• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Open 2017 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
what does that even mean

It's one of those tweets thats kindof ambiguously racist based on the persons history.she could really dislike Mexico for a variety of reasons. If she doesn't like the people, she's racist. But she could just be disappointed her first passport stamp is in a neighboring country, which I could see that being valid as well.

I would need to see more tweets from her to determine if it had racial intentions or if it was meant to be innocent based on the US's geographic relativity to Mexico. It would be like a Portuguese person saying "I'm disappointed my first passport stamp is going to be from Spain"

They're neighboring countries so its not that thrilling

JBwB

Expecting Federer to win this quite easily. Zverev could potentially take a set if Fed has a lull point.

scarlet

It's one of those tweets thats kindof ambiguously racist based on the persons history.she could really dislike Mexico for a variety of reasons. If she doesn't like the people, she's racist. But she could just be disappointed her first passport stamp is in a neighboring country, which I could see that being valid as well.

I would need to see more tweets from her to determine if it had racial intentions or if it was meant to be innocent based on the US's geographic relativity to Mexico. It would be like a Portuguese person saying "I'm disappointed my first passport stamp is going to be from Spain"

They're neighboring countries so its not that thrilling

If you're on Twitter you can find out how rude and racist she is, or the Twitter people are just delusional cuz she's a nice person /s.

JBwB

This game is taking quite a long time haha.

Haven't seen the SABR in a while.

Edit: Ah he finally broke him.

Looking forward to Stan vs Fed. Obviously as a Federer fan I want him to win but I wouldn't be upset with Stan getting another slam. Should be fun either way.

Hoping to see a Nadal vs Fed final, never thought there was any chance of that happening again.

Lach

guaranteed finals spot :cool:

If only they could've played in the finals.

We can't have everything. But I look forward to that semi-final!
Hard to decide who to root for. Last few years I would have been on Stans side, but I would be really happy for Roger to win another Grand Slam.

Diamond

There's also the time (I think) where Tsonga said he deserved to win a slam more than Stan, given their past results.

In any case both seem to have already forgotten the dispute so I guess it was just hot air.

Looks like the Frenchman is throwing the proverbial white flag

It's true our guys (Pouille, Tsonga, Gasquet and Monfils) all went out pretty easily this year once they met big opposition. They all try to step up their game in training (they spoke about that a lot in pre-season interviews) but I guess we'll have to wait to see if it's enough to lead to more upsets.

Does Zverev not know anything besides serve n volley?

He admits it himself, he can't compete with the top guys in any other manner. His groundstrokes aren't powerful enough. To me it's a totally valid way to play, his win over Murray shows that.

We can't have everything. But I look forward to that semi-final!
Hard to decide who to root for. Last few years I would have been on Stans side, but I would be really happy for Roger to win another Grand Slam.

Very interesting match. Stan is my favourite because he just had higher standards of play than Federer in recent years, but I think his game doesn't bother Roger as much as Djokovic for example. If they bring their A game we could have something like their 2014 semi at the WTF. Apart from Wimbledon 2014 their slam head to head history is a little bit disappointing.

JBwB

Well Federer has a massively lopsided record against Wawrinka, but I don't expect Stan to roll over.

Yeah Fed has like 18 wins compared to Wawrinka's 3 in their head to head stats.

Federer is most likely to win but I won't be surprised if Wawrinka clutches and takes it to a fourth or fifth set.

Either way I hope whoever wins that match goes on to win the tournament.

Fed clearly had the edge but he is getting older and Stan has continued to improve. I think it's a fairly even match going in. As a Federer fan I feel quite pessimistic about his chances.

Honestly i think Federer beats anybody not named Nadal.
Wawa beats anybody not named Federer
Nadal is 50/50 against Raonic, loses against Wawa, beats everybody else
Raonic beats everyone not mentioned above

Winner is either Federer or Nadal depending on how that 50/50 tomorrow shakes out.

Diamond

Wawrinka is a different beast in slams than in every other tournament, you have to take that into account. He's at three slams now, he knows how to manage this kind of matches. With Roger just returning from injury (granted, in superb form), I wouldn't give him a clear edge. In slams, these past years, it was very one-sided affairs between the two except at Wimbledon, with a tight match clearly on Roger's best and Stan's worst surface.
In any case, hoping for a great match.

JBwB

Fed is 13-0 on hardcourts against Wawrinka.

If Wawrinka does beat Federer it would be the first time he's done so on that surface.

Federer's level has been pretty up and down throughout the tournament, but he's brought it when he needed it. His movement has been fleeter and his backhand much stronger than I expected. That said, the pressures of a Slam semi-final are quite different - up till this point he was either playing with few expectations or not too challenged by his opponent - and Wawrinka will probably succeed in making the match more physical than Nishikori did. And knowing that this might be the best chance he'll ever get to win #18 nerves might be a factor. I'm excited though.

I've just about recovered from Murray's loss. Y'know, I was just thinking during the off season than he'd never really had an awful loss that wasted a great opportunity in his career - his bad defeats had always either been in early rounds when he had little chance to win the tournament, or in late rounds against players who were favoured over him anyway (e.g. all his Slam final losses). Well, he's got a clunker on his CV now.

Good matches tonight - Raonic beat Nadal in Brisbane, but I'd reckon Nadal's been stronger en route to the quarters so far, and best of 5 probably favours him. Huge chance for both obviously. And then Goffin v Dimitrov, arguably the biggest match of both their careers so far (okay Dimitrov d. Murray at Wimbledon and subsequent SF against Djokovic in 2014, but there's real pressure on him to make his move that there wasn't back then).

And hats off to Venus Williams. 36 and tearing through the field. She's continued to refine and improve her game, absolutely deadly if her opponent drops the ball short or floats the 2nd serve. Not afraid to defend the net either. I hope she beats Vandeweghe.

If Konta and Serena play well it could be the women's match of the tournament. Clear evidence the courts are playing quicker on the women's side I think: last 8 are all players are all ones you'd consider big servers/strikers suited to grass (Lucic made Wimbledon semis in 1999) and no physical/fitness players like Cibulkova, Kerber, Radwanska etc.

Federer's level has been pretty up and down throughout the tournament, but he's brought it when he needed it. His movement has been fleeter and his backhand much stronger than I expected. That said, the pressures of a Slam semi-final are quite different - up till this point he was either playing with few expectations or not too challenged by his opponent - and Wawrinka will probably succeed in making the match more physical than Nishikori did. And knowing that this might be the best chance he'll ever get to win #18 nerves might be a factor. I'm excited though.

I've just about recovered from Murray's loss. Y'know, I was just thinking during the off season than he'd never really had an awful loss that wasted a great opportunity in his career - his bad defeats had always either been in early rounds when he had little chance to win the tournament, or in late rounds against players who were favoured over him anyway (e.g. all his Slam final losses). Well, he's got a clunker on his CV now.

Good matches tonight - Raonic beat Nadal in Brisbane, but I'd reckon Nadal's been stronger en route to the quarters so far, and best of 5 probably favours him. Huge chance for both obviously. And then Goffin v Dimitrov, arguably the biggest match of both their careers so far (okay Dimitrov d. Murray at Wimbledon and subsequent SF against Djokovic in 2014, but there's real pressure on him to make his move that there wasn't back then).

And hats off to Venus Williams. 36 and tearing through the field. She's continued to refine and improve her game, absolutely deadly if her opponent drops the ball short or floats the 2nd serve. Not afraid to defend the net either. I hope she beats Vandeweghe.

If Konta and Serena play well it could be the women's match of the tournament. Clear evidence the courts are playing quicker on the women's side I think: last 8 are all players are all ones you'd consider big servers/strikers suited to grass (Lucic made Wimbledon semis in 1999) and no physical/fitness players like Cibulkova, Kerber, Radwanska etc.

One thing to note is that all 8 quarterfinalists on the womens side are 5'9" or taller. Serena is actually the shortest quarterfinalist in this tournament. Hard to say if its a coincidence or the beginnings of a trend. Shorter players have always had some disadvantages in the past, but shorter players are seemingly at greater disadvantage than ever before. Maybe its just this surface, but grass also favors the taller player. Clay may be the only surface that is a height neutralizer.

Fed is 13-0 on hardcourts against Wawrinka.

If Wawrinka does beat Federer it would be the first time he's done so on that surface.

Yea but how many times have they played in the last few years, under the lights, on the courts of the Australian open which aren't conventional hardcourts, not made out of cement, but something else that makes them slower and bouncier.

These aren't the American hardcourts. Honestly, I haven't watched enough of either this year to have a great instinct. But if it's in the evening and slow, Stan could potentially really hit through Fed, like he did at the French. Guess it also depends on how well Fed has been serving throughout the tournament. But the slower it is, the less effective and more error prone it is.

come one Federer, just one more slam

Well it would be incredible, and he better pray Nadal is taken out before they meet, if that happens, then I could see it happening, but he's still pretty vulnerable. Goffin would obviously be ideal, the rest will all be very very tough. Fed knows how to handle people who don't like to come forward usually.

The 9th ranked British player I'm sure was happy to see Zverev lose to Fed

Lloyd Glasspool
‏@LloydGlasspool
Why does Andy have to lose to mischa sverev. Anyone but him. Come on Andy your so much better than that.

Lloyd is dating Heather Watson so....maybe Zverev tried to steal his girl or something? Everyone has haters on tour

oti

Banned
The 9th ranked British player I'm sure was happy to see Zverev lose to Fed

Lloyd Glasspool
‏@LloydGlasspool
Why does Andy have to lose to mischa sverev. Anyone but him. Come on Andy your so much better than that.

Lloyd is dating Heather Watson so....maybe Zverev tried to steal his girl or something? Everyone has haters on tour

Who?

RedAssedApe

Banned
One thing to note is that all 8 quarterfinalists on the womens side are 5'9" or taller. Serena is actually the shortest quarterfinalist in this tournament. Hard to say if its a coincidence or the beginnings of a trend. Shorter players have always had some disadvantages in the past, but shorter players are seemingly at greater disadvantage than ever before. Maybe its just this surface, but grass also favors the taller player. Clay may be the only surface that is a height neutralizer.

henin needs to make a comeback and show these ladies how its done

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I hope Mirjana makes it to the semis. That'd be so wild considering her story.

Milchmann

1zw5pSf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom