• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian court orders blocking a handful of pirate sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Federal Court has ordered internet companies to block five copyright-infringing websites, including torrent website The Pirate Bay.

Internet companies now have 15 business days to implement the blocks.

It is the first time the site-blocking laws have been used successfully in Australia, and is a win for copyright holders who have long wanted to see the end of the website.

The Federal Court handed down its judgement this afternoon, also ordering that internet service providers (ISPs) block similar bittorrent websites Torrentz, TorrentHound, IsoHunt and streaming service SolarMovie.
While the two rights holders got what they wanted in a block, the Federal Court has not ordered what's known as a "rolling injunction".

That would have allowed new websites to be added without court approval or oversight.

http://abc.net.au/news/2016-12-15/federal-court-orders-pirate-bay-blocked-in-australia/8116912

Xe4

Banned
There are way more than 5 pirating websites. Not that it matters if they got them all anyhow, more will pop up. This is only delaying the inevitable.

Net Neutrality is officially dead in Australia is more like it

I'm sure it won't be abused.

Now-Comes-The-Part-Where-We-Throw-Our-Heads-Back-In-Laughter-In-George-Of-The-Jungle.gif

I don't pirate anything I can just buy from a physical or online store and even I know this won't achieve anything here. Too many mates who pirate almost every piece of media they consume from all over the net.

Dryk

It could be DNS blocking, blocking IP addresses, URL blocking or any other technical methods which are mutually agreed to by ISPs and rights holders.
Most of those methods wouldn't really help

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
While the two rights holders got what they wanted in a block, the Federal Court has not ordered what's known as a "rolling injunction".

That would have allowed new websites to be added without court approval or oversight.

Instead, Foxtel or Village Roadshow will have to file and serve a new affidavit outlining the new website's domain name or IP address.
Hmm.

ScribbleD

You can't kill piracy by shutting down a few websites. The thread title betrays how nasty this has the potential to be, though. It just won't be that bad for pirates and torrent providers.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Everyone in Australia pirates, from police officers to lawyers to politicians. GOT, TWD are both too addicting for most people.

No-one sane is going to introduce a rolling injunction short of the politicians pushing something through parliament.
It's not surprising the rampant piracy of those shows given the cost of Foxtel and an extra cost just to get HD content. They just don't seem to get it. We use Foxtel Go which from what I can tell is sub-SD. It also runs on Silverlight.

Shouldn't they start with blocking Google? If there is any website out there that facilitates piracy, it's the numero uno search engine.

Shiggy

Isn't everyone streaming movies and sites anyway? That's at least not illegal despite consumers not paying.

Colin.

It's been a thing over here in the UK for quite some time. Just a case of accessing these sites through proxy links, or making use of Tor or a VPN.

Zushin

Copyright holders are such dumb cunts in this country. Binding things like Game of Thrones exclusively to Foxtel that costs ~$50 per month after their price drop of course is going to make piracy rampart. I doubt this ruling will have much of an effect.

danm999

A good portion of Australians who pirate likely already have access to VPNs given the past few years they've been threatened with various three strike policies and speculative invoicing.

Might deter some neophytes but the people who want it will get it as long as a VPN costs less than Foxtel.

saunderez

A good portion of Australians who pirate likely already have access to VPNs given the past few years they've been threatened with various three strike policies and speculative invoicing.

Might deter some neophytes but the people who want it will get it as long as a VPN costs less than Foxtel.

Everyone I know uses Usenet. Torrents fell out of favour as soon as all of that stuff started happening.

saunderez

I know the Dallas Buyers Club case freaked a lot of people out even though it never went anywhere yeah.

Yeah that was definitely the impetus for at least a few people I know to stop using torrents. Ironically moves like this are doing little more than driving people to methods Village Roadshow/Foxtel et al. have no visibility of. It's easy to sit on a tracker and accumulate IP addresses, not so easy to see something being delivered over an SSL connection from a server in Europe.

mjontrix

Can't Trump the Pirates in Australia...

We've been born and bred for piracy since the days of dial-up. And now that NRL is boring, wallabies sucking at union, cricket is on FTA and v8 is zzz foxtel is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom