• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez there's more fairs in here than a Ness mirror match at the moment
lol. I can see the Murdoch headlines already.

"Fair-O" Hockey's fair dinkum budget deserves fair go from Senate fairies, fair-weather public.

Then the comics could show him selling off pyramids or sphinxes or golden death masks or something with the words "Labor's Waste" written on them.

mjontrix

I've got it down to 3 -

2015 Australian Budget |OT| "It's only fair you pass our fair budget, fair?"

2015 Australian Budget |OT| "Joe Hockey's last budget, it's only fair."

2015 Australian Budget |OT| Smokin' Joe's Razor

Pick now - only got 25 minutes or so!

hidys

I've got it down to 3 -

Arguably 3 isn't appropriate since this budget will almost certainly cut less than the first.

I'd go with 1.

I've got it down to 3 -

I think 2 has by far the most natural flow while commenting on the situation but its also the only one that has a reasonable chance of proving objectively wrong since Hockey might get 1 more budget if things go well. As a result I'm kind of torn.

I've got it down to 3 -

Slight change:

2015 Australian Budget |OT| "Joe Hockey's last chance, it's only fair."

Might not be his last, but it is his last chance!

wonzo

Banned
I know. It was in response to the article today that they were backing down on the waiting time for newstart, but I was saying the 6 months on/6 months off seems to still apply.
Nah that's just the unchanged language form the last budget. Here's the 2015-16 one.

From 1 July 2016, a standard 4 week waiting period will apply to job seekers who are:

applying for Newstart Allowance,Youth Allowance (other) or Special Benefit, and
aged under 25, and
assessed as eligible for Stream A jobactive assistance

this seems p. fucked up tho

From 1 July 2016, subject to the passage of legislation, job seekers aged under 25 will no longer be eligible to receive Newstart Allowance. For more information about this measure ‘Increasing the age of eligibility for Newstart Allowance and Sickness Allowance’ visit our website.

It kind of makes sense NewStart is intended for older people who've been laid off and are re-skilling, starting a new business etc. If you're under 25 you still have access to other support streams if you're re-reskilling. It does kind of force you towards education though (rather than starting a business, which may not be what they really want to happen).

Nah that's just the unchanged language form the last budget. Here's the 2015-16 one.

this seems p. fucked up tho
Yes, I was giving last year's policy intentionally. What's in that link is about the wait list, I was talking about once they're on the dole, trying to get clarification on that. I'm trying to understand the bolded, not the italicised:

Last year's idea was 6 months waiting time, 6 months getting money, 6 months no money, 6 months money [etc]

The change is 4 weeks waiting time, 6 months getting money, 6 months no money, 6 months money [etc]

Or is that also considered the wait list that went down to 4 weeks?

Hopefully I'm not coming across as obtuse if I misunderstood it all. :)

wonzo

Banned
Yes, I was giving last year's policy intentionally. What's in that link is about the wait list, I was talking about once they're on the dole, trying to get clarification on that. I'm trying to understand the italicised, not the bolded:

Last year's idea was 6 months waiting time, 6 months getting money, 6 months no money, 6 months money [etc]

The change is 4 weeks waiting time, 6 months getting money, 6 months no money, 6 months money [etc]

Or is that also considered the wait list that went down to 4 weeks?

Hopefully I'm not coming across as obtuse if I misunderstood it all. :)
The waiting list changes are to replace the 6 month on/off measure they completely failed to get through the Senate. There's no mention of that coming back in any of this years budget notes I can see unlike Uni fee deregulation so it's safe to say it's dead…

for now.

The waiting list changes are to replace the 6 month on/off measure they completely failed to get through the Senate. There's no mention of that coming back in any of this years budget notes I can see unlike Uni fee deregulation so it's safe to say it's dead…

for now.
Ah, that's good that it failed to go through. The human services site saying when it comes into effect made me think it passed the senate. This is a big relief. Thank you. :)

wonzo

Banned
Ah, that's good that it failed to go through. The human services site saying when it comes into effect made me think it passed the senate. This is a big relief. Thank you. :)
No probs. The line at the top is basically a nice bureaucratic way of saying "shit didn't pass yo!"

Not going to make it? It's almost hit $5k (a fifth of the target) in less than a day. I'd say it'll get to $35k no problemo.

As a rule of thumb you need to make ~half within the first 3 days, and the 1st day is usually the peak (the relatively small announcement might mean that this does better on Day 2 instead which would be nice and change things up a bit). Its usually the 1st and last 3 days that deliver the majority of the funds (and the last 3 days don't happen unless it looks plausible that you'll succeed, which is why you need almost half in the first 3 days).

On the other hand I also derped and figured this was day 2 because I keep forgetting that Kickstarter treats the final day as a collection of hours rather than a day.

Quasar

x2.

ETA - Doesn't look like its going to make it though. Announcing it on Delimiter, which has been dead for over a year now, was probably a mistake. He needs to get some coverage to get the message out to interested people.

I hope so. I posted links on my social media stuff to hopefully expose a few more people.

Omikron

Hmm, taken as a whole this seems sensible but the paranoia about halal certification is idiotic (especially since a lot of things that get railed against are certified as a formality since they qualify by definition unless contaminated).
I think the problem is its from bernardi and obviously after halal. Sure there is a valid reason to look into organic however.

I think the problem is its from bernardi and obviously after halal. Sure there is a valid reason to look into organic however.

It's not a particularly transparent measure from Bernardi. I wonder how much time will be devoted to Halal cert. and how much to Kosher/Organic/GM etc... I suspect the former will get the most coverage!

Dryk

Watching people talk to the cabinet about this budget is hilarious because they can't admit that their two completely different budgets are inconsistent.

EDIT: Turnbull using his spot on The Project to bitch about the media's inaction of cultural attitudes towards violence against women. He's way off topic but he's not wrong.

mjontrix

End of private jets in Australia - fucking Depp ruining it for everyone.

If you're going to go through the terminal anyways no point to it. At least there's going to be some cheap jets!

Good news, Labor will oppose any free trade agreement with a clause allowing corporations to sue governments for laws in place.

http://www.pennywong.com.au/media-releases/abbott-should-follow-howard-on-isds-2/

Not sure it matters.
Let's see, Coalition has 33 votes. Needs 39. Greens will opppose. PUP/Wang is probably for (34). Which means they need 5 of the 7 remaining, but I have very little idea how they'd vote. Theoretically the more right wing ones should oppose this because its more NWO than the UN can dream of being but it doesn't seem to work out that way in practise. And the rest of them are anybody's guess.

wonzo

Banned
CFMUOCLUgAAA_S1.jpg:orig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom