• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch out for Heather Watson on the womens draw. She beat 3 American players this week in route to her championship at Hobart. She took out so many Americans that In another time period she could have been a great asset for the Brits in the American Revolution. :p

I also think its time for the Brits to fully embrace Miss Watson as their flagship female player. I know the media desperately wanted the more extroverted cute white girl to lead the charge, but Watson has been outplaying Robson even before her injury. Robson may come around eventually, but its time for the British media to give Watson the lions share of coverage among the female british tennis players. She has earned it.

Agreed. Always felt the coverage was disproportionately in favour of Robson when their achievements were comparable, and now Watson has clearly been more successful.

Vaddon

Watch out for Heather Watson on the womens draw. She beat 3 American players this week in route to her championship at Hobart. She took out so many Americans that In another time period she could have been a great asset for the Brits in the American Revolution. :p

I also think its time for the Brits to fully embrace Miss Watson as their flagship female player. I know the media desperately wanted the more extroverted cute white girl to lead the charge, but Watson has been outplaying Robson even before her injury. Robson may come around eventually, but its time for the British media to give Watson the lions share of coverage among the female british tennis players. She has earned it.

I agree, it was a shame to see her snubbed when Robson emerged. I don't think Robson has particularly proven herself yet (although the injuries have prevented that) whereas Watson consistently puts in the effort. It'd be great for the public and the media to really get behind her, even when Robson eventually returns.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Haven't followed much tennis since year end tourney where Novak beat Feds in a walk over.

How has Rafa looked recently btw?

Hasn't really played much. He lost his first match this year to Michael Berrer in 3 sets after winning the first 6-1. He did win the doubles in that same tournament for what it's worth.

ghstwrld

Day 1
Australian Open ‏@AustralianOpen 5m5 minutes ago

#ausopen schedule Monday:
RLA Day:
Halep v Knapp
Ivanovic v qualifier
Nadal v Youzhny

RLA night
Federer vs Lu
Satan v qualifier

MCA Day:
Gajdosova v Dulgheru
Murray v Bhambri
Kerber v Begu

MCA Night:
Douchard v Friedsam
Kyrgios v Delbonis

John Dunbar

correct about everything
there's a rumour going on on twitter that djokovic cancelled his sunday practice and has called a press conference. if true, it's hard to see how it could be good news.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
there's a rumour going on on twitter that djokovic cancelled his sunday practice and has called a press conference. if true, it's hard to see how it could be good news.
He definitely has some sort of stress, wonder what it is

LuuKyK

Day 1
Australian Open ‏@AustralianOpen 5m5 minutes ago

#ausopen schedule Monday:
RLA Day:
Halep v Knapp
Ivanovic v qualifier
Nadal v Youzhny

RLA night
Federer vs Lu
Satan v qualifier

MCA Day:
Gajdosova v Dulgheru
Murray v Bhambri
Kerber v Begu

MCA Night:
Douchard v Friedsam
Kyrgios v Delbonis

So you are one of THOSE people huh.

Interesting.

Oh no, hopefully nothing serious. :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Fair few journalists sayng ominous news coming from the Djokovic camp. This doesn't sound good in the slightest.

Some guy on twitter saying a practice court has been booked for Djokovic after the presser.

It's twitter though so take it with a grain of salt.

ghstwrld

So you are one of THOSE people huh.

Interesting.

I copied and pasted from TF; didn't even notice the mess tbh

laugh.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently he has sustained a non-serious injury in training and the presser is just to update the press. Probably not pulling out if he has a subsequent practice session booked, but also probably not good news for the level of his play.

Apparently he has sustained a non-serious injury in training and the presser is just to update the press. Probably not pulling out if he has a subsequent practice session booked, but also probably not good news for the level of his play.
No, he is completely fine. Somebody just confused him with Borna Coric and thought something was wrong. DelPo is the only one who is a threat not to play, had to end his practice session yesterday.........

Certinty

Despite the draw I'm going to back Wozniacki to get her maiden slam here, think the time has come for her to really shine.

As for the men I can't look past Novak especially with this draw, if anyone does push him I reckon it will be Isner in R4 and/or Nishikori in the semis.

LuuKyK

Despite the draw I'm going to back Wozniacki to get her maiden slam here, think the time has come for her to really shine.

As for the men I can't look past Novak especially with this draw, if anyone does push him I reckon it will be Isner in R4 and/or Nishikori in the semis.

I actually like Caro, but lets be honest, her and her eternal pushing are never winning a slam. She is consistent and can beat top players on erratic days, but she will never be able to carry this form and luck throughout two entire weeks.

Peru

Shame Petko struggled with injuries and stuff, not sure if she's stable at the moment.

Woz vs Serena should be interesting match if Woz keeps getting better.

Humidex

Ok...Genie? Unlikely to repeat her run to the semi's versus last year. QF loss to Maria.

Pospisil? Out in first round.

Raonic? Semi's.

And Watson? 3rd round.

MIMIC

Banned
So I'm watching this "Fast4 Tennis" garbage on Tennis Channel (lol), and Verdasco is up 4-2 on Nadal.

I thought the first to 4 games wins.

EDIT: lol, never mind. They were in the 1st game of the 2nd set (the graphic was just showing the score of the 1st set). Verdasco indeed won 4-2

Uzzy

Not looking forward to seeing Lisicki crash out to some complete unknown again. At least Watson's doing well, so that's promising.

Humidex

So I'm watching this "Fast4 Tennis" garbage on Tennis Channel (lol), and Verdasco is up 4-2 on Nadal.

EDIT: lol, never mind. They were in the 1st game of the 2nd set (the graphic was just showing the score of the 1st set). Verdasco indeed won 4-2

I just read up on Fast4.

What a fantastically silly concept...

LuuKyK

It really is extremely dumb.

SSPssp

I actually like Caro, but lets be honest, her and her eternal pushing are never winning a slam. She is consistent and can beat top players on erratic days, but she will never be able to carry this form and luck throughout two entire weeks.

I agree, she needs to add more aggression to her game. If she wants to win a slam, she has to take risks, and attack opponent's weaknesses. I think she can win if she starts going for shots more.

Its probably too late to change her game right now though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
DelPotro just scheduled an impromptu press conference, to start in 20 minutes. Hope the big guy is okay, but I think the Year of Del Potro might be coming to a rather premature end.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Del Potro has withdrawn from the Australian Open. He'll be replaced by a lucky loser.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I think that's the end of Del Potro's career. He spent so long out that if the wrist still broke down after 3 matches, you just get the feeling it's never going to heal. The only real option left is switching to a one-handed backhand and redesigning his game around that, but that's such a big change at this point in his career I doubt it'd have good results. I think we're just going to have to accept that 2009 was fucking awesome and he had a good run. At least he got his slam; more than poor Soderling who definitely deserved one.

MIMIC

Banned
Him withdrawing wasn't surprising at all. When I heard that he had entered a tournament, I laughed because I knew that he was not healthy.

To be honest, I think that's the end of Del Potro's career. He spent so long out that if the wrist still broke down after 3 matches, you just get the feeling it's never going to heal. The only real option left is switching to a one-handed backhand and redesigning his game around that, but that's such a big change at this point in his career I doubt it'd have good results. I think we're just going to have to accept that 2009 was fucking awesome and he had a good run. At least he got his slam; more than poor Soderling who definitely deserved one.

He came back before his wrist fully healed. Dumb on his part.

article from 2 weeks ago

Juan Martin del Potro is eager to make his long-awaited return to the ATP World Tour at the Apia international Sydney despite admitting that he still feels some pain in his left wrist. Facing the media at a pre-tournament press conference Sunday, the defending champion said that he still experienced pain at times but has been reassured that he won’t damage his wrist by returning to tournament play.

“[The wrist] hurts a little bit. It bothers me sometimes when I hit backhands but I am trying to hit harder because I need to hit harder if I want to play this tournament. Sometimes the pain is high, sometimes it is low," del Potro said.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
If you watched him in Auckland, you could tell he wouldn't have gone too far anyway. It's a smart decision.

Peru

I agree, she needs to add more aggression to her game. If she wants to win a slam, she has to take risks, and attack opponent's weaknesses. I think she can win if she starts going for shots more.

Its probably too late to change her game right now though.

Nah. She tried to do that after reaching #1. Various people offering coaching help, adding new aspects to her game, attempts at being something she wasn't. Failed miserably, sank like a stone. Recently she's realized it, gone back to working on what she's done well and has been a constant threat from late last season. Whether what she's got is enough to win a slam, I don't know, but it was obvious she couldn't fake it and has to focus on her core qualities.

It's depressing isn't it? Love his game and loved how he came back at Federer in the 2009 US Open final, when it would have been easier to fold. Ever since then, he's been shit out of luck and has only briefly, very, very briefly shown glimpses of that 2009 level. I don't think Soderling quite deserved a slam, because he just never showed up in those two finals. It's one thing to get there, it's another to win it. It's why Del Potro impressed me so much, because he was getting hammered in that final, until he turned it around.

My expectations are for Djokovic to cruise to the final, Murray to surprise me and go deep in the draw, possibly even win it and for Nadal to lose before the first week is up. I don't think he's going to do anything like the miraculous comeback he did in 2013. This is the beginning of the end for him as a legitimate threat at slams outside of the French.

Murray has something to prove again. The weight of winning Wimbledon subconsciously removed something intangible from his game; the desire has been gone ever since that day. He's probably known it now for awhile too, and it's why I think his preparation this time around stands him in good stead for 2015. A lot of people just don't fancy him to add to his two slams. If that doesn't light a fire underneath you, I don't know what will. Most important season of his career, I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom