• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She apparently wants to spend more time with her family after 25 years in politics, which is obviously incompatible with the hardcore anti-family stance of the Greens.
Having to commute up to Canberra for work all the time must have really sucked, especially if she didn't have a stay at home partner looking after the kids.

Anabel Crabb just published a really great book about women in politics trying to juggle work and family actually, it's excellent.

oh lord. It's actually really handy when people start making the ridiculous left/right divide when complaining because I can instantly disregard them as idiots.

Arksy

It's a good point, imagine question time if the Labor leader had less than 50% of support in caucus . It would be all "How can the leader of the opposition question me when he/she doesn't even have the support of his/her caucus?" Queue laughing and Chris Pyne turning bright red in smugness.

It should be one member one vote, but the right will never allow that. Hell they allegedly had to resort to branch stacking and ballot stuffing to endure old Bill got across the line.

It would be brutal in question time, you'd have fellow Labor MPs trying to undermine the PM as well as the opposition.

wonzo

Banned
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...s-adviser-maurice-newman-20150507-ggwuzt.html

Climate change is a hoax led by the United Nations so that it can end democracy and impose authoritarian rule, according to Prime Minister Tony Abbott's chief business adviser.

Maurice Newman, the chairman of the Prime Minister's business advisory council, has written in The Australian that scientific modelling showing the link between humans and climate change is wrong and the real agenda is a world takeover for the UN.

watermelons under the beds

Rubixcuba

Banned
What just happened in the UK? Are there ramifications for Australian politics? Is there a silent Liberal majority that is ready to defy polls and deliver a Coalition majority come 2015/16 election?

Arksy

What just happened in the UK? Are there ramifications for Australian politics? Is there a silent Liberal majority that is ready to defy polls and deliver a Coalition majority come 2015/16 election?

No ramifications. Their political questions, immigration, Europe, West Lothian Question, fallout from the Scottish independence referendum, are completely their own and have nothing to do with us.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Rookie error, completely forgot. Welp, what even is an Politics major.

Another note, really like how all the parties are present in same room when the results are called.

Jintor

Rookie error, completely forgot. Welp, what even is an Politics major.

Another note, really like how all the parties are present in same room when the results are called.

you don't like one camera in a room of depression and one room in a room of partying?

Arksy

Updates from the UKPoliGAF thread:

- Cameron almost certainly to remain PM

- Ed Miliband is likely to step down tomorrow

- Scottish Nationalists win a shitload of seats

Arksy

So the UK thing... are the parties like their namesakes or what? Who are the actual conservatives and who are the lefties?

The Conservatives (Tories) are centre-right major conservative party.

Lib Dems are a hybrid party formed from the old Social Democrats and Liberals. So they're largely a progressive conservative bunch. Probably the one that causes the most confusion, everyone thinks they're left wing but they're very centrist/soft-right.

The Labour party is largely analogous to our own ALP. Left in the same way that our ALP is left.

The SNP are the Scottish Nationalist Party, very left wing. Easiest way to classify them is that they're social democratic.

Greens: Analogous to the Greens here.

UKIP: Right, small government, anti-EU party.

DUP/UUP: Democratic Unionists/Ulster Unionist parties. Right of centre parties based in Northern Island.

The UKIP are far right ~English nationalists. The conservatives/tory are center-right (actually genuinely so lately weirdly though UKgaf seems skeptical). LibDems were centre leaning left but formed a coalition with the Tories and are now almost extinct. Labor is center left (in the usual anglosphere sense). SNP and Plaid Cymu are left nationalists for Scotland/Ireland respectively. The Greens are Greens. Don't know about the rest.

Edit - Apparently Arksys and I are one very confused person. I blame society.

Where does the shy Tory effect come from anyway ? I mean it doesn't seem to exist in other similar countries (like the US and Australia, though Canada may have a similar phenomenon), so it doesn't seem to correlate with Conservatives being shy (which frankly makes even less sense in a UK perspective where a significant chunk of Tory history had them as the part of the upper part of society who weren't exactly known for humility).

hidys

Where does the shy Tory effect come from anyway ? I mean it doesn't seem to exist in other similar countries (like the US and Australia, though Canada may have a similar phenomenon), so it doesn't seem to correlate with Conservatives being shy (which frankly makes even less sense in a UK perspective where a significant chunk of Tory history had them as the part of the upper part of society who weren't exactly known for humility).

It exists to some extent in some countries, it's why face to face pollsters have to adjust for it in Australia.

But I don't believe it can swing an election by this much.

bomma_man

It does in America to the extent that conservatives too embarrassed to call themselves Republicans identify as independents.

Besides, free speech doesn't mean anyone is obligated to provide a platform for someone else's views, otherwise internet bans would be illegal, for example.

Jintor

well he's not really talking about free speech, he's talking about diversity of views in academia

of course he's missing the very fundamental point that the whole point about diversity of views is that they be presented, challenged and then shot down because they're fucking bullshit or survive because they've got merit

It would be unwise to assume that an academic idea rejected once should then be treated as forever so. Advancing technology sometimes makes previously nonviable things viable. Sometimes new information changes the way old information was viewed too.

Its worth keeping them around, to avoid loss of knkowedge which latter needs reconstruction.

That doesn't mean they should be given unjustified credibility just that chasing them out of academia is unwise.

(Hmm, that's more or less the summary of my issues with the "its not censorship if you can still make it available in the closed mineshaft 50 miles out of town and I don't like it" crowd. Social views can and should change works and speeches etc are gone forever.)

Cross quote from the OT:

Nothing really surprising there. There's not really a lot of people with an actual dedicated centrist ideology (or you'd have an actual dedicated centrist party). They either arrive there by compromising between what they perceive as extremist positions or swing back and forward based on perceived personal benefit. So a party that "defines" left moving left scoops them up temporarily and then loses them when they adjust to the centre being further right.

Jintor

That doesn't mean they should be given unjustified credibility just that chasing them out of academia is unwise.

(Hmm, that's more or less the summary of my issues with the "its not censorship if you can still make it available in the closed mineshaft 50 miles out of town and I don't like it" crowd. Social views can and should change works and speeches etc are gone forever.)

It's hardly chasing it out of academia. But the idea that it's worth a publicly funded "consensus centre" to pursue this viewpoint when by and large we already have a scientific consensus that pyne just happens not to like is inane. Whining about it afterwards more so.

Yeah the Consensus Center is well into the undue credibility area (seriously you may as well have a Consensus Center for mediating for Newtonian Mechanics as a true description of the universe). I just get tetchy about certain trends and so tend to chirp up when sometimes phrases things a certain way even if I agree with the immediate action.

wonzo

Banned
The UK is one of the most Class stratified and conscious countries in the world so there's a very large (and rightful imo) stigma associated with Tory voters. FWIW the effect's far more prominent (even here in aus) with face-to-face polling.

wonzo

Banned
CEhXkGaUMAANtls.jpg:orig

Jintor

That first one I get. Just banging a dude might just means you're banging a dude. The rest of it... that's... pretty convincing, at least over a sustained period of time.

Jintor

I mean, I dunno, I dislike double-guessing tribunal/jury/judge decisions because usually they have access to a lot more info than the general public/journalists have, but sometimes stuff just sounds real dumb

bomma_man

I mean, I dunno, I dislike double-guessing tribunal/jury/judge decisions because usually they have access to a lot more info than the general public/journalists have, but sometimes stuff just sounds real dumb

Yeah, the standard of legal reporting is awful.

The UK is one of the most Class stratified and conscious countries in the world so there's a very large (and rightful imo) stigma associated with Tory voters. FWIW the effect's far more prominent (even here in aus) with face-to-face polling.

I actual did some thinking about and it makes sense on an asymmetrical sampling basis as well.

Conservative areas that would cause a shy Left bias (to fit in) tend to be small in population (either because wealthy or rural) and reasonable strongly held , so that effect is minimized.

By contrast Left areas are usually both more centrist (in part because the major left parties are pretty centrist these) and more densely populated, so the number of shy Tories is both higher and in more important areas.

Dryk

That first one I get. Just banging a dude might just means you're banging a dude. The rest of it... that's... pretty convincing, at least over a sustained period of time.
Even if he's faking that's way more work than I ever put into obtaining citizenship

I may be a hard Greens voter, but I can't agree with anyone here that Ludlam is the right choice for the Greens leader. Co-deputy is perfect for his platform and for allowing him to be as vocal as the Greens need him to be.

Di Natale is perfect, and exactly what the Greens need right now. Prestigious medical background. Evidence based. Powerful presence and well spoken.

Larissa I've been a big fan of ever since I first voted for her back in QLD. Her "no gender December" can take a hike though.

Hansen-Young is the Christopher Pyne of the Greens. She challenged for leadership already back in 2013 and failed. Glad her student-state politics are kept to her current scope.

The Greens are in good hands with this current trio.

OK guys, the UK blew it. If you guys blow the next election too, that means America will likely hold the "Anglo country with the least shitty leader" belt for another for probably the first time in forever.

(No, the Kiwi's don't count. They're fighting over like 12 dollars in real money. :))

OK guys, the UK blew it. If you guys blow the next election too, that means America will likely hold the "Anglo country with the least shitty leader" belt for another for probably the first time in forever.

(No, the Kiwi's don't count. They're fighting over like 12 dollars in real money. :))

Australia will blow it too.
We're much dumber than the UK

Jintor

Australia will blow it too.
We're much dumber than the UK

I don't know. In spite of not having any real alternative sentiment has been pretty poisonoous towards abbott for like half a year or more now

of course if the libs backstab him and say 'we'll change honest' i don't know if the public will just roll with that.

I don't know. In spite of not having any real alternative sentiment has been pretty poisonoous towards abbott for like half a year or more now

of course if the libs backstab him and say 'we'll change honest' i don't know if the public will just roll with that.

They'll get across the line somehow.
Abbott will either continue to play it safe and bland like he has for the last few months, Australians will forget how much of a cunt he is, and they'll narrowly win a second term.
Or they'll replace him and ride the honeymoon wave to an election.

hidys

https://newmatilda.com/2015/05/09/growing-greens-christine-milne-and-life-party

Here is an absolutely brilliant article by Simon Sheikh, former Greens candidate for the ACT.

He talks about generational change and what the Greens need to do now.

...The way the Greens function is as important as its policies, as it sends a powerful message to potential voters. The easiest way to begin the process of internal party reform is to open up the party to participation from voters who aren't members. To be beaten by the major parties in this effort would be an embarrassment...

...Maintaining the new surge of young Greens voters who have been attracted to the party is also about modernising the party's policies. As many of the party's new voters start having kids and mortgages, family friendly policies will need to be well communicated.

Support for alternative childcare and education arrangements will be appealing to this group of voters. The traditional opposition of the Greens to flexible childcare and private education will not.

Economic policies that respect the role of business, entrepreneurship and aspiration in society will need to be balanced alongside the reality that limitless growth in a finite planet is simply not possible.

Households with million dollar homes (or million dollar mortgages) and double incomes can not be alienated given the huge percentage of the Greens voter base this demographic now represents.

These households understand the importance of budgeting and of prudent fiscal management. But they also understand the need to invest in growing productivity across the economy and of investing in new industries.

They aspire to be personally wealthy but they also believe in protecting the planet and standing up for society's vulnerable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom