• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did they deserve to die under Indonesian law? The death penalty is not the only sentence that's possible given the crime, do you have a good argument as to why the harshest penalty available should have been used in this case? Do you think that the harshest penalty should be used in every case? Do you agree with mandatory sentencing, for example? It's certainly a valid position to take, I'm not sure if it is your position, which is why I'm asking.

Also, a life sentence which no one in the world would've given two shits about, would have also prevented these men from re-offending, could you give me a good reason as to why that would have been an inappropriate punishment in this case?

Because drugs are the scourge of society, a harsh lesson needs to be taught and demonstrated to others that using drugs and trafficking drugs is not on.

The harshest penalty should be used in 99.9% cases - it would put a stop to the scenario of someone being let out and offending again.

Because it's the Indonesian way to give the harshest penalty possible ?

You can't alter the past and you can't dictate to a foreign government how to apply the law in their country. Just because a bunch of idiot Australians did the wrong thing, they made the stupid decision to do it and they paid the price.

Jintor

The harshest penalty should be used in 99.9% cases - it would put a stop to the scenario of someone being let out and offending again.

In a perfect world maybe... but the amount of miscarriages of justice this would produce is... well, worrying.

I'm speaking as an overall philosophical concept, not just in this case, of course.

The harshest penalties for a crime ,even in our justice system, are usually vastly disproportionate to the average criminal act of that type because they are there for particularly heinous incidents. Heck, there's a fair few instances where the mandatory minimum is vastly disproportionate to the average act let alone the most minor. But even that's still vastly superior to a mandatory death penalty for loitering.

bomma_man

I'd like to add that the countries with lowest rates of crime and lowest rates of recidivism are the countries with the 'softest' approach to crime.

But I guess if we killed everyone that jaywalked the recidivism rate would be 0! Genius!

DrSlek

I'd like to add that the countries with lowest rates of crime and lowest rates of recidivism are the countries with the 'softest' approach to crime.

But I guess if we killed everyone that jaywalked the recidivism rate would be 0! Genius!

Rehabilitation is far more effective than punishment.

That's because being tough is seen as a greater benefit than being effective/efficient when toughness is valued. Talking about reform to make the justice system fair and to reduce recidivism will basically lose you an election against anyone running on being tough on crime.

Its the same way people complain about the money spent on social safety nets ( "dole bludgers", pension, etc) and ignore that the lack of such systems tend to correspond to terrible living conditions and high crime and corruption rates.

The "satisfaction" of people getting what they "deserve" is more important than minimizing the real cost.

Arksy

I'm not sure if that's a tautology.

Hmmm. I think it is if we count recidivism as the filing of further charges but its probably possible to devise a scenario where a dead person could still be validly charged with a crime of the same type despite having been deceased at the time the necessary condition happened (conspiracy comes to mind as a good candidate).

bomma_man

That's because being tough is seen as a greater benefit than being effective/efficient when toughness is valued. Talking about reform to make the justice system fair and to reduce recidivism will basically lose you an election against anyone running on being tough on crime.

Its the same way people complain about the money spent on social safety nets ( "dole bludgers", pension, etc) and ignore that the lack of such systems tend to correspond to terrible living conditions and high crime and corruption rates.

The "satisfaction" of people getting what they "deserve" is more important than minimizing the real cost.

the most recent this American life has a good example of this in its back half

mjontrix

White Force was out in force at my work on Friday due to the protests. Couldn't hear more victim blaming and pathetic justifications for indigenous community closures if you tried.

Disappointed to say the least.

Seems implausible. They've still got over a year left and the senate has fixed terms, so it won't overcome the senate problem unless its a DD. Basically I see no reason at all why they wouldn't leave it until next years budget to do that even if they think its a plan.

Jintor

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-02/australians-working-abroad-to-repay-student-loans/6439888

Tens of thousands of Australians living overseas will no longer be able to avoid paying off their student loans, under new measures to be announced in the Federal budget.

Education Minister Christopher Pyne said from 2017, Australians living overseas will be legally obliged to repay their HECS and HELP debts.

New legislation will target those who have been living abroad for more than six months and who are earning more than $53,000 a year.

Better than charging dead people!

Arksy

Seems implausible. They've still got over a year left and the senate has fixed terms, so it won't overcome the senate problem unless its a DD. Basically I see no reason at all why they wouldn't leave it until next years budget to do that even if they think its a plan.

Constitutionally, if the budget doesn't pass then the government immediately resigns and a DD election is held.

As I understand it though that's a mere formality since after the Whitlam thing there's been something of an agreement where the non-controversial issues are put into one bill (which is "the budget") and passed by the major parties together (if there's a need for it) and other issues are handled separately. So its almost impossible for that clause to be triggered.

hidys

Probably someone in Abbott's office leaked something to Laurie Oakes about a DD.

I suspect they are just throwing darts and seeing what will hit.

John Quiggan has blog post saying why this is a bad idea (if that wasn't obvious enough already)

I think the key takeaway from his post is that governments of any popularity tend to be punished when they go to the polls early and Abbott could not survive the kind of punishment he would be dealt in that circumstance.

Dryk

Good, no idea why this isn't done already.
If they can turn a profit on it they might as well do it. I do worry a little about a government that doesn't like a large public service adding duties to the public service that ideally would require extra staff for comparatively little monetary gain.

Dryk

At least someone near the government understands how to manage human capital properly. Pity the current government doesn't know how to listen to public servants.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...t-defence-advice-on-subs-20150503-1mxxjp.html

The advice, prepared in consultation with the chief of navy Vice-Admiral Ray Griggs, concluded: "The strategy for Future Submarine construction is to renew the dormant capability resident in ASC Pty Ltd and its facilities as a start point. However, as ASC lacks some skills and capital to undertake this large task alone, additional skills and resources should be introduced, ideally from Australian companies to maximise sovereignty."

Defence acknowledged that Australia lacked "whole boat design capability" and would require some international help with design.

DrSlek

So Facebook has been banned in Nauru....possibly at the request of the Australian Government.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...auru-facebook-ban-requested-australia/6444506

ABC Facebook said:
A ban on Facebook in Nauru was implemented at the request of the Australian government according to a refugee advocacy group.

Facebook users in Nauru discovered on Thursday they had been denied access to the social media site, with a local MP saying it was an attempt by the Nauru government to curb free speech and criticism.

mjontrix

Evidence?

Probably a national secret if they did so no Australian reporter is going to give a firm report on it if it's true.

In this case though I doubt it, blocking FB wouldn't have much effect on the state of the refugees so I dunno, maybe it's just a political thing in Nauru.

Arksy

I find it pretty hard to believe, to be honest. It's possible, but....I'm going to need more evidence then hearsay.

Fredescu

I'm going to need more evidence then hearsay.

Good idea, just hold off until all those investigative journalists with full and unfettered access to the detention facilities and with full government co operation get to the bottom of this. It will be any day now, surely.

She should have resigned after the election TBH.

Nah, its always risky to resign after an election that's swung for another party since your successor tends to lose the incumbent advantage and cop a bit of backlash for you not serving your term.

Hoping for Ludlum, will probably get Hanson-Young or Bandt. The vote is at 11.30am.

Can't see it being Bandt, just due to organisational issues (having the leader in the Reps and most of the party in the Senate would be awkward and as long as he stays in the Reps he's basically guaranteed Deputy) . Otherwise agree with you.

wonzo

Banned
screenshot2015-05-06awluxw.png

Can't see it being Bandt, just due to organisational issues (having the leader in the Reps and most of the party in the Senate would be awkward and as long as he stays in the Reps he's basically guaranteed Deputy) . Otherwise agree with you.

I absolutely agree when you have 10+ senators compared to 1 from the reps the leadership and the party's focus should be the senate. Naming Bandt as leader might be a push to expand their presence in the reps. The Greens have been pretty successful in Victoria and NSW recently so imagine they will go hard in central Melbourne and the Inner West of Sydney at the the next ferderal election.

Di Natale has declared. Decent choice.

hidys

Nah, its always risky to resign after an election that's swung for another party since your successor tends to lose the incumbent advantage and cop a bit of backlash for you not serving your term.
eh, I dunno, she handled the transition after Brown retiring pretty well and they have been able to take their own time to sort things out.

They lost a around a third of their vote in the last election and only gained senators in 3 states (though they did win WA in a by-election).

That's really bad and because of that they will see their numbers drop next election cycle unless they can repeat their 2010 showing (which is getting a senator in every state).

I really don't think she has much of an advantage being an incumbent, she isn't exactly Bob Brown and she has as pretty low profile.

Also Ludlam obviously.

Did I miss something in the news letter ? Because I didn't see anything about being anti-family (or is he one of those that thinks letting homosexuals get married will destroy the family ?). And not much about community destroying either , though I can see how it could be spun that way for very specific values of community and destroy.

Jintor

remember that allowing gays to marry trees will destroy the nuclear family (because they're anti nuclear) as we know it

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
But I love freedom, families and communities! Those bastards! They probably hate all our favourite TV shows as well!

danm999

Did I miss something in the news letter ? Because I didn't see anything about being anti-family (or is he one of those that thinks letting homosexuals get married will destroy the family ?). And not much about community destroying either , though I can see how it could be spun that way for very specific values of community and destroy.

Supporting LGBT rights is anti-family. Parks and Rec explained it best; when you support marriage for gays, you ruin it for everybody else.

Detaining innocent Indian doctors and keeping them from their families for extended periods though, that's just the sort of pro-family platform Kevin Andrews is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom