• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vomiaouaf

I'm starting to hate how Nadal gets cakewalk draws in pretty much every damn slam. Then gets a semi against his favorite top player (Fed) and can cruise to finals whether or not he's in form.

Really rooting for new faces to punch through this year, but realistically the trophy goes to Djokovic or Nadal once again. Fed loses to Nadal in semis. Murray loses to Fed in quarters. Wawa loses in the first week.

Diamond

I'm starting to hate how Nadal gets cakewalk draws in pretty much every damn slam. Then gets a semi against his favorite top player (Fed) and can cruise to finals whether or not he's in form.

Don't think it's exactly a cakewalk, he could encounter the mighty Tomic !!! :D
The rule is the same for every player. Last US Open our favourite Federer detractors (they know who they are ;) ) were saying his draw was a joke. In fact he was on the side of Monfils and Cilic, two of the best players of the tournament (nobody expected them to be, but still). He lost. Draws are random. Sometimes they're easy, sometimes they're hard, but generally speaking, my stance is that if you think a draw is too easy, maybe that's because the guy who has an easy draw is just better than the others.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Picks from tennis.com and ESPN:

Tennis.com:

Men's Champion: Djokovic x3

Women's Champion: 1 each for Kvitova, Halep, and Sharapova.

ESPN:

LGnxXy6.png

Edit:

Sports Illustrated:

Men's champion: Djokovic x4
Women's champion: Sharapova x2, Serena, Wozniacki

Thetinman

my picks for fun

Dark Horses

Men's
Ernests Gulbis I think he could do it and that forehand

Women's
Venus Williams she would need some help and luck but to me she still got it

Should win
Tomas Berdych i think he's a guy who has been happy with his place and rank but given last years and a new coach maybe he could get one.

Caroline Wozniacki last year she looked really good this is going to be her year to make her move.

Will Win
Roger Federer if he makes it in to week two strong there will be no stopping him

Serena Williams if shes playing she my pick all day.

Disappointment
Murray just don't like him

Milos Raonic don't like his game he'll make a run but will crash and burn when it's all said and done.

Kei Nishikori wont make it out of the first week

Bouchard she doesn't have it not yet and may never have it.

Looking forward to it, the Australian Open (and loosely the tennis circuit during the Australian summer) is the main reason why I schedule a month off in January. Love this time of year.

Novak is the clear favourite, but I would love to see some of the young guns do something big. And I'm not talking about the interim young guys (raonic, dimitrov etc) but the true next generation of players ( kyrgios, coric etc)

Yah I can actually watch some tennis at a decent hour this tournament! Hopefully Krygios' back issue doesn't play a factor for him.

A good number of Aussie fellas and ladies in the draw too.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nishikori has a pretty tough draw, but I can see it working out for him if his stamina holds

oti

Banned
Dustin Brown gonna throw Baby Federer out of the Happy Slam I can feel it!

Love Dimitrov. But Brown is such an entertaining player.

Rising star update:

Bencic is bounced in the first round. Konjuh is down a set. The rising star on the mens tour, Coric, is tied a 1 set a piece with Chardy.

Konjuh is out.

Coric played like Murray to get broken in the second set. Another era delayed as Bencic got humbled......

At this point, I'm still not convinced Bencic is the future. I know she made the QF of the US-Open, but so did Melanie Oudin. They have identical accomplishments at this time

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Come on Rafa.

I'm more a Djokovic guy but there's no way Joker is catching Federer. Nadal is a legit chance to pass Federer so GO GO GO RAFA!

LuuKyK

Lol Ana.

What a meltdown out of nowhere. I thought she had it after that first set. She is such a mental midget.

Niraj

Lisicki getting crushed in this last set

Edit: Got a break back, but still down 5-2

Edit2: Lisicki's out.

SSPssp

Nah. She tried to do that after reaching #1. Various people offering coaching help, adding new aspects to her game, attempts at being something she wasn't. Failed miserably, sank like a stone. Recently she's realized it, gone back to working on what she's done well and has been a constant threat from late last season. Whether what she's got is enough to win a slam, I don't know, but it was obvious she couldn't fake it and has to focus on her core qualities.

Well, that's too bad, I guess she'll have to be really lucky to win a slam then.

Niraj

Great point in the Nadal-Youzhny match. Too bad Youzhny didn't get that one though.

I think McEnroe said that he thought Youzhny had a two handed backhand. Hasn't Youzhny been on the tour for 15 years and been a top ten player before though?

Niraj

He said that to take pressure off himself.

I was being sarcastic. One would hope I would be aware by now that he says that in essentially every tourney.

Kerber is really an enigma. Sometimes she's amazing (like that Fed Cup match against Kvitova) and other times you get results like this. Going from bageling to getting breadsticked. Baffling.

I guess Robredo must have gotten injured or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom