• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

I tried to come up with a coherent argument but the best I can manage right now is; lel privatising doesn't guarantee independence but government ownership prevents independence.

On the flipside, this is indicative of the system but not necessarily endemic.

wonzo

Banned
CZRhOI6U8AExMOj.jpg

CZRhOI6UEAAjfHb.jpg

Rubixcuba

Banned
The worst person in the country. SMH article on his radioshow states Latham calls domestic violence an invention of the 'feminist left'. This guy, ugh.

I just put in the Crikey group subscription with 4 of us to start. I can add people on a pro-rata basis though, so if you're still interested just let me know. If you get in contact with me before I have to pay the initial payment we can divide up the bonus membership between us, otherwise you'll have to pay your share pro-rata since I can't change a split retroactively. If extra members cause a reduction in rate then I'll have to split the reduction evenly to be fair though (I will try and defray the bonus membership appropriately first though). Basically I'm trying to keep the cost split as even as possible without retroactively demanding money from people.

All but one person who expressed interest in this thread has PMed me with their emails and I've sent a PM to the remaining person but if there's anyone new interested let me know.

Going to make a new post since things just changed a bit.

The current cost each is $111.75 and the expiry willl be 30/1/2017 (when we can renew as a group if we wish). Crikey is currently having technical difficulties but your subscriptions should be ready in the next couple of hours. I'll send you all a PM with my Paypal details when I get confirmation your subscriptions are ready but I'd advise you not to put the money in yet, in case we get more people (which will actually raise the price, slightly, since we're splitting the bonus membership more ways).

I have 30 days to pay , I'd prefer to do that sooner though , so if no one gets in touch with me in the next 7 days I'll go ahead and pay , otherwise I'll work things out as necessary.

New update:

We now have 5 people and everyone who expressed interest has gotten back to me. The new cost each is $119.20 .

Crikey can set up your subscriptions but they require a real name to go with the subscription email, could you each send me a PM with your IRL names so I can send that in.

Shaneus

New update:

We now have 5 people and everyone who expressed interest has gotten back to me. The new cost each is $119.20 .

Crikey can set up your subscriptions but they require a real name to go with the subscription email, could you each send me a PM with your IRL names so I can send that in.
Should it have gone up in price if there's an extra person? I don't know if that makes sense.

Should it have gone up in price if there's an extra person? I don't know if that makes sense.

New group subscriptions get 1 bonus member. More members splits the deduction of the free member more ways , so the price goes up. At renewal we won't get a bonus member so at that point more people is always equal or better.

Mr. Tone

New update:

Thanks for putting the work in!

Lynton Crosby Named UK Australian of the Year!

He is also to be knighted by the Tories and got $5mil for winning the election. I wonder how much he got in Canada for his latest brown-people scare?

Mr Crosby was awarded the honour for being a "world leader in his profession and a great Australian", according to the Australia Day Foundation.

Thought it might have been satire, but no, this evil SOB is the best they could come up with. Wonder if he's on his way back to Australia for the coming election.

wonzo

Banned
Fresh off breaking the internet with his Triple M podcast attack on “lefty feminists”, former Labor opposition leader Mark Latham is in talks with Fairfax about a gig at The Age.

Latham’s last stint at a Fairfax masthead ended in tears when he resigned from The Australian ­Financial Review after being linked to a Twitter handle that trolled Rosie Batty. He has since admitted being behind the account. AFR editor-in-chief Michael Stutchbury was an unabashed fan of Latham’s polarising columns but The Age looks like a curious destination for the southwest Sydney brawler.

Its bleeding heart audience and left-leaning editorial are surely at odds with Latham’s mantra that “there’s been a surge in political correctness in Australia and quite frankly it’s pissing people off’”. But Fairfax will no doubt point out that it’s a broad church should Latham return. One impediment to an unholy alliance between The Age and Latham may be the fallout from the Triple M podcast.

The “elitist left” are out in force calling for Latham’s head after he used the Triple M podcast to resume his attacks on Australian of the Year Rosie Batty, claiming she was part of a feminist group using domestic violence for political gain. But of course sparking controversy was the whole point of the stunt in the first place.

im glad fairfax is dying by a thousand cuts

Jintor

All premiers and chief ministers apart from Colin Barnett signed a declaration for an Australian head of state.
http://abc.net.au/news/2016-01-25/premiers-unite-for-an-australian-head-of-state/7110632

Monarchists respond: "This petition is calling for a republic which will be based on the will of politicians, which is evidenced by so many premiers and politicians supporting it."

lol 'the crown always represents the people'

you're just lucky the windsor family knows realpolitick enough and has their cushy position that they not really bother interfering these days

Well, Crosby's tactics didn't work in Canada, what with Harper being kicked out of government and all, thank fuck.

And the reason the referendum on the republic issue failed was because it was deliberately fucked over by Howard with the actual wording of what a republic would entail, which the actual republicans didn't want. The monarchists love to conveniently ignore this fact.

Arksy

And the reason the referendum on the republic issue failed was because it was deliberately fucked over by Howard with the actual wording of what a republic would entail, which the actual republicans didn't want. The monarchists love to conveniently ignore this fact.

People keep saying this, but it isn't actually true. Howard held constitutional conventions which were half elected and half appointed by parliament and they debated a model which was eventually put to the public. The model was developed by a broad spectrum of republicans within the convention and was put to the public where it wasn't as warmly received.

The idea that Howard had some sort of undue influence on the democratic process is simply wrong.

D.Lo

Even Tones' favourite Knight Prince Phillip knew voting for a monarchy was stupid.

It was unfortunate timing that little johnny was in when it reached a head. It was clear the majority wanted a republic from years of polls.

We needed leadership with a vision for the country's future, something the coconut never had, except for short term 'visions' like selling government assets for pennies on the dollar.

New Matilda's third article on Nick Ross, discussing the infuriating lack of media reporting surrounding the whole thing, announcement of another big article that they say will be definite proof that Ross was gagged when it came to NBN reporting, and discussing other aspects of how they could have gone about this and the potential legal issues.

The lack of response from Labor is also frustrating, though Philip Dalidakis has indicated this is probably due to the time of year and people still being on holidays and whatnot. But the last thing we need is for this story to go quiet, but thankfully, New Matilda seems to have plenty of material to publish over time to keep the noise going.

Apparently he's negotiating with The Age of all newspapers for a column! That rotten sandwich isn't going anywhere for a while.

Not content with continuing to stain the Parliament, Abbot is heading over to the USA to address The "Alliance Defending Freedom" an anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-feminism hate filled organisation.

Alliance Defending Freedom said:
The ADF has attracted trenchant criticism from the left for opposing "tolerance training" for schools aimed at reducing bullying of LGBTI students. Instead, it proposed "truth days", in which homosexual behaviour was openly discussed as sinful.

The ADF is also the same organisation that invests millions in small African countries to help institute the criminalisation of homosexuality activity and clearly encourages vigilante behavior. The same group also wants homosexual acts in the USA to be re-criminalised.

David Marr was right when he said there is a small but not insignificant group in this government that believe it is up to them to fight back against all this madness and they will be ones that say no more, no further. Delusional, the lot of them.

danm999

I'm going to give Abbott the benefit of the doubt and say he knows he'll never be Prime Minister again and is just trying to keep his profile up.

Because if he thinks the way back to Australia's heart runs through Ted Cruz supporters then LOL.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to give Abbott the benefit of the doubt and say he knows he'll never be Prime Minister again and is just trying to keep his profile up.

Because if he thinks the way back to Australia's heart runs through Ted Cruz supporters then LOL.
Been loving all the Coalition members/supporters saying "Tony is not Kevin Rudd" as though that's an attack on Rudd's personality and not a damning assessment of Abbott's unpopularity.

This is an actual quote from a Labor candidate.

Quick update on the Crikey subscription:

Everyone is now activated and will receive the newsletter starting tomorrow. The subscription ends 30/1/2017 (we can renew at that time but we of course won't get a free member). I'll PM each of your shortly with your passwords, to log in on the crikey site, and to organize payment.

If anyone else wants to join, at any point, just toss me a PM and you can be added at the pro-rata rate.

danm999

Kudos to Eric Abetz and Corey Bernardi for publicly demonstrating how pointless the whole plebiscite would be by admitting they'd ignore it.

Mr. Tone

Quick update on the Crikey subscription:

Everyone is now activated and will receive the newsletter starting tomorrow. The subscription ends 30/1/2017 (we can renew at that time but we of course won't get a free member). I'll PM each of your shortly with your passwords, to log in on the crikey site, and to organize payment.

If anyone else wants to join, at any point, just toss me a PM and you can be added at the pro-rata rate.

Once again, big thanks!

Kudos to Eric Abetz and Corey Bernardi for publicly demonstrating how pointless the whole plebiscite would be by admitting they'd ignore it.

This is the sort of thing you say after the election, not before! The proposed plebiscite pretty effectively moved the issue to after the next election but now it's firmly back on as the it's clear it's a scam.

No wonder the moderate faction are trying to end these clowns once and for all.

danm999

Yeah it's though they don't understand what the idea of the plebiscite was even supposed to be achieving.

Or maybe they do and just hate Turnbull more.

Yeah it's though they don't understand what the idea of the plebiscite was even supposed to be achieving.

Or maybe they do and just hate Turnbull more.

It doesn't make sense to do that before an election even then though. They have influence over Turnbull but none on Shorten. Hell even if Turnbull gets reelected if his margin falls enough to increase the power of the Nationals* he might get skittish about a plebiscite anyway. Admittedly neither of them seem to be particularly canny political players. Dutton seems to be the only one of Abbot's guard who's Teflon. Unless they are worried their electorates would primary them for even passively supporting marriage equality but this isn't the US and the Electoral Commission actively aims to make seats as unsafe as possible, so it seems unlikely that's a serious concern.

*I imagine that the safe Liberal seats are more evenly distributed between safe social conservative (religion, "When I was a boy,,,,", etc)and safe economic conservative seats (business) just given the balance of power so I doubt margin changes has much effect on their makeup.

They just gave the Labor Party, The Greens and even the moderate voices in their party an invitation to open up the debate again as soon as parliament sits. As far as I'm aware the first few weeks were going to be about the Union RC and reinstating the Building Commission, that's all going to lost in the noise.

Now, unless the Labor Party are completely stupid and that's still a possibility, they can walk into Parliament head held high and introduce another bill as the plebiscite is dead and buried and will not be taken seriously again and that will be all anyone cares about for a week or two.

World class own goal from Bernardi/Abetz.

They just gave the Labor Party, The Greens and even the moderate voices in their party an invitation to open up the debate again as soon as parliament sits. As far as I'm aware the first few weeks were going to be about the Union RC and reinstating the Building Commission, that's all going to lost in the noise.

Now, unless the Labor Party are completely stupid and that's still a possibility, they can walk into Parliament head held high and introduce another bill as the plebiscite is dead and buried and will not be taken seriously again and that will be all anyone cares about for a week or two.

World class own goal from Bernardi/Abetz.

If they don't it probably wouldn't be about stupidity it'd be about doing the factional wrangling required to make Joe Bullock and friends not make asses of themselves in the process.

danm999

The Labor Party right seemed not to care very much last year when Bill Shorten brought it up as a private member's bill, so I can't imagine they would care too much this time either. The number of Labor MPs that oppose marriage equality can be counted on one hand basically, so they can give them a conscience vote without too much trouble.

Plus, Labor gets to highlight that wedge between the oh so popular, urbane Malcolm Turnbull and his party if they force them to confront the same sex marriage debate again. Make hay out of all that division and disunity.

Seriously Turnbull wasn't wrong last year when he said they were giving Bill Shorten a stick to beat them with every day when they punted this one.

Arksy

Stupidity is the name of the fucking game.

How the fuck can Eric Abetz and Cory Bernadi come out and say they're going to ignore the result of the plebiscite? I mean, really? You're actually going to ignore the will of the people? Those two must be the bravest politicians in the western world.....or the dumbest.

I know what my money is on...

I don't see Labor and the Greens not using this as an excuse to derail the government's agenda when parliament sits in order to force Turnbull into a corner. If Labor goes on the attack, Turnbull would either need to put his foot down, which would infuriate the conservatives, or try to evade the issue while trying to put the focus back on unions, which might actually damage his stellar rep.

Abetz and Bernadi basically just gave Labor the perfect ammunition to hound the government with. Idiots.

Seriously Turnbull wasn't wrong last year when he said they were giving Bill Shorten a stick to beat them with every day when they punted this one.

Remind me, when'd Turnbull say that?

Dead Man

I don't see Labor and the Greens not using this as an excuse to derail the government's agenda when parliament sits in order to force Turnbull into a corner. If Labor goes on the attack, Turnbull would either need to put his foot down, which would infuriate the conservatives, or try to evade the issue while trying to put the focus back on unions, which might actually damage his stellar rep.

Abetz and Bernadi basically just gave Labor the perfect ammunition to hound the government with. Idiots.

The Greens will run with it, but nobody pays attention to them, and Labor under Shorten going on the offensive? Not sure I'd recognise what that would even look like. Hopefully I'm just being a pessimistic old bastard and they sink the boot in properly and get some movement on the issue as well as hammering the Libs over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom