• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

Government going hard after families and women using the PPL scheme as intended. Not sure this is going to work how they think it will.

Dryk

VbBtRSr.png

Government going hard after families and women using the PPL scheme as intended. Not sure this is going to work how they think it will.

I do think its kind of odd that if the original intention was 26 weeks why they didn't legislate that explicitly (rather than indirectly for some via combining work place and government policy). Failure to state goals properly made it pretty much inevitable the double dipping argument would occur and on the face of it, its correct.

ETA - Look at me being surprised by the ALPs ability to shoot itself in the foot with economic compromises and poor communication. I don't know what came over me.

Omikron

I do think its kind of odd that if the original intention was 26 weeks why they didn't legislate that explicitly (rather than indirectly for some via combining work place and government policy). Failure to state goals properly made it pretty much inevitable the double dipping argument would occur and on the face of it, its correct.

ETA - Look at me being surprised by the ALPs ability to shoot itself in the foot with economic compromises and poor communication. I don't know what came over me.

I mean, I am pretty pissed as I am, I suppose, directly one of the so called double dippers.

Wife gets PPL via workplace (teacher) and also intend on taking the fed version once workplace paid leave runs out.

danm999

Yeah, politically at least it's definitely an interesting opening act in a budget ostensibly "for families" and pitched as dull.

Though I think they're still in the mindset the last budget was sunk by message rather than policy, hence them stressing the word "fairness" whenever they talk about it.

So how is Theiss pulling that off ? Industrial action is protected under Australian law.

Though that contract seems to be standard issue boiler plate targeted at either the UK or the US (note the "the AUSTRALIA").

I was gonna say.

I didn't think industrial relations had fallen that far.

We need to take a serious look at reforming 457 visas in this country, with a view to seriously restrict their usage.

Shit is ridiculous.

I don't think they are necessarily a bad thing as such. Its more that we basically take companies word on which industries have insufficient domestic skill* and that they are actually obeying the law when using them. Its the kind of area that really does need effective oversight.

*which they often interpret as insufficient domestic skill willing to work for cheap.

D.Lo

*which they often interpret as insufficient domestic skill willing to work for cheap.
That has been my experience.

Locals of that level of expertise want $200k? 457 + 60k!

You basically just have to 'advertise' and not get anyone right for the job.

Some good people come this way, but it is not really a skills shortage.

Quasar

As expected Uncle Joe plans to attempt to collect some GST monies on digital products which currently don't collect GST.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/fede...g-companies-avoiding-tax-20150511-ggyv3w.html

Curious to see if this works at all. Certainly major digital business like iTunes and Google Play already collect GST. So even if it works it does not seem to be as much of a gold mine as people might think.

And it reduces my enthusiasm to changing my US Netflix account to a Australian one.

Curious about Steam. Some publishers already massively overcharge people in some effort to enforce parity with local B&M.

Dryk

Curious about Steam. Some publishers already massively overcharge people in some effort to enforce parity with local B&M.
Like I keep saying to people in the thread, publishers that are enforcing parity with B&M don't really have a choice but to eat the cost because it's not in their best interests to be selling the digital versions at a higher price.

senahorse

Like I keep saying to people in the thread, publishers that are enforcing parity with B&M don't really have a choice but to eat the cost because it's not in their best interests to be selling the digital versions at a higher price.

But have you checked Steam prices lately. There are examples like GTAV, Witcher 3, Project Cars that already sell more than they do at retail (and that's only using EB). Then there are bizarre examples like BLOPS2 selling for $90USD and $30AUD at EB. All I was saying in that other thread is don't be surprised if certain companies do jack their prices.

Omikron

But have you checked Steam prices lately. There are examples like GTAV, Witcher 3, Project Cars that already sell more than they do at retail (and that's only using EB). Then there are bizarre examples like BLOPS2 selling for $90USD and $30AUD at EB. All I was saying in that other thread is don't be surprised if certain companies do jack their prices.
Activision won't absorb it.

Quasar

I guess given Origin collects GST now we'll see prices like they are there.

Quasar

This is going to be a nightmare. Logistically that is.

Part of the reason why they are only looking at a shortlist of companies I imagine. well that and I imagine a top 20 or top 50 would probably equate to most digital purchases/subscriptions. At least on the consumer side.

Certainly looking at entertainment, if they have google, apple, MS, Sony, nintendo, Amazon, Netflix, Steam collecting GST whats left is little more than crumbs.

Arksy

Part of the reason why they are only looking at a shortlist of companies I imagine. well that and I imagine a top 20 or top 50 would probably equate to most digital purchases/subscriptions. At least on the consumer side.

Certainly looking at entertainment, if they have google, apple, MS, Sony, nintendo, Amazon, Netflix, Steam collecting GST whats left is little more than crumbs.

So people get to go to third party retailers and these companies lose a huge amount of revenue. Instead of going to Amazon for a brand you can just go to a small internet business to buy your things. It will be good to help the small guys out but this is hardly fair.

Quasar

So people get to go to third party retailers and these companies lose a huge amount of revenue. Instead of going to Amazon for a brand you can just go to a small internet business to buy your things. It will be good to help the small guys out but this is hardly fair.

Well given its digital goods and not physical I'm not sure there are many so called small guys.

Certainly not when it comes to retailing of digital copies of media. It tends to be tied to the platform owners (and almost all of them already collect GST). PC gaming being one exception.

With that it could create one curiousity. If Steam starts to collect GST, but say Green Man Gaming stays under the radar you could have folks just all buying Steam codes from GMG to avoid GST.

Dryk

Most retailers here have been selling games at below RRP for a while now. I have no fucking idea how but they're doing it.

RRP includes whatever they consider appropriate markup for a region, so there's usually a fair chunk of profit in there, that they can cut a bit and make up in volume if the economic conditions are such to justify it.

EB is also something of a special case, it makes most of its money in trades, which means they are willing to use new games as loss leaders in order to get people into the store to provide and buy second hand stuff.

senahorse

A lot of them are from the UK with an aussie rating sticker stuck over the pegi ones.

So basically, the publishers set the (edit: digital) price at retail RRP, in some (a lot?) of cases retailers aren't happy with those prices so import copies, with shipping costs included and then sell on to customers, pay GST and still make a profit.

Unlikely, the publishers tend to punish large stores that do Grey market stuff.

Gametraders did it , but they'd be lucky to be considered 2nd tier, they are excellent if you're a niche gamer type (willing to do import orders etc.

The AU over UK thing probably is Nintendo themselves, they've never used the AU region lock flag (EU is defined as EU + AU) and Nintendo of Australia barely qualifies as a marketing department (as far as I can tell about half of what they do involves arranging Pokemon distributions by ringing up EB Games :p).

Fredescu

Other local distributors have done the sticker thing, not just Nintendo. Doesn't mean they're grey imports. The vast majority of them would be legit imports.

Other local distributors have done the sticker thing, not just Nintendo. Doesn't mean they're grey imports. The vast majority of them would be legit imports.

Yeah, most of them are probably done by the publisher / with their consent (AU versions are usually EU versions , sometimes with the language selector disabled, unless the Classification Roulette Board spun up something bizarre. ). Rather than by say EB acting independently.

Yeah, most of them are probably done by the publisher / with their consent (AU versions are usually EU versions , sometimes with the language selector disabled, unless the Classification Roulette Board spun up something bizarre. ). Rather than by say EB acting independently.

Absolutely, I wasn't trying to imply they were going behind the local distribution branch, probably just doing a deal with both the Australian and UK/EU branches to get stock a little cheaper. Coming with the guarantee of, I imagine, large volumes across multiple franchises, not just popular ones, prominent store and advertising placements etc...

mjontrix

Getting ready to put up the Budget thread if there's any interest.

Needs a sig though - last year's was Throw some debt on the barbie, what should it be this year?

Jintor

Like em, second one is 3 characters too long though...

2015 Australian Government Budget |OT|

^If I remove the |OT| and just put a | by itself it should fit but lets see what else people can come up with.

2015 Australian Budget |OT| Please pass our fair budget this time

Dryk

Jeez there's more fairs in here than a Ness mirror match at the moment

2015 Australian Budget |OT| Please pass our fair budget this time
Is there enough room to cram a second fair in there?

Please pass our fair budget this fair time
Please fairly pass our fair budget. Fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom