• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding that "wasteful spending" on "ridiculous" research:

http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/academic-ri...university-vicechancellor-20130905-2t86l.html

I have to admit that some of the topics sound silly at face value, but deciding what constitutes wasteful spending based on those one sentence descriptions is like using the title of a journal paper to make a decision without reading the actual paper.

I'm a postgrad/PhD student and there are papers in fields closely related to mine I don't understand after reading the abstract let alone the title.

My area of research ,using machine learning to enhance interactive multi-objective optimization, sounds like I randomly selected a bunch of long words to the lay person or likely anyone outside of specific sub disciplines in science, applied maths, engineering or IT.

wonzo

Banned
Wrong. The Liberal deputy does not become Deputy Prime Minister.

The senior Nationals member does.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce.

That's what we will have.
I'm p. sure it's Warren Truss. Not even Abbott's mad enough to give Barnaby control over anything larger than a matchbox.

Ventron

Warren Truss, unless Barnaby Joyce challenges for the leadership after he's elected.

I may be a member of the echo chamber but even I'm beginning to wonder what Abbot has done to annoy the ABC so much today. Its amazing how critical impartial coverage can be just by careful selection of topics.

trinest

I'm hoping my electorate isn't stupid enough to vote him in.

Warren Truss, unless Barnaby Joyce challenges for the leadership after he's elected.

People keep saying he will be DPM, clearly its something he wants, so yeah?

Jintor

Saw this wonderful piece of literature floating around. Apparently was left at the NSW Greens office. Can't seem to source it though, so hold tight.

auvBCA5.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bigots gonna bigot. They'll always exist, spreading vitriol, but I try to comfort myself with the knowledge that, in time (if later than I'd like), the things they hate will come to pass. Marriage equality in Australia is an inevitable reality bigots will one day have to face with nothing they can do, and that makes my heart smile.

Dead Man

Bigots gonna bigot. They'll always exist, spreading vitriol, but I try to comfort myself with the knowledge that, in time (if later than I'd like), the things they hate will come to pass. Marriage equality in Australia is an inevitable reality bigots will one day have to face with nothing they can do, and that makes my heart smile.

I want to find this person and hold hands with a man in front of them.

Jintor

To dumb down the actual question I want to ask, can you be opposed to same-sex marriage without being for inequality?

The actual question is 'can you be opposed to marriage equality without being homophobic' but apparently 'marriage equality' is enough to set some people off and accusing people of homophobia doesn't get good debate. Probably not here, but best be safe.

Saw this wonderful piece of literature floating around. Apparently was left at the NSW Greens office. Can't seem to source it though, so hold tight.

Yeah, saw it on Something Awful earlier.

Man we're a disgusting, ugly, hateful species. We like to pretend otherwise, but nothing ever changes. Not really.

Dead Man

To dumb down the actual question I want to ask, can you be opposed to same-sex marriage without being for inequality?

The actual question is 'can you be opposed to marriage equality without being homophobic' but apparently 'marriage equality' is enough to set some people off and accusing people of homophobia doesn't get good debate. Probably not here, but best be safe.

Only if you think everyone being able to marry someone of the opposite sex is any sort of meaningful equality.

Shaneus

I want to find this person and hold hands with a man in front of them.
I'm up for it if you are. I could be your "ginger bear".

bahahahaha (I just thought it was a great tie-in to our brief back-and-forth in AusGAF :D)

PS. "Your" was the first thing I noticed as well.

PPS. If that writing was truly legit, why would they have only written on one side of each piece of paper?

hirokazu

bahahahaha (I just thought it was a great tie-in to our brief back-and-forth in AusGAF :D)

PPS. If that writing was truly legit, why would they have only written on one side of each piece of paper?

To spite the Greens?

Yagharek

The best thing is they will have an aneurism when it does.

Dead Man

Yes. Poorly worded. Poorly worded in that it contained the very opposite of what you are now saying.

Satire is dead.
Such blatant lies. Such utter stupidity. And it is about to be rewarded.

Gah, I'm not sure what's worse, your joke or that you explained it! :)

hirokazu

We're a Christian country? Huh. What did this person write about an openly atheist PM ?

A lot of people against marriage equality say that the concept of marriage was created by God or something. Like no culture ever had the concept of marriage before being blessed by Judeo-Christian influence.

That's how deluded they are, so it's not surprising to see them write these things.

freddy

Banned
I find these leaflets being handed around with pictures of crying kids and wailing on about same sex marriage repulsive. If someone passes me one of those near the voting booth they will be eating it for lunch.

hirokazu

Luckily no chance of anyone daring to passing something like that around in Sydney. Perks of being in a progressive electorate. Heck even the Liberal candidate here is gay and pro-marriage equality.

If only our internet connections were as fast as a coalition backflip....

Out of interest, how many of you caught the Pirate Party ad in the MX today?

I just want to say that near my university the Greens have been running these print ads saying that under Labor or Liberal universities will get funding cuts and we will be worse off.
That's all good and proper but then they direct you to a website "UNI CUTS HURT.com" but I always read it as "UNI CUT SHURT.com" which annoys the hell out of me.

WHY IS THE UNI CUTTING SHURTS? WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN TOLD ABOUT THIS!? We need to stop the uni from cutting all these shurts!

hidys

Huh? I was under the impression "marriage" is a s51 exclusive federal power.

Powers listed under s51 are powers held by both state and federal governments. If there is a federal law that overrides state law however than it is invalid.

Rezbit

You know I was just thinking while laying here in bed: this campaign has been a fucking phony war of the highest order. Both Labor and Liberal should be ashamed of the campaign they've run, it's been a shitfest of negativity on both sides, with neither actually telling us straight up what they want to do. Maybe that's the age we live in, where we are simply going to shuffle the deck of shit of who leads us. Fuck both the major parties.

You know I was just thinking while laying here in bed: this campaign has been a fucking phony war of the highest order. Both Labor and Liberal should be ashamed of the campaign they've run, it's been a shitfest of negativity on both sides, with neither actually telling us straight up what they want to do. Maybe that's the age we live in, where we are simply going to shuffle the deck of shit of who leads us. Fuck both the major parties.

I agree. It's probably the reason we ended up with a hung parliament last election and if we didn't have murdock meddling we'd probably see the same thing again :/

Dead Man

I just want to say that near my university the Greens have been running these print ads saying that under Labor or Liberal universities will get funding cuts and we will be worse off.
That's all good and proper but then they direct you to a website "UNI CUTS HURT.com" but I always read it as "UNI CUT SHURT.com" which annoys the hell out of me.

WHY IS THE UNI CUTTING SHURTS? WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN TOLD ABOUT THIS!? We need to stop the uni from cutting all these shurts!

LOL :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

This election has been the epitome of embarrassment and failure in Australian politics. We really should be collectively ashamed that this is where we're at on a political level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom