• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

It's what The Guardian said.

And I would imagine that if Di Natale wins Bandt won't be deputy anymore since they would want a woman, probably Sarah Hanson-Young or Lee Rhiannon.
But News.com.au said this:
Greens Senator Richard Di Natale, a doctor and the health spokesman for the Greens, said on Twitter he would be putting himself forward as a candidate for the leadership.

Sky News is reporting that two other candidates were also expected to stand: Senator Scott Ludlam and Melbourne MP Adam Bandt. In 2013 Senator Milne reportedly survived an aborted push to challenge her leadership from Bandt, who is currently deputy leader.
I don't know how politics works in this context, but I don't see how they can't have more than two candidates.

hidys

But News.com.au said this:

I don't know how politics works in this context, but I don't see how they can't have more than two candidates.

Oh I didn't say they couldn't. I was just saying what The Guardian said, but if Ludlam is going for it that's a good sign.

EDIT: and according to ABC24 Milne is endorsing Ludlam.

Good.

Arksy

The godless heathens would do well to put Ludlam as the head of the party. He's clearly the best speaker and the most respected person from his party.

Here's a short list of prominent non-Green political figures who like the Greens:

Tumbleweed.gif

hidys

Richard Di Natale with "co-deputies" Scott Ludlam and Larissa Waters.

They were elected unopposed, which is why it took an hour.

danm999

Amazing. Why is Milne retiring?

Seems personal reasons.

Speculation is running rampant on social media though; from everything to secret conspiracies to the Greens have heard a double dissolution is coming ala Laurie Oakes a few days ago.

wonzo

Banned
was hoping ludlam or shy would be leader but di natale's a good choice. could do much worse

I don't think Chris Uhlmann like the Greens.
a catholic conservative married to a right wing labor mp doesn't like the greens? shockhorror

Richard Di Natale with "co-deputies" Scott Ludlam and Larissa Waters.

They were elected unopposed, which is why it took an hour.

I can't see the co-deputies thing ending well (mainly because there's usually some baaad politics going on when it happens) but I'm hoping for the best.

Shaneus

Don't get me wrong I don't mind Di Natale, but wish it could've been Ludlam :(

Does this affect his standing in Melbourne at all?

danm999

Ah the media. So terribly concerned for the nation's stability when there's political turmoil, so terribly concerned for transparency and freedom when there isn't.

Omikron

Christine Milne stood up and said "Hey why don't we look at the cost-benefit of debt on a case-by-case basis instead of declaring it all bad or all good" during the last election cycle, and nobody paid attention. I'm not going to forget that.

This is a joke right?

Well. There is a Rita Panahi joke account. But the official one tends to out do it.

Still remember calling her out on an error in one of her opinion pieces, to which it was dismissed as to the fact she was an opinion writer, not a journalist.

Dryk

Also I love that bitter people are using the #greenspill tag and trying to make a big deal out of this when it's just an old senator retiring. Failing I might add.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
And could you believe....some or the bastards even place their toilet rolls with the ends at the front!
Appalling. Anarcho-primitivist agenda confirmed.
Amazing. Why is Milne retiring?
She apparently wants to spend more time with her family after 25 years in politics, which is obviously incompatible with the hardcore anti-family stance of the Greens.

mjontrix

I read this as how dare they change leaders without giving us the opportunity to make several days of speculatory coverage.

DING!

And Ludlam won't be leader yet, too early. They can use him in a pinch when they need the star power, as in when they try to go for PM (which is still very far away).

I can't wait to see what Something Awful AusPol has to say! Time to go check the thread

They have an Auspol? They have an Auspol. But it costs moneys to read so...

LOL'd at what Shorten had on his twitter about Labor being the only party that let members choose leaders - who was it again that helped Gillard backstab Rudd again?

Blib Snooten said:
Only one political party in Australian gives its members a say in choosing their leader.

...and then does whatever the right faction wants anyway.

I would have preferred Ludlum, but I can't blame the greens trying to shore up their Victorian/NSW mainland stronghold. Ludlum is pretty lucky to still be in parliament and Lee Rhiannon in NSW was never a serious candidate.

I suppose you can't have Di Natalie and Bandt in leadship as they are both from victoria, but I bet SHY is pissed right now.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but do you think Rudd would have implemented those leadership reforms if Shorten hadn't helped to both depose and reinstate him? To ordinary people it might've looked like a short term reaction to poor polling, but Bill is a canny political operator who saw a chance to instigate long term change and seized it with both hands.

Yeah, but do you think Rudd would have implemented those leadership reforms if Shorten hadn't helped to both depose and reinstate him? To ordinary people it might've looked like a short term reaction to poor polling, but Bill is a canny political operator who saw a chance to instigate long term change and seized it with both hands.

Is pretending to hold that position as intellectually painful as it looks ? Because my brain is wincing just from reading that.

danm999

Wait... if that ("Only one political party in Australian gives its members a say in choosing their leader.") was the case, wouldn't we have Albo as Labor leader?

Yes, were I Bill Shorten I wouldn't be tugging on that cord too hard.

He's not exactly polling great against Abbott as PPM either.

Arksy

The ALP membership ballot is kind of flawed, you could get the situation where the PM doesn't actually hold the confidence of caucus, which I think would be kind of obscene and is probably why everyone in the caucus decided to swing heavily to Shorten. It's a decent idea, and I think it'll get better over time...but open primaries with no Citizens United is best.

The ALP membership ballot is kind of flawed, you could get the situation where the PM doesn't actually hold the confidence of caucus, which I think would be kind of obscene and is probably why everyone in the caucus decided to swing heavily to Shorten. It's a decent idea, and I think it'll get better over time...but open primaries with no Citizens United is best.

Actual democracy is kind of incompatible with the notion of political parties/factions (particularly in the Representative method where a 51/49 split gets the 49% no representation at all), so there's always going to be issues. Even with the ALP method though it'd be really hard for a prime minister not to have confidence of the caucus (since Caucus gets 50% weight)), you'd basically need a situation where the public went over half , but the caucus went under half. Which is not impossible but pretty unlikely and given the historically weak factional discipline of the left, and the membership being more left than the caucus , its really unlikely to happen in a way that wouldn't be equivalent to the caucus electing their leader anyway.

Shandy

Bill Shorten is probably the kind of guy who tells people to put their ideas into his suggestion box and then points at his bin. Also, the bin has a little basketball hoop on it.

Anyway, Ludlam's a cool guy, if nothing else. I'd say he deserves better than the Greens, but there isn't really anywhere better for him to go, save rolling the dice on being an Independent.

wonzo

Banned
The Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) alerts party registration subscribers when parties are added to the Federal Register of Political Parties, deleted from it, or when their name or abbreviation is changed. An alert is also sent out when the AEC places advertisements inviting objections to a party's application for registration or a change of name and/or abbreviation.

On 4 May 2015, the delegate of the AEC deregistered the Australian Sex Party.
give preferences to one nation brehs

It's a good point, imagine question time if the Labor leader had less than 50% of support in caucus . It would be all "How can the leader of the opposition question me when he/she doesn't even have the support of his/her caucus?" Queue laughing and Chris Pyne turning bright red in smugness.

It should be one member one vote, but the right will never allow that. Hell they allegedly had to resort to branch stacking and ballot stuffing to endure old Bill got across the line.

Jintor

What's with the media speculating endlessly about the greens leadership change

are they not just like

milne is gonna be a grandmother, she doesn't want to be locked in another 6 year senate cycle, she's not gonna stand for an election she doesn't have any intention of completing the senate cycle, therefore leadership change?

has the media just gotten addicted to leadership spills? Did they forget that parties don't have to backstab one another to get to leader?

Omikron

What's with the media speculating endlessly about the greens leadership change

are they not just like

milne is gonna be a grandmother, she doesn't want to be locked in another 6 year senate cycle, she's not gonna stand for an election she doesn't have any intention of completing the senate cycle, therefore leadership change?

has the media just gotten addicted to leadership spills? Did they forget that parties don't have to backstab one another to get to leader?

It's the whiff of Moscow or Pyongyang bro.

It's a damned if you, damned if you don't.

Had there been something with a tenth of the theatrics of the LibSpill earlier in the year, it would have been "go back to dormitories guys, that's where student politics belongs" or "Occupy Martin Place ended a few years ago".

yep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom