• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be. To me it just sounds like he reached into the slogan grab bag and pulled out "operational matters".

lol, yeah that's probably more likely. He probably should have thought a bit more about the context before he accidentally suggested Australia might be funding people smuggling.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
In George Brandis news:
Why George Brandis could be the first man overboard
I think on merit Hockey should be the one to go but the AG might be a more realistic bet politically.

Also, at the launch of the HRC report on discrimination against LGBTI people:
“The report reminds us how wicked it is to taunt, to embarrass, to abuse, to humiliate young people because of their sexuality and that is one of many of the areas which still need to be urgently addressed by our governments at the state and federal level,” Brandis said.
I could've sworn that I've heard Brandis discuss some of those words in relation to some other form of discrimination, but I can't quite remember when.
Did anyone else watch the first episode of The Killing Season or am I the only one pathetic enough to do that?
I enjoyed the parts about how as the GFC was hitting treasuries and leaders the world over kind of saw Rudd as one of those doomsday preppers who turned out to be right.

danm999

I dunno if we'll see a Cabinet reshuffle in the near future since the narrative they're pushing seems to be everything is back in control; we're getting on with the job (even if almost everything they've done has started a fire in the past two weeks).

As I've said before I think restrictions on causing offense have to be handled very carefully (whether those restrictions are legal or social). There's a tendency for them to be used to shut down any kind of dissenting discussion (just because something is offensive or unpopular doesn't necessarily mean its wrong or even if it is wrong that it contains no value). Furthermore since those doing so tend to feel that they are 100% justified, there tends to be 0 reflection on potential costs and a feeling that restrictions don't go far enough.

About the only thing that causes people to re-evaluate restrictions on the expression of ideas is suddenly realizing that you either are or are about to be on the losing side of the current wave of the cultural war (which is why historically you've seen both left and right strongly oppose censorship on theoretical levels but both of them are right on board with shutting down what they don't agree with when they are in power).

Its a danger of confusing Free Market with Big Business/Wealth which is a disturbingly common pit that Libertarians fall into. I guess to some extent they kind of have to fall into it because in the absence of regulation/intervention a Free Market is going to collapse into that form because of the way markets are unstable (winning 1 round allows you resources to screw your competition with in the next round).

"Well how many asylum seekers are you looking after at your house then?"

So does anyone know where this stupid 'take that lefties!' comeback came from? I keep seeing people using it everywhere, particularly on FB and in news comments. I have no idea what it is supposed to even mean, and when I ask the morons who type it I never get a response.

Dead Man

Saw that. They'll just take it as a sign of success. Or worse it's some sort of false flag op and they will produce evidence that they never paid anyone and that the claims are baseless smearing, muddying any other claims against them.

It's late, and my tinfoil hat is in pessimistic mode, alright?

Fine, I'll go to bed.

Jintor

this is maybe the stupidest, dumbest, most idiotic thing they could've done short of actually just beginning to smuggle people into australia themselves. all that rhetoric about smashing business models and the evils of people smuggling. if it's true it's pretty fucking bad, and even if it's not, the response is at least seven layers of idiotic

Dryk

this is maybe the stupidest, dumbest, most idiotic thing they could've done short of actually just beginning to smuggle people into australia themselves. all that rhetoric about smashing business models and the evils of people smuggling. if it's true it's pretty fucking bad, and even if it's not, the response is at least seven layers of idiotic
Smuggling refugees into Australia ourselves would be a lot cheaper and safer

On the bright side of all this, the Fairfax-IPSOS poll has gone back to 53-47 two-party preferred in Labor's favor, and Shorten's popularity has overtaken Abbot's slightly again, with Fairfax implying that Abbot's stubbornness on marriage equality and the government's fumbling concerning the housing affordibility crisis has pretty much erased what goodwill they earned from the budget, and that the focus on national security, normally the Coalition's strong point, isn't actually doing much to mitigate that. Whoops.

Cathartic, really.

Edit: Holy crap, a mum of two went and did the math on what it would take to properly afford the average house in Sydney, and basically schooled Joe Hockey with an open letter. Granted, the numbers aren't perfect, and it assumes the buyer doesn't have a partner to pitch in on costs, but still.

I wonder if they've pretty much got all the national security points they can short of a 9/11 style event happening.

In "fairness" to Hockey, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't consider award/minimum wage a good job. Considering frequently propose to reduce or abolish it , they obviously feel those jobs are actually bad jobs.

Fredescu

The Australia Property Council are out in force trying to steer the housing affordability conversation away from negative gearing and capital gains tax concessions and towards stamp duty. Abolishing or reducing stamp duty will not decrease the cost of property, as it's already factored into the price by buyers. Remove it and property values will increase to eat up the difference. Which will mean that the percentage fees that real estate agents increase, which is why the property council are spruiking this idea that stamp duty has anything at all to do with it.

Shaneus

I wonder if they've pretty much got all the national security points they can short of a 9/11 style event happening.

In "fairness" to Hockey, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't consider award/minimum wage a good job. Considering frequently propose to reduce or abolish it , they obviously feel those jobs are actually bad jobs.
In her hypothetical though, she wasn't using minimum wage as good, she was using average as good which IMO is more than reasonable.

Arksy

I can't believe that we have Brandis, Barnaby, Turnbull, and Bishop who have been arguing that these new citizenship laws are fucking terrible, and yet Abbott and Dumbass Dutton are pushing ahead with them anyway, despite the fact that their own legal advisers are telling them its unconstitutional.

How fucking thick can you get when your own fucking party tells you're fucking up? Do they not understand how courts work, or why we have them in the first place? The High Court is going to have a fucking field day with this....they're potentially going to shoot themselves in the foot..the high court will probably come out with some sort of Kable case which completely fucks with the governments power.

Eh when it comes to spying and "national security" (and even to law enforcement generally) there's a long history of governments doing appalling / idiotic things. No one wants to eat a major event happening on their watch since people's ability to process the actual effect of rare events with large numbers is low so they do incredibly stupid stuff to avoid it. You get a 911 event in Australia and more than half the population will be justifying torture, indefinite non-judicial detention and capital punishment in about 5 minutes.

The agencies know it too, so they inevitably push the boundaries as far as the can get away with (and many people in those agencies are super paranoid for some reason ....). It usually takes them doing something incredibly stupid during a time where there's no real threat around in order for them to get their knuckles rapped.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Abbott is going to ride the national security horse until it either gets him home safe or collapses exhausted under his weight. Something must be done, this is something, therefore it must be done. If Labor blinks then they're weak on national security. If the judiciary objects then Tony is just trying to do his best for Australians and he'll keep trying no matter what the courts decide, because this issue is too important to just sit back and be idle we need real action boats death cult knife iphone Gillard metadata Rudd tax.

hidys

Abbott is going to ride the national security horse until it either gets him home safe or collapses exhausted under his weight. Something must be done, this is something, therefore it must be done. If Labor blinks then they're weak on national security. If the judiciary objects then Tony is just trying to do his best for Australians and he'll keep trying no matter what the courts decide, because this issue is too important to just sit back and be idle we need real action boats death cult knife iphone Gillard metadata Rudd tax.

I'm still not convinced that Labor can win in 2016, but I really don't think national security will be enough to save Abbott.

This isn't 2001 anymore.

Oh I'm sure Labor can win 2016 (or at least allow the Coalition to lose) , I'm just worried they'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in their traditional fashion.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Government MPs have defended the idea of paying people smugglers to turn asylum seeker boats back to Indonesia, saying it is cheaper than processing asylum seekers.

While no MP has commented on the specific allegation that Australian officials paid people smugglers on board a boat carrying 65 asylum seekers, their language on Monday changed to defending the idea of it, or saying it was a non-issue.Former immigration minister Philip Ruddock said that the government would still be saving money if it did pay off the people smugglers.

"The amount of money that was allegedly paid is nothing in comparison to the cost of processing the excessive amount of people who came to Australia as a result of people smuggling activity," Mr Ruddock told a News Corp paper.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/paying-off-people-smugglers-would-save-money-government-mps-defend-idea-of-payments-20150615-gho8f9.html

I want them all tried and sent to prison. I cannot comprehend how any person could justify the payment of people smuggling with economics.

Dead Man

If you find something to be optimistic about when you wake up, let me know.
I'll let you know.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/paying-off-people-smugglers-would-save-money-government-mps-defend-idea-of-payments-20150615-gho8f9.html

I want them all tried and sent to prison. I cannot comprehend how any person could justify the payment of people smuggling with economics.
Nope, not a damned thing. Criminal motherfuckers.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Nope, not a damned thing. Criminal motherfuckers.

I've never been more angry I don't think. Labor is calling for an inquiry, Greens for the AFP to be involved.

Hilariously, if the AFP were to find cause to bring charges against Minister/Government they would first require the permission of Attorney General George Brandis.

What.

Requiring the Approval of the Attorney General is a fairly common failsafe when laws are deliberately written to be broad.

The law against aiding terrorism financially is hilariously broad (it only requires recklessness as opposed to any kind of knowledge, let alone intent) so that fail safe was basically necessary.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Requiring the Approval of the Attorney General is a fairly common failsafe when laws are deliberately written to be broad.

The law against aiding terrorism financially is hilariously broad (it only requires recklessness as opposed to any kind of knowledge, let alone intent) so that fail safe was basically necessary.

Yeah, completely understand the rationale behind it. Can see the entire issue coming to ahead under a Labor government which (assuming) launches some kind of Royal Commission.

hidys

Yeah, completely understand the rationale behind it. Can see the entire issue coming to ahead under a Labor government which (assuming) launches some kind of Royal Commission.

Unless the Royal Commission has extremely limited terms of reference I could very easily see any Royal Commission into asylum seekers (of any kind) would horribly backfire.

mjontrix

Oh I'm sure Labor can win 2016 (or at least allow the Coalition to lose) , I'm just worried they'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in their traditional fashion.

You crazy? Neither party wants to win the next election since more likely than not the economy will go to the crapper since mining is slowing down and now the entire world knows property is in a bubble.

If Australian Political Parties tried to avoid power when property was in a bubble , I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have had any government during my entire life span.

Shaneus

How about today? http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-former-labor-government-20150615-ghotbt.html

"Cash payments have been made to members of Indonesian people-smuggling rings by Australian intelligence officials for at least the past four years - including under the former Labor government, Fairfax Media has learnt."
Way I've interpreted it (mind you, I've not read any articles at length) was more that Labor incentivised informants and such for information, while the current government is blatantly bribing people actually on the boats to turn back.

I mean, they're quite different things, aren't they?

Edit: Never mind:
Fairfax Media has been told that the practice of intelligence agency officials paying members of people-smuggling networks including boat owners and crews goes back to about 2010 under the then Rudd government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom