

I do, however, have a separate MP3 player, though. Not relevant, just sayin'.

Edit: Cods, I tried Episodes but it just didn't gel with me. Louis, however, I can get behind. Show is awesome, bummed I missed him when he was here a week or two ago.

PS. Check out Look Around You and The Trip. Amazingly subtle yet hilarious shows.

Yagharek

I'd go for a single device if I found a phone playable. I just dont get them for games. I get why others do, but I need buttons. It's a fundamental requirement and obstacle in the same way that I dont play driving sims in manual or kb+m games. My brain won't re-wire.

A phone for me is for calls, texts and web browsing on the go. Handy for googling factoids or checking sports scores.

I reckon vita and 3ds both have good libraries on the way, but I only need one. Like you shaneus, Ive found that trying to simplify my choices is probably a good thing.

But de-cluttering is hard. I'm almost toying with the idea of offloading the ps3.

Shaneus

For the games that 3DS and Vita provide, they're offering experiences that are too similar to a console. Personally, a handheld game should provide perfect opportunities for gaming for either 30 second or two hour sessions. With the exception of the NES/GBA games for the 3DS and the PSP minis (which aren't any better than the worst of the iOS stuff anyway) there's just nothing to grab me on either.

Lumines overrides all, though. If I could have that on my phone with the feedback of clicky buttons somehow, I'd never consider a handheld console again.

Yagharek

I know what you mean. I'm finding that the NES games handily fulfil that role for me at least.

Excitebike, Super Mario Bros, Pac Man CE, Paper Plane, Pyoro. And of course you have the variety of console like titles. There does seem to be more of a focus on them than with psp/ds though.

Shaneus

Yup, I have no idea why though. After all, what's the point of having insane graphics or deep gameplay on something you have to hold 2 feet from your face or need to recharge every few hours? An RPG on either system would be painful. Tiny writing, drawn out gameplay, cramped hands... I couldn't handle an extended Lumines PSP session and that doesn't even require extensive reading or rapid button presses.

If developers of popular titles on iOS have learned anything, it's that short bursts are imperative to the success of a title. Everything I've had fun with and go back to I do because I can get my fix in a few minutes (even though they frequently last much longer).

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
Yup, I have no idea why though. After all, what's the point of having insane graphics or deep gameplay on something you have to hold 2 feet from your face or need to recharge every few hours? An RPG on either system would be painful. Tiny writing, drawn out gameplay, cramped hands... I couldn't handle an extended Lumines PSP session and that doesn't even require extensive reading or rapid button presses.

If developers of popular titles on iOS have learned anything, it's that short bursts are imperative to the success of a title. Everything I've had fun with and go back to I do because I can get my fix in a few minutes (even though they frequently last much longer).

Yeah fair points, its a matter of preference I guess.

Myself, I do a bit more travel for work and nightshifts, and dont have freedom to hog the tv for dozens of hours a week. As a result, in-depth games on portable are a great thing for my time. DS brought me Chrono Trigger after all, and portable Zeldas are fun.

Shaneus said:
Edit: Cods, I tried Episodes but it just didn't gel with me. Louis, however, I can get behind. Show is awesome, bummed I missed him when he was here a week or two ago.

PS. Check out Look Around You and The Trip. Amazingly subtle yet hilarious shows.
I can see not everyone not liking Episodes, it's one of those shows. Didn't like look around you at all. Except 'thants', that's great. The Trip is very enjoyable but I don't even know why.

Shaneus

codswallop said:
I can see not everyone not liking Episodes, it's one of those shows. Didn't like look around you at all. Except 'thants', that's great. The Trip is very enjoyable but I don't even know why.
Acquired taste, I guess. I thought it was clever in how dry it was. Of course, we didn't have the same science videos here to draw a comparison with, but I can imagine their inspiration well enough that it's funny.

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
New Neon Indian album is fantastic.
New Battles video is awesome as always.
Learnt just the other day that the Dodos have a new album. It's pretty great. For a couple of guys that just play folk acoustic guitar and banjo with drums, their album 'Visiter' is about the most punk rock thing I've ever listened to.

Also I'm in Malaysia.

Jintor

Thinking about it, most of my favourite portable experiences have been 15+ hour games at the least. 999, Ace Attorney Series, Advance Wars series, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance series, Fire Emblem series, Radiant Historia, Zelda... the only ones that don't fit this bill really are EBA / Ouendan!

Shaneus

Jintor said:
Do I see a sRPG on a phone? No? Thanks, 3DS.
Ah, but that's my point. Despite me not being any kind of RPGer, it strikes me as kind of weird that people would play something that requires such a time sink and a significant amount of reading on something so unwieldy as a handheld. It's understandable to me why they're not on iPhone.

I'm sure I'm completely wrong and they all work really well and there's plenty of reasons to put once console-exclusive games onto handhelds, but from the outside looking in I just don't get it.

Jintor

sRPGs and certain types of RPGs (and visual novels especially) are not really suited (in my view) to a sit down and play experience, or at least are waaaaaaaay more convenient for pick-up put-down play. People say they want the 2-3 minute games but it's like they've never had to stop reading a book before on a train or something. Just close the goddamn DS lid and it goes into sleep mode, you cretins!

Aon

Well there are SRPGs on iOS at least xD
Just from Square there's that janky ass Song Summoners and the War of the Lions port.

Shaneus

Eh, different strokes, I guess. But like I said, I ain't no RPG guy so I can't really comment with any authority of what works on a handheld and what doesn't. I just calls it like I sees it... and what I sees is the blurring of a line between console and handheld gaming that I personally feel should be clearer.

So my day went from great to a whole pile of annoyance very quickly

So I got my new Xbox 360 250 gig with Kinect from Dick Smiths today, supposedly brand new. Get it home start setting it up, see there is already a profile on there that has some achievements for some Kinect games, oh yay looks like I got a store display model. Whatever it should be fine. Do memory transfer for my old data from my old HDD. All goes good.

Next go to buy some DLC for Fallout New Vegas, but it won't let me, asks to put in the Pass Code.....WTF, Dick Smiths put on a pass code but did not wipe it before they sold it. Oh yay it gets better as the game rating set to no higher then PG.....WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT. Tried a few default pass codes nothing works, and I can't get rid of the passcode as I don't know the answer to the secret question. Looks like an angry visit to the store is going to be required in the morning. Just the thing I want to do on my last day on holiday.

Jintor

Shaneus said:
Eh, different strokes, I guess. But like I said, I ain't no RPG guy so I can't really comment with any authority of what works on a handheld and what doesn't. I just calls it like I sees it... and what I sees is the blurring of a line between console and handheld gaming that I personally feel should be clearer.

Well, I hardly want to play third-person cover shooters on a portable. But other games... turn-based games especially...

Although I have had dreams about getting Bayonetta working on a portable system. Oh my god I can see it now.

Shaneus

Worthintendo said:
So my day went from great to a whole pile of annoyance very quickly

So I got my new Xbox 360 250 gig with Kinect from Dick Smiths today, supposedly brand new. Get it home start setting it up, see there is already a profile on there that has some achievements for some Kinect games, oh yay looks like I got a store display model. Whatever it should be fine. Do memory transfer for my old data from my old HDD. All goes good.

Next go to buy some DLC for Fallout New Vegas, but it won't let me, asks to put in the Pass Code.....WTF, Dick Smiths put on a pass code but did not wipe it before they sold it. Oh yay it gets better as the game rating set to no higher then PG.....WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT. Tried a few default pass codes nothing works, and I can't get rid of the passcode as I don't know the answer to the secret question. Looks like an angry visit to the store is going to be required in the morning. Just the thing I want to do on my last day on holiday.
Wow. That is really, really bad. Almost consumer affairs-type shit. Hopefully it was a mistake and they weren't seriously trying to pass that off as new.

Shaneus said:
Wow. That is really, really bad. Almost consumer affairs-type shit. Hopefully it was a mistake and they weren't seriously trying to pass that off as new.
Are they not meant to be selling off store display units?

Shaneus

Worthintendo said:
Are they not meant to be selling off store display units?
I'd think that if they were, they'd have to be straight up with you about it without you having to ask. I don't know much about the legalities of that so I'm not exactly qualified to give an exact answer, but it would make sense.

I know I chucked a hissy fit once when I bought some glasses and found the frames they used for the lenses were the display item. Apparently it was (and maybe still is) common practice.

Shaneus said:
I'd think that if they were, they'd have to be straight up with you about it without you having to ask. I don't know much about the legalities of that so I'm not exactly qualified to give an exact answer, but it would make sense.

I know I chucked a hissy fit once when I bought some glasses and found the frames they used for the lenses were the display item. Apparently it was (and maybe still is) common practice.
Oh boy am I going to have a fun visit back to the store in the morning, although thinking I shouldn't of deleted the previous profile I found on there. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Might also try giving a call to Xbox support to see if they can be of any help (most likely not but you never know).

Its really annoying I can't just format the system without the passcode as I'd do that if I code as I really don't want to have to lug it back to the store.

Shaneus

Worthintendo said:
Oh boy am I going to have a fun visit back to the store in the morning, although thinking I shouldn't of deleted the previous profile I found on there. Oh well, we'll see what happens. Might also try giving a call to Xbox support to see if they can be of any help (most likely not but you never know).

Its really annoying I can't just format the system without the passcode as I'd do that if I code as I really don't want to have to lug it back to the store.
Almost sounds like you don't want to have to go back to the store. Get angry, dude! They effectively sold you a second-hand product as brand new. Someone got to handle it before you did.

I like my electronics to be virginal where possible (you wouldn't believe how many electronic gadgets I have with that plastic film still on them) and would be ropeable if this happened to me. Fuck speaking to MS, call up DSE first and ask them what they suggest you do. Get angry over the phone if you have to... I find it easier to do than to get angry in person ;) (and chances are if you do that, they'll have it all ready to go for you when you get there without having to wait around for ages)

Shaneus said:
Almost sounds like you don't want to have to go back to the store. Get angry, dude! They effectively sold you a second-hand product as brand new. Someone got to handle it before you did.

I like my electronics to be virginal where possible (you wouldn't believe how many electronic gadgets I have with that plastic film still on them) and would be ropeable if this happened to me. Fuck speaking to MS, call up DSE first and ask them what they suggest you do. Get angry over the phone if you have to... I find it easier to do than to get angry in person ;) (and chances are if you do that, they'll have it all ready to go for you when you get there without having to wait around for ages)
Lol, I'm really bad at getting angry at people over the phone, I used to work in Credit Management, Tech Support and Faults for Telstra and after coping soo much abuse over the phone I just can't bring myself to do the same to someone else. Unless its a damn telemarketer, they don't count as real people.

Its more I really don't want to have to pack it up and lug it back to the store, makes it worse I don't have a car so means taking it on the bus.

To be fair to Dick Smiths, I had a real great experience with their Perth Store early this year when I had been waiting 3 months to hear back from a TV I got from them that had broken and they were fixing. There was a whole drama with no one getting back to me, but the girl who helped me at the time was super awesome and sorted everything out plus offered me some free itunes cards.

But yeah to Dick Smiths Cannington I must go tomorrow it seems.

The handheld consoles have a sleep mode that is perfect for taking epic games on your travels. I once left Crisis Core paused for about a week after playing it until 3am and quickly swiping the power button before I passes out. Finally remembered the PSP was under the bed, swiped, and up popped Crisis. Very handy.
Also you should use the psvita as a mp3 player! I already use my phone but the Vita looks like it will be great for multimedia.
Also being sold floor stock without a discount for the wear and tear it has accumulated (especially with a 360!) is just fucked. Would not accept that at all. They should either knock off $50 and clear the codes or give you a new one.

I'm just going to leave these awesome posts here.
Jintor said:
Do I see a sRPG on a phone? No? Thanks, 3DS.
Jintor said:
Thinking about it, most of my favourite portable experiences have been 15+ hour games at the least. 999, Ace Attorney Series, Advance Wars series, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance series, Fire Emblem series, Radiant Historia, Zelda... the only ones that don't fit this bill really are EBA / Ouendan!
Jintor said:
sRPGs and certain types of RPGs (and visual novels especially) are not really suited (in my view) to a sit down and play experience, or at least are waaaaaaaay more convenient for pick-up put-down play. People say they want the 2-3 minute games but it's like they've never had to stop reading a book before on a train or something. Just close the goddamn DS lid and it goes into sleep mode, you cretins!
I want to play an RPG but I would rather not devote couch time to them. If I can get that experience over a few weeks then I am a happy man. I've come to realise that the reason why I finished so few RPGs on consoles is that I find it very hard to give them that level of attention monogamy. I used to try and settle down with RPGs but I started to realise that they're not the marrying type. RPGs are better suited to being my bit on the side that I get when I can.

And hey, don't feel bad for the RPGs; they know what their getting into. I don't lie about the kind of relationship that I'm after.

And, also, because I beleive that sickness (just like misery) looooooooves company, I might quote this:
Shaneus said:
(you wouldn't believe how many electronic gadgets I have with that plastic film still on them)
Original factory film fist, bro!

Shaneus said:
Ah, but that's my point. Despite me not being any kind of RPGer, it strikes me as kind of weird that people would play something that requires such a time sink and a significant amount of reading on something so unwieldy as a handheld. It's understandable to me why they're not on iPhone.

I actually prefer RPGs on hand helds nowadays, the convenience of portability, and the multitasking it allows, is a big draw.

I think the idea that hand held games are becoming consolised is lacking perspective. A lot of Game Boy games were lo-fi versions of NES franchises (Super Mario Land being the big example, then stuff like the Mega Man games, Zelda, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and so on). Heck, the game that revived the system and gave it its second wind was a big RPG. The same was true for the GBA and Super Nintendo games, and there were a number of examples of the exact same game being released on Game Gear alongside the Master System versions.

I suppose it comes from the difference in tech between the GBA (and to a slightly lesser extent, the DS) and what was in homes at the time leading to the two different styles of systems having different 'feels'. But with the technical gulf closing so that portable systems are more in line with their home contemporaries, the same kind of experiences become possible on both again and we see this idea of blurring lines that were never really there.

Aaaaaallllllso, handhelds mean that you can do unsavory tasks like grinding while watching television. Which, while not making it any more forgivable as an ongoing necessity of playing RPGs, does take the sting out.

Shaneus

My posts were mostly fuelled by the fact that I've been playing far too much Grand Prix Story on my iPhone. That's my defense.

Nyer to you all.

Omikron

Friday. My product manager is leaving today, which is a bit of a downer, as she has always looked after us Devs from the wrath of upper management. So will be interesting times here come next week. See how things go.

Upside, we are having pizza + board games in the boardroom for lunch. 8)

Gazunta

I like any system that has Civilization Revolution on it.

I have four fucking versions of that game and I played each one to death

I need help

Top Bottom