• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for the Australian remake of The Office

Cyberpunkd

That looks absolutely fucking awful. Absolutely no charm about it.
I just watched a few episodes of the OG Office…

I Agree Barack Obama GIF by The Democrats

I don’t understand for whom this is for.

MacReady13

Nothing will ever come close to the original version of The Office. It was pure perfection. Could never get into the USA version for as good as I heard it was, it wasn't Gervais and Merchant. And Gervais was genius in The Office.

This though looks awful. As someone said in this thread, this must be what the "modern audience" wants, whoever they may be...

bitbydeath

Surprise, surprise, they use a fake Australian accent again, or maybe it’s a bogan accent. 🤔

Darrel on the Thor video above is how people actually talk.

Last edited:

Rran

I'm trying to not judge it too harshly yet since people tore apart the early episodes of US Office to shreds and that ended up being one of my favorite shows.

But gender-swapping Michael (David) and Dwight (Garreth) does feel really lazy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I love the original, but you're right. The US version is better in my opinion. About one of the only UK shows they've been able to do that with in my opinion.

ricky gervais win GIF by Fox TV

I liked both for different reasons but the UK could hit the awkward factor harder.

Australia can do comedy. But this isn’t it.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I liked both for different reasons but the UK could hit the awkward factor harder.
I think US citizens prefer their version of the Office because they have deference for their directors, managers, etc.
They don't like seeing someone in a dominant position being so cringe and useless, they want them caring, goofy but still able to do their job better than the others, etc... They idealize their bosses when in reality there's a lot of David Brents in desk jobs but i've never seen any Michael Scott.

finalflame

Holy shit, this is so fucking bad.
I think US citizens prefer their version of the Office because they have deference for their directors, managers, etc.
They don't like seeing someone in a dominant position being so cringe and useless, they want them caring, goofy but still able to do their job better than the others, etc... They idealize their bosses when in reality there's a lot of David Brents in desk jobs but i've never seen any Michael Scott.
It's really not that deep -- the American one was just funny, and the UK one just wasn't. True for a lot of British "humor".

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

That's certainly a take on American workers and how we see our bosses.

Most of these guys couldn't give two pieces of dung about our well being ... Any "caring" they do is performative so we will be loyal. Meanwhile, we're being worked to death with mandatory overtime... I don't know how it is in office settings (my old OLD job didn't rely on office settings) but in a factory, they say one thing and do another.

FunkMiller

I apologise on behalf of the entire population of Australia.

This will suck because Aussies don't really do the comedy of embarrassment all that well. It's a very British thing.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
It's really not that deep -- the American one was just funny, and the UK one just wasn't. True for a lot of British "humor".
Might be... or maybe you're trying to find a way to rationalize you unconscious subservient bias ?
Also british humor is harder to get, less evident. You need a firm grasp on reality to enjoy absurdist humor. Americans aren't known for that either.
Ricky Gervais pissed off so much powerful people he would not be able to work if not for his indeniable talent.
That's certainly a take on American workers and how we see our bosses.

Most of these guys couldn't give two pieces of dung about our well being ... Any "caring" they do is performative so we will be loyal. Meanwhile, we're being worked to death with mandatory overtime... I don't know how it is in office settings (my old OLD job didn't rely on office settings) but in a factory, they say one thing and do another.
My take was that american workers overly respect their bosses for supposedly having caring qualities and being better than themselves (the same way europeans respect their kings and queens because god supposedly said they were better than themselves divine right moarchy and all) even though their bosses are more akin toDavid Brent than Michael Scott though.

finalflame

Might be... or maybe you're trying to find a way to rationalize you unconscious subservient bias ?
Also british humor is harder to get, less evident. You need a firm grasp on reality to enjoy absurdist humor. Americans aren't known for that either.
Ricky Gervais pissed off so much powerful people he would not be able to work if not for his indeniable talent.

My take was that american workers overly respect their bosses for supposedly having caring qualities and being better than themselves (the same way europeans respect their kings and queens because god supposedly said they were better than themselves divine right moarchy and all) even though their bosses are more akin toDavid Brent than Michael Scott though.

DKehoe

I say this as someone who likes a bunch of his stuff, if Gervais really pissed powerful people off that much then he wouldn't have been asked to host the Golden Globes multiple times.

Last edited:
UK office was edgy/cringe for most of the time which got annoying at some point.
US office also started that way but then it got progressively smarter/funnier so much that it became a cult classic which the UK one could never reach no matter what the minority haters here say and Im neither american nor british.

Last edited:

DKehoe

UK office was edgy/cringe for most of the time which got annoying at some point.
US office also started that way but then it got progressively smarter/funnier so much that it became a cult classic which the UK one could never reach no matter what the minority haters here say and Im neither american nor british.
Cult classic? Wasn't the US version one of the most popular shows on TV?

GymWolf

Gold Member
I stopped watching the us version after 2 season i think.

The boss is a great actor but his characters was way too cringey, and i fucking hated jim...

Top Bottom