• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornhelm

Neo Member
maybe i'm just too fucking left or just immune to lefty greeny anger by being immersed in online AusPol for too long but I've really not seen any Greeny supporters as fucking infuriating as anything our government is, in fact, actually doing

Sure, no arguments there. But you're unlikely to win people over from other viewpoints when more often than not you immediately jump into the vitriolic diatribe.

Edit: See the post above me (or a significant portion of the last page). Apart from contributing to the circle-jerk, what does it actually accomplish apart from making people give less weight in the future to what you say?

There was a legitimate question from someone trying to understand the Greens policy on genuine refugees near the top of the last page, and instead of answering the question you all decided it was more important to cry about everyone not Greens. Which do you think is more productive and likely to actually convert someone to your viewpoint? If it's the latter than you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Yagharek

Edit: See the post above me (or a significant portion of the last page). Apart from contributing to the circle-jerk, what does it actually accomplish apart from making people give less weight in the future to what you say?

Oh go stack some branches if you want to be a Labor apologist. The fact is that Labor have amounted to a substance-less "opposition" since 2013. Now we have them capitulating to the right wing war hawk version of humanitarian aid and dealing with illegal immigrants asylum seekers. When they voice the same policies its hardly right to call them an opposition now, is it?

Anyway, if you want a better quality of dialogue maybe write to your local member instead of posting faux outrage at people who are fucking sick of the inane ramblings of the political class and their enablers in this country.

To wit:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/po...e-melee-rules-20150723-giijo4?skin=dumb-phone

Rubixcuba

Banned
Are most GAFers here active members of political parties/groups? Do you attend meetings, volunteer, help elections, give input to party policy etc?

If not, why not? Or is it easier to vent on how horrible everything is on the internet.

Tornhelm

Neo Member
Oh go stack some branches if you want to be a Labor apologist. The fact is that Labor have amounted to a substance-less "opposition" since 2013. Now we have them capitulating to the right wing war hawk version of humanitarian aid and dealing with illegal immigrants asylum seekers. When they voice the same policies its hardly right to call them an opposition now, is it?

Anyway, if you want a better quality of dialogue maybe write to your local member instead of posting faux outrage at people who are fucking sick of the inane ramblings of the political class and their enablers in this country.

To wit:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/po...e-melee-rules-20150723-giijo4?skin=dumb-phone

Sorry, didn't read. If you'd like to rephrase your response civilly instead, I'll read it instead of assuming that I'm talking to the far-left version of the One Nation Party.

Arksy

Are most GAFers here active members of political parties/groups? Do you attend meetings, volunteer, help elections, give input to party policy etc?

If not, why not? Or is it easier to vent on how horrible everything is on the internet.

I am!

#toryscum4lyfe

danm999

I'd put it more on the voters - the hard line Greens voters are getting to be nearly as unbearable as the Liberals. It doesn't matter what your messages are if your vocal supporters are toxic to anyone who doesn't share all the same views.

Maybe I'm in a bubble then; I just haven't seen it to anywhere near the same extent. In fact slacktivism is the more common dig I see of your stereotypical Greens voter.

hidys

I'm a member of the Labor party but I'll be the first to admit I should be more active, but I study and work in Melbourne and have very little time to attend branch meetings in my home town. During election times I have campaigned for both the Greens (before I joined Labor) and Labor at different elections but I've found campaigning for Labor in my marginal electorate to be far more useful and rewarding.

But venting on the internet is a much easier thing to do.

hidys

I just think they might get into a spot where they don't dominate the political landscape like they did before. They might increasingly need to rely on minority governments or form coalitions with other parties. They're relentlessly racing to the centre on several issues to the extent that it might become a pattern for future elections.

Preferences are currently making this move to the right feasible at the moment, left voters are just preferencing them anyway, but if it ever gets to the point where whoever or whatever is feeding them preferences grows larger than them, well things could change.

Or not. The next Labor leader might undo this all. The Greens or leftish voters might fuck up and become irrelevant.

I still think there is little chance of Labor becoming a minority party but are spot on about them having to work with minor parties (the greens may even be the first of many).

That has many challenges associated with it and I hope they're able to figure out how to do that because demonising voters from those parties is a grave mistake.

hidys

Arksy

What's wrong with re-election as a goal? Getting elected again means you have the support of the electorate you are representing.

Yagharek

Then why bring it up?

As a counter to the narrative on this page that it is important to be constructive from within a Party framework.

The parties themselves are not amenable to change, and on current observable evidence the major parties at least seem only interested in being re-elected, not actual long-term policies. That's why we have endless distractions about the aesthetics of wind farms, helicopter protocols, ages of entitlement and three word slogans lacking substance.

Arksy

Power should never in and of it self be the end game.

I agree..but it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that the people are the arbiters of that power...Someone will have the position of power and that person has to have the support of the people.

Jintor

the people are idiots! benevolent dictatorship for all! *fires guns into air*

Seriously though, I think the people as arbiters of power works best when all or at least a majority are rational participants in the electoral process, which I don't know is what's happening at the moment.

worst form of government except for all the others etc etc

Fredescu

I agree..but it's somewhat mitigated by the fact that the people are the arbiters of that power...Someone will have the position of power and that person has to have the support of the people.

But you advocate a bill of rights because you recognise that power should be limited, right? I think the "power as an end goal" type wants to see expanding power. Removing the citizenship of sole nationals is a good example of that. It's supported by a large majority of people, but it's ultimately a power the government should not have and not the right solution to that problem. So you have to balance "what the people want" with ... something else.

Yagharek

Given the hours and hours spent on internal negotiations to determine a party position or policy, I don't think this is true.

But at the end of all the negotiations we have a couple of demagogues in charge. And the alternative is the same. This leads me to the not-unreasonable conclusion that either the parties don't change, or they only change in one direction.

Arksy

But you advocate a bill of rights because you recognise that power should be limited, right? I think the "power as an end goal" type wants to see expanding power. Removing the citizenship of sole nationals is a good example of that. It's supported by a large majority of people, but it's ultimately a power the government should not have and not the right solution to that problem. So you have to balance "what the people want" with ... something else.

Yes absolutely. The whole point that I was trying to make that seeking re-election can be construed to be a noble goal because it is the ultimate test of your lelegitimacy. Of course that means that our entire system of forcing even the worst kinds to act nobly and soberly should remain in place.

hidys

As a counter to the narrative on this page that it is important to be constructive from within a Party framework.

The parties themselves are not amenable to change, and on current observable evidence the major parties at least seem only interested in being re-elected, not actual long-term policies. That's why we have endless distractions about the aesthetics of wind farms, helicopter protocols, ages of entitlement and three word slogans lacking substance.

Obviously a political party needs to adopt policies that are at least appealing enough for enough marginal voters to support them. And while the major political parties need serious democratic reforms I hardly see working towards such reforms to be worthless.

It is a slog and after the weekend a number of people at my work were pretty demoralised but it is fundamentally the only way to achieve positive reform.

There seems to be a lot of snark around the 'change from within' philosophy. I absolutely understand why that is but what I haven't found is a viable alternative to any of that.

I haven't heard one single proposal more viable than that for asylum seekers or national security issues. Especially since the Greens have little appeal outside of young people and inner-city professionals.

Rubixcuba

Banned
But at the end of all the negotiations we have a couple of demagogues in charge. And the alternative is the same. This leads me to the not-unreasonable conclusion that either the parties don't change, or they only change in one direction.

Australian Democracy is dooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

There seems to be a lot of snark around the 'change from within' philosophy. I absolutely understand why that is but what I haven't found is a viable alternative to any of that.

Exactly. It isn't impossible to work within a party to try and change policy. Its incredibly difficult, as evident from this weekend, yet that doesn't mean you should have to abandon the party which best represents your ideals/beliefs. No point complaining about the process and arguing for change if you aren't there at the table negotiating for it.

Fredescu

I'm not even that sure the asylum seeker thing is demagoguery. I think it's just pure fear of the enemy. I thought this was a good read: http://www.pipingshrike.com/2015/07/unity-is-death.html

Exerpt:

In 2002, the up and coming shadow Immigration Minister launched a tough new line for Labor’s policy on asylum seekers. It wasn’t popular at Conference, but the hardheads felt it was necessary. Labor had lost an election on immigration, the current leader was unpopular and seen as weak, and Labor felt the Coalition was making hay with the perception Labor was too soft on asylum seekers. Labor went on to lose the next election with what was then the lowest primary vote in the post-war period.

In 2010, that former shadow Minister, now leader, Julia Gillard (for it was she), went into an election with a new tough line on asylum seekers. It wasn’t popular in the party, but the hardheads felt it was necessary. They and Gillard were worried that the Coalition was making hay with the perception Labor was too soft on asylum seekers. She went on to achieve what was then Labor’s second lowest primary vote in the post-war period.

After she was ousted in 2013, her successor, Rudd Mark II, then came out with Labor’s toughest anti-asylum seeker policy in its history and was promptly rewarded with what now stands as the lowest ever primary vote in the post-war period.

Now in 2015, the up and coming shadow Immigration Minister has launched a tough new line for Labor’s policy on asylum seekers. It wasn’t popular at Conference, but the hardheads felt it was necessary. Labor had lost an election on immigration, the current leader was unpopular and seen as weak, and Labor felt the Coalition was making hay with the perception Labor was too soft on asylum seekers. Hum-te-dum-te-dum.

In reality over the last twenty years, there is only one election that Labor has arguably not toughened up on its asylum seeker policy going into it, the 2007 election, and that being also the only election it has won in that twenty years.

There may not be a direct relation between softening up on asylum seekers and Labor winning an election, but there sure as hell isn’t one the opposite way.

Yes absolutely. The whole point that I was trying to make that seeking re-election can be construed to be a noble goal because it is the ultimate test of your lelegitimacy. Of course that means that our entire system of forcing even the worst kinds to act nobly and soberly should remain in place.

It's "a" goal. I think the point of what you quoted was *the* goal. Wanting to be re elected in order to pursue policies you believe in mean it isn't *the* goal.

Yagharek

I haven't heard one single proposal more viable than that for asylum seekers or national security issues. Especially since the Greens have little appeal outside of young people and inner-city professionals.

I'd wager the same system minus a crackdown on reporting child abuse would be one such proposal that is already widely voiced.

But in principle the only way to get any kind of solution that is both humane and practical is to get dozens of regional countries involved. At the moment you either have LNP being antagonistic towards Indonesia with the tow back regime and linking aid to death penalty debates, or the Labor party and the suspension of live trade also poisoning the well.

If you want to stop pretending to care about lives lost at sea, and actually demonstrate a will to prevent people getting on boats and not being for show then Indonesia needs to be a party to discussion in the public sphere. This is their problem too; not ours alone.

So you would either want to set up some kind of regional registration system in the transit countries, and then other regional countries could take a quota each year. Anyone who tries to sail goes to the back of the line or loses choice in where to go - some deterrent may be necessary.

If you want to "break the business model" of the people smugglers, then do their job for free.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'economic migrants' who might have skills that could be put to use in remote/regional centres which would in turn help boost the local economies and stop the pattern of eventual migration of everyone to capital cities. And tie support structures to location of residence so they have to stay in a certain region for a while.

And then for the actual refugees of war/famine/etc they can be posted to capitals or major centres where there exists the resources to help them manage their trauma and find stability and safety.

Islands like Nauru and places like PNG have limited capacity and resources to manage large scale influx, but they might be able to help for sure. Maybe skilled migrants could be helped in terms of education and training if they elect to go to those places which might already have a gap in skills.

tl'dr the major parties need to stop seeing economic migrants as a blight and humanitarian migrants as a burden. See them instead as respectively an opportunity and a responsibility. Migration has been a part of human history for about 200,000 years or more, so pretending its nothing to do with us is reckless. The people will not go away, and turning them back only moves the problem rather than addresses it.

hidys

I saw that piece and thought it made some interesting points, namely that the Liberals will always win the asylum seeker debate because they are always capable of being more inhumane than labor.

But I think the author forgets what it was like in the Rudd years and how much flak they coped from every source imaginable and how much damage it did them every single time a boat turned up.

A more humane approach to asylum seekers means more boats and I think that argument needs to be made but it wouldn't come without significant political cost, given that Abbott's mob can very easily exploit the issue and swing votes.

danm999

I think an unintended (or maybe intended) side effect of some of the more draconian laws being passed in relation to asylum seekers and the public's ability to obtain that information will be that it's simply easier for governments to protect themselves from criticism by the Opposition by just obfuscating what's actually going on.

If Labor gets into government at the next election I can't really see why they wouldn't simply use all the tools Abbott has left them to do as his government has.

hidys

I'd wager the same system minus a crackdown on reporting child abuse would be one such proposal that is already widely voiced.

But in principle the only way to get any kind of solution that is both humane and practical is to get dozens of regional countries involved. At the moment you either have LNP being antagonistic towards Indonesia with the tow back regime and linking aid to death penalty debates, or the Labor party and the suspension of live trade also poisoning the well.

If you want to stop pretending to care about lives lost at sea, and actually demonstrate a will to prevent people getting on boats and not being for show then Indonesia needs to be a party to discussion in the public sphere. This is their problem too; not ours alone.

So you would either want to set up some kind of regional registration system in the transit countries, and then other regional countries could take a quota each year. Anyone who tries to sail goes to the back of the line or loses choice in where to go - some deterrent may be necessary.

If you want to "break the business model" of the people smugglers, then do their job for free.

I'm sure there are plenty of 'economic migrants' who might have skills that could be put to use in remote/regional centres which would in turn help boost the local economies and stop the pattern of eventual migration of everyone to capital cities. And tie support structures to location of residence so they have to stay in a certain region for a while.

And then for the actual refugees of war/famine/etc they can be posted to capitals or major centres where there exists the resources to help them manage their trauma and find stability and safety.

Islands like Nauru and places like PNG have limited capacity and resources to manage large scale influx, but they might be able to help for sure. Maybe skilled migrants could be helped in terms of education and training if they elect to go to those places which might already have a gap in skills.

tl'dr the major parties need to stop seeing economic migrants as a blight and humanitarian migrants as a burden. See them instead as respectively an opportunity and a responsibility. Migration has been a part of human history for about 200,000 years or more, so pretending its nothing to do with us is reckless. The people will not go away, and turning them back only moves the problem rather than addresses it.

I have yet to meet a single person, Labor or otherwise who supported the whistleblower laws to be a good idea and not opposing that was one of the most cowardly things Labor has ever done.

A lot of what you say is accurate but actually getting any of it done is the real problem. One of the big barriers to achieving reasonable reform on asylum seekers that both acknowledges our global responsibility and isn't an open borders solution is that the majority of people don't give a shit about our relationship with neibouring countries. Obviously Australia needs to seriously engage our neighbours, particularly Indonesia and Labor needs to at least show why positive relations with them are important, which I believe is doable but far from easy.

Point is though that the people of Australia, and marginal voters in particular have to want a more humane approach to asylum seekers and being forced to accept such an approach is a non-viable solution.

BTW does anyone know what the Greens asylum seeker policy is?

Yagharek

Australian Democracy is dooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed.

Exactly. It isn't impossible to work within a party to try and change policy. Its incredibly difficult, as evident from this weekend, yet that doesn't mean you should have to abandon the party which best represents your ideals/beliefs. No point complaining about the process and arguing for change if you aren't there at the table negotiating for it.

This is nonsense. If the only way to make any contribution or be heard is to first align yourself with a faction then nothing constructive can be done.

I'll damn well complain because the whole process and system is fucked. Joining any of those parties would in itself be a compromise of my beliefs which I am not prepared to do. Ergo I'm entitled to call them all out.

Arksy

It's at times like this that I wish the Malaysian people swap passed. I think that would have been better. A curse on my party for opposing it for disingenuous reasons.

hidys

It's at times like this that I wish the Malaysian people swap passed. I think that would have been better. A curse on my party for opposing it for disingenuous reasons.

I mean there is no way of knowing whether that would have solved the political impasse but I do think it would be a hell of an improvement over the current situation.

Cheers mate.

While I'm linking, Tony Windsor's article on Asylum Seeker policy is a good read: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au...y-dark-spot-australias-history/14353272002050

Pretty sure it's been linked here before, but eh it's on topic.

Yeah it was a brilliant article and I share his concern over how the current 'solution' has serious consequences in the long term.

hidys

Yeah wow. Let the Right realize that when our inner-city primary votes collapses come next election.

Could argue also that 2007 was won on Work Choices more so than immigration however.

Another problem that people forget is that the national conversation around boats changed in the Rudd years for the worse. It was in those years that we learned for certain that a more humane approach to asylum seekers meant more boats would arrive and that idea is fundamentally ingrained in the mind of an electorate intent on stopping boats.

It basically means that Labor must defend a policy of more boats which is retry difficult to do at this point in time.

Tornhelm

Neo Member
Maybe I'm in a bubble then; I just haven't seen it to anywhere near the same extent. In fact slacktivism is the more common dig I see of your stereotypical Greens voter.

It depends on where you frequent. News websites tend to favour the Liberals, online communities tend towards being a Greens echo chamber where anyone who they think doesn't align with their worldview is jumped on.

Look at the response to me - all it took was saying I disagreed with the Liberal behavior and calling out the Greens circle jerk and I've been immediately (and incorrectly) labeled as a Labor apologist and going Godwin. Given the content of the last page I'm kind of surprised they didn't shove in "child rape enabler" as well.

Dead Man

It depends on where you frequent. News websites tend to favour the Liberals, online communities tend towards being a Greens echo chamber where anyone who they think doesn't align with their worldview is jumped on.

Look at the response to me - all it took was saying I disagreed with the Liberal behavior and calling out the Greens circle jerk and I've been immediately (and incorrectly) labeled as a Labor apologist and going Godwin. Given the content of the last page I'm kind of surprised they didn't shove in "child rape enabler" as well.

Methinks the pot may be besmirching the name of the kettle.

Dryk

maybe i'm just too fucking left or just immune to lefty greeny anger by being immersed in online AusPol for too long but I've really not seen any Greeny supporters as fucking infuriating as anything our government is, in fact, actually doing
Hard-line anti-nuclear people are pretty frustrating, not sure if they're not that frustrating though

Arksy

I still think the most obnoxious group around at the moment is Socialist Alternative. I have to be honest, I've never had a bad interaction from anyone from the greens (as in party members, in real life), even when we have heated policy discussions, we've all still managed to remain somewhat cordial and respectful.

Dryk

Yeah they're way too aggressive. I suppose that comes with the territory for revolutionary socialists but it would do them so many favours to tone it down a bit.

Arksy

I vote for God Emperor Dead Man!

I mean, if his avatar is anything to go by he basically already looks the part.
latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom