• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Should've done doubles with Hingis, that's where her career is now. They just won in Brisbane- Hingis only doing mixed this AO though.

Yeah, weird that she's not in the doubles. I guess that she wanted to concentrate on the singles, not that that went very well.

Holy shiet Kygrios just went apeshit he was going great the 1st set and now he just lost it...

That guy ain't gonna go far. I was rooting for him too :(

oti

Banned
Gulbis bageled by.. who?

Isn't it "by whom"? (Not being snarky, just wondering here.)

Anyway, that's Thanassi Kokkinakis. I first saw him play a show match for charity. BTW: That name is as Greek as it gets. Same for Kyrgios, which is Greek for "Mister".

#themoreyouknow

DJKhaled

That guy ain't gonna go far. I was rooting for him too :(

you mean not far in the aus open or in his career? a bit unfair to say his career based off just this, though im quite upset if he loses this match, i think the guy is great, plus, he is playing with injuries.

LuuKyK

Marias dress is a tame version of that preview. I am disappointed. :(

Genie looks extremely cute though.

B7tA3iMIgAA902A.png

Kokkinakis going hard in 5th at 7v6 with Gulbis serving. Come on Kokki!!!

That Aussie crowd, SoGood.gif.

EDIT: kid is only 18 and pulled a win, congrats to him. He also saved match points against him too.

Kokkinakis looked really solid out there. Didn't look tired at all in the fifth set. Gulbis had a lot of chances, but Kokkinakis didn't give him any chance to be aggressive on break points or match points.

Kokkinakis looked really solid out there. Didn't look tired at all in the fifth set. Gulbis had a lot of chances, but Kokkinakis didn't give him any chance to be aggressive on break points or match points.

True, usually the young ones physically fall flat at the end of the 5th. I agree solid stuff and a good heart in his game.

Marias dress is a tame version of that preview. I am disappointed. :(

Genie looks extremely cute though.

Uh oh with the yellow hat the Australian media (particularly Channel 7) will take that as a sign of her being Australian and will thus start giving her the nickname "Aussie" Eugenie as they have done with many other foreign players over the years.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
First day seeds out:

Men:
Gulbis (11), Robredo (15, retired)

Women:
Ivanovic (5), Bencic (32), Pavlyuchenkova (23), Lisicki (28), Kuznetsova (27), Suarez Navarro (17), Kerber (9), Safarova (16)

So that's 1/4 of the seeded women out on the first day.

Milchmann

Both Kerber and Lisicki are already out? What a bummer for German tennis. :(

Lisicki's result was kinda expected, Kerber's loss was surprising. Her late night matches in Sydney (one finished at 3:10 am) have probably taken their toll. Kerber needs a more clever schedule with her demanding playing style.

Well, bring on the Witthöft and Lottner future.

oti

Banned
Lisicki's result was kinda expected, Kerber's loss was surprising. Her late night matches in Sydney (one finished at 3:10 am) have probably taken their toll. Kerber needs a more clever schedule with her demanding playing style.

Well, bring on the Witthöft and Lottner future.

Petkovic/Görges will avenge us!

oti

Banned
One more hour to go. It's almost midnight and I'm watching Netflix so I won't fall asleep.

Oh Australian Open, what are you doing to me?

(I'm watching I Am Number 4. It's pretty dumb but that girl from Glee is in it.)

One more hour to go. It's almost midnight and I'm watching Netflix so I won't fall asleep.

Oh Australian Open, what are you doing to me?

(I'm watching I Am Number 4. It's pretty dumb but that girl from Glee is in it.)

I thought it was tough in the US to watch the AO. Can't imagine how tough it is in Euroland.

In the US, its pretty easy to stay up for all the matches sans the 4 prime time matches.

oti

Banned
I thought it was tough in the US to watch the AO. Can't imagine how tough it is in Euroland.

In the US, its pretty easy to stay up for all the matches sans the 4 prime time matches.

We have two of the four Slams so I can't feel too sorry for us Euros. Waking up to Tennis (AO) and Tennis at prime time (USO) is pretty nice too.

Did anyone see the new technology racquet some of the pros are using this year? Babolat had a presentation with Nadal about his new stats tracking racquet he and others are using at the AusOpen this year:

Otton called up Nadal’s data from his practice session on Friday that lasted 1 hour, 31 minutes. In that time, he hit 572 shots, or 22 per minute, which broke down to 156 backhands, 222 forehands, 118 serves and 76 smashes.
The data also gets more detailed and analyses, for example, how Nadal hit his forehands — 133 had topspin, 49 had slice and 40 were flat.
Swipe to the next screen and an image of a tennis racquet appears that shows where the ball is making impact.
For Nadal’s practice, he hit 42 percent of shots in the centre and 20 percent on top of the racquet — the rest on the bottom and sides.

307682-d5227b6e-a01f-11e4-b0c3-1d439f0b9016.jpg

Source (more at the link)

Diamond

Did anyone see the new technology racquet some of the pros are using this year? Babolat had a presentation with Nadal about his new stats tracking racquet he and others are using at the AusOpen this year:

307682-d5227b6e-a01f-11e4-b0c3-1d439f0b9016.jpg

Source (more at the link)

That's pretty great, didn't know Nadal was using it. The Babolat Play racquets are still a little bit too expensive (300 Euros here for a Pure Drive, and it was 400€ until recently), but in a few years, I bet a majority of the models will have some kind of tracking tech implemented. It's really fun to have stats on your game.

I recently tried this device from Artengo, which has the particularity to adapt to any racquet. Some stats can be useful to adjust a few things. Unfortunately, the device is a little bit too heavy. The Babolat Play models have the same weight as standard models, so that's better in my book.

The two problems I see are, at least for the time being, that stats are not that detailed (you can't have things like shot placement, 1st serve percentage, successful net approaches, hell, even errors, which are all too difficult to accurately track) and you don't have a way to know how accurate the stats you have really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom