• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
It always throws me for a loop when I read Green has called a seat for Liberal because I always read it as the greens party.
Like why would they know? Who are they to decide?

Arksy

I thought Malcolm Turnbull would somewhat reinvigorate the beleaguered Liberal Party after Abbott's term, I thought he'd be at least more effective in selling a vision of what he wanted Australia would be. I thought he had an ounce of charisma and would walk over Shorten in the debates.

Welp. Guess I was wrong. Pack it up.

Kozak

Banned
I thought Malcolm Turnbull would somewhat reinvigorate the beleaguered Liberal Party after Abbott's term, I thought he'd be at least more effective in selling a vision of what he wanted Australia would be. I thought he had an ounce of charisma and would walk over Shorten in the debates.

I think we've all been slapped in the face with that assumption haha

Fredescu

The only thing he could be remotely popular on are his social views but he either wasn't allowed to campaign on those, or didn't fight hard enough to be able to do so. Campaigning on corporate tax cuts is pretty tone deaf.

Fredescu

Okay then. There goes that theory. It didn't even win him darkaces vote. I got nothing now.

The policy position clearly comes from their donors, so money is speech, but money isn't votes.There's a certain point where the interests of your donors get harder to sell.

On the money isn't votes thing, it's interesting that Clive giving up saw the PUP vote transfer almost exactly to the One Nation vote. I mean I guess there's no way of knowing if it's the same voters, but it seems like instead of dismissing all those PUP votes as being "bought" those voters should have been addressed... by *someone*... at that time as a problem with the direction of the major parties. They didn't and now those votes have made things much much nastier.

Arksy

The only thing he could be remotely popular on are his social views but he either wasn't allowed to campaign on those, or didn't fight hard enough to be able to do so. Campaigning on corporate tax cuts is pretty tone deaf.

I wasn't even in Australia for much of the campaign but it seemed like the Libs were AWOL, such arrogance to think they could just walk straight back into majority government.

Fredescu

I wasn't even in Australia for much of the campaign but it seemed like the Libs were AWOL, such arrogance to think they could just walk straight back into majority government.

There were plenty of GAF banners! No real message to them from memory, just generic kinda "Vote me pls".

Dryk

The mistake is thinking that the shambling corpse of Malcolm Turnbull would be able to do anything after the last time he tried to defy the will of the party. A mistake we all made to some extent or another.

There were plenty of GAF banners! No real message to them from memory, just generic kinda "Vote me pls".
"So I reckon we should just see it through and stick with the current mob for a while" really was the defining message of their campaign in retrospect.

D.Lo

Chrono_Trigger_(SNES)_63.png

(Future=Liberal right)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

A slogan that is the equivalent of "eh let's just stick to it and see how it goes" isn't exactly inspiring.

Shaneus

"So I reckon we should just see it through and stick with the current mob for a while" really was the defining message of their campaign in retrospect.
Methinks T. Nutt should've put in a bit more effort before authorising such a shit campaign willy-nilly.

darkace

Banned
Eh, I'm not sure I buy this criticism. Moderate messages are hard to sell. It's much easier to campaign on 'axe the tax, stop the boats, don't kill the poor' than it is to campaign on 'we're making small changes in the right direction'. As the ALP found out with their campaign failing to make much of an impact until they started blatantly lying.

It's the same reason that Sanders had so much popular support against what should have been a shoe-in in HRC. Telling everyone you can fix all their problems without any sacrifices is a recipe for popular support and huge amounts of disappointment down the line.

The policy position clearly comes from their donors, so money is speech, but money isn't votes.There's a certain point where the interests of your donors get harder to sell.

On the money isn't votes thing, it's interesting that Clive giving up saw the PUP vote transfer almost exactly to the One Nation vote. I mean I guess there's no way of knowing if it's the same voters, but it seems like instead of dismissing all those PUP votes as being "bought" those voters should have been addressed... by *someone*... at that time as a problem with the direction of the major parties. They didn't and now those votes have made things much much nastier.

If it's the same voters , then they are just voting Other but prefer the Coalition. Theres almost no overlap between policies (especially on Immigration which is One Nation's signature policy)

They should probably fire their advertising agency honestly. They took an actual real tradie and managed to fumble the presentation so badly it looked faked. That takes talent.

Arksy

Eh, I'm not sure I buy this criticism. Moderate messages are hard to sell. It's much easier to campaign on 'axe the tax, stop the boats, don't kill the poor' than it is to campaign on 'we're making small changes in the right direction'. As the ALP found out with their campaign failing to make much of an impact until they started blatantly lying.

It's the same reason that Sanders had so much popular support against what should have been a shoe-in in HRC. Telling everyone you can fix all their problems without any sacrifices is a recipe for popular support and huge amounts of disappointment down the line.

In a sense, I agree. The counter point is David Cameron, a moderate conservative who was far, far more popular than his party who sold a positive bright future for the UK and won a parliamentary majority despite all predictions otherwise. His only radical policy is that if he won he'd offer a referendum on continued membership of the EU, something that the Labour party didn't match, which cost them a significant number of votes. All his other platforms were startlingly moderate.

I guess given recent events its now all moot, but I highly, highly doubt that any successor will have the same amount of Charisma and that they will lose the next election in 2020, unless of course Corbyn is still leader of the Labour party.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im kinda enjoying this unsupervised Australia. Maybe we should embrace a perpetual limbo.

Fredescu

It's possible to have moderate positions that are communicated in ways that "engage the electorate" *vomits*. Axe the tax and save Medicare are both examples of that. "Jobs and Growth" is no position at all.

If it's the same voters , then they are just voting Other

I'm pretty sure this is the problem that all the hand wringing about "listen to the racists" is intended to fix.

Kozak

Banned
Man I did a bit of investigating into Pauline's campaign and my goodness, no wonder she's back.

Whoever ran her campaign is a master.

Shaneus

Man I did a bit of investigating into Pauline's campaign and my goodness, no wonder she's back.

Whoever ran her campaign is a master.
I can't remember where I saw it or who it was specifically, but it was someone who had run someone else's campaign quite a while ago. Wish I could recall.

To be fair, it is only Gerry Harvey who actually says that. The others just say the hung parliament or one seat majority is going to scupper any pro-business legislation for the time being. Gerry is always reliable for a quote that is entirely self-interested, if it was up to him, we'd have to buy stuff from overseas via a gerry harvey portal that imposed whatever tax he feels is fair to his stores, at the time.

I can't remember where I saw it or who it was specifically, but it was someone who had run someone else's campaign quite a while ago. Wish I could recall.

Ashby, he ran Slippers campaign IIRC.

It's possible to have moderate positions that are communicated in ways that "engage the electorate" *vomits*. Axe the tax and save Medicare are both examples of that. "Jobs and Growth" is no position at all.

I'm pretty sure this is the problem that all the hand wringing about "listen to the racists" is intended to fix.
The problem here is that PUPs position was to the left of the fricking ALP on Asylum Seekers. So (assuming it's the same people) Immigration isn't actually a break point for them. They just want to kick the system over because it's failing them and actual positions are just window dressing.

Its of course equally probable its different people to some extent , and Palmer's disillusioned people went back to their main tribe and One Nation ate the right wing of the National vote again. The LNP are attributing losses to One Nation funneling votes to Labor.

Fredescu

The problem here is that PUPs position was to the left of the fricking ALP on Asylum Seekers. So (assuming it's the same people) Immigration isn't actually a break point for them. They just want to kick the system over because it's failing them and actual positions are just window dressing.

Its of course equally probable its different people to some extent , and Palmer's disillusioned people went back to their main tribe and One Nation ate the right wing of the National vote again. The LNP are attributing losses to One Nation funneling votes to Labor.

Yeah I agree with both points. Boats didn't seem to feature that heavily in this campaign, so maybe that bunch left Abbott for Hanson.

danm999

Running a campaign promising to do not much of anything is a disaster for a government already perceived to be stuck in neutral because of factional infighting. Turnbull's numbers didn't plummet the past 9 months because of unpopular policies, but because he simply refused to do anything.

And if you don't define yourself, your opponents certainly will. I'm guessing that's why Mediscare worked so well.

darkace

Banned
In a sense, I agree. The counter point is David Cameron, a moderate conservative who was far, far more popular than his party who sold a positive bright future for the UK and won a parliamentary majority despite all predictions otherwise. His only radical policy is that if he won he'd offer a referendum on continued membership of the EU, something that the Labour party didn't match, which cost them a significant number of votes. All his other platforms were startlingly moderate.

I guess given recent events its now all moot, but I highly, highly doubt that any successor will have the same amount of Charisma and that they will lose the next election in 2020, unless of course Corbyn is still leader of the Labour party.

Somewhat off-topic, but I really liked Cameron. Sad to see him go.

I do think the fact the labour party in the UK is just a mess and has been since Blair affected the outcomes more than the moderation of the message.

elfinke

Cracking article:

https://www.themonthly.com.au/blog/russell-marks/2016/05/2016/1467688568/impoverished-estate

Had the actual record of the Abbott–Turnbull government formed part of the media’s campaign coverage, it is difficult to see how the swing against it could have been limited to single figures. And yet it has become political common sense in Australia to see the six years of Labor administration as unbearably chaotic. This was in part because Tony Abbott was allowed, between 2009 and 2013, to generate the perception of total chaos while things were actually chugging along pretty well. And compared with the actual policy and political chaos of the Abbott–Turnbull years, the Labor years look positively golden. There are failures of opposition politics here, yes, but these failures are mainly those of media.

All of it worth reading.

darkace

Banned
That's still not a very comforting thought unless they are planning a Terror attack.

Be alert, not alarmed.

Howard's support was rising prior to 9/11. People liked him and didn't see a reason to change. It remains to be seen if Turnbull is the smooth operator that Howard was though.

Also that article above is seriously unimpressive. You can't use short-term economic indicators to gauge the success of long-term economic policy. The main beneficiary of the Keating reforms was Howard. Not to mention that comparing the economic record of the two while totally ignoring the mining boom is utterly disingenuous.

elfinke

Shame that the people who actually need to read that article, won't :/

Yep.

Also, Bernadi apparently in talks to defect from the Libs to form his own party, according to SMH article. Register your interest now! http://www.conservatives.org.au/

Right-wing breaks away from Libs, suddenly they would be a far more palatable party personally speaking, but they would also be severely weakened, if National Party and One Nation support is anything to by.

Greens -> Labor -> NXT -> Libs -> Nats -> Cory Party. What a time to be alive.

elfinke

Bernandi makes noise all the time. If something comes of it I'll eat my sock.

I registered my interest! How could you not with pitches like this:

"It can be tough being a conservative.

Left-wing ideology seems to dominate the media, our university campuses and the public square. It can seem very lonely being a voice of reason and common sense when it seems like everyone else has swallowed the left rhetoric without a second thought.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom