• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

YUGayW0.jpg

From January 19th to February 1st

Draws : MEN / WOMEN / DOUBLES M/W
Schedule of play
World rankings : ATP / WTA
Champions of the past : M / W
For any info

Great matches from recent history :

Roddick-El Aynaoui (QF, 2003) - Watch highlights
Federer-Safin (SF, 2006) - Watch highlights
Nadal-Verdasco (SF, 2009) - Watch highlights
Djokovic-Nadal (F, 2012) - Watch highlights
Djokovic-Wawrinka (R4, 2013) - Watch highlights

Who's gonna win ?

The old guard
HKQywSX.jpg

The "big four" is no more. In 2014, Wawrinka and Cilic, but also Tsonga and Nishikori reminded everybody that others can win too. Still, Djokovic is the best player in the world. Federer seems to be young again. Nadal can win, always, even if he loses against a guy outside of the top 200 the week before. Murray... Recently defeated Nadal ? So yeah, don't forget about them, even if they're not as loud as before (that is a joke, to go with the image of them screaming. Thank you).

The challengers

xTtDWux.jpg

Wawrinka, Monfils, Raonic, Kyrgios, Nishikori, Ferrer, Dimitrov... Names that could be in the news soon. Just you wait ! Oh, and Del Potro is back ! And Söderling too ! No, that was a joke.

Serena and the girls
JtcToFX.jpg

Serena Williams always seems to be the woman to beat. But she gets beaten. Quite often in slams, even. So it's up to Sharapova, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Cibulkova, Radwanska, Halep, Ivanovic, Bouchard, Azarenka and the others to go and get the cup, now that Li Na has put an end to her career (and her cool victory speeches)

I'm sure you are tired of reading, so...Let's watch some tennis !!!

MIMIC

Banned
I'm glad Tomic fell off the face of the Earth. Visually, his game is absolutely insufferable.

As for Serena, she's obviously the massive favorite (again), but will probably lose again. She just can't peak here anymore for some reason.

I'm glad Tomic fell off the face of the Earth. Visually, his game is absolutely insufferable.

As for Serena, she's obviously the massive favorite (again), but will probably lose again. She just can't peak here anymore for some reason.

yeah this is classic Tomic
yoJLdV.gif

And Serena did peak at the US Open last year. She didn't drop a set, and the closest set she had in route to the title was 6-3

Federer made quick work of Baby Fed and beat Raonic. I wonder how he'd fare against Nadal, Djokovic, or Murray.

Going to be interesting to watch.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fed has a kind of tough draw. He could have to beat Murray and then the other members of the Big 3 to win the title potentially. Has some potential opponents in his quarter that could be bothersome as well, like Chardy in round 3, as all 3 of their matches last year went 3 sets and Chardy won one of them (on clay though). Then potentially Robredo or Karlovic after that, the former who has had a bit of a resurgence lately, and the latter is always nasty just because of his serve.

Ideally he'll make the semis since I think he's gotten at least that far since 2004, but you never know. A little luck wouldn't hurt :p

I think Fed looks the best out of the big 4 at this time. Nadal is still trying to find his groove coming back from an injury, Djokovic lost to Dr. Ivo a couple weeks ago, and Murray played well at Hopman cup, but wasn't really tested

KeRaSh

What? Li Na retired? I knew she was clos to it and thought about it but this is actually a bummer. :(

Anyways... Pretty hyped for this. hopefully we see some great matches.

Faith

Tough draw for Djokovic.

I'm looking forward to the quarterfinals. Djokovic Del Potro should be fun to watch.

septicore

Nick Kyrgios' year at the Australian Open !

But in all seriousness, I'm hoping somebody out of the big four wins it. Maybe the defending champion Wawrinka will do it again.

Would love to see an Australian win, then again, the Asian Football Cup is on, and no one is going to give a shit about the Tennis if Australia keep progressing.

In fact I think the Final of the AFC clashes with the womens final.

Then again, I can never have enough sport.

Just hope an Aussie wins.

My predictions.

Someone highly ranked knocked out early, rumours about secret tennis lovers, Serena Williams finally admits to being a tranny, and everyone pisses and moans about Melbourne being hot as fuck for the 100th year in a row, like something is going to change.

FUCK NOW IM EXCITED BRING IT ON!

OH RIGHT TENNIS. I forgot I still liked this sport. Gather around Djokovic fans, the 3 of us will do amazing things together.

(I'm DarthWufei)

I'm rooting for Federer since he's the only guy I like. The others just screams too hard lol

I am curious how Nishikori will do though.

Diamond

OH RIGHT TENNIS. I forgot I still liked this sport. Gather around Djokovic fans, the 3 of us will do amazing things together.

(I'm DarthWufei)

I recognized you (the dangers of #realpicjanuary) !!!

If Novak happens to encounter Nadal in the final (would be surprised if Rafa makes it but who knows), probably 90% of the thread will be with you.

Deadman

This is last slam available for a woman to win before Laura Robson's 10 year reign begins.

Fed to get slam 18, believe.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
unbanned just in time for the aussie, yay. although it was a rather mellow christmas when i couldn't spend hours every day on neogaf raging about djokovic using his donkey cheese billions to fix the draws. disgusting, by the way.

Peru

I guess my hope for this AO for MS is that it's not as catastrophically bad as it has been the last few years.

sam777

Hard to follow this tournament from the U.K, I will either be asleep or at work when matches are on.
Still rooting for my man Nadal. Hopefully he will regain his form.

LuuKyK

Bring on the heat Australia!

Cant wait. As always, will be rooting for ma boys Novak and Roger and ma girls Maria and Genie.

Good luck to them!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Tough draw for Djokovic.

I'm looking forward to the quarterfinals. Djokovic Del Potro should be fun to watch.

How so? And I'd be pretty impressed and surprised if Delpo made it that far :/

Someone highly ranked knocked out early, rumours about secret tennis lovers, Serena Williams finally admits to being a tranny, and everyone pisses and moans about Melbourne being hot as fuck for the 100th year in a row, like something is going to change.

This isn't appropriate at all.

unbanned just in time for the aussie, yay. although it was a rather mellow christmas when i couldn't spend hours every day on neogaf raging about djokovic using his donkey cheese billions to fix the draws. disgusting, by the way.

lol, welcome back.

MIMIC

Banned
They're showing last year's women's final on Tennis Channel.

Li Na retiring was horrible for the sport. She was so good.

MIMIC

Banned
Was she the only one able to challenge Serena?

Well, she could CHALLENGE Serena, but IIRC, she never won that often.

(fake edit: yeah, I checked, and Serena was 11-2).

Serena's toughest opponents have all retired. I don't watch a lot of WTA, but I know Henin was usually pretty tough for her.

Well, she could CHALLENGE Serena, but IIRC, she never won that often.

(fake edit: yeah, I checked, and Serena was 11-2).

Serena's toughest opponents have all retired. I don't watch a lot of WTA, but I know Henin was usually pretty tough for her.

Looks likely that the Henin/Clijsters era saw the last of the women's greats whose games weren't centred around power serves/groundstrokes. As much as I cheer on Radwanska, she'd need to be hugely lucky to win a Slam while playing the best tennis of her life. And when it comes to power, Serena has the last word.

LuuKyK

Serena's toughest opponent is Alize Cornet tbh. Lol

She beat her 3 times last year, including at Wimbledon. Simply the GOAT at beating her.

When will Azarenka? When will Maria? When will anyone?

Edit: btw, the bottom part of both draws will play on monday. That means Fed, Nadal, Murray, Sharapova and Genie play tomorrow.

Watch out for Heather Watson on the womens draw. She beat 3 American players this week in route to her championship at Hobart. She took out so many Americans that In another time period she could have been a great asset for the Brits in the American Revolution. :p

I also think its time for the Brits to fully embrace Miss Watson as their flagship female player. I know the media desperately wanted the more extroverted cute white girl to lead the charge, but Watson has been outplaying Robson even before her injury. Robson may come around eventually, but its time for the British media to give Watson the lions share of coverage among the female british tennis players. She has earned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom