• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australians on Indonesia death row plead for lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130505/australians-indonesia-death-row-plead-lives-0
Two Australian drug smugglers on death row in Indonesia have made a desperate plea for their lives, insisting they are reformed characters and deserve a second chance.

Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, part of the "Bali Nine", were convicted and sentenced to death for their role in an attempt to smuggle eight kilogrammes (18 pounds) of heroin into Australia from the resort island in 2005.

The rest are serving lengthy sentences, including life terms.

Both men have lost their final appeals, with their fate now in the hands of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who can grant clemency.

But with Indonesia in February announcing it planned to put to death some convicts for murder and drugs offences in 2013 after not carrying out an execution for several years, concerns about their fate are growing.

Sukumaran and Chan told Sydney's Sunday Telegraph newspaper they were having nightmares involving being shot dead by a firing squad.

Indonesia has stiff penalties for drug trafficking, including life imprisonment and death.

There is no time-frame for Yudhoyono to grant clemency and Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr said Canberra has repeatedly urged the president to spare them.

Loofy

Indonesia is really weird. On the plane they give you a slip that says drug trafficking is punishable by death. Then you get there and everyones selling shrooms cause its considered 'natural.'

Death sentences for drugs are stupid.

You don't have to be some 'all drugs should be legal' uber-Libertarian to believe that ultimately, drug abuse is a choice made by the drug user and that although we can make drugs illegal and lock up dealers, couriers, drug makers, etc . . . . killing drug trafficker is going overboard.

Darklord

Banned
I really have little sympathy for them. It's pretty clear how strict Indonesia is towards drugs and to be stupid enough to smuggle heroin is just moronic. It's like kicking a bear when it's asleep then cry when it wakes up and claws your face off.

Also, life in an Indonesian prison, that might be worse than death.

I believe in reformation but they took the risk probably knowing full well the penalty. It's a harsh sentence particularly for drug smuggling.

Meadows

Banned
On the one hand the sentences are way too strict, but on the other hand it's not exactly unknown that smuggling into Indonesia is a big no no

NEO0MJ

Sentence is pretty harsh but what they were attempting was darn stupid and I'm sure they knew the risks involved.

BowieZ

Banned
I don't personally believe in life imprisonment let alone capital punishment unless someone is completely murderously deranged, but if Indonesia does, then don't commit crimes in Indonesia that carry those sentences. Simple.

obin_gam

If you're so stupid to try and smuggle drugs in a country like that, then maybe this life isn't for you.

I don't get these types of posts at all.

How can you not have sympathy for people pleading not to be put to death for a drug offense?

because it's the same as, you see a fence that says, "lions inside. do not go in".

and you go in anyway. why would you have sympathy for people who knowingly broke a country's law, when it's advertised everywhere what the punishment and consequence is gonna be?

Kinyou

That they're Australians will probably not change a thing. Otherwise it would send the message that it's cool to smuggle drugs as long as you're a foreigner.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
On the one hand the sentences are way too strict, but on the other hand it's not exactly unknown that smuggling into Indonesia is a big no no

They were smuggling them out, not in, according to the OP.
They were cleansing the country of drugs. They should get a reward, lol.

Artemisia

Banned
because it's the same as, you see a fence that says, "lions inside. do not go in".

and you go in anyway. why would you have sympathy for people who knowingly broke a country's law, when it's advertised everywhere what the punishment and consequence is gonna be?

um because they are going to die?

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
Harsh penalty but they kind of deserve it. Not to die but at least being reprimanded. Surely they would have been aware of the penalties from the country to which they were attempting to smuggle drugs. I think death is far too harsh a penalty for their crime but they were idiots for pursuing such a punishable crime thinking they were immune to the consequences. Countries differ in their penalties. Evidently Idonesia has a strict policy. If you can't do the time (or face potential death) then don't do the crime. /thread

Madness

Anyone who says you deserve the death penalty for drug trafficking is ridiculous.

Try this in the US and see how far this gets you. We're not talking about cold blooded murder, terrorism, etc. We're talking about drug trafficking. Give them a harsh sentence, maybe 10-20 years. Indonesian jails are no picnic, but to kill them over this is ridiculous.

Yes they knew the laws there when they went, but that means we shouldn't call out draconian laws when we see them? I have little sympathy for drug traffickers or producers, but I don't feel they deserve to die at all.

If tomorrow a country bans alcohol and all importation and trafficking of it becomes punishable by death, it's alright? What if it was something else?

Sounds a lot like the Midnight Express

Midex2.jpg

Their only option is to bribe the guards & run!

Anyone who says you deserve the death penalty for drug trafficking is ridiculous.

Try this in the US and see how far this gets you. We're not talking about cold blooded murder, terrorism, etc. We're talking about drug trafficking. Give them a harsh sentence, maybe 10-20 years. Indonesian jails are no picnic, but to kill them over this is ridiculous.

Yes they knew the laws there when they went, but that means we shouldn't call out draconian laws when we see them? I have little sympathy for drug traffickers or producers, but I don't feel they deserve to die at all.

If tomorrow a country bans alcohol and all importation and trafficking of it becomes punishable by death, it's alright? What if it was something else?

Indonesia is not the US, Indonesians decide what penalty what crime gets.

7threst

Then don't smuggle heroin. It's not like they accidentally had 8kg of it drop into their pockets.

People smuggle for various reasons. Believe it or not, some of these reasons to smuggle and make a lot of cash fast may even be noble. And even if they are not, death is pretty harsh for a drug-offence.

Angry Fork

um because they are going to die?

Try to ignore it if you can, but I'm with you. The 'welp, tough shit' blood thirsty people annoy the shit out of me personally.

Then don't smuggle heroin. It's not like they accidentally had 8kg of it drop into their pockets.

The issue is whether or not someone should get life in prison, death, etc. for smuggling heroine. If you think this is okay then that's on you I guess.

Harsh penalty but they kind of deserve it. Not to die but at least being reprimanded. Surely they would have been aware of the penalties from the country to which they were attempting to smuggle drugs. I think death is far too harsh a penalty for their crime but they were idiots for pursuing such a punishable crime thinking they were immune to the consequences. Countries differ in their penalties. Evidently Idonesia has a strict policy. If you can't do the time (or face potential death) then don't do the crime. /thread

You guys keep ignoring ethical principles in favor of cultural relativism and I don't know why.

Indonesia is not the US, Indonesians decide what penalty what crime gets.

Nobody has denied that, but we're wondering why you're so nonchalant about it, as if Indonesia should be allowed to do this without protest/indignation.

Heroin is pretty bad. If it were weed they'd have my sympathies but you know exactly what you're risking when you pull that shit in Indonesia.

People smuggle for various reasons. Believe it or not, some of these reasons to smuggle and make a lot of cash fast may even be noble. And even if they are not, death is pretty harsh for a drug-offence.

really? what noble reasons scould this be? and proof please

Heroin kills and I'm sure the drug traffickers know it. Not that this gives ground for the death penalty but it's not entirely senseless.

Artemisia

Banned

'Then don't smuggle heroin' isn't an excuse for a clearly fucked up judgment.

These two men being aware that drug trafficking would result in the death penalty doesn't make the death penalty any less of a batshit crazy sentencing in this case.

Angry Fork

They took a big risk and it didn't pay off...

Shouldn't have tried to smuggle drugs through Indonesia!

Indonesia shouldn't be conducting human sacrifice in peace time. Or any other country for that matter.

You know you can condemn both the heroine smuggling AND shitty unethical laws right?

velociraptor

Could hardly care less. A lot of lives could have been ruined by those drugs.

If you can't do the time then don't do the crime. So I suspect in their case, time's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom