• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomma_man

Unemployment is up to 6.4%, 12,200 jobs lost in January.

Full time employment fell by 28,100 jobs in January, the number of people looking for full time work increased to 551,800.

Great time to be entering the job market.

Alt: australian's must be getting lazier, look at all those bludgers.

Unemployment at 6.4%, its highest level in 12 years
http://abc.net.au/news/2015-02-12/unemployment-data-january-abs-jobs/6088070

The Australian is saying the number of unemployed people went up to almost at 800k for the first time since 1994.

Raw figures like that are misleading our population is significantly higher than it was in 94.

Id also be wary of those figured the ABS emolument stats have bounced wildly from month to month recently and arent regarded as reliable.

Raw figures like that are misleading our population is significantly higher than it was in 94.

Id also be wary of those figured the ABS emolument stats have bounced wildly from month to month recently and arent regarded as reliable.

I was being a little facetious, ABS's numbers are pretty average at the moment. But if Joe Hockey can claim he has has created jobs at 3 times the rate the ALP did based on dodgy numbers, he has to own these ones too.

Jintor

Question time this past week has been frankly amazing

Labor has mined Nikki Sava’s column which I linked up first up this morning – Abbott is being presented with the anecdote of him unloading the F-bomb on Queensland backbencher Wyatt Roy when Roy had the temerity to ask how the government might explain all his broken election promises.

He does not contest the report of his behaviour.

Abbott:
"When I gave the answer in question to the member for Longman, it was absolutely true."

(Abbott in between dropping expletives is reported to have denied there were broken promises to defend.)

But.

"There were subsequent developments. There were subsequent developments.

I absolutely accept that the commitment that I gave standing on the side of the Penrith Panthers home ground the night before the election not to cut the ABC – we have broken that.

And frankly, it’s just as well we did. It’s just as well we did, because, Madam Speaker, the ABC have not been subject to an efficiency dividend since 1996."

I DID NOT BREAK PROMISES

BUT THEN I BROKE PROMISES

AND IT'S A GOOD THING WE BROKE THOSE PROMISES, TOO, BECAUSE FUCK THOSE PROMISES

Jintor

On a side note, here's a new matilda piece about something that was occuring 'in the backdrop' of the leadership spill but by rights should probably have been way more fucking important than that particular piece of farce

warning: depressing as fuck

Yagharek

Just found out my local member was one of the few who walked out on Shorten's speech on the Closing the Gap update yesterday.

Disgusting scum.

However, in better news, I'm one of the people who got to vote in Scott Ludlam twice.

Jintor

Send him a missive.

I've considered writing to Phillip Ruddock before (he's my local member) but I figure by this point he's probably mummified in a wall somewhere in parliament house

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I like how Abbott's version of being open and honest about broken promises involves acknowledging only one of them, coincidentally the one least likely to cost him votes.

Fredescu

I've considered writing to Phillip Ruddock before (he's my local member) but I figure by this point he's probably mummified in a wall somewhere in parliament house

I think he'd prefer you sent him your braaaaaaiiiiiiins

B9ShFVZCQAExbDJ.jpg

markot

Banned
On a side note, here's a new matilda piece about something that was occuring 'in the backdrop' of the leadership spill but by rights should probably have been way more fucking important than that particular piece of farce

So they were largely ignored and in the background. Their usual place sadly.

wonzo

Banned
tim watts owns

it's been made real clear to me these past several months that people in this country care more about black americans dying overseas due to police brutality than they do about black australians dying in custody right here under our noses, stuff like this definitely shows why.

Triangulation is the optimum strategy for center-left parties (it'd be the optimum strategy for center-right parties too but for some reason they don't tend to take it). Its always more valuable to woo voters who wouldn't vote for you vs voters who are stuck voting for you. So Labor will pretty much always support stuff like this. Those who oppose these measures are either a) Stuck voting for labor or b) too far to the right to be wooed , so supporting it makes political sense. Even if it is soulless.

Shandy

What, the same party who spent the better part of 5 years attempting to implement a mandatory internet filter for the vague and dubious claim of protecting the children are now also supporting data retention for the vague and dubious claim of fighting terrorism?

Well colour me surprised.

What, the same party who spent the better part of 5 years attempting to implement a mandatory internet filter for the vague and dubious claim of protecting the children are now also supporting data retention for the vague and dubious claim of fighting terrorism?

Well colour me surprised.

Oh don't get me wrong, Labor has a long and inglorious history of making stupid/cynical/opportunistic yet shortsighted decisions too.

markot

Banned
Why did abbhoot feel the need to detail the sydney terrorist stuff in parliament to such a degree?

Surely its best left to the courts and judicial process without a PM getting involved...

Guess he is going for the 'protector' role after the last week or so, but its so stupid >.<

Referencing the incident, fine. Detailing it? Its just completely inappropriate at such an early stage.

Why did abbhoot feel the need to detail the sydney terrorist stuff in parliament to such a degree?

Surely its best left to the courts and judicial process without a PM getting involved...

Guess he is going for the 'protector' role after the last week or so, but its so stupid >.<

Referencing the incident, fine. Detailing it? Its just completely inappropriate at such an early stage.

Not to mention that the prejudicial aspect of it makes it that much harder to get an untainted jury and thus subverts the legal process itself. He's actually screwing up the trial for political points. I guess thats how Good Government/ Adults in Charge work ?

Shandy

It's tough with Tony, because he's incompetent enough to just let his mouth run without considering the consequences, but he's also enough of a bastard to do that kind of thing deliberately for the sake of his image. The way he shook his head and lamented the situation made him come across like a wannabe messiah. Although, I suppose that's not totally out of step with how the LNP has conducted itself over the past year and a half.

senahorse

Not to mention that the prejudicial aspect of it makes it that much harder to get an untainted jury and thus subverts the legal process itself. He's actually screwing up the trial for political points. I guess thats how Good Government/ Adults in Charge work ?

Oh come on, he is just trying to get the 'message' across.

markot

Banned
Guys omg we could have 1 TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT in 20 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And theres no reason it couldnt be even more! 2 Trillion even!

D.Lo

He's Australia's George W Bush, it's as simple as that.

Both a corrupt asshole AND incompetent.

Luckily we at least we can't start large scale unnecessary wars by ourselves.

Jintor

please if anything the rhetoric points to us marching into bali to free our brave lads asap

christ to plead for two aussie citizens and then to not feel an ounce of remorse for kids in detention on the same day, good job lnp

Day 5 update:

Tony as classy as always:

News.com.au said:
NSW Premier Mike Baird acknowledged his presence but Prime Minister Tony Abbott sped over Mr Rudd’s role in creating the hospital.

Mr Abbott said it was in 2002 the idea of an “integrated, comprehensive cancer care centre” was proposed by the late Chris O’Brien’ who had the “dream and the drive”.

“As Health Minister back in 2007 I was pleased and proud to be able to kick off federal funding of this centre with $10 million,” said Mr Abbott.

“Subsequently, another government put in some $170 million,” he said without naming the Rudd administration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom