• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

His reasoning for the above is Labor already set aside the money for it. The infuriating part is Labor did the same for Gonski and the NDIS, but the Libs are still screaming we can't afford them. As always, if the government wants the money they can find it.
I love how when Labor sets aside money for things to improve education etc it's a horrible white elephant. But as soon as they set money aside to buy unspecified future jets it's all steam ahead on the dodgy project they can find.

By all means get the first order and hope it works out, but it makes no sense to put all your fighter eggs in the F-35 basket at the moment.

lexi

Banned
When an Independence Day-like event happens you guys will be thanking Abbott for the investment in those planes!

r1chard

Bl8ZacICIAADeDt.jpg:large
Wow.

markot

Banned
I wish Australia didnt just gobble up US crap for military stuff.

That plane is a disaster >.< And the last Howard government bought those old US helicopters that didnt work, and those other fighter jets that didnt do what we needed.....

Its funny though, in the Canberra Airport, you actually see big ass advertisements for this plane. (And all sorts of US defence contractors)

Look on the bright side: They are nowhere near as secure as Howard was. Looking at the polls they could theoretically lose a national election held tomorrow, let alone 2.5 years down the track after unveiling their actual plans. And this is with the ALP being about as inept as they were in Howard's early days too.

Though it still amazes me that anyone at all believed the majority of those promises let alone all of them.

I'm actually quite surprised at the imposition of the debt levy and how it will work. My first instinct was that they'd use the debt monster to scare down services and then use the savings as an excuse to cut taxes or enact some pet project. They're straight up actually collecting revenue to pay the debt.

Of course, the way they're framing it is designed to poison the well against any form of future deficit spending. They're literally calling it a debt levy, the better to remind voters in two years' time of Labor largesse and its consequences when they're doing their tax returns. Don't be surprised if the next Federal election is called to coincide with the beginning or end of tax time.

Jintor

I'm actually quite surprised at the imposition of the debt levy and how it will work. My first instinct was that they'd use the debt monster to scare down services and then use the savings as an excuse to cut taxes or enact some pet project. They're straight up actually collecting revenue to pay the debt.

Of course, the way they're framing it is designed to poison the well against any form of future deficit spending. They're literally calling it a debt levy, the better to remind voters in two years' time of Labor largesse and its consequences when they're doing their tax returns. Don't be surprised if the next Federal election is called to coincide with the beginning or end of tax time.

Surplus at any cost! Surplus surplus surplus!

legend166

Australia is so weird.

If we just ignore the whole breaking a promise thing, Abbott, a conservative prime minister comes in and in order to reduce a deficit, introduces a progressive tax on only the upper middle class and wealthy, and the supposed left parties get really angry at him.

I mean, I actually agree with the Greens about the whole "wait we can't have a mining tax but we can have this?" but once again they are the absolute masters of cutting of their nose to spite their face.

Dead Man

Australia is so weird.

If we just ignore the whole breaking a promise thing, Abbott, a conservative prime minister comes in and in order to reduce a deficit, introduces a progressive tax on only the upper middle class and wealthy, and the supposed left parties get really angry at him.

I mean, I actually agree with the Greens about the whole "wait we can't have a mining tax but we can have this?" but once again they are the absolute masters of cutting of their nose to spite their face.

I think the left parties are actually being pretty consistent on this, it may be a progressive tax, but it is for an economic goal they disagree with.

wonzo

Banned
I support the levy (or any progressive income tax increases really) but the idea that Abbot should somehow be able to get away with doing the very same thing he cried blue murder over during the last government is absolutely laughable.

Myansie

The left haven't articulated their position very well, but then they don't need to. Basically why introduce an extra tax on the middle and upper classes for an imaginary budget emergency when we already have the much fairer carbon and mining taxes.

Dryk

All the rhetoric about "everyone helping with the heavy lifting" while trying to kill the carbon and mining taxes is really disingenuous. Politicising tax increases like this is also rather ridiculous, especially since it's paying for investments that (ideally) provide large economic gains in the long-term.

bomma_man

Australia is so weird.

Maybe the left parties are finally actually acknowledging leftist economics.

Australia is so weird.

From a left political point of view this levy could be argued to be a negative (even assuming that deficits are critically important). It is a progressive tax increase, but as far as disclosed so far it's relatively small, the steps are large , and the difference between the upper and lower brackets effected is tiny. It's also directing a tax the upper middle class while assiduously avoiding taxing companies, giving out a fair amount of free money disguised as direct action and it kicks in at a lower tax bracket than Tony Abbot's PPL scheme caps out*.

It's also got an explicit sunset clause that will happen before the budget after the next election, it's designed so only the Coalition can take advantage of it. Essentially its major effect (and very likely its intent) may just be to poison the well.

*I think a Paid Parental Leave is an excellent idea, but I'm a terrible person who'd tie it to the minimum wage.

I surprised this "though bubble" hasn't been better handled. For a team that was so disciplined during opposition they are going full retard now that they are in government.

I fully expect a similar government funded advertising campaign to what is going on in Queensland and an attempt by the government to relabel this levy/tax/whatever as the Labor Tax and use it to bash the opposition from here on. It's not our fault, you the people dared to elect a Labor government and now you have to pay a tax for it as punishment.

bomma_man

I'm sure Labor has other, worse reasons for voting down the 'levy', but the actual reason should be that debt and deficit is not inherently bad.

I'd like to think that they've finally rejected neo-liberal orthodoxy but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Shaneus

I'm sure Labor has other, worse reasons for voting down the 'levy', but the actual reason should be that debt and deficit is not inherently bad.

I'd like to think that they've finally rejected neo-liberal orthodoxy but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Wouldn't have such a massive fuckoff debt if we weren't spending it on fighter planes we don't need.

markot

Banned
Australia is so weird.

You forgot that its all for a non made up emergency, while gutting the shit out of everything else, closing down everything they can, firing thousands of public servents, with many more to come, talking about lifting the pension age and wanting us to work to death, buying more planes that are so bad the US is only still making them cause they have no choice, introducing a stupidly generous paid maternity scheme....

I could go on.

Levys are stupid.

Governments need to raise revenues, not with a levy for fake emergencies. And not while going on an ideological cutting spree through everything they can because of that 'emergency'.

I dont give a crap about his lie, most people dont, but coming from juliar and someone who spent every last minute of the last election speaking about 'liars' in government?

He spent the last 3 years trying to convince us the carbon tax was the root of all evil, born of a lie between a gay green and a red haired woman. That this evil would be smitten through the courage of himself, his upright ways, his knowledge of power, the adults would be back in charge. And whats he do first budget?

bomma_man

Wouldn't have such a massive fuckoff debt if we weren't spending it on fighter planes we don't need.

It makes it pretty blatant - if it wasn't already - that the right only care about cutting spending that they don't like, ie, spending that improves the bargaining power of labour.

mjontrix

True, but reaching 100% gdp to debt ratio is the apocalyptic scenario for non reserve currencies.

wonzo

Banned
Big big changes are also recommended for healthcare - such as getting rid of universal Medicare.

The commission is calling for &#8220;higher-income earners&#8221; to take out private health insurance for basic health services in place of Medicare. And precluding them from accessing the private health insurance rebate.

The co-payment that has been much talked about in recent months has also popped up in the commission&#8217;s findings, i.e. through the introduction of co-payments for all Medicare-funded services.

General patients would pay $15.00 per service until they reached the safety net threshold (which is 15 visits or services a year). From then, they would pay $7.50 per service.

Concession card holders would pay $5.00 per service and then $2.50 once the safety net kicked in.

States would also be encouraged to introduce a &#8220;co-payment structure&#8221; for public hospital emergency departments for &#8220;less urgent conditions that could be appropriately treated in a general practice setting&#8221; (thus heading off people who go to emergency to avoid paying the new fee).

When it comes to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme, the commission recommends that co-payments are also increased for all medicines under the PBS. Including for concessional medicines that are currently free.

goodbye universal healthcare

e:
screenshot2014-05-01agrr2t.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom