• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

My biggest hope from this Liberal smear campaign is that Labor finally grows some balls, ditches Shorten and puts in Plibersek. Honestly think the Libs would lose their shit with all the sexist remarks they'll spew, along with competing against someone who actually has a fucking clue.

Just praying that happens. Though I know a lot of people backed Shorten in the Shorten/Albo internal votes and that was when we knew Shorten was a stooge anyway, so whatever :/

My prediction is that they'll lose the next election, but they'll gain some pretty solid ground, giving them a much bigger base of talent to work with. With a bit of housekeeping I would say they have a good chance of winning the 2019 election.

Arksy

Even if Labor get a pretty decent and popular team together, they need an elephant of a damn swing to take hold of the HoR. I don't think it will happen. The election is next year and what are the respective parties going to take to the election?

Maybe it might happen, I don't know. The swings in Vic and Qld were pretty violent. My prediction is that it won't.

Fredescu

Peter Brent made the point in the Oz that this is the first government to his knowledge to be half way through a term and never once poll better than they did on election night.

So on the one hand, I think the electorate wanted Kevin and Julia gone a lot more than they wanted Abbott in. Libs haven't lead in the polls since those two left politics. There's no doubt this is a deeply unpopular government out of touch with polling on just about every issue. I don't think Labor need a wildly popular leader like Rudd because being only slightly more popular than Abbott is enough, and not a very difficult task.

On the other hand, Abbott is a very aggressive campaigner. I've no doubt that the only polls that count are those in the week before the election.

Arksy

Peter Brent made the point in the Oz that this is the first government to his knowledge to be half way through a term and never once poll better than they did on election night.

So on the one hand, I think the electorate wanted Kevin and Julia gone a lot more than they wanted Abbott in. Libs haven't lead in the polls since those two left politics. There's no doubt this is a deeply unpopular government out of touch with polling on just about every issue. I don't think Labor need a wildly popular leader like Rudd because being only slightly more popular than Abbott is enough, and not a very difficult task.

On the other hand, Abbott is a very aggressive campaigner. I've no doubt that the only polls that count are those in the week before the election.

Again, because of the mountain they have to climb. I don't agree with this. The coalition control 90-something of the 150 seats in the HoR. Some 25-30 seats have to fall to Labor for them to take it. I don't think slightly more popular will do. I think you'll end up getting the recent state election in SA where the libs took over 54% (a decent margin) and still came up two seats short to gain government.

Fredescu

The mountain is smaller than 1998 and the polling is similar. It's not "90 something" it's flat 90, less than Howard in 1996. A similar result to 1998 will see Abbott lose office.

Shaneus

I don't think Labor need a wildly popular leader like Rudd because being only slightly more popular than Abbott is enough, and not a very difficult task.
It's not a difficult task but Shorten has one thing against him that Abbott doesn't: voter apathy. So while he's less unpopular than Abbott, that doesn't make him more popular IMO. If you know what I mean :)

JC Sera

Neither am I :( Although given the ridiculous pandering to Liberals of late I'm not sure I could stand labor being in power either.
Pretty much this. Current labor is making me sick to my stomach. I'm at least glad greens is a semi-reasonable option in this country, and the last two elections has shown with greens+independents, that power wise (ability to put legislation through, ect ect) this isn't just a two party system.

Fredescu

It's not a difficult task but Shorten has one thing against him that Abbott doesn't: voter apathy. So while he's less unpopular than Abbott, that doesn't make him more popular IMO. If you know what I mean :)

Yes, he's exactly what Abbott was in 2013. No one likes him, but he's the ticket to get rid of the unpopular incumbents. He doesn't have Rudd like popularity, but as he's not unseating a popular PM, he doesn't need it.

He does need to be able to cut through during a campaign, and I doubt he can. But if this from Abbotts speech to the Liberal party council is any indication, he might not need that either.

CIecyuhUkAEGE0t.jpg

Omikron

We're for all things for you.

Edit: in other things, 2 people (Nick Cater (Menzies research centre) and Alan Tudge (Abbott parliamentary secretary)) have pulled out of tonights Q&A for reasons related to last week.

JC Sera

I don't know if you can pull off that speech IRL. If you say it with the wrong tone, it could come off as...very Paternalistic/Orwellian. And Tony Abbott is exactly the sort of person who would fuck something like that up. Whoever had the idea to gag him during the last election was the brightest member of their press team.

wonzo

Banned
can't really see the libs being re elected at the next election, leader popularity (or lack thereof) has never mattered historically and i can't see it starting to this time

Edit: in other things, 2 people (Nick Cater (Menzies research centre) and Alan Tudge (Abbott parliamentary secretary)) have pulled out of tonights Q&A for reasons related to last week.
if enough right wing reactionaries pull out then maybe qanda will be worth watching

Shaneus

He does need to be able to cut through during a campaign, and I doubt he can. But if this from Abbotts speech to the Liberal party council is any indication, he might not need that either.
"If you own a fuckload of properties and claim living away from home by renting a house in your wife's name, we're for you".

So "we're for you" is their new three word slogan? Ugh.

Pretty much this. Current labor is making me sick to my stomach. I'm at least glad greens is a semi-reasonable option in this country, and the last two elections has shown with greens+independents, that power wise (ability to put legislation through, ect ect) this isn't just a two party system.
Yup.

can't really see the libs being re elected at the next election, leader popularity (or lack thereof) has never mattered historically and i can't see it starting to this time
I'm not sure what I'd rather have more... Abbott out but a government in that's not all that different by comparison, or Abbott in for a second term, Shorten out and a solid leader for the Labor party. Let there be no doubt, if Shorten manages to lose the next election, he'll be out on his arse VERY fucking quickly. Maybe then Labor will grow some policies (and gumption) of their own.

Jintor

i noticed my personal facebook wall is almost entirely aussie politics and that kind of depresses me because i thought i hadn't gone full ham yet

i guess i've gone full facebook ham

danm999

I mean where the next Federal election gets interesting for me is the Senate.

Assuming that the Coalition doesn't call a double dissolution, the half of the Senate that is up for re-election is the one that was put in back in 2010 where the Coalition took almost 20 Senate seats. Given they only hold 33 seats at the moment, that means that the majority of their Senators are up for review, but significant portions of the so called "feral" Senate aren't.

And since the Senate is a popular vote, you don't actually need a big swing to make significant changes like you do in the House.

hidys

My prediction for the next election is that Labor wins the TPP but loses government.

I base this on the fact that I think there will be big swings in SA and VIC bit this will lead to minimal seat gains as there are very few marginal seats in either sate as Labor already holds most of them in VIC and SA has very few to begin with.

Labor really needs to secure big swings in NSW and Queensland in order to win this election and while I think Labor will become competitive in both of those states and win a number of seats I don't think they'll be able to get a majority.

Having said that I do think more of Labor's gains will com from Queensland than any other state.

Labor really needs to lift its game in NSW.

I would encourage everyone (except Arksy obviously) to find your nearest marginal electorate and get active in some way. Come election time I plan to work hearder than ever in Corangamite (a seat I am optimistic that the Liberals will lose).

Dryk

The Greens have announced their new economic policy team is Di Natale, Bandt and Whish-Wilson. Looks like they're getting serious.

I would encourage everyone (except Arksy obviously) to find your nearest marginal electorate and get active in some way. Come election time I plan to work hearder than ever in Corangamite (a seat I am optimistic that the Liberals will lose).
I live in the middle of Makin, so my choices are:

Sturt: Held by Pyne at 60%
Grey: Held by the Liberals (since 1993) at 63%, covers 80% of the state

What do I do? :\

Jintor

i guess the libs are boycotting q&a or something

obviously the lack of right-wing people on it will stop the abc's left-wing bias

or maybe in a few months/weeks they'll be saying look, they never invite libs on, obviously they're biased

or maybe they'll just cut their funding anyway

wonzo

Banned
Bludgetrack has NSW as the only state the ALP isn't ahead on 2PP but the swing is big enough for them to regain a few lost seats.

Sturt because Pyne has been such a colossal fuckup it's unlikely he'll retain his seat.

Arksy

There won't be any cuts, the Libs can scream and yell as much as they want about the ABC. Nothing of substance will happen, they have to get it through parliament first.

Bludgetrack has NSW as the only state the ALP isn't ahead on 2PP but the swing is big enough for them to regain a few lost seats.

Sturt because Pyne has been such a colossal fuckup it's unlikely he'll retain his seat.

He won't lose his seat, it was made marginal during the Ruddslide but never again. His vote is guaranteed by the large amounts of Greek and Italian migrants in this electorate.

hidys

The Greens have announced their new economic policy team is Di Natale, Bandt and Whish-Wilson. Looks like they're getting serious.

I recommend Sturt because Labor almost won that seat in 2007 and while I don't think they'll lose it you never know. I also recommend that seat because Christopher Pyne is a massive dickhead and seeing him lose would being me so much joy (even if it probably won't happen).

Rubixcuba

Banned
Between the damage done to the party brand in that state, the actually politically competent Mike Baird and the Greens on the left flank eating up Labor seats, this will be a tough road for them.

As usual Western Sydney is where it'll be won/loss for us. Not too much to worry about up here in Newcastle/Hunter.

Everyone's thoughts on Clive Palmer and Co's chances this time? Could see Clive circling wagons to keep his own seat instead of putting candidates everywhere.

danm999

As usual Western Sydney is where it'll be won/loss for us. Not too much to worry about up here in Newcastle/Hunter.

Everyone's thoughts on Clive Palmer and Co's chances this time? Could see Clive circling wagons to keep his own seat instead of putting candidates everywhere.

I think Clive's done. The reasons he got into it are dead and buried (Newman), and the experience of holding together a political party can't have been an enjoyable one given all but one of his people have abandoned ship.

hidys

Clive Palmer will be humiliated this election and his party will fall apart as he'll lose his seat and the one PUP senator will likely resign from the party soon after.

Jintor

Former Independent Tony Windsor has a fascinating editorial in the Saturday that I believe will be of interest

The following is a controversial view, but it is one this government has forced me to hold: I believe that any tragedy or terrorist activity in Australia would almost be welcomed because of the political benefits that would flow from it. The continual progression of asylum-seeker and terrorist law is all about where the blame can be laid when that tragedy occurs, rather than engaging with the domestic and international drivers of these issues. This is all very well in the short term, but what Abbott and his conservative colleagues don’t seem to appreciate, or perhaps care about, are the long-term implications.

There are a number of questions that require answers. What are the long-term consequences of combining the issue of terrorism with the plight of people seeking asylum? What are the consequences of demonising Muslims with incessant dog-whistling about race and religion and difference? Is anyone in the government or the opposition joining the dots?

And there is more. What are we doing to our long-term relationship with Indonesia and others in the so-called area of influence, and what does it mean for our future in Asia? Does anyone realise that we need these people more than they need us? Is the trashing of our international reputation of concern to the Australian community?

Yagharek

Windsor and Oakeshotte were better politicians than australia deserved.

I'd be happy to have a parliament comprised of only those two people.

Arksy

I'm betting he got a call from someone telling him to STFU. The govt really doesn't want to talk about that issue.

This is going to be pretty difficult with some coalition members preparing to join with Labor MPs for a cross-party private members bill for gay marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom