• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

lem0n

My wife and I just bought one of these, the Dynamique model with all the trimmings.

http://www.renault.com.au/vehicles/cars/captur/captur/dynamique#features

We've got a 3-door Suzuki Grand Vitara that has been fine but is way to small so this is a nice middle ground (don't want a big car).

Can't wait - and of course we got it in the quirky orange :)

rena11v0.jpg

That thing is pretty cool. I like new Renault design language. Very funky.

Evo X

No Love is on the money on this one, Smokey. Check out a TL Type S.

My first car 11 years ago was an 02 TL Type S and I had a fucking blast with that thing.

Also, personal update.

Dealer called and said no GT4 for me this year. ;(

Said I can get a Spyder allocation for November with December delivery if I want.

What the fuck and I supposed to do with a hardcore convertible sports car with a fussy manual top in the dead middle of winter in Chicago?

Shoudn't have sold my Boxster S so soon. ;_;

MisterNoisy

I think I'm going to get a 2014 corolla that has 23k miles

fuk

Fukkkkkkkk

I can't go through with with this

I can't

Halp

Alpha, no love, mk, evo,jackson, ghg ...someone...anyone ...pls save me

The time spent in that little penalty box is time working back up towards what you want.

[flame suit on]

That said, I've never understood the hate towards the Corolla - it's cheap, it does the job that it's intended to do (cheap reliable transportation) better than anything else on the planet, and the resale is absurd, especially if you buy used and maintain it. It's the cheapest modern car to own (all inclusive) by a country mile and its only peer in that regard is the Honda Civic.

What I really like about the Corolla is that it's completely without pretense, and a lot of so-called car enthusiasts could learn a bit from spending some time in an honest little commuter. It's better at being a cheap, worry-free commuter than most sports cars are at their intended missions by a long shot.

MisterNoisy

Because it sucks the joy out of driving.

Fair enough. that said, for me, driving is its own reward - the choice of car can make it better, but the experience still retains the essential things that make it something I enjoy, regardless of the vehicle I'm in.

Even when I was sentenced to a rental Aveo in fucking Omaha, I still enjoyed the time I spent on the road.

lem0n

The time spent in that little penalty box is time working back up towards what you want.

[flame suit on]

That said, I've never understood the hate towards the Corolla - it's cheap, it does the job that it's intended to do (cheap reliable transportation) better than anything else on the planet, and the resale is absurd, especially if you buy used and maintain it. It's the cheapest modern car to own (all inclusive) by a country mile and its only peer in that regard is the Honda Civic.

What I really like about the Corolla is that it's completely without pretense, and a lot of so-called car enthusiasts could learn a bit from spending some time in an honest little commuter. It's better at being a cheap, worry-free commuter than most sports cars are at their intended missions by a long shot.
Thank you. Got a lot of Jalopnik car guys here that think its the devil, but I appreciate any car that does its job perfectly.

Ty4on

Personally, I can't stand streaming bluetooth audio. So many pops and crackles. I'm not one who is typically sensitive to that sort of thing either.

Gimmie a cable plz.

I've never had that issue, but I mainly play podcasts through it. Only issue is a brief pause when a notification plays.
I have been forced to use a cable (AUX), but I just like having some control via the steering wheel controls instead of fishing for the phone and having one less thing to worry about when I get in the car for the n'th time. With an AUX cable I also need to pause manually.
Bluetooth is still buggy, but it is the next best I've got. The best was burning it straight to a CD, but even with MP3 support that gets a bit expensive and tedious :p

iPod integration is way better of course, but it's still a device to plug in and out and I'm forced to charge it.

Edit: Regarding the Corolla I've only tried a couple of European spec (modern) Toyotas, but is poor throttle feel a widespread issue? I know all are by wire, but the Toyotas felt especially vague. That might have been made worse by poor clutch feel (high delay I think, didn't feel for it back then).

ameratsu

Fair enough. that said, for me, driving is its own reward - the choice of car can make it better, but the experience still retains the essential things that make it something I enjoy, regardless of the vehicle I'm in.

Even when I was sentenced to a rental Aveo in fucking Omaha, I still enjoyed the time I spent on the road.

I used to drive a 2006 Chevy Uplander as a work vehicle. After 35,000kms that piece was basically falling apart: numerous problems that were totally inexcusable given the mileage. More importantly, the driving characteristics were abysmal compared to my 1999 Integra with far, far more kilometers; made me really appreciate having a car I enjoy driving. As a driver, I can't enjoy a vehicle that sucks at everything except being an appliance.

At the end of the day, I would not spend my own money on something that while cheap and reliable and is effectively anti-fun, from a driving perspective. Why not cheap, reliable, and fun?

ruxtpin

Banned

Haha yup. I routinely am given Corollas as rental cars when traveling for work and toss the shit out of them (it ain't mine!), and my daily up until last year was a 2006 Corolla. My primary gripe with mine was the fact I bought it from my parents on the cheap, it had no power anything (windows or locks) and didn't have cruise control. I got over 100k miles on mine before trading it in for my current car, a 2014 VW GLI.

Thank you. Got a lot of Jalopnik car guys here that think its the devil, but I appreciate any car that does its job perfectly.

Hey now... besides the Miata no one's mentioned a brown diesel wagon, and almost all of us here can actually afford the cars we criticize unlike the Jalopnik commentariat who can't even afford to buy a $200 PT Cruiser.

Kidding aside, I do agree that the Corolla can be a stepping stone to a better future, but it needs to be a car that doesn't feel like a major downgrade and that's something the Corolla can't achieve... it'll feel like a major downgrade no matter what way you put it, and you're just gonna hate yourself for getting it instead of looking at other more fun options.

If he was going from a Pontiac Aztek to a Corolla, then it might actually be fine... but from a 3-series to a Corolla? Yeah... even divine intervention can't make you hate yourself from downgrading to that lol.

mkenyon

Banned
If he was going from a Pontiac Aztek to a Corolla, then it might actually be fine... but from a 3-series to a Corolla? Yeah... even divine intervention can't make you hate yourself from downgrading to that lol.
Yeah, this is the essence of it.

Plus, I just put myself in that situation. I can name like at least 20 cars I'd rather have (and have had) over the Corolla. Not really a hater thing, just that since this is a thread for people who enjoy Automobiles, there's obvious better choices.

If it were for someone who doesn't care about automobiles, and just wants a solid hammer to hammer some nails, the Corolla would of course be mentioned.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My friend went from an F-Type V8S...to a Prius.

He doesn't have many friends left who look at him and don't laugh. He catches so much shit for it it's crazy. Facebook. Work. Hangouts. Etc.

Jackson

because reasons

probably life reasons

I drove a rented Prius from LA to Seattle in a single day from John Wayne Airport when our flight was delayed with 3 other friends. It was with a horrible driving experience even if we only filled up twice.

I mean... It was tons of fun with the friends, but the driving. The lack of torque. The steering feel. Oh man so bad.

My daily car :) And it's a manual. 2000 model, never broken down apart from 2 flat batteries. Now has 160k kms.

Evo X

I drove a rented Prius from LA to Seattle in a single day from John Wayne Airport when our flight was delayed with 3 other friends. It was with a horrible driving experience even if we only filled up twice.

I mean... It was tons of fun with the friends, but the driving. The lack of torque. The steering feel. Oh man so bad.

I don't think anyone is buying a Prius for torque and driving feel. lol

Jackson

I don't think anyone is buying a Prius for torque and driving feel. lol

Well no. Just saying, its about as fun to drive as eating plain, dry toast.You go from a bad ass British muscle car to toast with no jam!

I guess if fuel eco is hurting your daily commute or something...

Ok, after some bullshit with the first dealership, I ordered the Willys Jeep from the dealer in the next town over yesterday afternoon. Going to be a long 6~ weeks.

ruxtpin

Banned
You could also look at the Corolla as a challenge. It actually has a modding scene - albeit pretty small. I wonder how the car would drive with reworked suspension and some bolt-on horsepower upgrades.

Ty4on

Well no. Just saying, its about as fun to drive as eating plain, dry toast.You go from a bad ass British muscle car to toast with no jam!

I guess if fuel eco is hurting your daily commute or something...

I'm probably the only person here who loves hypermiling and there are tons of tricks when driving the Prius :p
It's not because of the fuel costs. I don't own a car and have never paid for fuel.

Happens in games as well. I think I got quite far around the ring in Gran Turismo on EV power alone before I got bored. That last hill was painful.

Smokey

I had a 2004 corolla that I traded in for wife's accord. Probably why I lean towards it for a eco box

Corolla fam stand up !

Lol funny enough I was looking to "upgrade or downgrade" from my frs to a new Corolla. I can't do two doors anymore.

Been doing this the last year for my Miata actually.

I've been wanting something that has 4 seats, a stick and is as fast as the Miata but there's only 2 cars that are close to that. A 3-series or a G35/37 and even then none of them are really cheap, hence why I'm wanting to get a Wrangler lol.

You could also look at the Corolla as a challenge. It actually has a modding scene - albeit pretty small. I wonder how the car would drive with reworked suspension and some bolt-on horsepower upgrades.

Very very small.

I tried to get into its modding scene when I had my 'rolla and parts either are expensive or non-existent. You can lower it, add stiffer springs, better shocks, coilovers, whatever you wanna do, but it can't fix the fact that it's a utilitarian FWD car. The best they could do is to lessen the understeer, but it still got outmatched on corners by a base model Mazda3, Civic Si... and any of it's "sportier" rivals.

Power wise, none of the bolt-ons worked and at that time no one made an header/midpipe/exhaust for it and sold it mass market, so you had to go to a shop and get them to fabricate one for you. Right before I left the 'rolla scene, there was actually a couple of people at the ToyotaNation forums who were in the process of building a turbo for it. I tried to see what's up even after I got my Miata, but I don't think it actually went through.

The last Corolla in NA with any sort of measurable performance was the XRS. And that was only so they could get rid of all the extra 2ZZ engines they couldn't sell in the Matrix.

mkenyon

Banned
But it's basically the same price as a Mazda 3. Or Impreza. Or Focus. The Fiesta is cheaper.

That's like going out of your way to spend the same money on a X-Box One, Wii U, AND a PS4 when you could just have a ballin' PC for what you spent. Why pick the objectively worse choice?

shots fired

Why not get a Mazda3 or Fiesta? Also, the biggest is just making sure your loan is good if you get one. I have been saving money to buy a car outright. I am using it as my negotiating tool. Student loans scarred me for life so I am always wary of putting on more debt.

boltz

For a compact commuter, already some good suggestions, I'll just throw out a couple more as food for thought.

I like the Fit as the always amaze me how much room you have when you get into one and people seem to think it is fun to drive . I see plenty of modded Fits around here so it seems like there is a decent mod scene for it.

I've really enjoyed my '12 Focus for its handling and nice interior (the base model ones are not so great with the num pad and tiny info screen) , but it's not going to stand up to a Toyota or Honda in terms of reliability and resale value.

kagete

47 miles each way for 6 months? No way you should get a corolla. I admire what you're doing looking into a cheaper Corolla, but stepping down from a 3-series for a longer commute will be terrible. Just get an Acura or Infiniti thats a few years old like everyone has already suggested. After two years you can sell it at a thousand dollar loss and then buy the sports car you really want. For that sort of commute a v6 camry or accord would be the minimum i'd look at. good luck dude

Bandit1

So uh, that 2016 Camaro leaked. Twinturbo says not to post so I won't. Google search it.

Spoilers:
Dat evolutionary design

AlphaSnake

It's gonna be awesome. I want to see the surprise.

LMAO!!! It looks the same. It's basically what the Wii U was to the Wii. 32X to the Genesis. It'll probably drive great and they've made some solid engine choices. But man...it looks...the same with gussied up headlights and taillights.

Wat. Why?!

because reasons

probably life reasons

Indeed. He was leasing it (he was works at Jaguar) for a deeeeeeep discount. $699 a month. But the lease was hurting his credit for some reason and he was looking to buy a new house with his wife. So he got rid of it and got the Prius. He regrets it, because he's still spending the same FINANCING the Prius as he did the Jag. He has a big ass Land Rover LR4 though which he enjoys.

So uh, that 2016 Camaro leaked. Twinturbo says not to post so I won't. Google search it.

Spoilers:
Dat evolutionary design

It looks so generic. LOL. It will drive great though, I'll put money it. It'll shit all over the Mustang.

Nissan GTR going "on notice" board :DDD

Nissan is redoing the entire GTR. It will be lower, sleeker, smaller to compete with the NSX. It'll be a true hypercar.

mkenyon

Banned
It might bee too evolutionary, but the hood and front end look pretty fucking fantastic, IMO.
Profile picture says "LOL ENJOY HITTING PEOPLE IN SUPERMARKETS. GET IT WITH THE BACKUP CAMERA PEASANT"
Yeah, now that I've had it on my EX35 (which is the best system I've used, the top down view is beyond stupidly good), I can't live without it.

AlphaSnake

It might bee too evolutionary, but the hood and front end look pretty fucking fantastic, IMO.

Yeah, now that I've had it on my EX35 (which is the best system I've used, the top down view is beyond stupidly good), I can't live without it.

Strangely my M56S didn't have that option in 2013. But the 2015 ones now do.

On the other hand, the backup camera on my car is craaaaazy wide angle. I can see at least 50 feet to the left and right of my car in parking lots.

Top Bottom