• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
CIZ7L9QWcAAem3N.jpg:large

You know I'm not convinced that a lot of National Security text doesn't read:

[Redact this section]
We're a bunch of people selected for paranoia operating in an environment that exacerbates paranoia for so long that we think we need omniscience and omnipotence to protect ourselves from anyone doing the things to use we'd do to them. But we can't say that in public so:
[End Redaction]

hidys

As of today we will officially be the only anglosphere country to not have same-sex marriage.

Doesn't that make you proud?

danm999

As of today we will officially be the only anglosphere country to not have same-sex marriage.

We will be last, yes.

And we as a nation are to blame for electing representatives so far behind the times, and so far from what we think is fair.

hirokazu

I posted a tweet that read:

BREAKING: gay marriage still legal in ZERO Australian states and territories.

And somebody got so worked up about it that they signed up a new Twitter account just to call me a fucking commie cunt, say it's not an important issue and the only people who care about it are the 4% of Australians who are gay, and that if I care about it so much I should fuck off to America.

Haha.

I posted a tweet that read:

BREAKING: gay marriage still legal in ZERO Australian states and territories.

And somebody got so worked up about it that they signed up a new Twitter account just to call me a fucking commie cunt, say it's not an important issue and the only people who care about it are the 4% of Australians who are gay, and that if I care about it so much I should fuck off to America.

Haha.

Should have checked if it came from a ministerial office or from a News Corp holding.

hidys

Labor's National Conference is running next month isn't it?

Wonder what impact Obergefell v. Hodges will have on all that.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens at the National Conference this year because for the first time since the 70s the Right won't have the numbers to control the conference.

Probably won't mean as much as some people think but on issues such as this and recognition of Palestine (both issues where there will be a decent chunk of leakage from the Right) things may happen.

JC Sera

indeed

"yeah were totes gunna reform a party that enables child sex abuse woooooo"
made a thread about this in offtopic
nobody gave a shit

the fact this goes so invisible makes me wanna puke

but the guy who sent his kids to catholic school who was shocked that they sent home anti-gay propaganda
entire thread about how dare he be shocked by this outcome

Jintor

Yagharek

Eyeroll. Thanks for tarnishing all Labor party as agreeing,that's good work there.

If they voted in favour of it, they support it. If people disagree and don't leave the party over it then I consider them to be complicit in it.

This will stand alongside the institutional abuse history as something deserving of a royal commission. A majority of Australia's parliamentarians have voted in favour of covering up child abuse.

I'm as horrified as the next person about the ALP actually voting against mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse in our immigration camps but I don't think it's fair to pile on rubixcuba like this. It's not unusual for party supporters to have different opinions on things to the party (in the case of the ALP the leader for one :p).

Especially since he's already stated his strong disagreement. We're not (and shouldn't be) piling on Arksy about this either.

Also I think we're usually more civilized when piling on Arksy than we're being to ALP party members right now.

Jintor

I'm not saying that all Labor members as individuals endorse covering up child abuse, I'm just saying the party voted for it

That's not even mildly surprising. Labor's been terrified to take a strong positive position since the Children Overboard idiocy and every time they have they've been badly hurt.

Other issues where this inevitably happens is being a US Vassal state and National Security.

It's not new and its not going to change until there's not even plurality support for these things and that's not going to happen in our life times short of something of scope equivalent to the Cold War.

ETA - Also lets be honest here. Losing votes to the Greens is mildly embarrassing and opens them up to the Labor/Greens Alliance attack ads but its still politically more palatable than not being in government. They just deal with the Coalition when they tack Right and the Greens on other issues. There's nothing to gain by them taking strong ideological positions either since its not like the Greens faithful are going to be trusting them to stick to them. At least I wouldn't be.

Fredescu

Also I think we're usually more civilized when piling on Arksy than we're being to ALP party members right now.
You keep saying "we" but it's only wonzo and that's just his style. He doesn't pull punches with Arksy either but as political discussions go, nothing ever even remotely approaches nasty in here. Outside of election campaigns anyway.

Rubixcuba

Banned
To be fair to Arksy, he doesn't have an obvious alternative.
The same Greens who voted against the ETS that Rudd introduced that ultimately led to a Liberal spill and gave birth to Abbott?
Now if you are going to bag Labor out for their long list of stupid and deeply regrettable decisions, surely the Greens rank and file were irked by that move?

Fredescu

The same Greens who voted against the ETS that Rudd introduced that ultimately led to a Liberal spill and gave birth to Abbott?
Now if you are going to bag Labor out for their long list of stupid and deeply regrettable decisions, surely the Greens rank and file were irked by that move?
Rudd didn't even consult the Greens on that policy because he was more interested in playing politics with it and wedging the Libs. So the policy itself was pretty shit because it had to be watered down enough for Turnbull to agree with, and it ultimately resulted in getting Abbott as opposition leader. If they did it the Gillard way in the first place it might have actually happened.

Not saying the Greens are perfect, and Labor have definitely achieved some good things. The particular example you're choosing there was really a collosal Labor fuck up.

wonzo

Banned
The CPRS was bad policy to begin with purely designed to wedge Turnbull for political gain. If the ALP were earnest in their attempts they would've actually tried to negotiate with the Greens at the time (they didn't).

e: Every single time Labor brings up the CPRS it simple re-affirms former Labor voters why they ditched them for the Greens in the first place and is ultimately counter-intuitive in bringing back the Left into the Labor fold.

double edit: found the right link. mybad

She's back!
ZAH_mirabella_TN-20130706230409140221-300x0.jpg

I hope she has no chance of actually beating McGowan, but you never know. Being an independent in the House when you are not in the balance of power is a pretty lonely anonymous existence.

Yes, we're generally pretty civilized which I like.

I honestly think the closest to small l liberals in practice at the moment is the Greens. The other two are far more authoritarian.

The Greens are fricking weird on this issue really. Ludlam in particular often trends pretty far in that direction (which makes me happy). But other members often tack pretty hard the other way. I mean this isn't really surprising because the Left is a mess of subgroups who don't really agree on what the top 5 issues are let alone their order of importance but its kind of odd given how disciplined we've gotten used to political parties being in Australia.

She's back!
ZAH_mirabella_TN-20130706230409140221-300x0.jpg

I hope she has no chance of actually beating McGowan, but you never know. Being an independent in the House when you are not in the balance of power is a pretty lonely anonymous existence.

There are pros and cons. You have more time to build a good reputation in your electorate by helping your constituents out with the usual administrative stuff and participating in the community. It'd be a lot more difficult as an independent in the Senate.

Arksy

If they voted in favour of it, they support it. If people disagree and don't leave the party over it then I consider them to be complicit in it.

I don't think that's particularly fair. There are plenty of things that the party I'm in have done which I vehemently disagree with..yet I don't leave...why?

Because you can't change something like a political party from the outside. You have to be in there to order to try to influence debate, and policy and to organise people.

If you changed party every time they did something stupid or antithetical to what you believe you'll probably end up on the party merry-go-round and no one will ever trust you.

Everyone seems to be piling onto the ALP on this, probably because everyone expects better, while the mainstream probably expects some bullshit like this to come from the libs...which in itself rather worrying (for a number of reasons). This whole recent liberal trend against the basis of Westminster government (like disrespecting the rule of law, and shutting transparency) is really grinding my gears. You don't need to look back many pages to see rants but I've still put my hand up for election in the YL policy committee during this week's AGM, for precisely these reasons.

JC Sera

Now while this page is filled with a lot of bull, I can't help but commend the page designer. Like I've not seen such a well designed political party website before.

Dear god they are pushing the labor as the boogeyman. I think them ignoring greens in their hate campaigns is gonna bite 'em in the ass.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS
Now I have to confess, I did sneak a peak at that ABC series The Killing Season.
The one thing that Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard could agree on was : you can’t trust Bill Shorten.
If Julia Gillard and Kevin Rudd don’t trust Bill Shorten, why should you?
???

It's pretty badly written yeah.

My takeaways:
1: The Coalition wants to ban people from owning boats. Why do they hate Cruise Ship Companies and Yacht Owners ?
2. Being for a Carbon Tax doesn't actually state a position on taxation level in general so this is a non-sequitur.
3. Not only is this repetitive the link between jobs and taxes is far from linearly inverse.
4 / End. The structure of this is out of wack. Should have used a comma after union bidding. Also there's an inherent contrast in standing against unions and standing for everybody (and on a meta level this whole thing is inconsistent with that slogan given they quite clearly stand against Labor).

Shaneus

My biggest hope from this Liberal smear campaign is that Labor finally grows some balls, ditches Shorten and puts in Plibersek. Honestly think the Libs would lose their shit with all the sexist remarks they'll spew, along with competing against someone who actually has a fucking clue.

Just praying that happens. Though I know a lot of people backed Shorten in the Shorten/Albo internal votes and that was when we knew Shorten was a stooge anyway, so whatever :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom