• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

lem0n

Hi guys, been on the gaming side of GAF for a few years but only recently ventured in this side and saw this thread.

I am glad I found this thread because there isn't the crazy fanboyism you would find in your typical car specific forum.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Personally I am a fan of practical performance cars in the $20-40k range (namely hot hatches) since I would drive something I can cart around friends or family in and that price range forces the auto makers to use their engineering and manufacturing skills to come up with their best balance of performance, comfort, and features.

Also got a question for you guys. I have a '12 Focus with about 85k miles. Should I be considering replacing my spark plugs even if I haven't had any issues with them? And if I do, are the more expensive spark plugs worth the price?

OEM for a '12 Focus is an Iridium plug, go with the Motocraft SP535. Copper or platinum won't perform as well. Also, iridium plugs are rated to 100k miles, so it's worth the price of admission. NGK is the only other alternative you should consider.

Yes, I'd replace them. I like to replace mine a couple times a year at least.

As for your last question: yes and no. It really depends on your specific motor and usage. I don't think you'd notice much of a difference between some cheaper plugs and more expensive ones on a car like a Focus. I think as long as it performs like OEM, you'll be fine.

God, how many miles do you do a year? Replacing spark plugs like air filters is not necessary, unless of course you do a ton of miles and use copper/nickel core plugs. Also, the direct injection engine in the new Foci are pretty advanced, so you really should stick to OEM iridium plugs. If we're talking 1st gen SOHC motors, then yeah, any old copper will do.

Smokey

Lease special running on BMWs website for an M235i right now is only $479/mo for 36 months.

Hell, if you negotiate, you might even be able to score yourself a better deal.

I'd kill for a car payment that low.

yo wut

too bad i am against leasing

negitoro7

Lease special running on BMWs website for an M235i right now is only $479/mo for 36 months.

I'm in canuckleland :(
Doubt it's anywhere near that low here.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

That's with like a $5000 down payment and also the cost of the car is MSRP.

If you take out all of the down payments, taxes, etc, it'll run $600. The correct way to lease this car is to get the cost of the car down to invoice. Then with first month's payment + bank fees (about $1000 total) you'll have a payment of 479

So recently became single, and deciding whether or not to get a "screw it, impractical sporty car". If I do, it'll be between the ND miata or BRZ. Too bad I'm upside down on my GTI car loan :/

Don't do it man... Get that loan right before you jump into anything else (Sporty or boring).

Momentary

Banned
What a nice weekend/track car to have owndD. Too bad they are illegal in the US. So angry about this.

79532_Exige-V6-Cup-27_02_13-_40_1024x681.jpg

Really no other sports car out there for me on the market right now. Everything's got a release window of 2017.

There really isn't anything out there covering the 50-70k range outside of a. C7 Corvette.

boltz

Yes, I'd replace them. I like to replace mine a couple times a year at least.

As for your last question: yes and no. It really depends on your specific motor and usage. I don't think you'd notice much of a difference between some cheaper plugs and more expensive ones on a car like a Focus. I think as long as it performs like OEM, you'll be fine.

Whoa, a couple times a year? What would cause you to consume that quantity of spark plugs?

boltz

OEM for a '12 Focus is an Iridium plug, go with the Motocraft SP535. Copper or platinum won't perform as well. Also, iridium plugs are rated to 100k miles, so it's worth the price of admission. NGK is the only other alternative you should consider.

Cool, that should mean I still have some life in my current set as I haven't had any issues yet with them.

Evo X

Smokey

I think I'm going to get a 2014 corolla that has 23k miles

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't go through with with this

I can't

Halp

Alpha, no love, mk, evo,jackson, ghg ...someone...anyone ...pls save me

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't

Halp

You make me sick. AlphaSnake ain't saving shit.

lem0n

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't

Halp

It's a smart move. As long as something bigger, badder, and meaner is on the horizon, I support this motion. It's a stepping stone to greatness. Also, because it's 100% trouble-free motoring, you can drive and save, drive and save. I personally would go with an Accord around that vintage, possibly a year or two older, only because some came with a slick 6-speed manual.

Smokey

You make me sick. AlphaSnake ain't saving shit.

:(

It's a smart move. As long as something bigger, badder, and meaner is on the horizon, I support this motion. It's a stepping stone to greatness. Also, because it's 100% trouble-free motoring, you can drive and save, drive and save. I personally would go with an Accord around that vintage, possibly a year or two older, only because some came with a slick 6-speed manual.

Yes. This is exactly the plan. Come back in 2 years or so with something bad as fuk that would make even jackson jealous. Moving out of the city and into the boondocks . Next step is preparing for a house to be built and then I plan to return with a beast to park in my stable.

but in the present my soul is hurting :(

Only reason I'm not looking at an Accord is my wife has a 2014 v6 coupe. So i feel like we already have that covered.

Come on Alpha, Don't get a shitty Corolla.
There's plenty of used cars around that price point that you can go and get that will have the features that you want. Trust me on this.

lem0n

:(

Yes. This is exactly the plan. Come back in 2 years or so with something bad as fuk that would make even jackson jealous. Moving out of the city and into the boondocks . Next step is preparing for a house to be built and then I plan to return with a beast to park in my stable.

but in the present my soul is hurting :(

Only reason I'm not looking at an Accord is my wife has a 2014 v6 coupe. So i feel like we already have that covered.

Don't listen to the haters here man, it's the right move. In your particular situation, you need something reliable, cheap, and able to take 100 miles a day with no issues. On top of that, nothing will make you work hard and save harder for your dream car than driving an appliance such as a Corolla. Once you are ready, you will be able to nearly make your money back on it, and drive that Z06/GTS whatever it is you want, with no regrets. Oh, and I also just thought of it, why not a lightly used TDI Jetta/Passat? Those are perfect for eating miles.

EDIT: Or, one of these!! I know, I know. But if you can comfortably sit in one, it's worth a look.

1b.jpg

Yeah the Jetty/Passat sounds good.
As does the Mazda3
The Honda Fit
The Elantra
Kia Forte.

Take you pick man. Any of these will last you until you want to get your next car.

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't

Halp

If you're getting an econobox just please please don't get a Corolla. I had a 2009 and while it was a great car for abusing the shit out of, the driving dynamics is practically non-existent. Then there's also this:

This was a family member's Corolla... well, mine actually before we sold it. But anyway, she got hit on that spot, car flipped over and no airbags went off. Thankfully she's okay but I shudder to think how it could've gotten worse since the airbags never went off after a hit and flip.

Besides the accident, the car still had it's own issues... creaks and squeaks here and there. Seats that felt like they were made in the 80's(there's no support whatsoever), the steering wheel was made of hard plastic, brake pedal modulation doesn't exist, and again no driving dynamics.

Why not get a Mazda 3 or 6?

Putting my Mazda fanboyism aside, those cars are fan-fncking-tastic. They're much more luxurious than a Corolla, driving dynamics are fncking amazing for a FWD car, and they're pretty damn reliable as well. Seriously, my driveway has a 2010 Mazda3, 2006 Mazda6, 2013 Mazdaspeed3, my 2006 Miata, and my sister just got her 2016 CX-5 yesterday. Best of all, no issues on them whatsoever besides the usual battery, tires and oil change.

Now I will say that I'm a bit of a Mazda fanboy as many of y'all know, but honestly, they're just great, fun and reliable cars. Otherwise, even my family wouldn't really be into them. Of course we're also looking at other brands but we keep coming back to Mazda because none of them offer the same driving dynamics, reliability and cost. Seriously. That CX-5 cost them $28k and it's the top of the line model with the premium package.

And of course I'm seconding the suggestion of the Miata. Thanks for giving me the excuse to post a pic of mine Amputechture! :D

Got mine for about $13k 3 years ago... and in that 3 years the only "issue" I had are the blown shocks... but of course you have to change the shocks anyway at 60,000 miles or after 8 years of use so I really don't consider it an issue, but an excuse to upgrade and make it better lol.

Smokey, lemme know if you wanna test drive a decently-modded Miata sometime. I need to hit up Houston one of these days anyway to get some decent Filipino food lol.

mkenyon

Banned

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't

Halp

Gross.

Why not just up the price a bit and pay that shit off in a year?

ZjBkGwY.png

Q6fjBhK.png

The Corolla is like the automotive equivalent of Crocs. You're giving up on life at that point.

If you want something Corolla-esque, at least get the Mazda 3.

paskowitz

I found a 2005 Mazda 6 with 87k miles for...6.3k

If you just need a beater car, Acura TL or Honda Accord. Seriously. Won't break, doesn't drain your soul, cheap to own. You will pay a little more upfront since Honda/Acura have high resale, but it is worth it.

Non turbo Subarus are also good options.

Small anecdote... most people don't know this but (at least as of a couple years ago) Subarus are the #1 selling "second/third" car with (models w/ MSRP under $40k) high income households (>$500k/yr) in the US.

No Love

Banned
It's actually a great sports car though.

Not for $155k. Audi R8 V10, 911 Turbo, 911 GT3, the new NSX, etc can all be had for that price range. No way I'd spend that on a 1st generation BMW electric hybrid sports car.

God, how many miles do you do a year? Replacing spark plugs like air filters is not necessary, unless of course you do a ton of miles and use copper/nickel core plugs. Also, the direct injection engine in the new Foci are pretty advanced, so you really should stick to OEM iridium plugs. If we're talking 1st gen SOHC motors, then yeah, any old copper will do.

I tihnk you're right about the OEM iridiums if it's a DI engine like that. My bad.

Whoa, a couple times a year? What would cause you to consume that quantity of spark plugs?

Well, on E85 it can cause the spark plugs to foul out sooner so I'd just run coppers gapped correctly and do them every 3-5k miles lol.

Now I usually change them every 20-30k if the car isn't on E85. Gotta gap 'em properly too, that's IMO something a lot of people fuck up on.

No Love

Banned

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't

Halp

Honestly dude, get either a 2004-2006 Acura TL 6 speed or a 2007-2008 Acura TL Type S 6 speed.

1. Uber reliable, fun to drive, got modern shit like Bluetooth and navi, amazing MPG, still looks pretty, and CHEAP. You can get 04-06 TL 6MT's for $5-8k all day. They get 30+ mpg on the freeway (I did 28 mpg avg in mine on the way to Vegas with 4 people in the car and the trunk full of luggage going 75 MPH the whole way) and do the 1/4 mile at high 13's trapping aorund 100 mph, so it's actually about as fast as your 335i (remember, your 335i convertible is a 4000 lb fat bitch making 270 whp. These make 230-250 whp but only weigh around 3500-3600 lbs).

For the money, it's an insane commuter. Just do it. They're hard to find but by far one of the best deals for a commuter car around. Also, your gumpy ass can learn how to drive stick finally.

Little known fact about me: my beater is an uber-rare 2003 Acura CL Type S 6 speed (Same motor/trans as the 3G TL 6MT), one of 3500 made. And the 3G TL 6MT is an even better car (I had one as a beater long ago), and my cousin had one as well.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4999344914.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5018036126.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4982663274.html

Don't be scared of high mileage either. These cars will drive to 300-400k miles no problem. Also, when you sell it, you can get what you paid for it, even if you put 20-40k miles on it.

P.S. Throw an exhaust on it and you'll hear glorious music every day. One of the best V6's I've ever heard.

Honestly dude, get either a 2004-2006 Acura TL 6 speed or a 2007-2008 Acura TL Type S 6 speed.

1. Uber reliable, fun to drive, got modern shit like Bluetooth and navi, amazing MPG, still looks pretty, and CHEAP. You can get 04-06 TL 6MT's for $5-8k all day. They get 30+ mpg on the freeway and do the 1/4 mile at high 13's trapping aorund 100 mph, so it's actually about as fast as your 335i (remember, your 335i convertible is a 4000 lb fat bitch making 270 whp. These make 230-250 whp but only weigh around 3500-3600 lbs).

For the money, it's an insane commuter. Just do it. They're hard to find but by far one of the best deals for a commuter car around. Also, your gumpy ass can learn how to drive stick finally.

Little known fact about me: my beater is an uber-rare 2003 Acura CL Type S 6 speed (Same motor/trans as the 3G TL 6MT), one of 3500 made. And the 3G TL 6MT is an even better car (I had one as a beater long ago), and my cousin had one as well.

Don't be scared of high mileage either. These cars will drive to 300-400k miles no problem. Also, when you sell it, you can get what you paid for it, even if you put 20-40k miles on it.

P.S. Throw an exhaust on it and you'll hear glorious music every day. One of the best V6's I've ever heard.

Solid advice right here.

lem0n

1. Uber reliable, fun to drive, got modern shit like Bluetooth and navi, amazing MPG, still looks pretty, and CHEAP. You can get 04-06 TL 6MT's for $5-8k all day. They get 30+ mpg on the freeway (I did 28 mpg avg in mine on the way to Vegas with 4 people in the car and the trunk full of luggage going 75 MPH the whole way) and do the 1/4 mile at high 13's trapping aorund 100 mph, so it's actually about as fast as your 335i (remember, your 335i convertible is a 4000 lb fat bitch making 270 whp. These make 230-250 whp but only weigh around 3500-3600 lbs).

TL 6-speed is a great choice, too. Corolla makes sense as I've said, but you can still find a car a little more driver-oriented for about the same price, and just as reliable.

Jackson

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't

Halp

Wait what happened? Weren't you looking at a used M6 a while back? Or was that someone else...

Listen to this man!

It's a solid fun car, that will last...

...and you can finally learn to drive stick

Then you can grab something you REALLY want in a year or two (or whenever you decide to make the purchase).

mkenyon

Banned
Judging from how crap Bluetooth can be in modern cars how is it on a car from 06? Is it A2DP (music streaming) as well?
Personally, I can't stand streaming bluetooth audio. So many pops and crackles. I'm not one who is typically sensitive to that sort of thing either.

Gimmie a cable plz.

ameratsu

Personally, I can't stand streaming bluetooth audio. So many pops and crackles. I'm not one who is typically sensitive to that sort of thing either.

Gimmie a cable plz.

FWIW, i have an aftermarket pioneer stereo with bt audio in my car, and i get no pops and crackles. I also have a crappy $30 bluetooth portable speaker that pops and crackles like crazy every song change. Don't think it's a universal bluetooth audio thing, probably down to the devices you're using.

mkenyon

Banned
FWIW, i have an aftermarket pioneer stereo with bt audio in my car, and i get no pops and crackles. I also have a crappy $30 bluetooth portable speaker that pops and crackles like crazy every song change. Don't think it's a universal bluetooth audio thing, probably down to the devices you're using.
Was like that in my Forrester, like that currently in my EX35. Moto X, HTC One, and recent gen iPod Touch.

My music is the high bitrate Spotify stuff.

Anecdotal, for sure, but it has me pretty dubious.

Top Bottom