• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

For what it's worth I'm glad the Guardian is actually focusing on the data retention scheme rather than having a celebratory circle jerk over the small victory that is keeping 18C.

Well I'd rather them look at the other security stuff planned given I consider the metadata retention plans as mostly theatre.

Quasar

If I were a NSW citizen I would be incredibly disappointed that both major parties have been tainted by this ICAC business. Whether you vote for them or not, it is incredibly concerning the amount of power wielded by rich lobbyists.

Well that was always the case with politics. I guess its nice to see it more public.

I am a bit surprised by the amount of it around Newcastle.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Well that was always the case with politics. I guess its nice to see it more public.

I am a bit surprised by the amount of it around Newcastle.

Our Mayor Jeff McCloy,the one who gave the $10,000 should resign as well but probably won't. The corruption up here is kinda suprising and leaves Newcastle and adjacent Charlestown without any real representative at the State level. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Quasar

Our Mayor Jeff McCloy,the one who gave the $10,000 should resign as well but probably won't. The corruption up here is kinda suprising and leaves Newcastle and adjacent Charlestown without any real representative at the State level. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Yeah. I'm so used to it all being rock solid safe labour since federation that I've been a bit surprised.

Of course McCloy bothered me to begin with, given who he is. And it all does make much of the state and local election results terribly suspicious.

http://www.skynews.com.au/video/pro...genda-security-laws-may-collect-metadata.html

Embarrassing video interview with Brandis about metadata retention.

We'll just know the addresses of the websites you go to, but we won't know the websites you go to.

Haha, that's Hewson and his GST cake level bad.

First Brandis destroyed the Right-Wing-Angry-Radio-Talk-Show-Host law repeal with a sentence, now I imagine he's destroyed Data Retention with this incompetence. Will be warming the back bench come the inevitable upcoming reshuffle.

Arksy

For what it's worth I'm glad the Guardian is actually focusing on the data retention scheme rather than having a celebratory circle jerk over the small victory that is keeping 18C.

You're right in that its a small victory. 18C is likely unconstitutional anyway.

The data retention plan is going to be its own bill which is a tactical move so not as to derail the other security reforms and it allows specific scrutiny of the plan.

I doubt it will pass...unless labor back it and they won't. Every party opposes controversial plans they started once they're in opposition.

Hearing these plans and Brandis say that they're respecting fundamental rights and liberties all the while installing a surveillance state and turning their back on political free speech makes me want to throw up.

Yagharek

The right wing is uncomfortably in control at the moment, and their culture of fearmongering, destruction of privacy and encouragement of racism, and celebration of anti intellectualism is absolutely bewildering.

bomma_man

The right wing is uncomfortably in control at the moment, and their culture of fearmongering, destruction of privacy and encouragement of racism, and celebration of anti intellectualism is absolutely bewildering.

It's awful but I'm far from surprised. That shit's the right's bread and butter (maybe except the privacy stuff).

Dryk

No government, not even the previous government has been this effective at destroying themselves.
The previous government always looked wildly unstable at a glance but they got shit done regardless. It'll be interesting to see comparisons of their achievements in a few years.

I'm amazed that it is as low as it is. The Australian economy is incredibly robust, hopefully robust enough to stand a term of these economic illiterates in power.
Beijing is ditching coal as a power source and our research industry is getting more disgruntled by the day. These are things that need to be addressed much sooner.

darkace

Banned
Beijing is ditching coal as a power source and our research industry is getting more disgruntled by the day. These are things that need to be addressed much sooner.

Absolutely, but we both know nothing is going to happen to address either of those things. The LNP will only support renewable energy when there isn't another dollar to be made from coal.

hidys said:
That's the highest it has been since 2002. RBA needs to cut rates.

I don't think that fiddling with our rates will actually do anything at this point, the only thing that will get our economy going again is if the government increased aggregate demand through spending, but this is something else in the never going to happen bucket.

I don't think that the economy is ticking along nicely, but it is doing much better than I thought it would, given the policies of the Gillard government, and of course the current rubbish.

Arksy

No government, not even the previous government has been this effective at destroying themselves.

I'm willing to bet a case of beer that they won't be booted out at the next election. I'm not saying that because I have faith or anything but because of historical precedent which basically says that in Westminster systems governments lose power because either the wider public get sick of their faces or the economy tanks. I don't think the first will happen because they just got in, and the second is definitely possible. We don't actually do anything as a country except sell rocks and consume. That being said I'm fairly sure economists have predicted the last sixty out of two recessions. We somehow keep trucking on.

You know what, whoever loses this bet is going to need a case of beer.

Fredescu

I'm willing to bet a case of beer that they won't be booted out at the next election.

I'm with you.

I mean. Not in the sense that I grant "freedom" an irrationally high level of importance. In the sense that I reckon this government will get a second crack.

The LNP will weather the current unpopularity storm from the budget et al (maybe forced to amend a few things though) well enough to soldier on till next year's which will be less dramatic and barring any huge fuck ups will reach equilibrium when they release their election year budget full of niceties for the middle class and populism (although it is yet to be seen if Tone Abet makes a sharp turn from the Howard handbook in this regard).

Its majority will be reduced but it will still win comfortably enough unless it is perceived as dysfunctional at the level the Labor party was in 2010. A hung parliament isn't likely but it'd be interesting to see it happen in a climate where PUP was still prominent (it and the Greens will probably pick up a slightly higher share of votes)

I'm well prepared to eat my hat after prophesying events two years away.

Yagharek

Predictions this far out are difficult. Especially when you factor in international events which can dramatically swing a domestic result if the popular opinion is for a hawkish response.

E.g. If Russia and USA start a new arms race or some more Eastern European countries fall to the Red Peril, or one returned Syrian aid worker runs amok in a Westfield shopping centre, expect a second term, along with haughty derision of 'The Left' from Alan 'The Cunt' Jones.

In other news I started reading Hitchhiker's Guide for the first time ever, today. Of all days, it happens to be a Thursday.

Dead Man

I'm willing to bet a case of beer that they won't be booted out at the next election. I'm not saying that because I have faith or anything but because of historical precedent which basically says that in Westminster systems governments lose power because either the wider public get sick of their faces or the economy tanks. I don't think the first will happen because they just got in, and the second is definitely possible. We don't actually do anything as a country except sell rocks and consume. That being said I'm fairly sure economists have predicted the last sixty out of two recessions. We somehow keep trucking on.

For very different reasons, I agree they will not be kicked out in 2016. Mainly because people are shit, and forgetful, and hateful, and generally shit. Did I mention they're shit?

Dryk

For very different reasons, I agree they will not be kicked out in 2016. Mainly because people are shit, and forgetful, and hateful, and generally shit. Did I mention they're shit?
"Well they fucked over the lower classes in their first few years the last few times, but they're treating us right before the election so I'm sure it'll be good"

Dryk

Jesus what a fuck-wit

SARAH FERGUSON: On the loan repayments, there's been widespread criticism of the inequity involved. Bruce Chapman says they disadvantage women and the poor in particular. Are you prepared to listen to him, the architect of HECS?

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: Well I'm listening to everybody in the debate. Bruce Chapman and Tim Higgins, his co-author, are one - are two particular people. There've been, as I outlined at the Press Club today, a lot of support for the Government's reforms from vice chancellors and others in the higher education sector. I'm listening to everyone because that's the best way to get the best reform possible through the Senate. Now, ...

SARAH FERGUSON: Let's just talk about these interest repayments because it does seem to be an area - yes, it's true, that there is a lot of support for your reforms, but from those people you talk about, the vice chancellors, they have said that they are very worried about the inequity contained within those loan repayments. Is that something that you're going to consider changing?

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: Well let's see what the Senate decides, Sarah. I'm not going to pre-empt the cross enches, I'm not going to assume that they're going to do one thing or the other, but I will certainly talk to them about all aspects of the package ...

SARAH FERGUSON: But have you been persuaded by Bruce Chapman and the arguments of the vice chancellors that those loan repayments that hurt low income earners and women in particular should be removed from the package or altered?

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: I think it's fair for the students to pay the same interest rate that the taxpayers are paying on their behalf. I think the students should pay back at the same rate that the taxpayers did, otherwise there is an in-built subsidy for the students and the students are already getting at the moment 60 per cent of their tuition fees paid by the taxpayer. I think that's fair.

SARAH FERGUSON: But when Bruce Chapman - forgive me, but when Bruce Chapman explains to you that the effect of setting the repayments at the government bond rate in the way that you have hurts women and poor people, those people whom you want to encourage into the universities, are you saying that you'll only change that if the crossbenches demand it? You don't see any innate benefit in that?

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: Well, Sarah, if you're saying that Bruce Chapman is the oracle and that everything he says, we have to do, then I would advise Bruce Chapman to get himself elected to Parliament, to become a cabinet minister and the Minister for Education and then he'll be able to do that. His voice is a valid one and I will respectfully listen to him, but he's not a member of the cabinet.

SARAH FERGUSON: However, do you accept that there is a hit in the way that you've set up the loan repayments that hurts women and poorer people more than it does high income earners? Do you accept that's the consequence?

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: No, absolutely not. And I don't accept it because what will happen at universities is that vice chancellors and their leadership teams will know that they should not charge and will not charge higher fees for courses which are typically going to be studied by people who'll be nurses and teachers and therefore not earn high incomes over a period of time. Now, women are well-represented amongst the teaching and nursing students. They will not be able to earn the high incomes that say dentists or lawyers will earn, and vice chancellors in framing their fees, their fee structure, will take that into account. Therefore the debts of teachers and nurses will be lower than the debts, for example, of lawyers and dentists.

SARAH FERGUSON: But what happens to a female lawyer or a female dentist who takes, say, 10 years out of from the workplace to raise a family? She will pay a great deal more for her degree than a man who has no children.

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: Well, Sarah, I feel like you're sort of caught up on this subject and the reforms, the higher education reforms are a great deal more than simply the deregulation of fees. So, while you're a bit caught up on one aspect of it, there are many very good aspects of this reform package which I think the Senate will find very attractive.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4062352.htm

BAH GAWD Pyne is a genuine super villain.

Scratch that, let's just stick to fuckwit.
I have to stick to fuckwit because my go-to word to describe Pyne is frowned upon in most circles

Mr. Tone

I have to stick to fuckwit because my go-to word to describe Pyne is frowned upon in most circles

dGBcFfj.png

CHRISTOPHER PYNE: I think it's fair for the students to pay the same interest rate that the taxpayers are paying on their behalf. I think the students should pay back at the same rate that the taxpayers did, otherwise there is an in-built subsidy for the students and the students are already getting at the moment 60 per cent of their tuition fees paid by the taxpayer. I think that's fair.

I'm always fascinated by phrases such as these.
Students are not taxpayers. Nor will they ever be.

That's, like, poetry.

Quasar

I still don't get it. Only ip addresses? What does that mean. What ips are using a connection? How many devices within our homes are connected or does he mean the ip addresses visited? Which would mean tracking the websites we visit.

Your IP address. The IP address your ISP gives you. I assume that's what he is trying to say.

Dryk

But that doesn't make any sense. The list of IPs you've had isn't very useful unless law enforcement knows which IP they're looking for.

Quasar

Laymen don't know that an IP address IS your browsing history so it's an easier sell.

No it isn't.

I guess those records could be useful if ASIO had honeypots or was intercepting traffic to 'bad' sites to link IPs back to an account holder.

Shaneus

Jesus what a fuck-wit

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4062352.htm

I watched that live. It was only through sheer force of will that I didn't throw everything I owned (including one of my pinball machines) at the TV.

PS. You're allowed to say "cunt" here! It used to be bannable on GAF (I'd been banned at least once for it, possibly more) but you can bandy it about as much as you like now :)

I watched that live. It was only through sheer force of will that I didn't throw everything I owned (including one of my pinball machines) at the TV.

PS. You're allowed to say "cunt" here! It used to be bannable on GAF (I'd been banned at least once for it, possibly more) but you can bandy it about as much as you like now :)
It's bannable if you use it to denigrate women. Slurs hurt people when history, cultural privilege or institutional discrimination give them power. Being stripped of dignity because something intrinsic to your identity somehow makes you 'lesser' is not a notion you should entertain or have to put up with.

It's why old, rich, Anglo-Celtic men in this country just don't get why their bleating about how not being able to use slurs on the radio violates their right to free speech falls on deaf ears. Having never experienced this, their natural attitude is to tell people to stop crying, grow a pair and stop being so sensitive, what are you, some kind of poofter?

I'm not telling you not to use the word "cunt", but for goodness' sake, don't be a Chris Pyne about it.

Shaneus

It's bannable if you use it to denigrate women. Slurs hurt people when history, cultural privilege or institutional discrimination give them power. Being stripped of dignity because something intrinsic to your identity somehow makes you 'lesser' is not a notion you should entertain or have to put up with.

It's why old, rich, Anglo-Celtic men in this country just don't get why their bleating about how not being able to use slurs on the radio violates their right to free speech falls on deaf ears. Having never experienced this, their natural attitude is to tell people to stop crying, grow a pair and stop being so sensitive, what are you, some kind of poofter?

I'm not telling you not to use the word "cunt", but for goodness' sake, don't be a Chris Pyne about it.
That was beautiful. Seriously.
rockclap.gif

wonzo

Banned
Crikey says: and now, a word from our Senate leader
Senator Eric Abetz writes:

Hello-uh, this uh Senidah Ericuh UhBetz here, very uh grateful to be given the uh uhppurtunity to uh say a few things to the uh Crikeyuh audience uh aboutuh free speech and uh free thought uh. Sadly uh this is uh under uttack these days uh from those who would uh constrain uh the Minister uh of the uh Crown and uh leader of the uh Senate from uh thinking uh out loud on a live TV cross about uh a disease that uh affects uh one in 12 uh women, and uh throwing doubt on the uh whole sciendiftic edddifissss that underuhpins modernuh medical treatment.I uh will be uh encouraging uh every uh branch of uh government and uh industry to uh adopt uh a similarly sceptical uh approach to the uh so-called settled so-called uh science.

From uh now on uh I am happy to say that the our uh minerals and uh energy departments will be employing a uh cadre of uh "young earth" geologists, who will search uh our wonderful 6000-year-old uh continent to find new mineral wealth using the uh Old Testament because uh no one uh saw the cooling of magma so-called uh 4 billion uh years ago so how would we uh know.

Here is uh one for the Greenies and Ferals. From today there will be uh no animal uh testing for uh medical purposes because what are the odds that Jesus would have uh made us all the same way and have you ever uh seen a fossil don’t answer that. Ha ha instead we will be testing on boat people and it will uh also be uh a job that uh young people can uh apply for as part of their uh 40 days and uh nights uh sorry uh jobs a month. Truly, the Lord provides.

Finally, because the uh science of cancer is uh so unsettled, I am also pleased uh to announce that for my uh next uh prostate exam I will uh going straight to the uh Roman uh Catholic uh Church, the experts uh in this uh trade. Although as far as uh the unemployed, poor, pensioners, students and many more this government is uh proving to be uh dab hands.

Heil- Hello. Goodbye,

Uh Eric

deadbernice.png

hidys

I'm not actually going to take that bet because it is far too early to make such a prediction (ask me again in 18 months).

You are correct about the reasons governments lose elections. If what you said about the economy is true then we would definitely be heading for a recession (mining boom definitely winding down + low consumer confidence from latest budget) , fortunately it isn't as Australia is mostly a service economy and mining makes up far less than what some would have you believe.

Of course economists tend to be wrong but at some point Australia will go into recession simply because we are a capitalist economy and nothing particularly special separates us from the rest of the world. This may or may not happen in the next three years but it will happen eventually.

In other news I hope Nick Xenophon's plan to allow first home buyers to raid their super for a deposit doesn't see the light of day, but here is a former Canadian politician (who once voted in favour of their scheme) here to say why..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom