• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Man was just listening to Turnbull and Albanese on Triple J's Hack program. Malcolm trying to justify dat internet filter saying it's not so bad, IT'S LIKE ENGLANDS! Also just deflected anything about the costings of Libs broadband plan, just saying wow how expensive is NBN. Didn't even sound convinced. Our internet is fucked.

Jintor

That reminds me, I did find the one odd thing about the Future Party - they want to build a university city between sydney and canberra called turing for some reason or the other.

I think people are overreacting to a Liberal victory here. It isn't a mandate to go bananas and Labours internal politics is too unstable for them to reliably Govern with credibility. The country survived just fine under Howard, calm the fuck down.

Ventron

BTYfzipCMAAKOu3.jpg:large

Posts something really stupid and ineloquent about a group of people.
Wonders why said group of people want to take revenge.

Well, hopefully this provides social media with the crucial "other side" the next time they think about doxxing someone (hi Q&A pastor)

markot

Banned
I think people are overreacting to a Nazi victory here. It isn't a mandate to go bananas and SDPs internal politics is too unstable for them to reliably Govern with credibility. The country survived just fine under The Kaiser, calm the fuck down.

SEEEEEEE!!!!!!

tsumineko

I think people are overreacting to a Liberal victory here. It isn't a mandate to go bananas and Labours internal politics is too unstable for them to reliably Govern with credibility. The country survived just fine under Howard, calm the fuck down.

But it's about what we could have had... true broadband... marriage equality...

You don't think a political party harassing and stalking some guy who made a pretty inoffensive website in his own spare time that happened to say some mean things about them is problematic? NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO DISAGREE.

tsumineko

You don't think a political party harassing and stalking some guy who made a pretty inoffensive website in his own spare time that happened to say some mean things about them is problematic? NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO DISAGREE.

Exactly. The guy AND HIS ASSOCIATES got threats over this FROM THE FUTURE GOVERNMENT! For voicing his opinion on their policies!

Yagharek

Well, hopefully this provides social media with the crucial "other side" the next time they think about doxxing someone (hi Q&A pastor)

Last night you were arguing for freedom of speech so Bolt can be racist. Now you are victim blaming. Jesus.

Ventron

It is wrong. But I do find it VERY rich that social media is complaining about stalking and posting the personal info of someone who's said something highly confronting.

Last night you were arguing for freedom of speech so Bolt can be racist. Now you are victim blaming.

As I said, it is wrong what has happened.

Rubixcuba

Banned
It is wrong. But I do find it VERY rich that social media is complaining about stalking and posting the personal info of someone who's said something highly confronting.

As I said, it is wrong what has happened.

What was confronting about it bar the use of possible offensive language ?

But it's about what we could have had... true broadband... marriage equality...

Gay marriage can be done at the state level, and anyway winning that debate is about culture, not law. As far as the Internet is concerned, Liberal voters tend to be older and more rural, it's about constituencies interests. Besides, look at whats going around the world as this election takes place. Australia is at the absolute high end of functional and competent politics, and that would be true under either Government.

Fair enough. I generally think harassing people and posting personal info online is a shitty thing to do anyway. A political party doing it though is just unbelievably fucked up.

wonzo

Banned
yes, that totally justifies a political party outright harassing a critic no matter how inelegant they may be.

jesus christ party hacks really will defend anything

e:
shitheads on social media are simply not comparable to an actual political party actively harassing someone

Yagharek

If Abbott goes through a term as reserved as he has been for this campaign, it may actually not be that bad.

I'm more worried about the damage inflicted by the Brandis/Morrison/Mirabella/Joyce/Hockey/Bernadi/Abetz types. Those are people to be seriously scared of.

What happened to "free speech, shouldn't be sued to oblivion, yadda yadda"?

Fake edit: Beaten

Last night you were arguing for freedom of speech so Bolt can be racist. Now you are victim blaming. Jesus.

---

What was confronting about it bar the use of possible offensive language ?

It was a disgusting leftist pig daring to attack Ventron's precious LibNats.

Yagharek

I'd be happy with this:

House of Representatives: Tony Windsor

Senate: Rob Oakeshott

No others needed. Best parliament ever. Question time would be productive and cordial. Reviews would be thorough and thoughtful.

Nick Xenephon could be the President in the Senate and Bob Katter could be Speaker and wear his hat in the chamber.

Jintor

Gay marriage can be done at the state level, and anyway winning that debate is about culture, not law. As far as the Internet is concerned, Liberal voters tend to be older and more rural, it's about constituencies interests. Besides, look at whats going around the world as this election takes place. Australia is at the absolute high end of functional and competent politics, and that would be true under either Government.

Huh? I was under the impression "marriage" is a s51 exclusive federal power.

I'd be happy with this:

House of Representatives: Tony Windsor

Senate: Rob Oakeshott

No others needed. Best parliament ever. Question time would be productive and cordial. Reviews would be thorough and thoughtful.

Nick Xenephon could be the President in the Senate and Bob Katter could be Speaker and wear his hat in the chamber.

love it.

Ventron

What happened to "free speech, shouldn't be sued to oblivion, yadda yadda"?

Fake edit: Beaten

It was a disgusting leftist pig daring to attack Ventron's precious LibNats.

Ugh. Perhaps I need to elaborate.

Just as people in this thread are angry over Andrew Bolt's writings...

Unfortunately, disgusting excuse for a human being.

...the LNP are angry over that image. They've gone too far by essentially doxxing her (him? Jesse is a confusing name) but still this is different than going to court over that image in the hope that will censor it.

Dead Man

Freedom of speech... something something something.

Any way you look at it it's pretty fucked up behaviour from the Libs.

...the LNP are angry over that image.

I think the fundamental issue with the comparison you're trying to draw is that one is a legitimate, if crudely expressed, statement of political facts while the other was "at what point does a brownie stop being brown and just become a regular bludger instead?"

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

...the LNP are angry over that image. They've gone too far by essentially doxxing her (him? Jesse is a confusing name) but still this is different than going to court over that image in the hope that will censor it.
Yes it is different. The former is much worse than the latter, especially since the latter would not succeed in the courts. Furthermore, what do you think the goal of these threats and intimidation are if not censorship?

senahorse

Don't get me wrong, generally I don't believe in censorship unless it's malicious. However when it comes to Andrew Bolt I wouldn't blink an eyelid if he got censored for the rest of his life.

senahorse

So not only are the Coalition going to bastardize the NBN, they are now going to put in a filter. They say it's opt-out but lets see where this leads.

Jintor

Why? The question was essentially "how should we determine who qualifies for Indigenous-only welfare programs?"

Andrew Bolt said:
MEET the white face of a new black race -- the political Aborigine.

Meet, say, acclaimed St Kilda artist Bindi Cole, who was raised by her English-Jewish mother yet calls herself "Aboriginal but white".

She rarely saw her part-Aboriginal father, and could in truth join any one of several ethnic groups, but chose Aboriginal, insisting on a racial identity you could not guess from her features.

She also chose, incidentally, the one identity open to her that has political and career clout.

And how popular a choice that now is. Ask Annette Sax, another artist and -- as the very correct Age newspaper described her -- a "white Koori".

Her father was Swiss, and her mother only part-Aboriginal. Racially, if these things mattered, she is more Caucasian than anything else. Culturally, she's more European. In looks, she's Swiss.

But she, too, has chosen to call herself Aboriginal, which happily means she could be shortlisted for this year's Victorian Indigenous Art Award.

Shall I go on? Not yet convinced that there is a whole new fashion in academia, the arts and professional activism to identify as Aboriginal?

Was it a question posed in a legitimate spirit of discussion, or a series of half-baked, malicious, derisory accusations with a disclaimer tacked on the end to escape the consequences of his actions?

Ventron

I think the fundamental issue with the comparison you're trying to draw is that one is a legitimate, if crudely expressed, statement of political facts while the other was "at what point does a brownie stop being brown and just become a regular bludger instead?"

I think the fundamental issue with the comparison you're trying to draw is that one is "fuck you for not fucking voting the same as me because fuck you" while the other was a question about what it means to qualify for welfare programs that were only meant to help those in need of them?

This fundamental issue shouldn't change based on how it is expressed.

Yes it is different. The former is much worse than the latter, especially since the latter would not succeed in the courts. Furthermore, what do you think the goal of these threats and intimidation are if not censorship?

They're both bad, don't get me wrong, but at least with the former the image is not forced to be taken down because it falls foul of the law. Jesse can talk about this experience to only make this image's reach wider. If it went to court, he/she would need to strictly stay silent especially while the case was ongoing.

Jintor

I don't think so. Tasmania and the ACT came close to passing gay marriage, Tasmania very recently. Unless I'm mistaken about the legality of those bills.

Oh, I made a mistake - State and Commonwealth hold marriage as a concurrent power, (s51(xxi)) though obviously Commonwealth legislation trumps the states (s109). That said, from memory, the current Marriage Act 1961 defines marriage as being between a man and a woman (after Howard's amendment in 2004)... ah, I see. The Tassie bill avoided the legislative word 'marriage' and tried to sneak it in under a substantially similar definition. Sneaky!

Fredescu

I don't think so. Tasmania and the ACT came close to passing gay marriage, Tasmania very recently. Unless I'm mistaken about the legality of those bills.
I think you may be mistaken about what those bills do. The NSW state parliament (lib by a huge margin) passed a guy marriage bill a little while back, but the effect of the bill was basically "federal parliament will you please allow gay marriage". Almost entirely symbolic.

Dead Man

OK, I'll deal with this one more time.
What part of that post is contradictory to freedom of speech?

Why? The question was essentially "how should we determine who qualifies for Indigenous-only welfare programs?"

The part where a political party threatens an individual for speaking?

Jintor

They're both bad, don't get me wrong, but at least with the former the image is not forced to be taken down because it falls foul of the law. Jesse can talk about this experience to only make this image's reach wider. If it went to court, he/she would need to strictly stay silent especially while the case was ongoing.

Actually... wouldn't working outside the law be a far worse form of censorship? Bolt had his day in court. What's this dude gonna do against unknown people who threaten his career and involve his friends and family? Sue?

Dead Man

Actually... wouldn't working outside the law be a far worse form of censorship? Bolt had his day in court. What's this dude gonna do against unknown people who threaten his career and involve his friends and family? Sue?

No no, don't you seem that is totally fine, as long as we don't have processes for thing, the powerful can bully the weak and everything will work itself out because people can tell their side of the story....

Omikron

Online Safety for Children

The Coalition has never supported mandatory internet filtering. Indeed, we have a long record of opposing it.

The policy which was issued today by was poorly worded and incorrectly indicated that the Coalition supported an “opt out” system of internet filtering for both mobile and fixed line services. That is not our policy and never has been.

The correct position is that the Coalition will encourage mobile phone and internet service providers to make available software which parents can choose to install on their own devices to protect their children from inappropriate material.

The policy posted online today on the CHQ website has been replaced with the correct version.

And from Latika Bourke

But what doesn't make sense, is that an MP walked me through the Libs policy and said it was what the working group had settled upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom