• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much worse was the response this time around?

From ABC 24:

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten now asking the PM how he can claim to have a mandate for leading this country, "given that nearly half of his parliamentary colleagues, including two-thirds of his Liberal backbenchers, have today expressed a lack of confidence in the PM."

Tony Abbott responds:
"I can understand why the Leader of the Opposition doesn't want to remember the election. It would be something he would rather forget, but this PM and this Government did win an election and that is the mandate that we are carrying out."

While i disliked Gillard i could not fault her performance as a politician...

You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!

I think the real danger for the Libs is if Malcolm decides he doesn't want the job. After all he didn't put his hand up this morning. The party is still in massive denial about their policy direction. While Malcolm is certainly right of centre on economics, he is still left of the IPA. If he feels he has to adopt an economic platform too ideologically extreme, he's hardly going to put his name on it. Being Prime Minister now, while maintaining the current course, means a likely early retirement next election.

I think Turnbull is asking himself whether he wants to takeover now and deal with purging the Abbott wing while in government, or wait until the next election where they will lose big time and start the party from scratch with the Abbott wing in disgrace.

Dryk

Playing the "mandate" card rubs me the wrong way at the best of times, but in conditions like this it's just sad

Myansie

I think Turnbull is asking himself whether he wants to takeover now and deal with purging the Abbott wing while in government, or wait until the next election where they will lose big time and start the party from scratch with the Abbott wing in disgrace.

Yep, I can totally understand why he'd go for the latter. If he goes for the leadership now a lot of shit is going to stick from the Abbott mess.

Dead Man

From ABC 24:

While i disliked Gillard i could not fault her performance as a politician...

What the hell? Weakest response ever. I fucking hate the style of politics in Australia some times. Just having a good old laugh in Parliament, knowing bigger all people pay attention to what you say there,

They say we're selling out working people but at least there are more of them.

It doesn't sound as good out loud as it did in his head?

They say we're selling out working people but at least there are more of them.

It doesn't sound as good out loud as it did in his head?

Its the standard argument for lowering/abolishing the minimum wage, at least more people are working even if they can't live off it. Though they usually dress it up better.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Its the standard argument for lowering/abolishing the minimum wage, at least more people are working even if they can't live off it. Though they usually dress it up better.

It is political suicide touching the minimum wage and uni fees, yet Liberal are keen to do such a thing with a minority government. So, so strange.

Dryk

It is political suicide touching the minimum wage and uni fees, yet Liberal are keen to do such a thing with a minority government. So, so strange.
Because if we let them, then wait 20 years for the results to filter through society, and nothing bad happens in between, and their opinions outweigh years of research then we'll be thanking them when the glorious neolib utopia emerges!

Rubixcuba

Banned
I can't imagine it not being a bloodbath here. Though for the most part thats just reverting to type.

Newcastle will be interesting. The swing towards Crakanthorp in the by-election, with no Liberal candidate running, wasn't that great. People around town seem to be pretty supportive of the rail line cut and the governments plans for Newcastle. Karen Howard could possibly get up?

Quasar

Newcastle will be interesting. The swing towards Crakanthorp in the by-election, with no Liberal candidate running, wasn't that great. People around town seem to be pretty supportive of the rail line cut and the governments plans for Newcastle. Karen Howard could possibly get up?

Well the people I know are all pretty unhappy, especially with the land not being returned to the people and instead probably sold to the likes of the ex Lord Mayor. And also rather unhappy about the port selloff and where the proceeds are going.

Dunno about Howard. Dunno what impact her being a LNP candidate rather than independent will have.

Curious about the kicked out Libs in Charlestown and the like running as independents. Will that just split the conservative vote?

Dead Man

Well the people I know are all pretty unhappy, especially with the land not being returned to the people and instead probably sold to the likes of the ex Lord Mayor. And also rather unhappy about the port selloff and where the proceeds are going.

Dunno about Howard. Dunno what impact her being a LNP candidate rather than independent will have.

Curious about the kicked out Libs in Charlestown and the like running as independents. Will that just split the conservative vote?

Yeah, that doesn't sound dodgy at all. :/

wonzo

Banned
from todays crikey on the two behind the spill

[Luke Simpkins] has also argued for banning the burqa, and he was one of only four Liberal members to oppose the apology to the stolen generations, citing that “it could lock in negativity about the future,” and that he would “again back children being taken in this situation”.

…

His colleague Don Randall was another of the MPs absent when the stolen generation apology motion was unanimously passed.

markot

Banned
6079672-16x9-700x394.jpg

Jintor

I hear Abbott is going to have a Leigh Sales interview tonight on 7:30. Should be good.

By the by, I heard 60 min had a ridiculous Lindt Cafe reconstruction yesterday and it was real dumb. Anyone confirm?

I hear Abbott is going to have a Leigh Sales interview tonight on 7:30. Should be good.

By the by, I heard 60 min had a ridiculous Lindt Cafe reconstruction yesterday and it was real dumb. Anyone confirm?

Sounds like a great opportunity for Leigh to further expand her real estate portfolio.

"Mr Abbott, Do you want to bet your house on you leading the coalition at the next election?"

Yagharek

from todays crikey on the two behind the spill

[Luke Simpkins] has also argued for banning the burqa, and he was one of only four Liberal members to oppose the apology to the stolen generations, citing that “it could lock in negativity about the future,” and that he would “again back children being taken in this situation”.

…

His colleague Don Randall was another of the MPs absent when the stolen generation apology motion was unanimously passed.

Not surprising. Racism thrives in WA.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Abbott said:
I beat Kevin Rudd, I beat Julia Gillard, I can beat Bill Shorten as well.
Oh Tony, you do know you didn't win in 2010 don't you?
Abbott said:
Good government starts today.
I doubt it.

Backburner's been doing pretty good too. It must be hard to do political satire when the two best methods for detecting satire are: 1) A politician being frank, honest and open and 2) Being on the plausible side of WTF?! when in reality policy proposals are on the implausible side of WTF?! ( Knighting an IPA member is probably satire, knight Prince Phillip is real)

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Alan Jones on Q&A. That must have been more train wreckish than normal.
I saw Bowen clown him twice in the space of about 90 seconds at the beginning; that was enough for me.

Myansie

The Daily Telegraph are reporting 6 ministers voted against Abbott. Ministers, not members, not a mistake. Apparently Abbott went into the room expecting 70 votes and was visibly rattled when the count came to 61. 9 members lied to him directly, presumably 6 of them ministers.

Ordinarily I wouldn't reference the Tele, but on issues concerning the right they have some cred.

"Trust us"

Edit:Found the link http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/turncoats-six-ministers-among-the-traitors-as-abbott-safe-beyond-the-budget/story-fnpn118l-1227213921518?sv=e3c859344de943dce84d1b294d27db1e

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm eagerly anticipating the contortions required to blame Labor's D&D DISASTER (TM) for the sluggish economic conditions whilst simultaneously explaining that the Liberal's GOD-GIVEN ECONOMIC PROWESS (R) has led them to wisely reduce their rate of fiscal contraction to support the economy through this tough time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So today I was made redundant, under reasonable (as in, I accept it) terms, entirely due to the Libs restructuring (read: total fucking) of social services. Long story short; amassed frozen accounts and funding for Job Services Providers. There will be waves of redundancies through them, and anybody related to that industry.

THANKS LIBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom