• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

I want Dr. Cornel West to host Q&A from now on.
One tweet asked why ?uestlove from The Roots was on Q&A. I laughed.

But jesus, the bigots in that audience last night. That woman who bitched about not making cakes for gay weddings? Come the fuck on. And she couldn't even wait for the microphone to blast forth her homophobia.

senahorse

The Coalition did not receive any advice from security agencies before agreeing to shield 700 of the nation's largest private companies from disclosing their tax affairs on the basis that the information could endanger the personal security of the wealthy individuals behind them.

The Abbott government's plan to rescind parts of Labor's tax transparency laws was justified in large part on the fears of company owners that they could be targeted for kidnap and extortion if they were forced to divulge how much tax their companies pay.

But documents requested under Freedom of Information show Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg did not ask for or receive any advice from the government's own security experts, including the Australian Federal Police, to confirm those fears were real.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/fed...lthy-from-tax-disclosure-20150608-ghiv74.html

No surprises here, well they did say they will be a "no surprises" government.

wonzo

Banned
CG97CM4VIAALtQb.jpg

Fredescu

That's not what I mean by collective at all. I'm talking about subgroups within society, groups like unions, corporations, subcultures (both ethnic and non-ethnic) etc. I'm not talking about providing a right to everyone, we provide health care...to individuals. We provide welfare..to individuals. Everything you mentioned does not actually subtract from the elevation of the individual over the collective.

We provide those things to individuals by forcing other individuals to fund them. Some individuals benefit more than others, some individuals pay more than others. If you're personally in favour of robust state funded health, education, and welfare, then fair enough. I don't see how it arises cleanly from your principle though, or at least requires an unreasonably specific definition of "collective". Someone sharing your principle is going to object to paying tax to fund the health and education of the local economy, because in their eyes that's sacrificing the individual for the collective. I'd be interested to know how you'd approach an argument with someone who held that view.

To your second point, I'm going to take your premise. Not only is society too big and complex for any one person to understand, but people's lives are too rich and detailed for society to understand. You might say "you know best", which I feel is arrogant and best and dangerous at worst. You say you know best but do you really? You have no idea how people prioritise their lives and what matters to everyone. People have dreams and desires that only they know, making them the best people to organise their own lives. Some people prioritise their faith over their own lives, some people prioritise the attaining of wealth, others for charity, others for any number of different things.

We're talking about two different levels of organisation. An individual might or might not know how to best organise their own life, but knowing how to organise a country is a different matter altogether. All I mean by the "I know best" quote, was that's how those in favour of state funded health, education and welfare are often characterised by those opposed to it. I'm not in favour of the state micromanaging peoples lives.

Jintor

like on one hand i realise yeah, calling people homophobes and bigots does nothing to change their mind and just hardens attitudes etc, but it's also, like, what the fuck guys, you're being bigots and homophobes, get it the fuck together

scott morrison is a twit regardless though

Yagharek

I love Ludlam. He's the first real MP that has a solid grasp of gen X and Y issues and how to communicate with us without coming off as pandering or trying too hard.

Hell, I think I might even have some kind of a man-crush on him.

I voted for him. Twice.

danm999

It's a supply issue, so telling buyers to get more money is a hilariously naive piece of advice from someone who is supposed to be directing economic policy.

Yagharek

Brandis, Dutton, Hockey and Abbott have all made themselves out to be complete misanthropic buffoons this week.

just like every week

wonzo

Banned
Colourful language Leyonhjelm. Liberal Democrat Senator David Leyonhjelm was confronted by protesters from the Flat Earth Institute this morning as he turned up to a hearing for the Senate Inquiry into Wind Turbines. Leyonhjelm told the pair to "fuck off" and they asked if he would "come frack with them". When the Senator was challenged about the incident on Twitter he said that the protesters were "not citizens, but parasites". Guessing their free speech is not so important then?

typical libertarians

I love Ludlam. He's the first real MP that has a solid grasp of gen X and Y issues and how to communicate with us without coming off as pandering or trying too hard.

Hell, I think I might even have some kind of a man-crush on him.

Its one thing to have a team that can actually do stuff properly, and its another thing for the leader to be actually able to wield that work like Ludlam can.

Omikron

So wind farms are ugly and loud.

You know what's beautiful and dead silent? Coal power plants and mines.

This is where going on Alan Jones' radio show and just nodding and agreeing with him doesn't work for you. Over and above going on Alan Jones' radio show.

Fredescu

Just everything about that makes me despair, right down the nature of human beings that allows a man like Alan Jones to be popular. How can you be optimistic about anything in the face of that.

Fredescu

He and much of the regression he represents will be dead in the medium term.

Not without much wasted money and many attitudes forged. The specific regression is irrelevant because humans will remain susceptible to anyone that appeals to our base emotions, and given that it a path to money and power, that will continue to happen. "Progression happens eventually" is cold comfort in cases where action is needed quickly, say in the case of climate change. Children are locked up in offshore prison camps by us with our knowledge for that reason. 73% of people believe that the government should revoke the citizenship of sole nationals if they're suspected of terrorism. We're on a fast slope towards a type of fascism that is completely supported by both major parties.

So yeah, we'll probably ultimately get more wind farms and less coal. We'll also all be performative nationalists whereby it will be illegal to not salute when passing an Australian flag, we will have state mandated southern cross tattoos, and new ADR rules will say that all cars must have "If you don't like it, leave" stickers on the back. This is the future and I have seen it.

So she bought a property in Canberra, where the government has slashed public service jobs in a local economy that is driven by the public service sector......what does that have to do with housing prices in Sydney?

1433843714680.jpg

Housing is stagnant in Canberra, it hasn't really dropped and is still very expensive. The issue is that the cheaper housing at the edges of Canberra instead of being 2 hours of Sydney traffic from her job she would be a 1/2 hour in not particularly heavy traffic away from her job. Plenty of of nice new and established housing for <300k-450k, 20-30mins from Parliament house. She sure as hell hasn't bought in North or South Canberra, plenty of 1mill+ stuff there.

Probably should also mention that she is not well liked in her department as she was promoted way beyond her qualifications and talent because well, she has a famous Dad. Also I imagine she is last in line for a forced redundancy.

I eventually watched "The Killing Season" last night, I found it boring and not particularity insightful. Rudd's an egomaniac, Labor aren't even as close to as bad as the LNP make out, Turnbull a moron etc... Nothing we haven't seen before.

Shaneus

Housing is stagnant in Canberra, it hasn't really dropped and is still very expensive. The issue is that the cheaper housing at the edges of Canberra instead of being 2 hours of Sydney traffic from her job she would be a 1/2 hour in not particularly heavy traffic away from her job. Plenty of of nice new and established housing for <300k-450k, 20-30mins from Parliament house. She sure as hell hasn't bought in North or South Canberra, plenty of 1mill+ stuff there.

Probably should also mention that she is not well liked in her department as she was promoted way beyond her qualifications and talent because well, she has a famous Dad. Also I imagine she is last in line for a forced redundancy.
Huh, I'm surprised you know quite a bit about Canberra and her specifically. Something you read or just gleaned from various articles and stuff?

facepalm
More curious about Abbott's daughter though. It's almost an uncomfortable amount you know about her job ;)

One of those well known things around Canberra.

SMH Article

Probably the worst sin the public service is jumping over others for promotion, at lower/mid levels especially when the nepotism is so obvious. The public service, what's left of it, is basically just a big queue, no jumping! It's also very left leaning. People do eventually top out according to the Peter Principle but the higher ups are packed with genuine talent

Fredescu

Turns out libertarians really do want the government to intervene in public health, as long as it's for real diseases like wind turbine syndrome caused by wind farms, and not made up diseases like lung cancer caused by tobacco.

Omikron

Lib senator calling for an enquiry into health effects of wind turbines.

Abbott gloating about destroying wind generation.

Something smells.

It's even more meaningless in politics and business where people will deliver bald faced lies rather than shuck bizarre bylaws and regulations on when information can be shared.

Dryk

Coal - No problem
Smoking - No problem
Climate change - No problem
Wind turbines - Ban this sick filth

Since my Phd project started with wind turbine noise before focusing down on something more fundamental I can be more sympathetic to these concerns than most. But fuck off.

I'm not against investigating potential dangers, the thing that annoys me about Wind Farms is that we've done this investigation, multiple times, finding nothing.

Furthermore if you repeat an investigation enough times, sheer random chance says you'll eventually find that its a statistically significant risk to health (if there's a 5% chance that you'll erroneously diagnose something as being dangerous then after 20 studies there's a 64% chance you'll get an erroneous positive).

I hate "X refuses to deny Y" headlines. It's meaningless.

Generally yeah. I guess it depends on the context though. The quote is a bit... ah..

Host: "surely we wouldn't pay people smugglers - they're criminals!"

Abbott: "*sighs* well what we do is, we stop the boats. By hook or by crook. Because that's what we've gotta do and that's what we've successfully done".

If they aren't doing it definitely sounds like he's not against the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom