• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

B86nI_JCIAM4Ndj.jpg

if spill is genuinely on anyway

Dryk

Julie Bishop:
"I am not campaigning for the job of prime minister," she is said to have told cabinet. "I am not ringing the backbenchers and seeking their support. I will not challenge."
Of course she's not, the backbenchers are ringing her. While not much will change under Bishop vs Abbott in the grand scheme of things at least we might hold ourselves a bit better on the world stage.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yep Jensen first to throw Abbott under the bus. Said he was happy with Turnbull but not Carbon taxes! Dr. Jensen, the only actual scientist in the Fed LNP, as far as I'm aware, is a rabid climate change denier in the vein of Screaming Lord* Monckton.
Which is a shame really, because he can otherwise be quite reasonable (for a Liberal). Maybe he only wanted the science minister gig to personally stamp out the warmist rot but he publicly advocated for the role and that's worth something. And most of the stuff he said tonight could have come out of the mouth of any Labor MP during the past 5 years.
There's no strategic direction in where we're going. One of the fundamental things is building the economy and building economic growth and what we're focused on is just debt and deficit. Quite frankly, the debt and deficit would be solved if we had adequate economic growth.
Now, Tony Abbott has been an absolutely fantastic opposition leader: in my view, the best the country's ever had. In effect, he has been a great war time leader. We now need a great peacetime leader and quite frankly, the Prime Minister is still operating on that wartime footing.
The simple fact is: we do not have a presidential system, where people directly vote for the president/prime minister.
If I believe that Tony could actually do the what - which is effectively communicate, work on policy that is coherent and consistent and in the national interest, not only in the short term but also the medium to long term - you wouldn't have this problem. The problem is that, basically, there is this lack of ability in my view in terms of the role of Prime Minister as opposed to the role of opposition leader.

Dryk

Those are all very good opinions. Especially the first one, which is the shit that the political zeitgeist always seems to lose sight of.

Remember last year when Labor and Liberal were squabbling about whether debt is bad or not and Christine Milne just stood off the side asking whether anyone had looked at returns on investment? 'cause I don't even think the public even noticed. Maybe hearing sensible economic advice from the Greens activates some sort of defense mechanism in people where they just forget it ever happened.

Fredescu

You can safely ignore the 'Progressives'. They're actually just an attempt to reboot the Democrats in disguise, and they used to be called New Choice, and to boot, they're floundering, barely more than 100 members by their own admission. The Australian Progressives have already gotten the membership numbers they need to actually sign up as a political party with the AEC, and once they get that approved, AEC rules basically state that the 'New Choice's new name has basically already been taken, because it's too similar to the Australian Progressives.

Comparison:
'Progressives/New Choice' (TPP): 'Center' party that is basically the Democrats in disguise (not progressive), nowhere near able to sign up to the AEC, only able to whinge about possible voter confusion that won't be an issue once the AEC forces one of the parties to change its name
Australian Progressives (TAP): Refuses to define itself on the political spectrum and champions evidence-based policy instead (which is actually progressive), though obviously more 'left' on moral issues, actually in the process of signing up with the AEC as a legitimate political party

Thanks for that, I remember a drama post on Reddit with the two sides arguing. I never bothered to figure out which the good one was. Good luck to the TAP, I hope they get some traction.

I'm really confused as to why a Centrist party is calling itself Progressive in the first place. Its going to alienate the center right at least as much as it attracts the center left (probably considerably more so given that these days progressive goals are often called far left).

I also don't think that being Australian Progressives is going to help vs being Greens. Greens regularly got called Watermelons (ie Green on the Outside, Red on the Inside). It'll just get the word Progressive added as a synonym for things that aren't liked by the right.

But having another party around , that can get people interested, is always a good thing.

Myansie

how could anybody possibly trust a party that'd knife a sitting pm tho

I love this argument. For it to be applicable the current situation would have to better. But, of course, it's not! Abbott has been so extreme he's created a situation even worse.

A bizarre twist to all of this is that Abbott revealed a gem of a policy on Monday. The child care assistance package is fantastic. It helps families, pays for itself two times over and creates jobs. But Abbott is a narcissist with zero understanding of policy. If he'd spent the speech on Monday talking about this in detail and against the context of his leadership style changing the whole political atmosphere would have flipped.

Dryk

So how likely is it that once this ball starts rolling he has a chance of surviving? 'cause I'm guessing it's somewhere under 0%

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As someone who is as far away from Australia as possible, I've been so entertained by Australian politics for the 5 years or so. Looking forward to watching the live spill coverage.

Fredescu

Am I wrong in thinking that the main thing wrong with the data retention scheme as it stands is that it's warrantless? Having standardised logging across ISPs seems not a terrible idea, as long as the cost is subsidised.

The whole "we won't tell you how much it's going to cost" is fucking stupid too of course, but that's just typical paternalistic Libs.

r1chard

Am I wrong in thinking that the main thing wrong with the data retention scheme as it stands is that it's warrantless? Having standardised logging across ISPs seems not a terrible idea, as long as the cost is subsidised.

The whole "we won't tell you how much it's going to cost" is fucking stupid too of course, but that's just typical paternalistic Libs.

Not only is it warrantless, but the data will also be accessible to non-law-enforcement agencies. So, you know, copyright holders.

Bernbaum

I'm out of the country. Is it looking certain that Abbott will get turfed on Tuesday?

He's the only one playing down a leadership spill, but then, that's what a PM in his position would be expected to say.

Quasar

I'm out of the country. Is it looking certain that Abbott will get turfed on Tuesday?

He's the only one playing down a leadership spill, but then, that's what a PM in his position would be expected to say.

No. I don't think so. Frankly I expect him to survive. i'm not even sure a spill will happen. Seems like this is purely a backbencher thing. The cabinet seems quite uninterested - well Malcolm might but everyone hates him so much I don't see that happening.

I think it's unlikely, but he's not going to last that much longer. There is anger on the backbench and all the one termers are really starting to get worried, but there doesn't seem to be a organised campaign yet, just sniping. Ever single thing he and his government do from now on will be framed as a leadership issue, it's death by a thousand cuts and Abbott is too stupid not to let himself and the LNP bleed to death.

The upcoming NSW election should be interesting, Baird seems like a decent guy but with the rejection of asset sales in QLD and Abbott running around causing havoc, it will take a toll. Last time I looked I think it was 54-46 to the Coalition, they might just be getting a little nervous now. On the plus side for the Coalition, the ALP do seem to be running a potato against them.

Fredescu

The upcoming NSW election should be interesting, Baird seems like a decent guy but with the rejection of asset sales in QLD and Abbott running around causing havoc, it will take a toll. Last time I looked I think it was 54-46 to the Coalition, they might just be getting a little nervous now. On the plus side for the Coalition, the ALP do seem to be running a potato against them.

They will lose some seats but get back in I think. Overall they've been a stark contrast to Newman and Abbott. Not to mention NSW Labor.

Quasar

They will lose some seats but get back in I think. Overall they've been a stark contrast to Newman and Abbott. Not to mention NSW Labor.

Its interesting being in Newcastle in that. Seems like there's just as much negativity swirls around Baird...from the destruction of tafe, to the railway mess, to selling off the port and keeping all the money in sydney. Plus all the corruption/icac stuff.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Heh, so apparently Triple J is to blame for the Bali Nine executions: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...r-bali-nine-execution-campaigner-says/6072966

Also, I doubt there will be a spill. LNP has some terrible issues not just in leadership but also in actually getting policies together that don't sound like utter shit, however that won't make anyone knife Abbott. They know what that would do to their image, hell its hurt enough just with all these rumours.

What we will see is Tony flail along, pushing through his original ideas but chopped up so much so that Labor/Greens/Independents actually pass it. Trying to go for his most hated ones, like GP tax, uni fee deregulation and data retention just won't fly and I don't think will come through. They don't have the numbers thank god.

markot

Banned
Bali Nine: triple j's decision to publish death penalty survey partly to blame for executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, campaigner says

A campaigner against the death penalty has said staff at the ABC's triple j radio station will be partly responsible if the Indonesian government executes Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, the two Australians on death row in Bali.

Supporters of the men said their bid for clemency was stymied in part by a triple j poll which showed a slim majority of Australians supported the death penalty.

The SMS poll of 2,123 people was conducted by Roy Morgan Research over the Australia Day weekend and published by triple j's Hack program on January 27.

It showed 52 per cent of people agreed that Australians convicted of drug trafficking in another country and sentenced to death should be executed.

Since it was published, the courts have denied a last ditch appeal by the drug smugglers and authorities in Indonesia are now making plans to execute the pair.

Both Indonesia's ambassador to Canberra, Nadjib Rifat Kesuma, and attorney-general Muhammad Prasetyo have referred to the poll's findings as proof many Australians support the judicial killing of the two men.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...r-bali-nine-execution-campaigner-says/6072966

Quasar

The death penalty was stopped by government edict, not popular vote.

I bet if we had an election on the issue, we would be executing people again in no short order.

I just figured we were more civilised that that. And that like abortion it was for the majority a settled issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom