• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2015 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
Can she win the CYGS this year? She'd probably have to pull out of mostly everything else if she wants to go for it.

Maybe a dumb question, possibly racist, but why don't more black women play tennis. You would think their 'blacksplosiveness' would be such an advantage over baby white/brown girls.

Peru

When Serena serves 13 aces in a set taking that set to tie-break is not bad. But in conclusion I'm just tired of matches I can sum up as "good effort, Maria, almost there, too bad". Time for something else.

Also not going to deny bitterness over the fact that she'd beat any of the other players in this final and that when she finally gets decent at HC with big off-season changes after the horrible 2014 season she has to meet the unstoppable force in that match ;\ Best player won of course.. but Serena's been out of many other slams and why couldn't Maria be as good there.

MIMIC

Banned
Maybe a dumb question, possibly racist, but why don't more black women play tennis. You would think their 'blacksplosiveness' would be such an advantage over baby white/brown girls.

She definitely has inspired more black women to play (like Sloan), but Serena is a legend. Black or white....she's in a different league.

Peru

Can she win the CYGS this year? She'd probably have to pull out of mostly everything else if she wants to go for it.

She rarely seems to be consistent across the four slams of the season. It's possible, though. Personally I hope Maria stays consistent and gets a non-Serena slam final. Maybe even on something other than clay.

I would expect a big problem is that tennis requires both a lot of money (or extreme parental determination/sacrifice) to take up as a hobby compared to other sports, and it helps to have access to good quality courts/clubs which are disproportionately found in wealthier areas. Obviously, black people in most developed countries are less likely to live in the right areas or have sufficient resources.

With the Williams sisters as idols, I'm sure there's been an increase in tennis interest, particularly among black women (see Sloane Stephens, Madison Keys).

Peru

I would expect a big problem is that tennis requires both a lot of money (or extreme parental determination/sacrifice) to take up as a hobby compared to other sports, and it helps to have access to good quality courts/clubs which are disproportionately found in wealthier areas. Obviously, black people in most developed countries are less likely to live in the right areas or have sufficient resources.

True to some extent, but many of the top tennis players have come from poor Eastern European origins.

Yes, but barring injury, won't she be favored in every Slam?

She'll probably be favored....but I'm personally not really picking her to win the French.

That doesn't mean I necessarily even have a pick there...I just think there are a lot more challenges on clay for her.

Wimby and US though...she can have every single match on her racket.

Have to see how the rest of the year goes of course. But right now she (obviously) is still the player to beat.

That's my take at least.

miserable

i wonder when will somebody cut a real salty promo after losing a GS final instead of these "oh well it was such an honor to play you, congrats" ones

Hige

Thanking God for winning tournaments is so awkward. Sorry, Maria, God doesn't like you as much as Serena! He's a busy man, you know, gotta work his magic for the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Peru

People are up to date on tennis records

B8rFV21IYAAoVPi.png

That cold Serena has been nursing all week magically went away sometime during the end of the first set. She even sounded perfectly fine when delivering the post match interview

MIMIC

Banned

Also, although I'm not a black FEMALE, Serena definitely inspired ME to take up tennis. After I saw her annihilate Maria back in the 2007 Australian Open final, I thought "Hmmmm....maybe there's something more to basketball and track". lol

And I've been playing ever since.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Also, although I'm not a black FEMALE, Serena definitely inspired ME to take up tennis. After I saw her annihilate Maria back in the 2007 Australian Open final, I thought "Hmmmm....maybe there's something more to basketball and track". lol

And I've been playing ever since.

and eight short years later, you play like andy murray. what a story.

Superman0

She may have 19 to Graf 22 grand slam but I still consider her the greatest woman tennis player of all time. If those two played in their prime, Serena would win hands down.

Diamond

I'm doubtful about that "blacksplosiveness" thing, results can't be attributed to the colour of the skin, rather to talent and training. Also, even if one has a superior physique, it's an asset, sure, but that's not enough, in tennis at least.
The question rather is : is tennis as accessible and as popular as other sports in black communities or African countries. I think it's not.

That said, there were quite a lot of good black women US tennis players in recent history besides the Williams : Zina Garrison, Chanda Rubin, Alexandra Stevenson, Shenay Perry, Jamea Jackson, Madison Keys, Sloane Stephens, Taylor Townsend, Mashona Washington, of the top of my head. Considering the fact we're talking about the elite of the elite, and that there's 12% (I think ?) african-americans in US population, that's a pretty good representation. It's way worse in other countries.

Yes, I agree. It's a shame she never really had a great rival, like Graf/Seles, or Navratilova/Evert.

Justine Henin stopped her career too soon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
13.2%, but close. Although to be fair, no other country has any African-Americans at all (apart from occasional migrants). :p There are some countries that are leading the way, though, I think - France especially has such a huge contingent of prominent athletes from a diversity of different backgrounds. Even now, Lokoli looks like he'll be really good one day.

MIMIC

Banned
That said, there were quite a lot of good black women US tennis players in recent history besides the Williams : Zina Garrison, Chanda Rubin, Alexandra Stevenson, Shenay Perry, Jamea Jackson, Madison Keys, Sloane Stephens, Taylor Townsend, Mashona Washington, of the top of my head. Considering the fact we're talking about the elite of the elite, and that there's 12% (I think ?) african-americans in US population, that's a pretty good representation. It's way worse in other countries.

Dammit! I was wrecking my brain trying to remember her name. Thanx

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Not a surprising result. Serena is pretty much only vulnerable in the early rounds. Once she makes the final, she's pretty much a lock to win, particularly against Sharapova since she really seems to have taken offense at 2004 :p tough for Sharapova, but...could've been worse I guess :/

ghstwrld

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/QbhYjrl.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Zjzc01J.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/CoWfscT.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/FFNdaU9.jpg[/img]

Volimar

I was cheering for Maria. Feels bad. Also, were they having people trying to dry the court while it was still raining on it?

Berdych death stare towards Murray

1ib5n7t.gif

Was that before or after his utter collapse in the second set? It's one thing to instigate that kind of tension on court, it's another to actually deliver and thrive on it. Poor Tomas was left munching on a bagel 30 minutes later. Next time don't piss off the miserable, moody, dour Scot, Tomas.

Diamond

Was that before or after his utter collapse in the second set? It's one thing to instigate that kind of tension on court, it's another to actually deliver and thrive on it. Poor Tomas was left munching on a bagel 30 minutes later. Next time don't piss off the miserable, moody, dour Scot, Tomas.

Found this explanation :

the telegraph said:
It still came as a surprise, though, to see Murray show his feelings so openly on the court. The match came alive with emotion after the ninth game, in which he stymied Berdych’s attempt to serve for the opening set, and then aimed his celebration straight at Vallverdu, who was sitting in Berdych’s courtside box.

A few wags on Twitter suggested that this might have been simple force of habit, yet those close to Murray stress that he has drawn huge motivation over the past couple of months from the upheavals in his camp.

To get a chance to prove a point against Berdych and Vallverdu in the first grand-slam championship of the year is exactly what he would have wanted.

There was an electricity on the court from the beginning. In fact it was almost as if both players wanted this win too badly.

They were playing urgently, but stiffly, and the error count was escalating on both sides of the net. So too was the interpersonal drama as Berdych responded to Murray’s pointedly targeted celebrations with a death stare at the change of ends.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/te...et-semi-final-victory-over-Tomas-Berdych.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom