• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

So I went to get my car appraised at a couple of places. Got 12.5k and 12k offers. KBB has 14k down for 08 e93 @ 90k miles in good condition.

Worth it to try and sell privately or nah

Dealing with tire kickers and time wasters is the WORST. Lots of excuses and "I'll have the money by x period, so hold it for me".

With that difference in cost, I would just take it. If you're buying a car from them, try to negotiate a bit more for the trade in.

Smokey

Grats on the BRZ

naw son lol

Dealing with tire kickers and time wasters is the WORST. Lots of excuses and "I'll have the money by x period, so hold it for me".

With that difference in cost, I would just take it. If you're buying a car from them, try to negotiate a bit more for the trade in.

Yeah that's what i figured. The hardest part might be letting go tbh. This was my first big purchase out of school 4+ years ago . Made a ton of mistakes during the buying process though which is reflected in my note.

Kind of just want to sell it and wash my hands of it tbh. Overall I probably wasted a lot of money , but I had fun for 4+ years with it. Plus I know what not to do on my next luxury car purchase. Experience and all that.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
naw son lol

Yeah that's what i figured. The hardest part might be letting go tbh. This was my first big purchase out of school 4+ years ago . Made a ton of mistakes during the buying process though which is reflected in my note.

Kind of just want to sell it and wash my hands of it tbh. Overall I probably wasted a lot of money , but I had fun for 4+ years with it. Plus I know what not to do on my next luxury car purchase. Experience and all that.

Trade it into the dealership. You'll also get tax added to it, so it'll come out to around $13.4K~ once all is said and done. Selling a car privately is a pain in the ass.

Smokey

Trade it into the dealership. You'll also get tax added to it, so it'll come out to around $13.4K~ once all is said and done. Selling a car privately is a pain in the ass.

Is that tax added if you buy another car from them rather than just selling it out right to them ?

GHG

Gold Member
naw son lol

If I can offer any advice it's not to sell it without having test driven anything else and chosen a car you want.

I went through a similar thing with my x6 a couple of months ago, test drove a few things with the idea of just cutting my losses and getting rid of it but my god other newer cars in the price range I could sell it for ($25k) were just not good in terms of comfort and refinement.

If you are doing a longer commute as I do then you need to love the car you sit in for a couple of hours each day and be comfortable. If not you'll just end up hating driving and hating life. Next you'll be advocating self-driving cars. You don't want that.

I'm not saying don't sell it. Just don't sell it without a clear plan and being 100% certain that you'll be happy with what you get next.

AlphaSnake

If you buy a car for $30000 and trade in a car for $13000 at the same dealership, you only pay tax on the $17000.

Are you sure about this? I thought it was only when you buy another car from the same place.

I've never done it personally, but from what I've been told, dealerships have to pay a tax on your car as well. Most dealers usually quote an all-in price, though. But when they draw up the paper work, they'll usually start tallying it out.

mkenyon

Banned
naw son lol
Smokey wants to be a PC enthusiast baller with two cards. Buys a plastic case and a Corsair AIO cooler.

Smokey wants to drive a fast car. Buys an auto BMW cabrio.

Smokey wants to finally drive a sports car. Buys a $15k Corolla for commuting.

giphy.gif

my friends always said I was good at peer pressure

So I just got a hands-on on a fully electric vehicle that's not a golf cart. It was the Ford Focus Electric. Who the hell would be dumb enough to buy one of these? It's only capable of going 70 miles of a full charge. That thing's gonna sit here and collect dust.

Smokey

Smokey wants to be a PC enthusiast baller with two cards. Buys a plastic case and a Corsair AIO cooler.

Smokey wants to drive a fast car. Buys an auto BMW cabrio.

Smokey wants to finally drive a sports car. Buys a $15k Corolla for commuting.

giphy.gif

my friends always said I was good at peer pressure

MiSj2KG.gif

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It has the same profile of the Camaro that's out now.

From what I've seen, It's going to be the front that's going to look moderately different.

Well, they did spend 350 hours in the wind tunnel, sometimes at 24 hours at a time, to reduce lift and get that 30 percent optimization, and all the changes underneath (magnetic shocks, LT1 V8, Alpha platform) are going to elevate it from good to awesome.

I just need to know if it's going to have an eight-speed automatic, and if it's going to have safety features like blind spot monitoring.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, they did spend 350 hours in the wind tunnel, sometimes at 24 hours at a time, to reduce lift and get that 30 percent optimization, and all the changes underneath (magnetic shocks, LT1 V8, Alpha platform) are going to elevate it from good to awesome.

I just need to know if it's going to have an eight-speed automatic, and if it's going to have safety features like blind spot monitoring.
isn't that what necks are for?

grendelrt

If you buy a car for $30000 and trade in a car for $13000 at the same dealership, you only pay tax on the $17000.

Are you sure about this? I thought it was only when you buy another car from the same place.
That's not true in VA, you pay car sales tax on the sale price of the car even if you have a trade in.

AlphaSnake

Blind-spots in cars like Camaros don't prevent you from seeing cars near you. They prevent you from seeing civilians walking nearby, obscured by the pillars of the car. Blind-spot monitoring systems won't do shit in that regard.

My friend rented a Camaro for a day once and as long as you setup the mirrors properly, I was able to switch lanes and not be worried about cars in blind-spots at all. Everything was perfectly visible. But people? That's a whole other concern.

Also, your brain will eventually tune the blind spot system out. The little lights and beeps will largely go unnoticed by the driver after a week. I have it in all of my cars, including my parents...don't notice it in any of them.

The best implementation of this is in my Infiniti, where you're veering into a lane with a car that's too close, the car will pinch the brakes a little bit to guide you away from a collision. That actually works splendidly and it's never incorrect either. Other cars will vibrate the steering wheel.

So I just got a hands-on on a fully electric vehicle that's not a golf cart. It was the Ford Focus Electric. Who the hell would be dumb enough to buy one of these? It's only capable of going 70 miles of a full charge. That thing's gonna sit here and collect dust.

The Leaf only does 70-80 and they sell like hotcakes. It's fine for people whose commutes are like 30-40 miles a day.

Hell, even I've been considering a Volt just so I can go in the carpool lane and skip traffic *_*

Even if you charge every night your cost is probably like $25-30 a month total. For people with short commutes it's a no brainer.

matmanx1

best/reliable used car under 15k

go

I'm a day late and a dollar short on this so apologies but if you absolutely have to dump your 335i then most likely anything under 15k is going to be a big step down, performance wise. You probably realize that already but most other cars just aren't as refined and as performance oriented as the BMW (I say that as someone who's gone from an IS 250 to a G37 to a 128i in the last 4 years). The BMW has the best overall driving dynamics and is more engaging than most.

So if I had to replace my car right now I'd want something that is still fun but very different. I would look at the Mazda 3 5 door or an Acura from around 2006 (RSX Type S!) with my preference on the Acura. And yeah, definitely get one with a manual transmission. I know traffic stinks but you would be surprised how much more engaging and fun it is to drive even a "slow" car once you can row your own gears.

Good luck!

Have any of you driven the new model WRX?

What do you think of it? It feels heavy, like you feel every pound of the car, it feels very sedanish. The turbo was nice, and I like the digital turbo display, any thoughts?

STI only comes in stick right?

Lease was 2k down 380 per month or something like that. A little high, but that was with no haggling.

Im want to help my fiance get one.

mkenyon

Banned

What do you think of it? It feels heavy, like you feel every pound of the car, it feels very sedanish. The turbo was nice, and I like the digital turbo display, any thoughts?

Lease was 2k down 380 per month or something like that. A little high, but that was with no haggling.

STI or regular WRX?

STI still has the EJ25 which is a blessing and a curse. On the bright side, it still has hydraulic steering. On the not as bright side, it's not a great engine.

matmanx1

I wanted to drive one when I was shopping a few weeks ago but they were a little bit out of my price range and I really did not want to take the depreciation hit on a brand new car so I ultimately passed on it.

For what it is worth I've seen a few around town here and they look much better in person than they do in pictures. Still not "pretty" but certainly not ugly either. The performance is legit and so is the practicality but nearly all of the reviews say stay away from the CVT transmission. It robs a lot of the performance of the car.

If you have to have an automatic transmission the GTI in the same price range has a good unit (although the service bill it will require is somewhat nasty).

One of my coworkers bought the automatic WRX. I drove it.

It's bad. Sacrilegious, almost. The fake gears just don't feel good, and "shifting" with paddles is not that responsive.

A GTI may be better in that price range.

Smokey

I'm a day late and a dollar short on this so apologies but if you absolutely have to dump your 335i then most likely anything under 15k is going to be a big step down, performance wise. You probably realize that already but most other cars just aren't as refined and as performance oriented as the BMW (I say that as someone who's gone from an IS 250 to a G37 to a 128i in the last 4 years). The BMW has the best overall driving dynamics and is more engaging than most.

Honestly this is why I always end up backing off. I also haven't done any mods and I feel like I should at least do that before getting rid of it.

Taking it to a BMW shop tomorrow and having them do a run down on the car and what kind of shape it's in. Already got my service records , so after this I should have a better idea of the stare of the car.

I drove my brothers new STI a bit yesterday after not having been in it for a while. He's had his 15' for almost a year now with no issues besides the gas door getting stuck.

Feels so much sportier than my M3. Way better steering. Sport or sport plus steering on the M3 really don't compare.

M3 still pulls much harder obviously but there's a clear difference between the two in terms of handling and drive.

FStop7

Banned
I've been in Europe (southern France) for the past week... got another week to go.

Europe... you have some cool ass cars.

SO many Audis. Audis seem to outnumber BMW about 5 to 1. Maybe more. I have yet to see an M anything, but lots of S variant Audis.

The new A3/S3 hatch is super cool. I saw a really well done A1 Quattro in Monte Carlo.

Speaking of Monaco, they're in the process of setting up the circuit for next week's GP. I'm going to go back and walk the circuit, take photos of all the famous corners, etc.

So far the most exotic car I've seen is a 458 spider. Honestly, I see more exotics on a daily basis in Los Angeles. And more honestly - I'm burnt out on exotics, anyway. I got WAY hyped when I saw a very nice RHD JCW Mini with GB plates, though. Or a hopped up Renault Megane.

boltz

Hi guys, been on the gaming side of GAF for a few years but only recently ventured in this side and saw this thread.

I am glad I found this thread because there isn't the crazy fanboyism you would find in your typical car specific forum.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Personally I am a fan of practical performance cars in the $20-40k range (namely hot hatches) since I would drive something I can cart around friends or family in and that price range forces the auto makers to use their engineering and manufacturing skills to come up with their best balance of performance, comfort, and features.

Also got a question for you guys. I have a '12 Focus with about 85k miles. Should I be considering replacing my spark plugs even if I haven't had any issues with them? And if I do, are the more expensive spark plugs worth the price?

No Love

Banned
Hi guys, been on the gaming side of GAF for a few years but only recently ventured in this side and saw this thread.

I am glad I found this thread because there isn't the crazy fanboyism you would find in your typical car specific forum.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Personally I am a fan of practical performance cars in the $20-40k range (namely hot hatches) since I would drive something I can cart around friends or family in and that price range forces the auto makers to use their engineering and manufacturing skills to come up with their best balance of performance, comfort, and features.

Also got a question for you guys. I have a '12 Focus with about 85k miles. Should I be considering replacing my spark plugs even if I haven't had any issues with them? And if I do, are the more expensive spark plugs worth the price?

Yes, I'd replace them. I like to replace mine a couple times a year at least.

As for your last question: yes and no. It really depends on your specific motor and usage. I don't think you'd notice much of a difference between some cheaper plugs and more expensive ones on a car like a Focus. I think as long as it performs like OEM, you'll be fine.

negitoro7

So recently became single, and deciding whether or not to get a "screw it, impractical sporty car". If I do, it'll be between the ND miata or BRZ. Too bad I'm upside down on my GTI car loan :/

Smokey

Went to BMW dealership to get my service records...they had a used i8 w/ about 500 miles on it:

17619194925_4db28ae2a0_h.jpg

17431339278_32b4365616_h.jpg

155k. Sat in it. Lawd it was so nice inside and out ;_;

Smokey

So recently became single, and deciding whether or not to get a "screw it, impractical sporty car". If I do, it'll be between the ND miata or BRZ. Too bad I'm upside down on my GTI car loan :/

You're emotional right now. Don't to anything at the moment.

Makki

I did exactly that with exactly the same switch, an MKVI GTI to an FRS with negative equity and a payment that would get me a luxury car otherwise... DONT

It's a huge mistake fueled by you wanting to make a big change, focus somewhere else. I still miss my old GTI and 300 and change dollar payments.

negitoro7

Thanks guys, I'll probably wait til at least the ND MX5 test drives become available. Smart move would be just to keep for a few years and pay it off first, then be in a position to get something much nicer (current dream car is M235i).

Evo X

Thanks guys, I'll probably wait til at least the ND MX5 test drives become available. Smart move would be just to keep for a few years and pay it off first, then be in a position to get something much nicer (current dream car is M235i).

Lease special running on BMWs website for an M235i right now is only $479/mo for 36 months.

Hell, if you negotiate, you might even be able to score yourself a better deal.

I'd kill for a car payment that low.

Top Bottom