• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

I said it in the other thread, but it's like Shorten's been dialled in with the Konami code for all the ammunition he's come armed with.

Yagharek

I said it in the other thread, but it's like Shorten's been dialled in with the Konami code for all the ammunition he's come armed with.

IDDQD

edit: standing ovation in parliament house. Not seen that for a long time. Maybe the Apology? But that was not really an ovation-occasion, more a sombre acknowledgement type of speech. This was angry.

Shaneus

IDDQD

edit: standing ovation in parliament house. Not seen that for a long time. Maybe the Apology? But that was not really an ovation-occasion, more a sombre acknowledgement type of speech. This was angry.
Does it matter about what side of the floor the applause was, or are you just counting the gallery?

PS. Cross-post from the other thread, because I need to contribute more than what I just wrote above:
lol, after a month of silence, @LiberalAus Twitter account tweeted five times in the space of a minute:
29ma9io.png

Edit: Hockey's reply:
"Wah wah, Labor offered no new policy". "All politics, no policy".

Oh, and he looks PISSED.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'd take no policy over the steaming pile of bullshit the libs are trying to pull tbh
"Around the world, the word Liberal represents vision, forward thinking and the bold change required to forge a prosperous future. Labor are too old fashioned and conservative to deal with the challenges facing modern Australia; they want to chain Australians to their dreams of the past instead of liberating them to face the future on their own two feet. This election, vote Liberal, and liberate yourself." - Liberal party election ad 2016.

"Around the world, the word Liberal represents vision, forward thinking and the bold change required to forge a prosperous future. Labor are too old fashioned and conservative to deal with the challenges facing modern Australia; they want to chain Australians to their dreams of the past instead of liberating them to face the future on their own two feet. This election, vote Liberal, and liberate yourself." - Liberal party election ad 2016.

You should save that for posterity, so if they do end up using it, you can charge them for it.

The states are basically in open rebellion.

I guess the Cabinet was hoping that they'd be willing to suck it up and basically propose raising the GST , thus allowing them to dodge political responsibility. I'm not sure why they'd believe that though , massive cuts to Health and Education budgets and the inability of states to build a meaningful tax base of their own, means that this was basically selling any state government with elections coming up down the river.

Alternatively they can do the open revolt thing and look like their standing up for the people despite party alignment and score major points.

Dryk

I guess they'd assumed that the states would all be under Liberal control by this point in the year like everyone else did, and also assumed that they'd go along with it.

Arksy

I guess they'd assumed that the states would all be under Liberal control by this point in the year like everyone else did, and also assumed that they'd go along with it.

They all are under Liberal governments except for ACT and SA.

They all are under Liberal governments except for ACT and SA.

Looking at ACTs voting history is interesting. Liberal's have only won twice (with 1 Seat margins at that) of 8 (and that was in a row).

The results are admirably close given that looking at their Senate / House of Reps history is fairly skewed ALP and how consistently the ALP ends up winning.

But it being Red matters a lot less, if all the other states are Blue, since the ACT has considerably more limited powers.

Is there a youtube link to Shorten's speech?

EDIT: Never mind - found it. It was suitably angry, though I do find his pandering in opposing the debt levy not for its temporary and marginal nature, but for its being a tax on top earners at all to be distasteful.

Dryk

One of these speeches need to end with one of the senators smacking their chest and yelling "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" across the chamber

Jintor

I know grub is a lower tier insult, but it's funny that it's gained so much traction considering the shennanigans people usually get away with in there anyway

Rubixcuba

Banned
Anyone listening to Hack on triple j? The Carla woman is has pretty much said if you homeless it's your fault and you should get a job. Also spending money on the environment is totes stupid! Who knew?!

Well the Australian people are good at picking people out for what they are.

I have an election campaign vs budget comparison, that given the election result, might suggest otherwise.

Unless we, as a nation, value cruelty to asylum seekers and fewer corporate impositions over things like honesty , health and education.

Arksy

I have an election campaign vs budget comparison, that given the election result, might suggest otherwise.

Unless we, as a nation, value cruelty to asylum seekers and fewer corporate impositions over things like honesty , health and education.

Didn't you see the poll where a near majority of people thought we weren't being tough enough on Asylum seekers?

Although now that Abbott has been revealed as someone who doesn't keep his word I think a larger group of people are going to be very hostile to him. I mean, I'm a damn party member and even I think the budget goes too damn far, and that's saying something.

Anyone listening to Hack on triple j? The Carla woman is has pretty much said if you homeless it's your fault and you should get a job. Also spending money on the environment is totes stupid! Who knew?!

Everyone. The first bit has been neoliberal orhodoxy since at least the Gilded Age (desperate people who just want to live to see tomorrow can drive wages below the cost of living. A+++ , would implement as policy again) . The second bit has been neoliberal orthodoxy since a) climate change became a thing and b) it would reduce corporate profits to do anything about it. I mean its obvious that anything that could potentially reduce corporate profits would be a devastating blow, that would life on earth as we know it.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Hack is over now but wow, that was an incredible of ignorance and cruelty. Always scary to encounter another young person who holds such hard Right political views.

Arksy

Hack is over now but wow, that was an incredible of ignorance and cruelty. Always scary to encounter another young person who holds such hard Right political views.

I know it's not unique to the left and is probably part of human nature but that whole "Everyone who disagrees with me is a monster." is becoming really trite.

Didn't you see the poll where a near majority of people thought we weren't being tough enough on Asylum seekers?

Although now that Abbott has been revealed as someone who doesn't keep his word I think a larger group of people are going to be very hostile to him. I mean, I'm a damn party member and even I think the budget goes too damn far, and that's saying something.

That's why I placed it a as a comparative , because people obviously see it as a positive, and I know at least some people see greater corporate freedom as a positive too. The other side are also things that I'm pretty sure are almost universally regarded as positives. Essentially I'm questioning whether they picked it well or whether they value the first over the second. I suspect the former more than the latter.

I can respect this part, but I'm honestly in disbelief that anyone could seriously believe that Abbot would keep every single one of his election promises. For one thing it would be impossible (a regressive Paid Parental Leave scheme, scrapping taxes and fixing the budget , all while making no cuts) and for another, it would leave the Liberals about as hollow and purposeless as the ALP, with the only thing they could claim they stand for is for the big end of town , since it would toss pretty much the remainder of their entire political ideology overboard.

Arksy

That's why I placed it a as a comparative , because people obviously see it as a positive, and I know at least some people see greater corporate freedom as a positive too. The other side are also things that I'm pretty sure are almost universally regarded as positives. Essentially I'm questioning whether they picked it well or whether they value the first over the second. I suspect the former more than the latter.

I can respect this part, but I'm honestly in disbelief that anyone could seriously believe that Abbot would keep every single one of his election promises. For one thing it would be impossible (a regressive Paid Parental Leave scheme, scrapping taxes and fixing the budget , all while making no cuts) and for another, it would leave the Liberals about as hollow and purposeless as the ALP, with the only thing they could claim they stand for is for the big end of town , since it would toss pretty much their entire political ideology overboard.

Well consider me a fool, because I didn't think he'd raise taxes, or if he did, I didn't think he'd raise taxes by this much. :(

I'm all for cutting spending, but do it in a way that doesn't completely fuck the most vulnerable in our society. Why did middle and upper class welfare stay the same?

There's bits and pieces that I like here and there, I love the Medicare co-payment. Granted it's because my own mother basically goes to the doctors once a week to have a chat or to make sure she hasn't got the disease of the week she saw on Dr Oz etc and not based on any real analysis of the entire industry.

I could never ever vote for Labor or the Greens because they oppose freedom of speech, which is a deal breaker in and of itself but they also support higher taxation and government controlling our lives, which basically means for someone like me it's Liberal or bust.

This is why I've been passionately arguing for more democratic control over our politicians for the last 30+ pages. Hopefully some of you will come around. :p

Well consider me a fool, because I didn't think he'd raise taxes, or if he did, I didn't think he'd raise taxes by this much. :(

I'm all for cutting spending, but do it in a way that doesn't completely fuck the most vulnerable in our society. Why did middle and upper class welfare stay the same?

There's bits and pieces that I like here and there, I love the Medicare co-payment. Granted it's because my own mother basically goes to the doctors once a week to have a chat and not based on any real analysis of the entire industry.

I could never ever vote for Labor or the Greens because they oppose freedom of speech, which is a deal breaker in and of itself but they also support higher taxation and government controlling our lives, which basically means for someone like me it's Liberal or bust.

This is why I've been passionately arguing for more democratic control over our politicians for the last 30+ pages. Hopefully some of you will come around. :p

I don't consider you a fool. I mean your own statement pretty much confirms that you knew that he couldn't honour all his election promises exactly (and I have a hard time believing that any political party could). And I can understand you feeling that the ones you believed would honor were valuable enough to vote for. That's an entirely rational (and intelligent) position..

I actually agree with in a lot of ways on Freedom of Speech (which I sometimes feel may get me thrown out of the Leftist club) and on greater democratic control though I'd prefer checks built in to avoid it devolving into a tyranny of the majority or a psuedo-anarchy (where everytime legislation is passed a recall vote happens).

Arksy

I don't consider you a fool. I mean your own statement pretty much confirms that you knew that he couldn't honour all his election promises exactly (and I have a hard time believing that any political party could). And I can understand you feeling that the ones you believed would honor were valuable enough to vote for. That's an entirely rational (and intelligent) position..

I actually agree with in a lot of ways on Freedom of Speech (which I sometimes feel may get me thrown out of the Leftist club) and on greater democratic control though I'd prefer checks built in to avoid it devolving into a tyranny of the majority or a psuedo-anarchy (where everytime legislation is passed a recall vote happens).

Well if it makes you feel any better there's a bunch of places with recall mechanisms already in operation, Canada being the closest example. The history where these things are in place basically operates that if a recall is called for a purely partisan reason such as the no confidence motion in Canada and the recall of the mayer in Wisconsen, it usually just ends up strengthening their position rather than destroying it but it works incredibly well where MPs have acted poorly. (Like say, Slipper & Thompson).

Rubixcuba

Banned
I know it's not unique to the left and is probably part of human nature but that whole "Everyone who disagrees with me is a monster." is becoming really trite.
True I may have been able overboard there, but having an attitude of "lol, homeless people, climate change and unemployed youth' is difficult to accept when it's coming from an established young business owner.

Arksy

True I may have been able overboard there, but having an attitude of "lol, homeless people, climate change and unemployed youth' is difficult to accept when it's coming from an established young business owner.

Don't mean to single you out, I'm guilty of this as well. It just frustrating on both sides. People on one side are frustrated because they painted as monsters and the other people just can't understand why they can't see it from their perspective.

Politics gon' politics.

Jintor

Don't mean to single you out, I'm guilty of this as well. It just frustrating on both sides. People on one side are frustrated because they painted as monsters and the other people just can't understand why they can't see it from their perspective.

Politics gon' politics.

Often, to me [NOT TALKIN' BOUT CHU ARKSY :D] it can often smack of bigots complaining about how discriminated against they are though, or things along that ilk.

Well if it makes you feel any better there's a bunch of places with recall mechanisms already in operation, Canada being the closest example. The history where these things are in place basically operates that if a recall is called for a purely partisan reason such as the no confidence motion in Canada and the recall of the mayer in Wisconsen, it usually just ends up strengthening their position rather than destroying it but it works incredibly well where MPs have acted poorly. (Like say, Slipper & Thompson).

There's been a couple of NRA led recall election lynch mobs in the USA relatively recently as a counter-example. But largely it comes down to how recall elections work, as long as it requires a complete polling of the electorate* to achieve the recall I'd probably be happy (obviously some lesser threshold would be required to call for one).

*As a matter of pragmatism, this should be done in a fashion that also effectively elects the replacement if the incumbent is recalled.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think in the context of the budget I might see if I can with all the uni work I've got to do attend like 3 protests in Melbourne. The first one about the budget being in Sunday (2 pm. The second about the Education cuts on Wednesday 2 pm, and the Friday Medicare one at 5 pm. #YOLO

This quote from TA Mike Carlton uses in his recent article is too much. I can't even.

"We are about reducing taxes, not increasing taxes. We are about getting rid of taxes, not imposing new taxes. This is my whole reason for being in politics, in the Parliament."

Tony Abbott, November 20, 2012.

edit: Also he calls Hockey, Smokin' Joe Hockey which seems to be doing the rounds lately. Hope it sticks.
He's got a pretty big cigar box
VJjZieym.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom