• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Australia) Shellshock Nam '67 refused classification

lordmrw

Fallopian Tube said:

You have got to be fucking kidding me with that shit. I can't believe someone would actually put that in a game. On a related note, I was in Gamestop yesterday, and there was some guy in there getting loud with store clerk when he found out Shellshock was pushed back to September. He kept mentioning that the magazine said June, and wouldn't accept that it was delayed. Kept going on about how they should have the game now like the magazine said. Fucking idiot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You have got to be fucking kidding me with that shit. I can't believe someone would actually put that in a game.
What's the big deal? GTA3 had the same thing three years ago. It was offbeat funny then, and it's the same here :\

neptunes

it's nothing serious really.

she just takes you into some shack and the whole structure shakes as if you were getting it on.

pilonv1

Australias archaic censorship laws have already shown that you can stab someone repeatedly in the face with a shard of glass (Manhunt) and they wont bat an eyelid, but anything sexual gets cut out.

At least it's nothing important to the game but it's so utterly narrowminded.

C- for Australia

No in all seriousness, I'm looking forward to playing Shellshock. Not for the Boom Boom Action, but...And could Guerilla please fix some of that animation? Now that the game is delayed for three months, and it's finished, we should see a demo. We can only hope.

stonedwal

Australias archaic censorship laws have already shown that you can stab someone repeatedly in the face with a shard of glass (Manhunt) and they wont bat an eyelid, but anything sexual gets cut out.

You can probably thank Brian Harradine (and the gits that voted for him) for this mess, seeing as he had the balance of power in the senate, which allowed him to push his own agenda. It's always amazed me how bible thumpers are okay with violence, but are so opposed to sexual content, despite the fact the book encourages people to be fruitful and multiply. Harradine has something like 13 kids, yet is opposed to sexual content in the media.

Reminds me of that Bill Hicks routine about having a centrefold in the bible.

skip

lordmrw said:
You have got to be fucking kidding me with that shit. I can't believe someone would actually put that in a game. On a related note, I was in Gamestop yesterday, and there was some guy in there getting loud with store clerk when he found out Shellshock was pushed back to September. He kept mentioning that the magazine said June, and wouldn't accept that it was delayed. Kept going on about how they should have the game now like the magazine said. Fucking idiot.

did he...did he push down the magazine rack?

Marconelly said:
SSX, is your avatar made from the video of some fashion show with Christina Aguillera?

Yep, from some male model fashion show.

Did anyone check out Shellshock at E3? I was just reading IGN's impressions of it and they said it seemed to be really early. The framerate wasn't consistant, the HUD wasn't complete and most of the levels were still incomplete. It seems to be alot further off than Eidos is hinting at or it might turn out to be another Driver 3. Awesome concept but shipped early because it's taking too long and costing too much to develop.

BuG

CVG have a hands-on report from last week. It sounds like they're playing a relatively recent build and they seem to have enjoyed what was there.

In regards to the sex during loads, the way it's described in this thread it sounds like it'll be completely out of context given the theme of the game (Shellshock is the game which will try to show the true atrocities of the Vietnam war, isn't it? Or is that another game altogether?). Even if it were rape, well that shit happened over there didn't it? I don't know about rape being playable, but if the game is trying to show what really happened, or at least an approximation of what happened, I could see the reasoning behind including it as something which happens within the game world. If what SSX says is true, though, this has nothing to do with rape.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Ill Saint said:
Not surprising. Australia is a joke when it comes to censorship issues in film and games.

True, although the same could be said of Guerrilla - extended scenes of torture towards women get the full-frontal treatment, but sex is portrayed off-screen with embarrassingly bad schoolboy innuendo. Another victory for gritty maturity in games!

D2M15 said:
True, although the same could be said of Guerrilla - extended scenes of torture towards women get the full-frontal treatment, but sex is portrayed off-screen with embarrassingly bad schoolboy innuendo. Another victory for gritty maturity in games!

That's basically how it is in movies though. Certain sex scnees can get you a NC-17 rating while you can be as violent as you want without getting that. So they tone down the sex and up the violence.

Meier

Watching the "Boom Boom Action" video reminds me of how absolutely awful the control was at E3. Seeing that character move around so unrealistically is just painful.

spangler

That "Boom Boom Action" video is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a videogame, and I've seen lots and lots of dumb things in lots and lots of games. Does it really seem appropriate to go for cheap laughs in a game that claims to depict the true horrors of the Vietnam war? That concept itself is pretty damn stupid as well and I'd be mortified by the whole deal if I were either vietnamese or a veteran. Developers need to realize that games are not real life no matter how much they want to sell them as such. I'd be embarrassed to own the game after seeing that clip.

hirokazu

Ill Saint said:
Not surprising. Australia is a joke when it comes to censorship issues in film and games.

Australia is the only country where the government controls the ratings system films, home video, and games, right? i mean, other countries have independent boards, which, IMO do a much better job, since they're really only guidelines, while here in Australia, if something hasn't been reviewed by the Classification Board yet or has been given the RC, its illegal to sell or screen them.

also another funny thing is its meant to be legal to purchase X-rated stuff here, but illegal to sell them in most states...

spangler said:
That "Boom Boom Action" video is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a videogame, and I've seen lots and lots of dumb things in lots and lots of games. Does it really seem appropriate to go for cheap laughs in a game that claims to depict the true horrors of the Vietnam war? That concept itself is pretty damn stupid as well and I'd be mortified by the whole deal if I were either vietnamese or a veteran. Developers need to realize that games are not real life no matter how much they want to sell them as such. I'd be embarrassed to own the game after seeing that clip.

i think all that crap about depicting the horrors of the war is just a marketing ploy, and really they just want to do it to make it different from all the other war games- people are just gonna play and go "hahaha, that's funny, that's do that again", not like they're gonna play it and go damn, them Americans did some horrible things, especially the kids who play it. i personally think its quite unethical for them to be doing this, but meh.

spangler

I'm not saying I think a game will have a real impact on the way people view the world and/or history. I just think it's stupid. I certainly agree that the OMG! Tru War Horror!!!!! aspect is a marketing ploy, but I feel it is an especially ill-conceived and offensive marketing ploy. Sure, Kubrick could pull off broken-english hookers, but Kubrick is something of a genius and the developers of this game aren't. A film like Full Metal Jacket allows the viewer to think through the complexities and feel for characters on all sides of the conflict. This is a valuable thing. This game, on the other hand, allows adolescent boys to snicker at the "gooks" and post about how rad the game is on Gamefaqs or teamxbox. This is a dumb thing. It takes a deft hand to deal with controversial matters in a thought-provoking way and the developers of this game seem to be working with stumps.

hirokazu said:
also another funny thing is its meant to be legal to purchase X-rated stuff here, but illegal to sell them in most states...

How do you do it? How do you survive? Do you just look at pictures of marsupials?

Keio

For a Finer World
spangler said:
This game, on the other hand, allows adolescent boys to snicker at the "gooks" and post about how rad the game is on Gamefaqs or teamxbox. This is a dumb thing. It takes a deft hand to deal with controversial matters in a thought-provoking way and the developers of this game seem to be working with stumps.

Thanks for clearing your views up - and with a very good post.

I agree completely with you. I'd love to see just one game which would manage to make war something else than an exciting and fun experience. Of course that's the paradox: if it wasn't fun, would you play it?

Does anyone remember any games which have managed to depict controversial things in a way that would have made the player think.

At least according to some, Edge trashed Shellshock. Was it a 4 out of 10? No surprises there.

The greatest movie based on Vietnam, 'Casualties of War', depicts in accurate and horrifying detail how a lot of soldiers treated the women of the land. I suggest everyone rent the DVD and watch it. Then watch that "Boom Boom" clip.

Fucking terrible.

Regardless, the game should be released despite what some politicians think. It may be a really fucking stupid game with terrible controls and a distorted view of the war, but it's the consumers who should decide what's successful or not.

spangler

It's not about sex, Shuri. It's about context.
I agree that the game should be released; it isn't the government's job to protect us from dumbass products. I do hope that the public sees through the silly bullshit, though, and keeps their money in their pocket. Given the success of Driv3r (an awful game for different but very obvious reasons) this is rather hard to predict.

fart

Savant
as offensive as it is, it doesn't really stomp on anyone else's rights. censorship is not the answer. i do think the developers should be censured and boycotted though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That concept itself is pretty damn stupid as well and I'd be mortified by the whole deal if I were either vietnamese or a veteran.
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. So you say the concept is damn stupid, then name another work that uses the exact same concept (of depicting the attrocities of war) but now it's a good concept because the author that made it is genius? Make up your mind.

I, for one, don't think the concept is stupid at all, and since I know very little about the execution, I'd rather wait and see the whole thing before saying anything. There was at least one game made on this same subject that very cleverly depicted much of the dread and atmosphere of the Vietnam war and it's attocities - on both sides of the fence. I'm talking about Amiga/Atari ST game "Lost Patrol".

spangler

It's true that maybe I'm rushing to judgement on this one. I haven't seen the game as a complete work so the possibility exists that this "Boom Boom Action" clip is totally out of context. Maybe. Probably not, though, considering the "grand" artistic vision that is oh so very prevalent in gaming, particularly in the console realm. I haven't played the title you mention so maybe there is a precedent for an insightful exploration into controversial themes in the world of console gaming. I do hope that is the case.

I would like to think that you'd agree, Marconelly, that all works dealing with similar themes are not created equal, though. Full Metal Jacket and Pauly Shore's In the Army Now both deal with life in the military, but the intent of each work is obviously very different. If the Pauly Shore flick billed itself as a gritty look into the realities of life in the military, I'd think that was pretty dumb and clearly false. The Kubrick film, though humorous, has a much more ambitious intent. Both films have their place and can be enjoyable, but I think one is more objectively valuable than the other. What I'm trying to say is that this game is Pauly Shore but it wants us to believe it's Stanley Kubrick and that irks me a bit.

In the larger scheme of things it's not something to get worked up over but I do think a game like this is indicitive of (at least a small portion) of what's wrong with the videogame industry and why it can be hard for the general public to consider games as anything more than schlocky, teenage boy fantasies.

Again, I could be totally off-base and I'll happily retract my statements if the finished product reveals itself to be more than silly and offensive "Boom Boom Action." The video as it stands today, though, really rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, read over my post previous to this one again (not the one you quoted from, the one after it). That probably sums up my rationale better than this unfocused attempt to provide stronger support.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What I'm trying to say is that this game is Pauly Shore but it wants us to believe it's Stanley Kubrick and that irks me a bit.
Well, that's quite possibly the case, and that would be the fault of this game and it's makers. However, I don't think it means the whole concept of depicting the war the way they are saying they want to, is flawed or stupid. Again, I thought Lost Patrol did it just the right way, and the same thing, and to even larger degree, can be said for the game 'Wings' (Amiga, Atari ST, and now on GBA as well) which presented a life of a flight squadron rookie during the WW1, with amazing style and emotional attachment.

but I do think a game like this is indicitive of (at least a small portion) of what's wrong with the videogame industry and why it can be hard for the general public to consider games as anything more than schlocky, teenage boy fantasies.
Yeah, there's some truth to that, that's for sure. It's very indicative when I'm fully aware that many games made today would make me feel embarrased playing them in front of others - and not necessarily for their content, but just for the incredible level of absence of touch with a present day world. It seems like if a game tries to do more than just standard gameplay, in 99% cases, everything about it will be sub-standard compared to other media - writing, voiceovers, storyline, you name it...

Top Bottom