• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian court orders blocking a handful of pirate sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Remember when people used to justify piracy by pointing to increased regional prices and significant delays in releasing content (which were legitimate complaints)? And then the market actually responded to those complaints? But people still try and justify mass piracy?

jambo

Can't Trump the Pirates in Australia...

We've been born and bred for piracy since the days of dial-up. And now that NRL is boring, wallabies sucking at union, cricket is on FTA and v8 is zzz foxtel is done.

But Foxtel numbers are up...

Remember when people used to justify piracy by pointing to increased regional prices and significant delays in releasing content (which were legitimate complaints)? And then the market actually responded to those complaints? But people still try and justify mass piracy?

There's still a lot of content missing on Netflix, but it's so much better than it used to be.

Base Foxtel Play is now $10 as well and Amazon Video just launched in Australia.

danm999

I mean, the Australian Film Industry reckon it dropped by about 30% last year when Netflix finally became available.

The one place it's still surging is with Game of Thrones but that's still locked to Foxtel, and even that's reduced its price.

Zushin

GoT and Walking Dead are still Foxtel exclusive and things like the Lego Batman movie being released weeks after the rest of the world is still happening, so don't know how much of an adjustment was really made.

jambo

You can get HBO with Foxtel Play for $15 a month now.

And Foxtel have been talking about launching HD next year.

It might finally be happening.

saunderez

GoT and Walking Dead are still Foxtel exclusive and things like the Lego Batman movie being released weeks after the rest of the world is still happening, so don't know how much of an adjustment was really made.

Not to mention regional video game pricing being ridiculous as ever. A lot of the bullshit has stopped but there's still plenty of it going on.

bomma_man

I mean, the Australian Film Industry reckon it dropped by about 30% last year when Netflix finally became available.

The one place it's still surging is with Game of Thrones but that's still locked to Foxtel, and even that's reduced its price.

I've stopped completely since I got Netflix, Stan and Apple Music (w Soundcloud for mixes). Not worth the effort (or malware) anymore tbh.

Edit: game prices are fine these days given the dollar. We're not at parity anymore.

Pretty much. The people trying to fight this are just wasting their time.

I disagree.

While you will never stop the hardcore, that is also pretty irrelevant because those people are never going to pay anyway (or watch the actual shows/movies...)

Things like the Dallas Buyers Club case had a huge impact on the more casual people. These are the people who got shown how to download a torrent off a site by their nephew and use the same bookmark to get to it.

You cut off those sites and you cut off a heck of a lot of people. Some of those people will go legit and will not be back.

You don't have to end piracy, making it ever so slightly harder is a big enough win.

Zushin

Not to mention regional video game pricing being ridiculous as ever. A lot of the bullshit has stopped but there's still plenty of it going on.

Yep. I mostly buy from cdkeys these days for PC as the prices are pretty good. RE7 is like $48 AUD there, but ebgames is ridiculous. Im hoping with JB and Target putting downwards pressure on retail prices aswell as Amazon launching here next year that the bullshit prices will be pushed permanently down.

bomma_man

Yep. I mostly buy from cdkeys these days for PC as the prices are pretty good. RE7 is like $48 AUD there, but ebgames is ridiculous. Im hoping with JB and Target putting downwards pressure on retail prices aswell as Amazon launching here next year that the bullshit prices will be pushed permenantly down.

????

Most new games are $69 at retail (not EB) now, that's US$51, less than what they pay.

saunderez

Yep. I mostly buy from cdkeys these days for PC as the prices are pretty good. RE7 is like $48 AUD there, but ebgames is ridiculous. Im hoping with JB and Target putting downwards pressure on retail prices aswell as Amazon launching here next year that the bullshit prices will be pushed permanently down.

I too buy keys online and the odd physical release from OzGameShop (which is somewhere in Ireland IIRC). It pays to shop around online if you're an Australian gamer. $80USD titles on Steam aren't even in consideration.

jambo

Really?

Steam, PSN and XBL are still pretty high, although there are great sales on all platforms, but especially Steam.

For retail it's actually pretty great. JB, EB, BigW and Target have all had crazy low prices.

A lot of big games like Fallout 4 and DOOM launched at $69, or even $59. Even Forza Horizon 3 was only $79. These are $60 USD video games, which comes out at around $80 AUD, which already includes tax, unlike US pricing!

munchie64

Netflix, Stan and Anime Lab are pretty great, fortunately. Hopefully Amazon video can get some foothold to improve too.

Presto sucks though, which is pretty good since Foxtel was behind it and I'd feel sick giving them money lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It seems to me more like some people pointed to regional prices and delays, some of the market responded somewhat to these complaints, and then some people who may or may not be the same number of people or the same people pointed to other things.

Because the alternative theory is that people are not rational actors motivated by the incentives they face in life, they're just Snidely Whiplash villains born to be evil and they cackle as they feed babies to drop bears and pirate tv shows.

jambo

Presto sucks though, which is pretty good since Foxtel was behind it and I'd feel sick giving them money lol

Presto is closing down. Foxtel have dropped Foxtel Play to $10 for base packs and $15 for HBO base packs.

Was always going to happen eventually.

saunderez

Really?

Steam, PSN and XBL are still pretty high, although there are great sales on all platforms, but especially Steam.

For retail it's actually pretty great. JB, EB, BigW and Target have all had crazy low prices.

A lot of big games like Fallout 4 and DOOM launched at $69, or even $59. Even Forza Horizon 3 was only $79. These are $60 USD video games, which comes out at around $80 AUD, which already includes tax, unlike US pricing!

Oh there's great sales, no doubt about that. And some publishers are doing the right thing. Trust me I buy a ridiculous amount of games (my Steam library is proof of that). But every time I see a $80USD game on Steam I'm reminded where I live. $60USD stings enough given the exchange rate. $80USD is taking the piss.

MUnited83

For you.

Both of those things still exist.

I disagree.

While you will never stop the hardcore, that is also pretty irrelevant because those people are never going to pay anyway (or watch the actual shows/movies...)

Things like the Dallas Buyers Club case had a huge impact on the more casual people. These are the people who got shown how to download a torrent off a site by their nephew and use the same bookmark to get to it.

You cut off those sites and you cut off a heck of a lot of people. Some of those people will go legit and will not be back.

You don't have to end piracy, making it ever so slightly harder is a big enough win.
Hardcore pirates actually buy more media than anyone else.

jambo

Oh there's great sales, no doubt about that. And some publishers are doing the right thing. Trust me I buy a ridiculous amount of games (my Steam library is proof of that). But every time I see a $80USD game on Steam I'm reminded where I live. $60USD stings enough given the exchange rate. $80USD is taking the piss.

Steam definitely sucks for Aussie pricing. Still strange to me that they introduced NZD support, but not AUD support.

Kvik

Eh, it's business as usual for the initiated.

Consider this: one could spend $100/year for a Netflix sub. Or probably up to $600/year if you're a Foxtel subscriber.

On the other hand, VPN subscription roughly cost $100/year. If you're a member of BTN or HDBits, or WCD (RIP), you could have infinitely more content and media at a mere fraction of the cost.

Until you have one streaming service which provides all the content you need at a low cost, there will be no incentives against torrenting your TV shows and what nots. Especially in our country Australia, where internet speed is abysmal.

saunderez

Steam definitely sucks for Aussie pricing. Still strange to me that they introduced NZD support, but not AUD support.

At the time I assumed it was because their lawsuit against the ACCC was ongoing and they wanted to continue with their "we're not trading in Australia" defense. They lost that though so now I have no idea.....ducking GST maybe?

2ugshzp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom