• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are postal votes going to start getting counted today? I think I heard that somewhere.
Yes, they started counting postal votes and other remaining votes today.
"The counting of almost 1.1m postal votes returned to the AEC so far begins on Tuesday. The large number of votes cast by interstate voters also gets underway," the statement on the AEC website said.

"This follows two days of packaging, distribution, sorting and verification of these votes.

"While this counting task begins on Tuesday it will take some time due to the large volume of postal, interstate and other declaration votes that continue to be received back in local electorates.

"The count of Senate pre-poll ordinary votes not already counted on election night continues."

AEC commissioner Tom Rogers says it has to wait 13 days from now for all of the postal votes for Saturday's federal election to come back to the home electorates.

"Given it's a close election, we have got to wait for 13 days for all of the postal votes to come back," Mr Rogers told Seven's Sunrise on Tuesday.

"Really for a couple of the seats, we could be waiting for that period."
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/storystream/vote-2016-counting-resumes-coalitions-hopes-rest-postal-votes

oipic

Please excuse my ignorance, but just how do other countries do this? I assume electronic voting is a thing, and well implemented somewhere in a fashion similar enough to our requirements to be able to be adapted for use here?

Not a simple, quick or cheap exercise, I imagine, but in the long run the time and money saved would make it worthwhile, wouldn't it?

Are the AEC already working on an electronic voting solution for future use?

D.Lo

A million postals is such a huge number.

I believe it's because incumbents mail ballot papers to old people with a how to vote card and a return envelope?

A million postals is such a huge number.

I believe it's because incumbents mail ballot papers to old people with a how to vote card and a return envelope?

Skungier still. They send applications for postal votes , that return to their office. After information is harvested those applications go to the AEC who then send out postals. Since they usually come in the usual campaign flyer envelopes people who already know they aren't voting for the incumbent probably bin them. Its an impressive little system given you can just apply for postal votes from the AEC directly.

Striek

I hope so. I'm just waiting for this page to update with new data: http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/

This site will update first:
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseUpdatedByDivision-20499.htm
(scroll down to most recently updated)

They didn't start counting until now (11am), at least in some places. It wont take long to see the results in safe seats, one million votes spread over the country isn't that many, it'll just take more time when every vote has a couple eyes and hands on it from both sides in marginal seats.

This site will update first:
http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseUpdatedByDivision-20499.htm
(scroll down to most recently updated)

They didn't start counting until now (11am), at least in some places. It wont take long to see the results in safe seats, one million votes spread over the country isn't that many, it'll just take more time when every vote has a couple eyes and hands on it from both sides in marginal seats.

The Senate will take ages since every vote must be accounted before it can begin and all votes from a state must be coordinated. Especially given the number of likely independent votes this year , combined with lack of GTV.

Striek

The Senate will take ages since every vote must be accounted before it can begin and all votes from a state must be coordinated. Especially given the number of likely independent votes this year , combined with lack of GTV.

Yeah but we already have a really good idea of what the Senate will look like, and its not as pressing as the HoR.

Yeah but we already have a really good idea of what the Senate will look like, and its not as pressing as the HoR.

Small changes in the Senate could make huge practical differences though, Greens / ALP getting +2 over projection gets a hostile senate , -2 means they're in the same position as the Senate needing to negotiate with right and centre. Unless the extra Indeps turn out to be centrists or left leaning. But the latter is almost impossible.

Yagharek

Probably time to unsubscribe from crikey for good. Pushing abc under the bus and getting guthrie aka Murdoch sock puppet to do their dirty work

Probably time to unsubscribe from crikey for good. Pushing abc under the bus and getting guthrie aka Murdoch sock puppet to do their dirty work

Eh, I'd let it settle first. Not the first time Crikey has published dissenting opinions, and TV ratings was quiet positive about the ABC. Twitter's being just as idiotic about the ABC being part of right wing conspiracy. Admittedly my copy hasnt arrived yet so don't know how bad things are.

Fredescu

Could I get a link ? Don't remember seeing that in yesterday's or on the site.

You'd have to go back to 2010:

In 2010 Crikey publisher Eric Beecher said the Drum sat “blatantly in the territory of sites like Crikey”.

“Operating in the commercial space, we expect vigorous competition from other commercial publishers,” Beecher said. “But to see the ABC tanks roll up on our lawn was bewildering.”

From: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...um-website-in-first-move-by-michelle-guthrie?

Bob Brown's former chief of staff reminds us that the whole "no formal agreements/coalitions" promise by both parties is a terrible, terrible idea for a variety of practical reasons.

Also, some commentators are noting that while One Nation is terrible and Pauline's election is a travesty, she's basically our version of Donald Trump, and patronising/insulting her and her supporters is not gonna change anyone's mind. The only way to destroy her support is to figure out why people support her and address their fears, worries and frustrations in ways that aren't patronizing while still being better than Hanson's insanity.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Bob Brown's former chief of staff reminds us that the whole "no formal agreements/coalitions" promise by both parties is a terrible, terrible idea for a variety of practical reasons.

Also, some commentators are noting that while One Nation is terrible and Pauline's election is a travesty, she's basically our version of Donald Trump, and patronising/insulting her and her supporters is not gonna change anyone's mind. The only way to destroy her support is to figure out why people support her and address their fears, worries and frustrations in ways that aren't patronizing while still being better than Hanson's insanity.

You theoretically can't please these people though when their main argument for electing her is "muh muslim terrorists!" When you have that kind of stupidity seeping through our national politics it just goes down hill from there.

Arksy

Australia has some of the most organised elections in the world. We allow so much leeway in terms of voting out of your own electorate, voting from overseas or voting via post. In other countries if you weren't voting in your electorate you simply would not be permitted to vote.

I'm happy for it to take some times in the rare (although common in recent years) cases that elections have no been called one way or another on election night.

D.Lo

Australia has some of the most organised elections in the world. We allow so much leeway in terms of voting out of your own electorate, voting from overseas or voting via post. In other countries if you weren't voting in your electorate you simply would not be permitted to vote.

I'm happy for it to take some times in the rare (although common in recent years) cases that elections have no been called one way or another on election night.
Yep, the system itself is world class.

darkace

Banned

There's no way of talking to these people. They're fundamentally xenophobic and rigidly anti-immigration.

They're after the return of a White Australia Policy. Nothing else will do.

Fredescu

Presumably those commentators aren't the ones that fear physical violence when these sort of "debates" happen in public.

Jintor

loathe as i am generally to promote The Australian under normal circumstances there's a really good longform article on the campaign going up the last few days.

...unfortunately my browser autoblocks the australian as spam so I can't link it. but I'm assured it's there!

danm999

Politically we've been demonising boat people and spruiking Middle Eastern military adventures to distract from domestic issues as a nation for decades now.

If these commentators can't figure out how we got here I'm gonna start patronising and insulting them too.

Turnbull says he takes responsibility for his campaign, he respects there is disillusionment towards politics, there are lessons to be learned from the election, that the medicare scare campaign resonated with people sends a message to him that he needs to build up people's trust about his side of politics regarding health.

"There was some fertile ground where that grotesque lie could be sown"

"We found the outcome disappointing"

Kozak

Banned
Can someone tell me whose winning?

Stats seem to suggest Labor is ahead but Liberal seems to be quite comfortable although annoyed.

Can someone tell me whose winning?

Stats seem to suggest Labor is ahead but Liberal seems to be quite comfortable although annoyed.

Postal votes favour Coalition. Accounting for that outcomes in order of likelihood: LNP minority, LNP majority , Labor minority, back to the polls (everybody loses).

I wonder who a do over would favor. Usually it'd be the Coalition but the egg on their face and annoyance about doing this dance again could go the other way.

Cohsae

Is there anyone on God's green earth - and getting greener by the day thanks to wonderful life-creating carbon dioxide - apart from Malcolm and Lucy Turnbull who thinks Turnbull has the slightest possible chance of survival?
Say what you will about the daily tele but boy do they know how to stay on message at all times.
Wow

Yagharek

Say what you will about the daily tele but boy do they know how to stay on message at all times.
Wow

Their understanding of the role of CO2 to the exclusion of all other chemicals should probably preclude them from ever discussing the science curriculum.

elfinke

Don't judge a book by its cover and all that.

But sometimes, what is on the cover is exactly what the book is about. A middle-aged, grey haired former coal mine manager "wants climate scepticism taught in schools and says the CSIRO and United Nations' peak climate body endorse corruption"

1467695581879.jpg

I can't wait to hear his stance on wind farms (I wonder if he writes for stopthesethings.com)

Dimefan3

I wonder who a do over would favor. Usually it'd be the Coalition but the egg on their face and annoyance about doing this dance again could go the other way.

I almost wonder if a do-over would sway some of those who voted a certain racist redhead in to rethink their choice, having had a taste of the outcome...

Holy shit, that guy looks like a fucking axe murderer, so creepy.

Also, considering their poor results this election, the Greens are gonna have to do a bit of soul-searching. I love Richard Di Natalie, but perhaps trying to actually pivot towards the 'sensible centre' and trying to look like a proper party that can actually govern might actually have backfired in a time when much of the electorate is utterly sick of the establishment and "business as usual" politics, and neoliberal policies by extension (which doesn't really apply to the Greens since they're not keen on neoliberalism, but still). Though some poor focus in terms of seats didn't help, either.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Postal votes favour Coalition. Accounting for that outcomes in order of likelihood: LNP minority, LNP majority , Labor minority, back to the polls (everybody loses).

It'd swing Labor's way no doubt. They already have an egg over their face for calling a DD and having the exact same outcome, albeit even worse for wear with a bloody racist in the senate, no doubt people will look down on that and vote Labor.

Striek

First lot of postals in Chisholm came in 57% for Libs...and its worth noting that seat was held by a Labor incumbent.

r1chard

FWIW I live in Chisholm and at least in Box Hill the Liberal advertising was *everywhere* pre-poll. I couldn't turn my head without seeing another picture of Julia Banks. Couldn't tell you who the Labor candidate was. Didn't see any advertising for her. Utterly unsurprised if Labor loses it, especially since it was going to be close anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Don't judge a book by its cover and all that.

But sometimes, what is on the cover is exactly what the book is about. A middle-aged, grey haired former coal mine manager "wants climate scepticism taught in schools and says the CSIRO and United Nations' peak climate body endorse corruption"

1467695581879.jpg

I can't wait to hear his stance on wind farms (I wonder if he writes for stopthesethings.com)

why live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom