• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does a guy with the best form in the last 3 or 4 months lose in the 3rd round of a GS?

DgBfu7A.gif

How does a guy with the best form in the last 3 or 4 months lose in the 3rd round of a GS?

Bad day combined with facing someone who was playing well enough to take him out. Seppi's played Roger close in Australia before. In 2009 he lost 6-1 7-6 7-5. The result is still surprising though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Not like he didn't have chances. Was up a minibreak in the first tiebreak, fucked that up. Was up a minibreak three times in the fourth set tiebreak and can't close out. Just very poor all around. Groundstokes were weak, his serve was abysmal when it mattered, but even more than that, it really just seemed like he had no clue where the ball was going 90% of the time. I think he won about 60% of his net points, but I think he relied on that way too much and paid the price for it. 60% isn't a bad number, but when you're rushing like 50+ times, the other dude is going to catch on. But I think it was really poor decision making in general on the points that mattered.

Oh well, just have to hope the winner is somebody I don't hate. Credits to Seppi too for definitely stepping up. That's one of the better matches I've seen him play.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
lol, I was asleep for this one. What a great thing to wake up to!

Woke up to that scoreline. Baffled.

Federer played really bad.

I mean, his serves were atrocious. His attempts at the net were bad. Groundstrokes not at usual par.

Seppi played alright but let's not kid ourselves. This is a Federer loss, not a Seppi win.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You say that but I just watched the last set tiebreak now and Seppi was clutch as fuck on those last two points. Little of column a, little of column b, I feel.

Woke up in time to watch Fed get knocked out. At least Murray got through.

Load up the BBC website to see the results. Holy shit! Federer is out! Where is my man, Murray? Through. Good. Back to sleep. Looking forward to a Murray vs. Dimitriov match-up; those comments Dimitriov made about Murray during the warm-up in their Wimbledon QF will make this one a little more tasty.

Still, Federer, though. I don't want him to retire, but he's now vulnerable to these guys who just aren't fit to lace his boots. If Nadal goes out today as well, I'll be well and truly miserable for the rest of the day.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Tomic's FH. Seriously. WTF is that?

Such a fucking sexy shot, such good angles.

Tomic must have saved so many set points this tournament; he saved like 5 or 6 in the last round iirc.

I just never expected to wake up to Seppi beating Federer. I thought that one would be in the bag, especially considering how good of a 2014 Federer had. Now it's like 2013 again and, once again, the conversation will become how long can he keep playing and getting knocked out by these guys and not think "hey, I've won 17 of these things. I don't need to be struggling against the likes of Seppi in R3 or R4 anymore." It'll be a sad, sad day when he retires and results like this edge him closer to a decision.

imran

Neo Member
I think Fed should have trained a bit more off season and not go exhibition so much.

Anybody got a link to the post match up interview stuff?

Peru

Still too many brainfarts from Maria but this time at least she was focused enough to stay in control the whole match unlike that bizarre thing last round. Bouchard QF looming.

Still too many brainfarts from Maria but this time at least she was focused enough to stay in control the whole match unlike that bizarre thing last round. Bouchard QF looming.

6-1 6-1. That's pretty emphatic. Enjoyed Bouchard and Sharapova's Roland Garros match last year, so would love to see another match like that. In the meantime, C'MON RAFA! Don't follow in Fed's footsteps today.

Sexy like....Honey Boo Boo's mom in a bikini sexy?

Not sexy enough. Needs more sketti smeared all those fine flabs and folds. Really work that sketti through the nooks and crannies. That bikini will slide right off after that.

LuuKyK

6-1 6-1. That's pretty emphatic. Enjoyed Bouchard and Sharapova's Roland Garros match last year, so would love to see another match like that.

That match was nerve wracking, god! (tbh, Maria's entire run to the title was but ok lol). And between my two favorite players too. I was so torn (as I am sure I will be, should they meet in the QF). :(

That match was nerve wracking, god! (tbh, Maria's entire run to the title was but ok lol). And between my two favorite players too. I was so torn (as I am sure I will be, should they meet in the QF). :(

I'd like Bouchard to win the Aussie Open. I was beyond disappointed when she just didn't turn up at the Wimbledon final. It was tragic to watch her taken apart, especially after such a fantastic tournament.

Yes, he's playing quite well. Not sure about the pink shirt. He wore pink at Roland Garros in 2009, and we all remember what happened there. But, bloody hell, his forehand is working nicely again.

Keeping his options open. McLaren wasthisclose to dropping him at the end of 2014. Tennis seems a natural fit for a 34 year old Formula One driver. It's a more credible explanation as to why Federer lost. It wasn't Seppi, it was Button. After swimming, biking and running, the Quadathlon rules require you to play Federer at the Aus. Open.

Faith

So we already have some interesting 1/8-finals:

Berdych - Tomic
Anderson - Nadal
Murray - Dimitrov
Kyrgios - Seppi

Who knows, Tomic could win the tournament :p

Diamond

Definitely interesting lineup. Would've been even better with Roger, but hey, a little time off will be good for him I think.
Kyrgios has a formidable opportunity to be in a QF at home there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom