• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Oooooooh, yeah.
Corner is badass, y'all should check it out. Yes, even locals, their bar is awesome and their food is good.
Salt Lick is a good first BBQ here. You get to eat a lot/try different things and the BYOB atmosphere is good with a group.

I always take friends from out of town to Salt Lick before Franklins to give them a sense of how great Franklins is.
My friends who've gone to both say Franklin has the best brisket, but Salt Lick has better ribs and sausage.

I just can't do the wait, man. My time is too precious. :\

I haven't had to chance to try anything that wasn't fast food yet, so last night I picked up Pok-E-Jo's because I heard it was decent and close by. My god, it's crazy to think it gets better than this. The Jalapeno Cornbread was out of this world.

71JbuhEl.jpg

Timeaisis

I haven't had to chance to try anything that wasn't fast food yet, so last night I picked up Pok-E-Jo's because I heard it was decent and close by. My god, it's crazy to think it gets better than this. The Jalapeno Cornbread was out of this world.

71JbuhEl.jpg

Pok-e-Joe's is actually really good. There's better BBQ out there, but it's a really solid place if you just want some quick BBQ. There's one right next to my house, too. :) And yes, their jalepeno cornbread is glorious.

Some people like Bill Miller better, but I don't see it.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Has anyone been to Frankin's since school started? Trying to judge the wait for tomorrow.

I drove by the day school started. Shortest line I've seen in a long time (still an hour). I then drove to La Barbecue and the line was 3 people long. It was glorious.

If you want a sneak peek at the line just check out https://twitter.com/franklinbbqline they post a photo every morning. The line has been relatively short since school started.

I drove by the day school started. Shortest line I've seen in a long time (still an hour). I then drove to La Barbecue and the line was 3 people long. It was glorious.

If you want a sneak peek at the line just check out https://twitter.com/franklinbbqline they post a photo every morning. The line has been relatively short since school started.
I cruise by Franklin's on my bus ride home from work every day. The lines aren't short, I'd say.

KodaRuss

Headed to Austin this weekend for a wedding. Really pissed about the timing though because Texas v Notre Dame will be going on at the same time.

To top it off its a couple Sooners getting married too...

KodaRuss

La Barbecue doesn't get enough love IMO.

I went last time I was in Austin. It was great but I believe Franklins is better.

Definitely recommend it but I did not like the sausage (really dried out, may have just been a bad day for the sausage).

Since when is "interesting" the stick we use to measure street dicks?
Idk I'd never argue for any part of Parmer as the best place to live in Austin. I find it a pretty boring area. Plenty of people think areas with more going on are better areas. Hardly a rare way of thinking.

Feel free to qualify what you think is great tho. That's the way discussion works on a discussion board. I'm not gonna yell at you for disagreeing or say you're measuring your 'street dick' whatever that means but you do you, homie.

Parmer is a long road.
Well yes. I use almost the entirety of it pretty often. I know it's long. I got a lot of work up at one end past where it turns into ronald reagan blvd and a base of operations for work was in manor so I'm pretty aware of the entirety of it.

Timeaisis

So Franklin's line was crazy today so I went to La Barbecue. Line was short when I got there and was served within 15 minutes of opening.

Really, really good.

The Saaaaaaalt Lick

8g4ZUl6l.jpg

The Driftwood location is awesome. We had to wait an hour but the atmosphere and seating is great. It felt like something out of Disney World.

neshcom

Banned
Oh shit, Mario Maker is around the corner. Need to step up on MGSV before then.

Re: rain: yeah, right? Walked out to get the mail and apparently it's wet now.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Well,

In a total swerve we are moving to South Lamar/Oltorf area near Zilker Elementary. Offer accepted, waiting to hear from the inspector now, wife getting in a plane on Monday to check it out.

I know the area super well, and I can easily stumble home from black sheep.

Had intended on North Central Austin, but a 3/2 on a giant lot for under 600k was far too much to pass up. I am now much further away from Pinballz than I had intended.

Poeton

Well,

In a total swerve we are moving to South Lamar/Oltorf area near Zilker Elementary. Offer accepted, waiting to hear from the inspector now, wife getting in a plane on Monday to check it out.

Had intended on North Central Austin, but a 3/2 on a giant lot for under 600k was far too much to pass up. I am now much further away from Pinballz than I had intended.

Look at it this, you're halfway between the North and South Pinballz so you got options now.

neshcom

Banned
Y'all, looking for apartments suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I got sucked into the wormhole of looking at Yelp reviews for complexes. Someone stop me.

Magni

Hey AustinGAF!

I was in town for a conference this week, decided to stay the extra night to enjoy the city a bit more. I heard there's a UT game in town tonight, what would be a good place to watch it?

All my coworkers headed back to NY, so if anyone wants to hang out with a random solitary GAFfer, let me know!

Well,

Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm at Oltorf and Congress.

fuzzyset

Sorry, I'm venting and frustrated: i just don't get this fucking city and its drivers everytime it sprinkles. We have some of the worst drivers of any city I have lived in. Two accidents: one resulted in death off parmer and anderson ln. Another off research blvd. god fucking damn it. I feel so awful about someone losing their life and not understanding why people are so aggressive during the rain is frustrating

It's the same way in California. It rains so infrequent here (Austin) that the roads absorb a shit ton of oil / liquids. When it rains, that gets pushed up and makes the roads really slick. I'm surprised it's not taught when you get a license here :-/

Yeah, I had to go in for some OT at work and I ended up passing by what was left of the clean up. So much for coming in early.

Oh and I'm so fucking sick and tired of people lazing along in the lane beside me, not a care in the world, until I turn on my turn signal to merge. They transform into a lane hogging monster. Speeding up, not to pass you so you can slip in behind, but to outright block you from getting into the lane. Do people in other cities do it? Sure. But I've been on two road trips in the last few months and I go to San Antonio and Houston regularly. It's a one off occurence everywhere else I drive. But fucking 90% of the drivers in this goddamned city do it. You want to lane change in Austin? Fuck your turn signals, forget they exist. /rant

Anyone doing PAX South this year? Tickets just went up.

Honestly I'm a bit wary of PAX South. This was the first year and it's understandable that it wouldn't be that big but it didn't even use half of the convention center. The main hall was quite subdued (Nintendo was the only one of the Big 3 to show up) and there wasn't that much to play or do. I think it might be worth a day pass but not a full weekend. Man, why couldn't it have been here in Austin...

Coolluck

Honestly I'm a bit wary of PAX South. This was the first year and it's understandable that it wouldn't be that big but it didn't even use half of the convention center. The main hall was quite subdued (Nintendo was the only one of the Big 3 to show up) and there wasn't that much to play or do. I think it might be worth a day pass but not a full weekend. Man, why couldn't it have been here in Austin...

Yeah, it was definitely not worth more than a day for me. Glad that's all I bought. With so many more Spring games popping up, you'd hope more games would be shown. But then again, Super Slam Dunk Touchdown was amazing.

I'll definitely be going to PAX South. I just went one day last year and had a good time. Enter the Gungeon was the highlight for me. I think I might grab a 3 day pass this time and just hop in and out throughout the weekend.

I missed the GAF meetup last time so hopefully I can make it to that.

neshcom

Banned
Signing my new lease tomorrow morning. Then it'll be a big scramble to start packing and move in before Tuesday.

Yeah, I picked up a 3-day badge. Last year I could only do a day trip, but I've got friends coming in, so it'll be ncie to spend time with them. With as big as PAX grows, it should fill up the hall this year (right?)

Speaking of GAF meetup, anyone down for one this month? I'm pretty busy but I can probably make it work.

Yeah! Maybe near the end of the month?

Timeaisis

Signing my new lease tomorrow morning. Then it'll be a big scramble to start packing and move in before Tuesday.

Yeah, I picked up a 3-day badge. Last year I could only do a day trip, but I've got friends coming in, so it'll be ncie to spend time with them. With as big as PAX grows, it should fill up the hall this year (right?)

Yeah! Maybe near the end of the month?

Cool. Where'd you end up?

As for PAX, I'll probably see ya there. I got a 3 day myself because why the hell not. It's only $75.

As for the meetup, yea it'd have to be the end of the month, I barely have any time lol. Then it's ACL the weekend after haha. Busy busy.

Top Bottom