• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
And it seems most of tennis people don't like her that much.

Most people don't seem to like Sharapova either but I don't care about that too much. If Maria wants to lonewolf her time on the tour, she can do that.

But CoCo's interview just lacked respect for her opponent I felt like.

3 straight breaks to start this Serena/Strycova match

edit: make that 4 straight breaks

raw

Speevy

Banned
Makaroni is spent, Goffin and Thiem have traded breaks. I want Goffin to win I think because Thiem has beaten Roger twice already. That's assuming either of these guys would get far enough, which is doubtful but it's the only match on right now.

oti

Banned
How did Goffin beat Thief? Goffin has got no weapons. Thiem has all the weapons.

And please, Bautista. Free us from the horror that is Raonic.

leng jai

How did Goffin beat Thief? Goffin has got no weapons. Thiem has all the weapons.

And please, Bautista. Free us from the horror that is Raonic.

Thiem has weapons but zero tactics, he's one of the most inefficient players I've ever seen. He's a dire player to watch and a case where calling him a "ball basher" is actually justified. It's good enough against lower ranked players but once he plays someone good his lack of proper game plan usually gets exposed.

Diamond

Thiem has weapons but zero tactics, he's one of the most inefficient players I've ever seen. He's a dire player to watch and a case where calling him a "ball basher" is actually justified. It's good enough against lower ranked players but once he plays someone good his lack of proper game plan usually gets exposed.

Add to that that Goffin pretty much built his success on smart play (everyone can see he's not there because of a monster physique)... But I wouldn't write Thiem off yet, he can improve. Look what Raonic has done this past two years for instance.

This would be the worst possible world. Tennis would be dead to me.

Yeah, two creative and fun to watch players in a slam final, who wants that?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Federer is creative, credit where it is due. Dimitrov is not, in the slightest.

leng jai

Dimitrov has the tools, he just doesn't know how to use them. He's another very inefficient player but his general "style" makes him look better than he actually is. He's not good tactically either. For instance in today's match against Istomin it took an obvious injury before he started spreading the court and getting his opponent on the run. He clearly should have been doing that from the beginning instead of going hard down the middle like he did in the first 2 sets. He's getting better though, but the progress is gradual.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dimitrov has the tools, he just doesn't know how to use them. He's another very inefficient player but his general "style" makes him look better than he actually is. He's not good tactically either. For instance in today's match against Istomin it took an obvious injury before he started spreading the court and getting his opponent on the run. He clearly should have been doing that from the beginning instead of going hard down the middle like he did in the first 2 sets.

No, I agree with this analysis. He's a terrible player to watch, it's stupid tennis. He had a relatively strong collection of shots and can generate good angles and still insists on playing stuff straight up the centre and then trying an approach, or generating a big bit of open court then playing a drop shot. Why would you want to watch that? It's just dumb. He's Federer if you gave Federer a complete and total lobotomy (and took his net skills away and made his serve worse).

But because he had a flashy backhand and a boyband look, everyone keeps trying to make him happen.

Diamond

In my mind the trick shots and acrobatic defenses he produces regularly and which only him (maybe Monfils) can play make him quite creative. He *creates* incredible shots. The facts that he's not the best tactician, that he's been mentally struggling and has not played well for many months don't erase that.
At least you don't deny he's fun to watch! [Edit] Whoops, corrected ! :)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I very much do deny it. If I ever felt like I wanted to watch one of his matches, I could replicate the feeling by slamming my head against a wall repeatedly.

leng jai

In my mind the trick shots and acrobatic defenses he produces regularly and which only him (maybe Monfils) can play make him quite creative. He *creates* incredible shots. The facts that he's not the best tactician, that he's been mentally struggling and has not played well for many months don't erase that.
At least you don't deny he's fun to watch! [Edit] Whoops, corrected ! :)

Dimitrov in the past seemed more focused on his highlight reel than actually winning. Monfils and the likes of Dolgopolov are the worst players to watch. Monfils is a grinder by choice who artificially creates "epic" rallies with his junk balling and the latter has the worst shot selection of all time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dimitrov in the past seemed more focused on his highlight reel than actually winning. Monfils and the likes of Dolgopolov are the worst players to watch. Monfils is a grinder by choice who artificially creates "epic" rallies with his junk balling and the latter has the worst shot selection of all time.

Amen.

Diamond

Well, maybe the artist in me doesn't think it is necessarily a bad thing. It's sport, it's meant to be fun too.

I agree it's terrible to watch when Monfils or Dimitrov completely tank a match and start to clown around, but you can't throw everything out, you need some guys who have some fantasy here or there. I very much appreciate tactical battles, I enjoy some tweeners and 160km/h forehands out of nowhere too.

Kensuke

I thought Monfils must have improved something to get to the ranking he's at now. It's looking like the same scenario as 2 years ago though.

leng jai

I thought Monfils must have improved something to get to the ranking he's at now. It's looking like the same scenario as 2 years ago though.

The main thing he improved last year was consistency and cutting out his brain farts. If you look at his activity last year you'll see that he some incredibly cushy draws as well. There wasn't really any notable performances or big wins among them, just very steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom