• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Not shocked at Federer's loss. I mean, they are bound to happen more often than not. It helps that the new crop of young players are generally weak.

Really shocked at the poor form of Nadal. Consistently poor and may I go out on a limb, disinterested. Looking burned out from the sport of sorts. Surely, being injured so frequently on tour and having to come back, rinse and repeat is having a psychological impact on him, coupled with the fact that he's already too accomplished I can see his motivation dwindle down. That also coupled with his personal life plus a static core group that may need a change to insert some fresh ideas and to reignite his edge..... A lot of things going on for Mr. Nadal.

I say this as a fan having watched him closely for almost all of his pro-career. When you watch a player that much you can notice changes in the smallest of things.

These loses just don't get any easier on the heart.....

Nishikori will decide how many games he wants Steve Johnson to win. Steve can't comprehend his level from the back of the court.

sam777

Not shocked at Federer's loss. I mean, they are bound to happen more often than not. It helps that the new crop of young players are generally weak.

Really shocked at the poor form of Nadal. Consistently poor and may I go out on a limb, disinterested. Looking burned out from the sport of sorts. Surely, being injured so frequently on tour and having to come back, rinse and repeat is having a psychological impact on him, coupled with the fact that he's already too accomplished I can see his motivation dwindle down. That also coupled with his personal life plus a static core group that may need a change to insert some fresh ideas and to reignite his edge..... A lot of things going on for Mr. Nadal.

I say this as a fan having watched him closely for almost all of his pro-career. When you watch a player that much you can notice changes in the smallest of things.

Surely Nadal's celebration at just getting through the 2nd round will tell you he is anything but disinterested.

I don't know, but this comeback hasn't afforded him any build-up towards a slam event. The others, at least, gave him enough prep time to get the matches and boost his confidence; something which is so, so vital to his game. Without it he can play like a ghost and just get blown away by a player whose hot that day. I'd be surprised if he got much further than he has done now into the tournament. Djokovic would blow him off court if he got to the final. Besides, I'm sure he's all about making sure he's in peak condition at the French and during the clay court season.

I'm really intrigued with the Murray vs. Dmitriov match. I never expected Murray to go down so tamely in his Wimbledon defence, and I think this match could be a big watershed moment for how the second half of his career will go.

I don't know, but this comeback hasn't afforded him any build-up towards a slam event. The others, at least, gave him enough prep time to get the matches and boost his confidence; something which is so, so vital to his game. Without it he can play like a ghost and just get blown away by a player whose hot that day. I'd be surprised if he got much further than he has done now into the tournament. Djokovic would blow him off court if he got to the final. Besides, I'm sure he's all about making sure he's in peak condition at the French and during the clay court season.

I'm really intrigued with the Murray vs. Dmitriov match. I never expected Murray to go down so tamely in his Wimbledon defence, and I think this match could be a big watershed moment for how the second half of his career will go.
I wanna see Simitrov vs. Kygrios badly, so I hope he breaks Muzza's baxk again. Make him humble.

Certinty

Looking forward to Anderson vs Nadal given how Nadal can't return for shit these days.

If Nadal loses though the half really is open for anyone to make the final so hopefully Anderson can pull it off. The second set of their match a few years ago in Canada was entertaining and quality stuff.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
now that my favorite is out, here are the peeps i'm shamelessly shilling for from now on:

1. nishikori
2. ferrer
3. dimitrov
4. murray
5. wawrinka
6. verdasco

bandwagoning for life

GnawtyDog

Banned
Surely Nadal's celebration at just getting through the 2nd round will tell you he is anything but disinterested.

When hasn't he? That's more a routine than anything. He lacks fire, edge. He can pump his fist a million times to get himself going as some sort of energy mechanism but that's clearly not enough. You gotta have the thirst, and competitive edge to win at the highest level. He's been lacking that for quite a while in my reads - apart from his game being totally lacking in key areas.

When hasn't he? That's more a routine than anything. He lacks fire, edge. He can pump his fist a million times to get himself going as some sort of energy mechanism but that's clearly not enough. You gotta have the thirst, and competitive edge to win at the highest level. He's been lacking that for quite a while.
You see th negatives, I see the positives. He's still the favorite at Roland Garroa for the next five years. And he knows this.

LuuKyK

Hahaha true that.

Eugenie Bouchard @geniebouchard · 12 h Há 12 horas
It could have been worse guys �� #lol #twirlgate
B8BJfywCYAAAdbu.jpg

sam777

When hasn't he? That's more a routine than anything. He lacks fire, edge. He can pump his fist a million times to get himself going as some sort of energy mechanism but that's clearly not enough. You gotta have the thirst, and competitive edge to win at the highest level. He's been lacking that for quite a while in my reads - apart from his game being totally lacking in key areas.

Getting down on the floor as if he won the thing is routine? More like it showed the desperation/relief of getting through. Disinterested, not a chance.

Rafael Nadal lacks competitive edge? What the heck. His game has weaknesses, and has always had them, but the one thing nobody has ever criticised is his mentality.

Tsonga's a much better shout for a player held back by sometimes lacking intensity.

IISANDERII

Load up the BBC website to see the results. Holy shit! Federer is out! Where is my man, Murray? Through. Good. Back to sleep. Looking forward to a Murray vs. Dimitriov match-up; those comments Dimitriov made about Murray during the warm-up in their Wimbledon QF will make this one a little more tasty.

Still, Federer, though. I don't want him to retire, but he's now vulnerable to these guys who just aren't fit to lace his boots. If Nadal goes out today as well, I'll be well and truly miserable for the rest of the day.
What comments?

Certinty

Don't choke this Giorgi.

Awesome how much she has improved these last few years though, I remember seeing her at Wimbledon qualies a few years ago and she didn't have that many weapons.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The eternal game

Edit: Finally. Can't believe Venus wasted all those break points.

GnawtyDog

Banned
You see th negatives, I see the positives. He's still the favorite at Roland Garroa for the next five years. And he knows this.

Well, that's got to do with the weak crop of younglings more than anything else. Then again, the tour is not just Roland Garros where he has a distinct competitive advantage due to the mastery of the surface, like say, Federer on grass.

What was Milos discussing with the umpire? I had the sound off and wasn't paying attention

Aaaand it's over

Another game for Milos!

Steve "da thug" Johnson losing 10 lbs of "Murica" weight in the off-season has really helped improve his game. I'm still not too crazy about his Andy Roddick backhand though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom