• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for the Australian remake of The Office

ReBurn

Gold Member
kofXfYe.jpeg

GymWolf

Gold Member
It comes out as a prick even if dwight sometimes deserve it, my memory is not fresh but this is what i remember.

And let's not forget that even if he was trying his best to be a man of honor, he was still clearly flirting with a woman engaged with another man.

I don't know maybe he get better later but i wasn't particularly in awe with his character.

The meatcanyon cartoon about the office kinda exagerate what i think about him but there is some truth in it.

HoodWinked

Looking at the other versions of the show just reminds me of just how immaculate the casting for the original US Office was.

Toots

Gold Member
I say this as someone who likes a bunch of his stuff, if Gervais really pissed powerful people off that much then he wouldn't have been asked to host the Golden Globes multiple times.
I know he hosted several but i always thought he was banned after that one time he went nuclear on hollywood performative hypocrisy ? (the "get your award and piss off we don't want to hear about your political views" tirade)
I get you tho and he will never attack those really in power anyway, hollywood washed up stars and producers aren't really the problem but still the fact Gervais could, for exemple, write in a treacherous and cunty gay BBC producer like he did in the extras and still sell it to the treacherous and cunty irl BBC producers (granted it was after the planetary success of the office) shows he has writing talent.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I know he hosted several but i always thought he was banned after that one time he went nuclear on hollywood performative hypocrisy ? (the "get your award and piss off we don't want to hear about your political views" tirade)
I get you tho and he will never attack those really in power anyway, hollywood washed up stars and producers aren't really the problem but still the fact Gervais could, for exemple, write in an treacherous BBC producer like he did in the extras and still sell it to the awfully cunty BBC producers (granted it was after the planetary success of the office) shows he has writing talent.
What made you think he was banned? I maybe missed something that came out after it but it wasn't that different than stuff he has said before and then been invited back to do more. If he had done one, gone out in a blaze of glory and never been allowed near an awards show stage again then that would be one thing. But they keep asking him back every few years so either there's not some industry cabal or if there is they aren't bothered by what he's saying.

With the stuff Gervais does it gets to feel a little edgy, people get to have a kick out of seeing someone stick it to the establishment but ultimately it is being done with their approval. It reminds me of something Chris Morris said in an interview a bit ago "The problem is that I think we've got used to a kind of satire which essentially placates the cause. You do a nice dissection of the way things are in the orthodox elite and lo and behold you get slapped on the back by the orthodox elite who say 'jolly good can you do us another one.'"

Extras season 2 is really interesting because it's basically Gervais and Merchant exploring the idea of what if they'd let producers fuck The Office up with their shitty ideas.

StueyDuck

is this where people realise the office was never really all that funny.

sure, it had it's chuckles here and there but it was never really a great comedy. More just the show that was more watchable than shite like big bang theory and 2 and a half men.

Toots

Gold Member
What made you think he was banned? I maybe missed something that came out after it but it wasn't that different than stuff he has said before and then been invited back to do more. If he had done one, gone out in a blaze of glory and never been allowed near an awards show stage again then that would be one thing. But they keep asking him back every few years so either there's not some industry cabal or if there is they aren't bothered by what he's saying.

With the stuff Gervais does it gets to feel a little edgy, people get to have a kick out of seeing someone stick it to the establishment but ultimately it is being done with their approval. It reminds me of something Chris Morris said in an interview a bit ago "The problem is that I think we've got used to a kind of satire which essentially placates the cause. You do a nice dissection of the way things are in the orthodox elite and lo and behold you get slapped on the back by the orthodox elite who say 'jolly good can you do us another one.'"

Extras season 2 is really interesting because it's basically Gervais and Merchant exploring the idea of what if they'd let producers fuck The Office up with their shitty ideas.
I don't really know but i remember after the backlash when he told celebs not to talk politics during their acceptance speech, i read somewhere or another he was not welcome anymore, not that he cared...

I agree the capitalist monster best weapon is its capacity to digest everything (even harsh critics) and make it into something useful for capitalism (mostly something you can sell... Che guevara shirts being the best exemple).

Extras is basically the Ricky Gervais story about when he wrote the office and tried to sell it to studios (season 1) and after selling it to BBC and watching it become far from what he originally envisionned (season 2). But once again, not every screenwriter would manage to sell a character like the bbc producer to the bbc producers, basically telling them "i wrote a shitty character who is supposed to portray you and you wont say anything about it" is not something someone untalented could do !

Top Bottom