• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
25 to 44 isn't young Australians :/
I'm glad the research ignored any lower ages though as it allows me through ignorance to continue to believe my age group would have performed better. 1 in 5 moving and the shopping thing sound questionable, or maybe I'm just naive.

Kennett seems to be getting better in very recent years after getting in some trouble for how it conflicted with his work on Beyond Blue.

Yagharek

I know, just clarifying

I would have thought there was no need to clarify.

Just saw a beautiful interview with democrats senator Elizabeth Warren from Massachusetts on the Newshour on SBS talking about her book 'A Fighting Chance'.

Perfect examples of how the banks, lobbyists and 1%get all the perks at the expense of everyone else.

She is a damn good speaker, I'll try find a link to the interview because I'd vote for her in a heartbeat.

I rescind everything positive I said about Elizabeth Warren given that she supports arming Israel.

Yagharek

c1wL37d.png

Kevin Andrews, minister for social services?

Tells people it's better to get married than be in a de facto relationship.

Doesn't doesn't support same-sex marriage.

so...

Dryk

Fucking hell

Young strongly criticised the immigration department for:

• Delays that endanger health in bringing patients to Australia from Manus and Nauru: “It is seen as undesirable because it undermines the idea that people are never going to Australia and also because of the concern that if people arrive onshore then they may have access to legal counsel and other assistance.”

• Leaving people in detention who are acutely suicidal: “Trying to manage them in a non-therapeutic setting like that is just inherently futile. It’s not going to work.”

• Returning patients with less severe problems to detention despite medical advice that they cannot be expected “to fully respond to treatment in an environment that was making them sick”.

• Misusing patient information. “People disclose a lot of personal information which is then recorded in notes which are then available to non-medical people for other purposes.” Young says the dual role of IHMS staff treating detainees but reporting to the department raises fundamental ethical problems for doctors in the system.

• Displaying an obsession with secrecy: “Speaking out of turn is clamped down on whenever it occurs … they continue to maintain the fantasy that they can keep everything a secret.”

• Reluctance to gather and use mental health statistics that might “result in controversy or threaten the application of the policies of deterrence”.

• Directing doctors not to put in writing that detention has led to deterioration in their patients’ mental health. IHMS doctors ignored the direction. Young said they saw evidence all around them of detainees “sick because they are there and getting sicker while they remain there”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rs-suffer-says-chief-immigration-psychiatrist

The government has ruled out any changes to the 18c part of the Racial Discrimination Act, apparently a "leadership" call from the PM or more likely in response to overwhelming polling. Poor old Brandis and his "right to be bigots," that alone damaged the case in the eyes of the public more than anything Abbott could do.

Andrew Bolt should be entertaining for a while!

Edit: Also apparently Tim Wilson the new Human Rights Commissioner is now calling himself the Freedom Commissioner. Straight out of the far right playbook in the USA that one.

hidys

The government has ruled out any changes to the 18c part of the Racial Discrimination Act, apparently a "leadership" call from the PM or more likely in response to overwhelming polling. Poor old Brandis and his "right to be bigots," that alone damaged the case in the eyes of the public more than anything Abbott could do.

Edit: Also apparently Tim Wilson the new Human Rights Commissioner is now calling himself the Freedom Commissioner. Straight out of the far right playbook in the USA that one.

They'll have to settle for metadata retention.

wonzo

Banned

tim wilson fighting to give tru blu aussies the freedom to deny human rights to the disabled, immigants, and refugees :kangarootear:

Fredescu

I guess it sucks that Mike Carlton won't be writing for the SMH anymore, but how often should anyone tell customers to fuck off before getting "suspended"? If Andrew Bolt told a bunch of people on "your side" to fuck off by email, this thread would be ablaze.

Pressure from News Limited? Seriously. If you're going to write about Gaza, and you're going to take a side, and you don't expect a barrage of abuse, you haven't been paying attention.

wonzo

Banned
nothing wrong with telling people calling you nazi jew-hating slime to fuck off tbh. shame too as he was one of the few interesting people left writing for fairfax

@Kate_McClymont 3m
Brian Loughnane, Fed Lib head, now dumped into the mix. Email suggests he was aware of banned donors using Free Enterprise to donate #icac

win.png
shit just got realer than real

Dead Man

I guess it sucks that Mike Carlton won't be writing for the SMH anymore, but how often should anyone tell customers to fuck off before getting "suspended"? If Andrew Bolt told a bunch of people on "your side" to fuck off by email, this thread would be ablaze.

Pressure from News Limited? Seriously. If you're going to write about Gaza, and you're going to take a side, and you don't expect a barrage of abuse, you haven't been paying attention.
What's all this? I missed out on some drama apparently.
nothing wrong with telling people calling you a nazi to fuck off tbh

win.png

Nothing of note will happen. Australia in 2014. :/

Dead Man

also mods pls rename thread subtitle to #teamSTRAYYAAAAAAAA

Nope, if you get done in by ICAC then you're fucked.

Oh, he's fucked, that's for sure. But no structural change will occur, and nobody who benefited from it will be impacted. Media coverage will be muted, and no politicians will face any consequences.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

nothing wrong with telling people calling you nazi jew-hating slime to fuck off tbh. shame too as he was one of the few interesting people left writing for fairfax

win.png

Oh sheet! McClymont knows her stuff. Loughnane married to Peta Credlin, Credlin the voice in the ear of the PM!

Cb32ybU.jpg

As for Carlton, at some point you have to be the bigger man. What do they say? "Never argue with a moron, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Edit: Two more NSW libs goneski. I wonder if this, Loughnane and the like, is the reason ICAC took the long recess. They said they had new info they had to look into.

Quasar

Am surprised he lasted that long. Hopefully he'll just turn up on the Guardian or somewhere.

Yagharek

If I were a NSW citizen I would be incredibly disappointed that both major parties have been tainted by this ICAC business. Whether you vote for them or not, it is incredibly concerning the amount of power wielded by rich lobbyists.

hidys

If I were a NSW citizen I would be incredibly disappointed that both major parties have been tainted by this ICAC business. Whether you vote for them or not, it is incredibly concerning the amount of power wielded by rich lobbyists.

At least NSW has ICAC.

hidys

For what it's worth I'm glad the Guardian is actually focusing on the data retention scheme rather than having a celebratory circle jerk over the small victory that is keeping 18C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom