• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Labor to turn back boats
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/national/a/28477098/labor-to-turn-back-boats/
Labor is likely to promise to turn back asylum seeker boats for the next election as Opposition Leader Bill Shorten admits the Rudd and Gillard governments erred in handling the issue.

The West Australian understands Labor is preparing to harden its stance on asylum seekers significantly amid fears the coalition is gearing up to paint the Opposition as soft on border security for the poll.

Though Labor has attacked the Government for using the navy to turn asylum boats back to Indonesia, the Opposition will now likely adopt the template.

Mr. Tone

b37D45a.jpg

Fredescu

Fighting the good fight by paying membership fees to a party that does things you don't want them to do, while there is another party with ostensibly similar principles that supports the things you support. I'd hate to see a bad fight.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Fighting the good fight by paying membership fees to a party that does things you don't want them to do, while there is another party with ostensibly similar principles that supports the things you support. I'd hate to see a bad fight.

Whilst I agree with most of the Greens policies, and I mean absolute no offence, Im a realist to which party has the best chance of outing the Liberals. Labor has some very broken policies, in order to fix them change needs to come from within. Has difficult that may be for Labor Leftie in NSW, got to try something.

Also work for a Federal MP, so can't be quitting the party :p

I'm a member of the Greens. I just try not to be horrible to well intentioned ALP members who are trying to get the ALP to do what I view as the right thing.

Arksy

I really, really don't think this bill will hit parliament. If it does, it just goes to show what a fucking joke this country has become. Almost as bad as the UK, which is racing towards continental European style pseudo-liberalism (democratic dictatorship) at a blisteringly fast pace.

Fredescu

Whilst I agree with most of the Greens policies, and I mean absolute no offence, Im a realist to which party has the best chance of outing the Liberals. Labor has some very broken policies, in order to fix them change needs to come from within. Has difficult that may be for Labor Leftie in NSW, got to try something.

Also work for a Federal MP, so can't be quitting the party :p

Hey a jobs a job, but ALP is basically for monied interests just like the Libs. Grass roots change is impossible for them now. If you're motivated enough to put your own money towards a party, it shouldn't be to any of the majors.

I just try not to be horrible

Me too!

To be fair, last I checked, Labor's conference is set to be pretty much even as far as the left and right factions go, meaning the former is going to fight tooth and nail to push away from copying the Coalition's policy.

Well, in general, the conference is gonna be very divisive, since the right no longer have a majority.

wonzo

Banned
This is highly inconvenient to my argument.

Although this is full of shit "a resurgent government". They're getting smashed in all but one poll, and it happened to have been the last ever Newspoll.
yeah it's a lazy narrative peddled by an increasingly simple & lazy media that doesn't really hold up in any poll aggregate

bludgertrack-2015-06-uhjiw.png

Shaneus

Could we see Albo as the head of the Labor party soon? I don't know what's going on so I don't know if the position is up for grabs.

If Shorten fucks this up, against Tony Abbott of all people, he should be pelted with tomatoes wherever he goes.
He wanted the job so badly

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...n_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_facebook

I guess you can just make up any kind of shit you like now and the media will still keep eating out of your hand.

"We're going to keep terrorists out where they're dual nationals and it seems that the opposition wants to bring them home, no doubt roll out the red carpet for them like it rolled out the red carpet for people smugglers when it was in government."

The worst part is labor is only going to try and go harder in order to not look weak. This is just getting more and more out of hand, and there's nothing we can do.

I really am looking forward to the presentation of scientific evidence on the effects of infrasound.

Anecdotal evidence is at the heart of politics. "I've talked to the people in my electorate and they say...", "The Consensus amongst the public is...", "I went home and talked to my family..." and on and on.

The thing with science is eventually they will find an anomaly, on outrider, if they look hard enough. It might be completely discountable, well outside of the error margins and easily explainable within the confidence margin, but those that come at the issue with a result already in mind will congregate around it and ignore the rest.

Fuck science, it's all about the feels.

In funnier news:

Stop the internal votes?
Stop the moderates?

Turnbull the boats?

legend166

Umm, where can you get repayments that low? Their calculations seem way off. Repayments on a $470k mortgage at 4.2% equal $530 a week.

You'd need interest rates at 2% to get $400 a week repayments on a mortgage that big.

So that person is a moron.

Dryk

I really am looking forward to the presentation of scientific evidence on the effects of infrasound.
Considering I researched it a lot to write my first publication I can sum it up pretty easily

- People are complaining about wind turbine noise stressing them out
- The stress is leading to some stress and sleep quality related health problems
- We don't know why
- It might be psychosomatic
- It might be infrasound rattling their windows
- Whatever it is sensitivity varies wildly from person to person

There is no solid link, nor a method of action for any of this. As far as anyone's been able to determine it's not different from living under a flight path or near a freeway, save for a slight possibility that the consistency of turbine noise makes it more annoying. I say that as someone who financially and academically benefits from the assumption that low frequency noise from wind turbines is a problem.

Umm, where can you get repayments that low? Their calculations seem way off. Repayments on a $470k mortgage at 4.2% equal $530 a week.

You'd need interest rates at 2% to get $400 a week repayments on a mortgage that big.

So that person is a moron.
Interest-only loan, I think. On an investment property, it's basically speculation that you're going to see capital growth that exceeds your net costs after rental income. It's a ludicrous position to put yourself in, of course, as it will nearly always lose you money, but luckily, if you're making enough money in your day job, you can just write that off come tax time and you'll still end up ahead.

When it comes to real estate, this country subsidises these sorts of bad investments because reasons.

legend166

Interest-only loan, I think. On an investment property, it's basically speculation that you're going to see capital growth that exceeds your net costs after rental income. It's a ludicrous position to put yourself in, of course, as it will nearly always lose you money, but luckily, if you're making enough money in your day job, you can just write that off come tax time and you'll still end up ahead.

When it comes to real estate, this country subsidises these sorts of bad investments because reasons.

It says principal and interest in that blurb.

Shaneus

Considering I researched it a lot to write my first publication I can sum it up pretty easily

- People are complaining about wind turbine noise stressing them out
- The stress is leading to some stress and sleep quality related health problems
- We don't know why
- It might be psychosomatic
- It might be infrasound rattling their windows
- Whatever it is sensitivity varies wildly from person to person

There is no solid link, nor a method of action for any of this. As far as anyone's been able to determine it's not different from living under a flight path or near a freeway, save for a slight possibility that the consistency of turbine noise makes it more annoying. I say that as someone who financially and academically benefits from the assumption that low frequency noise from wind turbines is a problem.
Weren't they even complaining when they were switched off and not generating any noise at all?

danm999

Bad headline even in the manner which it's intended; Syria isn't ISIS (not that Assad is the nicest chap and has had dealings with them).

I suppose your average Telegraph reader wouldn't get that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom