• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

rothgar

Wife and I will be in Austin (staying at the Austin Hilton) the last week of October. She'll be at a conference; I'll just be farting around and exploring the city.

Any suggestions of cool things to do nearby without a rental car? Looks like there's two Alamo Drafthouses nearby. Mondo Gallery doesn't appear to have anything announced for that time; will they? Would love to find a place with a bunch of local beers.

Thanks!

You should be able to catch the bats flying out of the Congress Ave. bridge at dusk.

kgtrep

Wife and I will be in Austin (staying at the Austin Hilton) the last week of October. She'll be at a conference; I'll just be farting around and exploring the city.

Any suggestions of cool things to do nearby without a rental car? Looks like there's two Alamo Drafthouses nearby. Mondo Gallery doesn't appear to have anything announced for that time; will they? Would love to find a place with a bunch of local beers.

Thanks!

If you guys are staying throughout the weekend, I recommend the UT tower tour, maybe just before sunset. You can get a 360 view of Austin from up high.

Added a couple more days to my Austin trip, Oct 22-26. Staying at this hostel by UT for two days then moving to Hyatt place downtown.

So how is Austin for the solo traveller? I'm intocraft beers and such. I'm kinda in the middle for socializing.

Zoe

So this is what it feels like to live off Barton Springs Rd.

Hope they can get everything under control soon :(

My wife bought a brisket online from Franklin and had a friend ship it overnight. So damn tasty.

cS721BB.jpg

neshcom

Banned
I keep looking and it's all on the ground. It's stealth-raining.

Hey, meetup this month? We didn't do one last month.

It was raining hard at COTA. Is that consider Austin?

Anyway, hafor a blastime night on 6th. Did the pub crawl thing with a guide. Sure a lot of Australians here.

Got hit pretty hard on east 12th over here. Stayed for about an hour, got pretty intense at one point, and now we're back to gray skies.

KXAN's weathergirl Rosie Newberry is so cute. :3

Chris R

My wife bought a brisket online from Franklin and had a friend ship it overnight. So damn tasty.
Holy cow that's expensive! And that doesn't even include shipping :(

Had some Black's in Lockhart for lunch today, damn was it good. Now to spend some time in downtown Austin for work.

Does anyone know if there is anything fun to do on Halloween Saturday in North/Northwest Austin? I'm afraid some plans will fall thru and I'll have nothin' going on then.

Zoe

Man, PEC is cheaper than Austin Energy (at least as far as I can tell), but they sure suck at coming out to fix problems. Just sitting here in the dark :(

Had a great lunch and beers at Easy Tiger, and am headed to Craft Pride shortly. Am I doing OK, or is that too touristy?

Also, Mondo Gallery is "temporarily closed" this week WTF?

So what is the law regarding Pedestrians in a crosswalk? For example a car is parallel with you but needs to take a left turn that crosses your path in a crosswalk. Or coming towarda you taking a right. Cars just zoom in front of me on a green. That's a guarantee ticket in my state.

As far as bbq goes I tried Franklins, Iron Works, and Stiles Stitch. They were all pretty good but the three hour wait for Franklins wasn't really worth it. Reminds me of these Shrimp trucks in Hawaii where people drive an hour than wait another 1 hour for $13-10 piece shrimp.

So what is the law regarding Pedestrians in a crosswalk? For example a car is parallel with you but needs to take a left turn that crosses your path in a crosswalk. Cars just zoom in front of me on a green.

That's a guarantee ticket in my state.
I personally just take left-turning cars into consideration when I cross. If they hit me -- I only cross when the sign is in -- I'm gonna be suing for a lot of money.
Had a great lunch and beers at Easy Tiger, and am headed to Craft Pride shortly. Am I doing OK, or is that too touristy?

Also, Mondo Gallery is "temporarily closed" this week WTF?
Craft is a good choice. But Lucille's is the place to check out on Rainey.

Zoe

So what is the law regarding Pedestrians in a crosswalk? For example a car is parallel with you but needs to take a left turn that crosses your path in a crosswalk. Or coming towarda you taking a right. Cars just zoom in front of me on a green. That's a guarantee ticket in my state.

If you have the walk sign, they must yield. If you cross when you don't have the walk sign, they could still get in trouble, but so could you.

Go get brunch if you don't leave before the weekend.

Options, since you're staying downtown: La Condesa, Max's Wine Dive, 2nd Bar on Congress, Corner at JW Marriott, Gloria's and Arro.

Or, if you really want my recommendation, uber to Takoba on east 7th.

Zoe

620 was nearly a whiteout this morning around 7:30.

Go get brunch if you don't leave before the weekend.

Options, since you're staying downtown: La Condesa, Max's Wine Dive, 2nd Bar on Congress, Corner at JW Marriott, Gloria's and Arro.

Or, if you really want my recommendation, uber to Takoba on east 7th.

Looks like Gourdough's Public House is doing brunch now too. Might need to try it out after Run for the Water...

I'm at the Airport waiting for my flight, got kinda freaked out when they mentioned on the speaker a tornado warning and they may have to issue an evacuation downstairs in baggage claim.

Calmed down quite a bit now, a lot of people in line changing flights. I'm just drinking some beer as usual waiting.

Zoe

I'm at the Airport waiting for my flight, got kinda freaked out when they mentioned on the speaker a tornado warning and they may have to issue an evacuation downstairs in baggage claim.

Calmed down quite a bit now, a lot of people in line changing flights. I'm just drinking some beer as usual waiting.

They just said on the news that the airport is closed.

Meier

Oh damn. I guess those students who were critical of UT not cancelling classes today have a legit reason to gripe
I was a little surprised. They didn't even have anything on the alerts page until like 9:30 and that seemed strange to me. It flooded at 24th near Speedway (Waller Creek).

Crud

Banned
Is everyone ok? I came into work got soaked sitting at my desk with no shoes on. I'm going to have to take 45 on the way home to avoid all the flooding where I stay.

Stay safe CTX GAF! Turn around don't drown!

Thankfully, I didnt have to travel out to Temple today and got to stay home for work. That would have been a nervous drive. Looks like the rain has stopped out here for the time being.

Just another day for me, lmao. I got to work before the storm hit, and I was in the heart of my fortress of a hotel I work at. The tornado warning alarms are going off and we're just cutting vegetables like nothing is happening. XD

Zoe

This is insane.

Their reaction was amazing.. someone was nice enough to cap it:

uSnRiKS.png

UPDATE 2:43 p.m. - Kerry has been rescued after more than four hours in the tree. EMS called KVUE and said they had him and he appeared to be okay after his experience.

Dude spent over 5 HOURS in a tree in the middle of a storm.

Crud

Banned
Wtf Jesus. Just got home if it rains any more I will be stuck in my hood. One way in one way out.

EDIT: AAAAND It's raining again. v_v

EDIT: 1 dead there are people missing elderly couple around FM973

Hazmat

It took me almost 2 hours to get to work this morning. I didn't realize the rain would be so bad and spent a good chunk of it in a parking lot on 71 listening to the new Hardcore History.

Chris R

Looks like I made the right plan in driving to Dallas for my flight. Can't imagine how bad the rain must be to close the airport, since the rain was crazy last weekend but it didn't shut down then.

Had fun in Austin again, only added a single "never again" place to my list (Roppolo’s on 6th, I wanted pizza and it was ok, but the bartender charged/gave me a pitcher when I asked for a pint... and she was creepy as fuck)

I went to Daruma Ramen recently, wasn't a huge fan. I do recommend Michi Ramen however. But these are the only two times i've had real ramen so maybe i'm a bad judge.

Top Bottom