• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Anyone else listen to KUT religiously? I always tune in for Q on weeknights, which usually flows into This American Life, RadioLab, or Snap Judgment depending on the night.

How's everyone doing? :)

neshcom

Banned
Cool. Where'd you end up?

As for PAX, I'll probably see ya there. I got a 3 day myself because why the hell not. It's only $75.

As for the meetup, yea it'd have to be the end of the month, I barely have any time lol. Then it's ACL the weekend after haha. Busy busy.

I ended up down south at Regency Park. Gonna get that Google Fiber, man. Anyone else in that area? What's the best Taco Bell?

Oh shit, I forgot about ACL. I wasn't too interested in the lineup like last year. There's only a couple of small acts I'd be interested in.

Anyone else listen to KUT religiously? I always tune in for Q on weeknights, which usually flows into This American Life, RadioLab, or Snap Judgment depending on the night.

How's everyone doing? :)

Yeah, it's pretty much the only radio station I listen to. I like that Two Heads or whatever show that they have on for ten minutes where they talk about science stuff.

Chris R

So planning my visit next month... is traffic on I-35 still insane? Is the toll road worth it? Trying to figure out how much I'd owe is a PITA though, since it looks like it's three different toll roads around Austin?

Timeaisis

I had "The Cowboy" at Taco Deli for the first time today. Shit was so good I almost started randomly doing dropkicks in the restaurant. And their guacamole is surreal. Ordered two more of those tacos on my way out the door.

Their Frontera Fundido, Cowboy and Delibely are all celebration-worthy tacos, imo. I feel ya.

neshcom

Banned
Fighting games are for nerds, pass it on.

So, I got moved into my new place and am in the middle of unpacking. Any good food recs down south near Congress and Stassney?

inki

Heading to Dallas Late October, heading to Austin to visit my Sister and Mom for A NIGHT (thur-fri). I've been to The Salt Lick and found it Amazing (not going back). I'm looking for 2 places to eat (1 in Austin and 1 in Dallas) THAT I MUST GO TO.
BBQ is a must however if 1 city has the best, no need to try the 2nd best.
Give me an alternative that has great meats (burger, chicken, taco's etc).
So Best BBQ between both cities and 1 other eatery of amazing seared animal muscle product.
I understand this may cause debate but looking for all around best, no necessarily BEST burnt ends here but the sides suck.. etc.

Thanks!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Hey Austinites. I'm going to be in town this weekend for not-ACL. If you had to guess, how horrible is it going to be trying to line-up for Franklins on Friday?

Poeton

Figures... maybe I'll just go to La Barbecue instead.

I guess, there's always next year. :\

Yep. I'll be in town for Mondo-con, which has been months in planning. Got everything planned out... well, finally looking up Franklins hours threw a wrench in the works.

To be honest, I wonder how much more busy Franklin's will be Saturday and Sunday, seeing as most of ACL goers will be resting up in the morning. Friday could suck though.

Zoe

I mean, if you have nothing better to do in the morning, you could get there around 6 or 7 and just snooze in a lawn chair until opening.

Meier

Fallen... if you can deal with the wait time, it's so, so worth it. Sorry I won't be able to hang at MondoCon this year!

Meier

Why is MondoCon on the same weekend as ACL. Who's idea was that.
Someone insane! Last year it was a few weeks earlier. I'm sure they'd have preferred not to have the overlap but I guess it must have been tough with a lot of early home games for UT and things like that.

Zoe

Wow, the sun is out in full force yet it isn't hot! Is this what fall feels like? I've forgotten.

Hope my foot gets better before tomorrow so I can go for a long run at the lake :(

fenners

Someone insane! Last year it was a few weeks earlier. I'm sure they'd have preferred not to have the overlap but I guess it must have been tough with a lot of early home games for UT and things like that.

Last year it was the same time as Fantastic Fest...

What are everyone's plans for Halloween?

Music games in the late 90s early 2000s were the best (and really was the time when the genre exploded). That one remains one of the more uobeat and fun party games you can still play imo.

DDR will always be the best creation. But yeah, it truly looks like an awesome/fun game that I'd love try out. Also, would love to understand how it all works as well, because I couldn't figure that out by watching. xD

I'll be in Austin 23rd to 26th for the F1 race. What would be the best way to get from the Airport to downtown Austin? Will transportation be a clusterfuck on that weekend?

Crud

Banned
We should do something on Friday 10/30 like pregame somewhere and bar crawl on the east side dressed up in Halloween costumes.

Zoe

I'm stuck in that weird place where it's stuffy when the A/C is off but too cold when it's on.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Back in NYC. I already miss the fish taco from Tamale House.

Didn't make it to Franklins or La Barbecue. Flight got delayed and got in early in the morning. Had to settle for Micklethwait at Mondo-con... which was way better than I remembered last year. Maybe I just got a bum slice of brisket that time.

Fallen... if you can deal with the wait time, it's so, so worth it. Sorry I won't be able to hang at MondoCon this year!

Too bad you couldn't make it. I think you'd appreciate how well run it was compared to last year.

Why is MondoCon on the same weekend as ACL. Who's idea was that.

They didn't want it to take place concurrently with Fantastic Fest again, since I think there was some complaints about that. So they pushed it to the following weekend.

Hi Austin-GAF! I'm flying in Thursday morning, picking up at a rental car from the Austin airport at 9:30. How do you guys think I would fare if I headed straight to Franklin's after that?

Hi Austin-GAF! I'm flying in Thursday morning, picking up at a rental car from the Austin airport at 9:30. How do you guys think I would fare if I headed straight to Franklin's after that?

You'll be fine Id think.

La Barbecue and even Terry Blacks are just barely not as good though and will probably have no lines.

Wife and I will be in Austin (staying at the Austin Hilton) the last week of October. She'll be at a conference; I'll just be farting around and exploring the city.

Any suggestions of cool things to do nearby without a rental car? Looks like there's two Alamo Drafthouses nearby. Mondo Gallery doesn't appear to have anything announced for that time; will they? Would love to find a place with a bunch of local beers.

Thanks!

Top Bottom