• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventron

I noticed that the first few front rows were made entirely of seniors and the younger people were seated at the back so Abbott got a louder applause every time.

Just saying, there was a very specific seating arrangement.

Sky News' logo was red. The Labor party's colour is red.

Just saying, there was a very specific colour.

senahorse

Who do you think won the second leaders' debate?
Kevin Rudd
12%
Tony Abbott
88%
Total votes: 7386.

Poll from SMH, surely that has to be the work of bots...

elfinke

Who do you think won the second leaders' debate?
Kevin Rudd
12%
Tony Abbott
88%
Total votes: 7386.

Poll from SMH, surely that has to be the work of bots...

lolol. That made me laugh more than it ought to. There have been many rumours about the LNP social media team, but this seemingly takes the cake.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Maybe the grim reality is that Tony Abbott is the favourite and likely candidate to win and we don't want to admit it because oh god the horror.

wonzo

Banned
I noticed that the first few front rows were made entirely of seniors and the younger people were seated at the back so Abbott got a louder applause every time.

Just saying, there was a very specific seating arrangement.
Uhh, it's pretty clear that had more to do with the elderly most likely having more trouble seeing and/or hearing the actual debate than any kind of inherent bias of the media organisation hosting it.

Uhh, it's pretty clear that had more to do with the elderly most likely having more trouble seeing and/or hearing the actual debate than any kind of inherent bias of the media organisation hosting it.

What is a microphone?

Maybe the grim reality is that Tony Abbott is the favourite and likely candidate to win and we don't want to admit it because oh god the horror.

Nah mate, polls are easily rigged

Meanwhile in the LNP Astroturfing zone

At this point it looks pretty damn likely that Abbott will win. Kinda makes you want to sit back and reflect on how things got so fucking bad that he could actually become PM.

elfinke

At this point it looks pretty damn likely that Abbott will win. Kinda makes you want to sit back and reflect on how things got so fucking bad that he could actually become PM.

I know what you're getting at, but I will take the opportunity to mention this article again anyway.

Things haven't got that bad. Things are fucking great right now by almost any metric, but neither side can sell that message and Western Sydney doesn't want to hear it anyway.

LNP won't win, I've been saying it for ages, and the depressing, pessimistic defeated posts above won't rain on my parade.

Dead Man

I know what you're getting at, but I will take the opportunity to mention this article again anyway.

Things haven't got that bad. Things are fucking great right now by almost any metric, but neither side can sell that message and Western Sydney doesn't want to hear it anyway.

LNP won't win, I've been saying it for ages, and the depressing, pessimistic defeated posts above won't rain on my parade.

Objectively the country is doing great, but the politics have become fucking terrible. Stupid, hateful, short sighted, and just non effective policies are being trotted out as the saviours of a country that doesn't need saving. That is what I mean when I say we are fucked. We are so fucked we don't even acknowledge how unfucked we are.

Fredescu

BSMRfv_CAAErWvC.jpg

Shaneus

I missed the debate live, but saw a 10 min summary on ABC. Jesus fuck, just once I want to not get the urge to catch the first plane to wherever the fuck he is just to knock Tony Abbott's goddamned ape-faced block off whenever I see video or a photo of him.

elfinke

His membership card.

Heh, no allegiance here to anyone or anything political. Fucking fuck that. My lack of a political allegiance has led to a few funny discussions at my place of employment, though.

Supreme optimism. That's all... And not just optimism in the eventual outcome, but in the process that will lead to that outcome and the machinations involved (it's why I'm sitting up watching the Ashes (again) and am going to atleast one of the Ashes tests here in Australia later this year, too!)

You just gotta have it. The alternative is too bleak. Pessimistic and defeatist attitudes don't get you anywhere and having them make you a boring person to be around, so I try to be the complete antithesis of this in everything I do, all the time. It makes for an easy conversation starter if you answer 'how are you today?' with 'terrific', or 'faaaantastic' or 'wonderful' instead of just 'good' (even if you're not, you say it enough and you'll soon change), and that's just the start of my day, each day.

Plus, I thrive on being contrary. It fills my bidet.

Nah Labor can still come through, there will probably be a 1-2% spike for them when Polling Day nears. Also phone polling these days tends to get mostly Coalition Voters anyway, I mean you might as well use a fax machine if you're still using a landline for polling. On the Street, SMS and moderated internet polls are usually the way to go if you want a larger demographic, Roy Morgan is usually the most accurate; being the poll that pretty much got the 2PP vote in 2010. almost down to the decimal too. The media is mostly right though in that the only poll that matters is on election day.

Heh, no allegiance here to anyone or anything political. Fucking fuck that. My lack of a political allegiance has led to a few funny discussions at my place of employment, though.

Supreme optimism. That's all... And not just optimism in the eventual outcome, but in the process that will lead to that outcome and the machinations involved (it's why I'm sitting up watching the Ashes (again) and am going to atleast one of the Ashes tests here in Australia later this year, too!)

You just gotta have it. The alternative is too bleak. Pessimistic and defeatist attitudes don't get you anywhere and having them make you a boring person to be around, so I try to be the complete antithesis of this in everything I do, all the time. It makes for an easy conversation starter if you answer 'how are you today?' with 'terrific', or 'faaaantastic' or 'wonderful' instead of just 'good' (even if you're not, you say it enough and you'll soon change), and that's just the start of my day, each day.

I like you. Everything is going to be okay!

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag

To stop those monsters, one-two-three,

Here's a fresh new way that's trouble-free,

It's got Paul Anka's guarantee ...

Guarantee void in Tennessee.

Just don't look! Just don't look!

Fredescu

Nah Labor can still come through

Yeah there's a chance. The polling is pretty close so it's really going to come down to individual swings in key seats.

History is on Labor's side too. A change of government tends to only happen in a landslide, which would have happened in Gillard was still PM. 75, 83, 96, 07, all came about due to 20+ seats changing hands. I think it might be slightly different this time around though. The change of PM means the electorate doesn't really feel like they're voting for the incumbent, they're choosing between two new guys. So I have a feeling the landslide thing won't matter this time around.

The coalition are definitely favourite to win, but hey, if denialism gets you through the day, more power to you.

Us in the Pirate Party aren't running any candidates in Western Australia. Instead, we're asking people to vote for someone who's done a lot of work bringing the government to account regarding many important issues relating to the internet. I give you, The Most Interesting Man in the Australian Senate.

Nn1FJ2R.png

Fredescu

It will be a tragedy if Ludlam loses his seat because Assange is an utter toolbox.

Cannold's Wikileaks resignation letter didn't go into much detail, but this one by Daniel Matthews did: http://danielmathews.info/blog/2013...nation-from-wikileaks-party-national-council/

They'd pretty much all agreed to preference Scott and only found out someone had changed the agreed upon deals after they were made public. Scott Ludlam was one of the few elected officials to actually support Assange, so it's a massive stab in the back.

In other words, don't vote Wikileaks, they're fucking idiots. The Pirate Party sound like they represent the same sort of ideals, but with a more grass roots organisation and no autocratic dickweed as their leader.

elfinke

To stop those monsters, one-two-three,

Here's a fresh new way that's trouble-free,

It's got Paul Anka's guarantee ...

Guarantee void in Tennessee.

Just don't look! Just don't look!

Heh. If only. I have to look at it daily in all of its various guises.

Yes that's right Tony, Privatizing Medibank solves the healthcare system. What kind of clutz thinks putting more privatization into the healthcare system is a good idea?

bomma_man

Stop watching so much Oprah ;p

Its just, imo, a bit grating seeing everything the man does torn to shreds. Who gives a damn how he is as a person.

Btw id vote labor this time for the NBN.

Dead Man

Its just, imo, a bit grating seeing everything the man does torn to shreds. Who gives a damn how he is as a person.

Btw id vote labor this time for the NBN.

I don't care if it doesn't impact on how he will do his job, but when the bloke has no answer for any hard question (or even normal question, really) and spitballs solutions like privatising medibank, he is worthy of nothing more than derision.

It's not as a person rather as a party given that it was part of his Healthcare policy announced today which was basically cut jobs and privatize medibank and fall asleep behind the wheel.

Just sayin' not a very attractive policy

Software is automatically pulling up the image of Ms Gillard from an old ALP website when Google mail users receive an email from the ALP campaign address if they have the new feature enabled.

gillard729-620x349.jpg

Google Australia has admitted the embarrassing technical hitch is being caused by one of its new features, Google Plus, and the company is now trying to find a way to stop it.

Labor just can't catch a break.

Also: Google has meanwhile said that comedy spoof videos of the federal election battle are getting the biggest audiences online, not the political party's advertisements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom