• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventron

Actually... wouldn't working outside the law be a far worse form of censorship? Bolt had his day in court. What's this dude gonna do against unknown people who threaten his career and involve his friends and family? Sue?

It's intimidation, but it's not censorship. We'll see if this amounts to anything, I doubt it because plenty of these sorts of threats amount to nothing, as Ed Husic or Tony Windsor can attest, for example.

Yagharek

It's intimidation, but it's not censorship. We'll see if this amounts to anything, I doubt it because plenty of these sorts of threats amount to nothing, as Ed Husic or Tony Windsor can attest, for example.

Not to Godwin, but they are one and the same in many unsavoury regimes. The libs have already decided to gag the reporting of the asylum seeker boat arrivals. They are imposing an internet filter. They will probably bring back sedition laws in use.

No fucking way will they be putting up gay marriage for a conscience vote. This is the nanny state the nutcases were calling labor last time.

hirokazu

I got a "letter" from Malcolm Turnbull, member for Wentworth, which seat has nothing to do with me, urging me to vote for the Liberal member for Sydney. What.

stay fucking classy Liberals

Not the party marked 110, the party not marked because I had run out of numbers. Had I have known that they allowed a few sequencing errors I would have just left it blank.

Ahhh right. I get you now.

I think people are overreacting to a Liberal victory here. It isn't a mandate to go bananas and Labours internal politics is too unstable for them to reliably Govern with credibility. The country survived just fine under Howard, calm the fuck down.

Just fine. Is just fine what we should wish for our government?
I mean the middle class welfare was pretty great wasn't it
Thing is, the mining boom is winding down and if Abbot et al. emulate the fiscal irresponsibility that Howard & Costello displayed we won't be fine for long.

Gay marriage can be done at the state level, and anyway winning that debate is about culture, not law. As far as the Internet is concerned, Liberal voters tend to be older and more rural, it's about constituencies interests. Besides, look at whats going around the world as this election takes place. Australia is at the absolute high end of functional and competent politics, and that would be true under either Government.

Why would you want it done on the state level though? It seems to me matters of equality should be enacted on the largest scale possible rather than creating disharmony between the states.

tsumineko

Why would you want it done on the state level though? It seems to me matters of equality should be enacted on the largest scale possible rather than creating disharmony between the states.

It's an excuse. Abbot doesn't need to support it, so it's OK to vote for him.

hirokazu

Why? The question was essentially "how should we determine who qualifies for Indigenous-only welfare programs?"

The article he wrote wasn't to promote discussion, it was designed to inflame certain sections of the readership. "Why those pesky whites pretending to be abos* to gain an advantage!"

(*Sorry)

But more alarmingly, it is accusatory and offensive to the people he wrote about and others with some Aboriginal heritage who are proud to identify as an Aborigine. Who are we to say that they are not?

I don't see any legitimate discussion in what Bolt wrote. If he wanted to promote discussion on the matter, and he did believe people of minority Aboriginal heritage should be eligible, he could have questioned the criteria for receiving awards, schemes and whatnot designed to benefit Aborigines. He could also investigate people who claim to be Aborigines but weren't at all.

To write an article attacking people due to their own self-identification to one part of their heritage just because they don't look the part is disgusting.

Also, on your opinion of the author of that "idiot" website and the apparently Liberal-affiliated intimidation against him, his job and possibly his family, I think the problem is that at least from what I gather, you're basically saying "Well yeah, this is wrong BUT! he had it coming and he probably deserves it."

No, I don't think anybody deserves to be intimidated for having any political view or for attacking any political party, much less having that intimidation come from anonymous members of said political party. That's pretty messed up shit, and he should probably take the matter to the police, but that's up to him.

Ventron

I knew you'd do that. The only similarity between them is that they're both bad.

Not to Godwin, but they are one and the same in many unsavoury regimes. The libs have already decided to gag the reporting of the asylum seeker boat arrivals. They are imposing an internet filter. They will probably bring back sedition laws in use.

I remember when flag burning became an issue and John Howard refused to make laws banning it, saying people should be free to express themselves. I agree that some of the things they've been doing are downright stupid (all parties have done stupid things), but we're not close to a despotic regime.

According to ABC it looks as if the LNP has backflipped on the filter. That was really fast.

Yagharek

I remember when flag burning became an issue and John Howard refused to make laws banning it, saying people should be free to express themselves. I agree that some of the things they've been doing are downright stupid (all parties have done stupid things), but we're not close to a despotic regime.

According to ABC it looks as if the LNP has backflipped on the filter. That was really fast.

I remember when Howard's government brought in/back sedition laws.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_sedition_law

How's that free speechy thing working out for you? :p

Just fine. Is just fine what we should wish for our government?

I'd take it?

But seriously it is pretty much "Obama is a secret muslim" time with some of the comments about Abbott. He is just an incompetent politician. The sun will rise on Sunday, then they'll spend the next three years debating something over and over and nothing much will change. Heck, it'll take them a year and a half just to unpack.

My only real concern is if the Labor party doesn't get its act together. If they are still a mess by the next election, that is when things could start to get bad.

Jintor

So if someone sends a thug round to break my legs note saying they'll make my professional life a living hell unless I shut my mouth, that's not censorship, just intimidation? Seems like it's performing substantially the same function, Vent.

Yagharek

Aussies, hows the state of the economy over there compared to other 1st world countries? wages/hours, % of young people needing work etc, not as bad?

Its in fantastic shape. Obviously unemployment is a problem in some regional areas, but nationally it's at about 6% which is pretty good.

Youth unemployment is about 22-25% though, which I dont think is good but I dont know what international standards are.

hirokazu

So if someone sends a thug round to break my legs note saying they'll make my professional life a living hell unless I shut my mouth, that's not censorship, just intimidation? Seems like it's performing substantially the same function, Vent.

I'm afraid I would have to agree with him that that is intimidation, not censorship.

I don't remember the outcome of the Bolt case, but I don't remember him being censored either, though.

Yagharek

Intimidation is morally far worse than censorship. People can work around censorship through imports etc, but you can't work around a busted kneecap or subtle harassment leading to coercive dismissal.

Jintor

I'm afraid I would have to agree with him that that is intimidation, not censorship.

I don't remember the outcome of the Bolt case, but I don't remember him being censored either, though.

It's not 'strict' censorship in the state-mandated form, certainly. But intimidation can certainly itself constitute a form of censorship, no?

Ventron

It's not 'strict' censorship in the state-mandated form, certainly. But intimidation can certainly itself constitute a form of censorship, no?

You might intimidate someone in an attempt to get them to self-censor, but that's really the only link. I could intimidate and threaten you if I wanted a post of yours to be deleted, but it isn't up to me whether said post gets deleted.

My whole argument in the last few pages was about state-mandated censorship, though.

Dingotech

Man they have backflipped on their censorship policy already... that was fast.

Can't wait to see what these guys have in store for us once they're elected....

Dead Man

You might intimidate someone in an attempt to get them to self-censor, but that's really the only link. I could intimidate and threaten you if I wanted a post of yours to be deleted, but it isn't up to me whether said post gets deleted.

My whole argument in the last few pages was about state-mandated censorship, though.

Did you miss the event on the last page where ISP's were threatened to censor someone? It is not just about self censorship.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

I understand that you were arguing about state regulation of the media, but your attempts to distinguish between censorship and intimidation are invalid. The goal of the intimidation is censorship. Similarly, if Bolt wanted to he could republish those articles, or write new ones on the same topic. He doesn't though, because he knows there would be legal consequences. The difference isn't between intimidation and censorship, it's between where the intimidation that enforces the censorship comes from. There's a reason these sorts of things are handled by the courts and not vigilantes.

Fewer backflips

I expect more as Tony Abbott will appear on the next season of celebrity spash in his budgie smugglers and attempt a reverse triple flip with a half twist.

I'm glad Choc is banned, this thread would of being a warzone.

SCANNERS.gif

Glad you have mandatory voting there too, best aussie website for polls/prediction?

I don't know if it's the best per se, but the box on the right here titled 'Bludgertrack 2013' is an aggregate. props to wonzo for introducing me to it.
edit: FUCK YOU WONZO I TAKE IT BACK

Jintor

Ah, okay, we were arguing with different definitions.

paile

Banned
I don't know why people are continuing to pay attention to this.

1. Liberal is going to win.
2. You are not going to be happy.

Seriously, just go on a media blackout like I did weeks ago and save yourself the stress.

paile

Banned
Thank your lucky stars we don't live in Syria!

And Syrians can thank their lucky stars they don't live in North Korea or Sudan.

A country with fucked policies may be less fucked than a country with more fucked policies, but it's still a fucked country with fucked policies all the same.

Australia is about to get more fucked.

Jintor

1. Liberal is going to win.
2. You are not going to be happy.

In that spirit, let us try out some wonderful phrases.

"The mandate handed to us by the Australian people..."

"The Honourable Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott"

"Deputy Prime Minister Julie Bishop"*

* Actually, does the Deputy Leader of the Opposition automatically become the Deputy Prime Minister in the same way Shadow Ministers automatically... uh... from memory I believe they devour their predecessors.

Dead Man

* Actually, does the Deputy Leader of the Opposition automatically become the Deputy Prime Minister in the same way Shadow Ministers automatically... uh... from memory I believe they devour their predecessors.

That is actually quite horrifying.

Ventron

In Labor, yes, but I think under the Coalition agreement the deputy PM is the leader of the Nationals.

Yagharek

Wrong. The Liberal deputy does not become Deputy Prime Minister.

The senior Nationals member does.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce.

That's what we will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom