• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ascii42

What time is the Camaro getting officially unveiled today? I've seen the leaks, but am looking forward to product shots (and shots of the interior).

My next car had been between (if I don't end up with a wrangler) the Camaro SS or Challenger RT, and the 2015 Dodge's updated interior put it way ahead of the Chevy option. I'd love a Camaro, and think it's a great car... But the 5th gen has one of the worst interiors I've sat in.
4 PM eastern, I believe

ascii42

Well, here it is
The sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro revealed today offers higher levels of performance, technology and refinement and is designed to maintain the sporty car segment leadership earned over the past five years.

The Gen Six Camaro provides a faster, more nimble driving experience, enabled by an all-new, lighter architecture and a broader powertrain range. Six all-new powertrain combinations are offered, including a 2.0L Turbo, an all-new 3.6L V-6 and the LT1 6.2L V-8, which is SAE-certified at 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 455 lb-ft of torque (617 Nm) – for the most powerful Camaro SS ever. Each engine is available with a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission.

Camaro’s leaner, stiffer platform and slightly smaller dimensions are accentuated by a dramatic, sculpted exterior. Meticulously tuned in the wind tunnel, the exterior contributes to performance through reduced aerodynamic lift for better handling while enhancing efficiency.

A driver-focused interior integrates class-leading control technologies, including a new Driver Mode Selector, configurable instrument cluster and a customizable ambient lighting feature.

“Redesigning the Camaro is thrilling and challenging all at once, but the secret is to offer something more,” said Mark Reuss, General Motors executive vice president of Product Development. “For Camaro enthusiasts, it retains iconic design cues and offers even more performance. For a new generation of buyers, the 2016 Camaro incorporates our most innovative engineering ideas with finely honed performance and leading design.”

Only two parts carry over from the fifth-generation Camaro to the new Gen Six: the rear bowtie emblem and the SS badge.
Camaro-2016-5.jpg

Camaro-2016-6.jpg

Camaro-2016-3.jpg

Camaro-2016-2.jpg

Camaro-2016-4.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Also prefer the Mustang exterior over this. But the Camaro's interior is much better.

I think Chevy will regain its sales lead over the Mustang again

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yup, I think the new Camaro is a knockout.

My biggest concern was the interior; and I'm thankfully very happy with how it turned out. Looks like a huge step up from the fifth gen's. The 2015 interior, even with its enhancements over the years is just utter trash. For the 2016, It's not perfect, and I'm sure there are still some cheap materials - but it looks way better. The screen finally looks like it's supposed to be there. The steering wheel no longer looks like it's straight out of a Malibu. The seats look better. Love the new cent placement. Center rest looks more comfortable and driver-centric.

Wheels now look flush, which always bothered me. Front looks mean. Rear still isn't my favorite; but I have a problem with the back end on most cars. Everything just looks more solidly put together and flush. The front end still has that line that runs width wise that makes it look like they "snap on" the grill, which bugs me... But I can overlook it.

200 lbs lighter. 455hp. 450lbft torque. Engine pulled straight from the current corvette.More aerodynamic. Magnetic Ride Control.

The great thing about the Challenger RT is with a little negotiating, you can walk out with a V8, leather, 8.4" UConnect, premium rims, and a solid sound system for like $33-$34K. That's a helluva a lot of car for that price.

I think you get a lot more here if you do it well-specced out; but I imagine it'll approach $40k very quickly. Worth the difference? Very likely. But still a possible ~$7k difference.

Either way, can't wait to test drive it!!! :)

I already have a shit-eating grin on my face.

AlphaSnake

There was a point in time where I remember people arguing with me here and other auto forums that the Camaro interior is nice.

And I specifically said in a few years time when all of the hysterics of the new Camaro will wear away, people will see that shit interior for what it really is, a drab chunk of plastic, with Playskool aesthetics and knobs.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
OMG, I'm squealing in delight at the new Camaro. I want one so badly.

GM did a great job with this one. And it has an eight-speed automatic, which I wanted. Now to dream about what options I want, because I'll be getting one. 2SS for sure, because I want that V8 with all the goodies, eight-speed auto, hopefully there's a shade of yellow on the color menu, and hopefully I can get a different rear spoiler...

ascii42

It'll all depend on how the price and options work out, but I'd probably be looking at a 1SS with a 6MT with the blue exterior and white-accented interior.

boltz

There was a point in time where I remember people arguing with me here and other auto forums that the Camaro interior is nice.

And I specifically said in a few years time when all of the hysterics of the new Camaro will wear away, people will see that shit interior for what it really is, a drab chunk of plastic, with Playskool aesthetics and knobs.

You description pretty much sums up why I don't like GM interiors in general (not to mention too much chrome trim pieces), but I have to give it to them for the job they did with the new Camaro interior. The exterior is still to chunky for my tastes, but I won't be considered complaining about the inside.

Hey guys, so I have a pretty old car that desperately needs some detailing and/or painting. However, I'm also trying to sell it to get a down payment for a new GTI. Do you guys think its worth it before selling or should I not bother?

Also, is Craigslist pretty much the place to sell a car these days? Its a '91 Mustang LX.

AlphaSnake

Whats up with the vents near the shifter? That seems like the worst place to put them.

Man looking at those pics I was thinking how driving a 6MT would piss me the fuck off with a vent constantly blowing hot or cold air at my hand. :\

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
I can't decide if I want to trade my '12 2SS in for it or get a top mount twin turbo kit instead. Either way I really like the changes, especially compared to the '14 refresh (I have a '15 Z/28 as well).

So I was talking to my uncle, and he had a GT2 Porsche a few years ago, and he sold it for a R35. I was talking to him about the new purchase I made, and he surprised me with news of his new purchase...

A damn GT3 Porsche! Ugh I'm super jelly! I hope I get to see him this summer and get some track time in on it!

Sit inside a new Porsche, and it smells like a leather factory,

Sit inside a new Chevy, and it smells like a glue factory.

This is funny... and true...

lmao now that's dirty

Lol.

The blue and the quarter angle shot just gave me real shades of GenCoupe tbh.

I'm not really hating on it, just something I noticed immediately the moment I saw those pics earlier.

Speaking of leather, is there any way to soften leather seats?

I've just applied Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner on two passes and it's definitely cleaner and seemed more leathery than the rock hard surface before, but I kinda want a real soft leather to cushion my tush. Though to be fair, my Miata is almost 10 years old so there's probably no way of softening it besides new seats lol. But still, it'd be nice to soften it up to super comfy levels.

lem0n

Lol.

The blue and the quarter angle shot just gave me real shades of GenCoupe tbh.

I'm not really hating on it, just something I noticed immediately the moment I saw those pics earlier.

Speaking of leather, is there any way to soften leather seats?

I've just applied Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner on two passes and it's definitely cleaner and seemed more leathery than the rock hard surface before, but I kinda want a real soft leather to cushion my tush. Though to be fair, my Miata is almost 10 years old so there's probably no way of softening it besides new seats lol. But still, it'd be nice to soften it up to super comfy levels.

I'll trade you my minty NA cloth seats :D

I don't think there's a whole lot you can do. Just condition it every week and see if that helps.

even though I said I like the interior, I wouldn't consider the car without some upgraded seats which I hope will be available with a performance package in latter years.

those seats look like dodge seats.

Momentary

Banned
The interior of the camaro is the only thing that looks good to me. It looks like the same exact car on the outside except for the headlights. I just don't like the new Mustang or the Camaro.

The x4 is just a baby x6, but it's inferior in every way. From the interior trim down to the engine options.

You'd be far better off getting a 2/3 year old x6 to be honest, you'll get a lot more car for your money. Even if it's just the 35i version, it will perform similarly to the x4 35i despite the extra weight and you'll get a much nicer interior provided you can find one with the executive trim.

But why not a Macan if you are in that price range? Not a fan of the Evoque... Again, you're not getting much car for the money, but that's more on the powertrain/chasis side of things. The macan is just a well balanced all round car. It's hard to fault it for what it is.

My wife doesn't care about power. I love the Macan, but my wife isn't feeling that or the Land Rover. I'll try to find some used X6 for her tonight.

I'll trade you my minty NA cloth seats :D

I don't think there's a whole lot you can do. Just condition it every week and see if that helps.

Heh, if they're non-black cloth seats I'll see if I can fit them in the NC lol. Black leather is gonna be the death of me when summer rolls around in a few weeks. Back when I had to park my car outside for work, I'd actually take into account the direction of the sun when I start and when I got off to figure out which way I'd park my car haha.

Jackson

I share the exact same opinions as everyone else. Better interior, downgrade on the boring exterior. I'd get the 350(R) if I was shopping for American muscle (which will probably never happen unless it's the new Ford GT...)

lem0n

Heh, if they're non-black cloth seats I'll see if I can fit them in the NC lol. Black leather is gonna be the death of me when summer rolls around in a few weeks. Back when I had to park my car outside for work, I'd actually take into account the direction of the sun when I start and when I got off to figure out which way I'd park my car haha.

If I had black leather here in these hot AZ summers, any skin exposed would transfer from me to the seat.

Jackson

Story time!

So I went out for a few hours on a nice day to some local back mountain roads. I go there a lot on my bike, but haven't been there in the car. Anyway this one particular road is awesome because it's super twisty as it climbs this mountain and barely anyone uses it (but bikers). But it's narrow, like two flatbed doublewides would be stuck if they came from opposite directions. So you need to be careful on the hairpins around the blind corners of the rock face. It has some gravel here and there, but it's pretty clean usually.

Anyway I'm on the outside lane facing a ~300 foot sheer drop to my right with a tiny, flimsy "guard" rail that could maybe stop you if you're lucky and going nice and slow. So I get just past the apex of the turn, see a clear view and aggressively push the gas... because torque vectoring! Anyway rear tire bites gravel, not asphalt and I'm now facing the mountain at a rather significant speed with my ass hanging out nice and wide on the cliff side shoulder. I remember letting out an "Oh shiiiiiit!" as I try to countersteer it back and you know what flashes before my eyes? My car getting wrecked, not my own injuries lol. Anyway... I save it and it's all good, but that's the first time I've been legit scared in this car. And I've put it through the ringer on some roads. Afterward I took the main roads back home instead of coming back the way I came. lol

Pics! (I should have taken way more)

Also...
x-x-everywhere-meme-generator-bugs-bugs-everywhere-a89d02.jpg

ShowDog

Story time!

So I went out for a few hours on a nice day to some local back mountain roads. I go there a lot on my bike, but haven't been there in the car. Anyway this one particular road is awesome because it's super twisty as it climbs this mountain and barely anyone uses it (but bikers). But it's narrow, like two flatbed doublewides would be stuck if they came from opposite directions. So you need to be careful on the hairpins around the blind corners of the rock face. It has some gravel here and there, but it's pretty clean usually.

Anyway I'm on the outside lane facing a ~300 foot sheer drop to my right with a tiny, flimsy "guard" rail that could maybe stop you if you're lucky and going nice and slow. So I get just past the apex of the turn, see a clear view and aggressively push the gas... because torque vectoring! Anyway rear tire bites gravel, not asphalt and I'm now facing the mountain at a rather significant speed with my ass hanging out nice and wide on the cliff side shoulder. I remember letting out an "Oh shiiiiiit!" as I try to countersteer it back and you know what flashes before my eyes? My car getting wrecked, not my own injuries lol. Anyway... I save it and it's all good, but that's the first time I've been legit scared in this car. And I've put it through the ringer on some roads. Afterward I took the main roads back home instead of coming back the way I came. lol

I'm gonna pass on commenting on all of the awesome parts of your story to ask why your camera distorted the hell out of the images. Your car is squished! But damn that's some beautiful scenery and a beautiful car. Be careful on those mountain roads, a lot of people lose it and freakin die in the mountains out here in CA, no joke man.

Jackson

I'm gonna pass on commenting on all of the awesome parts of your story to ask why your camera distorted the hell out of the images. Your car is squished! But damn that's some beautiful scenery and a beautiful car. Be careful on those mountain roads, a lot of people lose it and freakin die in the mountains out here in CA, no joke man.

It's squished? Are you viewing them on your phone? Hmmm... It seems fine to me looking at it right now on my PC.

If I had black leather here in these hot AZ summers, any skin exposed would transfer from me to the seat.

I remember when I still had the stock shift knob on mine, it had some chrome trim surrounding the shift pattern and I've gotten burned by it so many times, I replaced it with a delrin knob and even then that still could get hot but not scalding hot. Now I've got a full aluminum knob... I've already got a baby sock prepared in my glovebox just in case I'm gonna need to park it out the sun again lol.

Story time!

Yep, the first time I lost control of my Miata my thoughts weren't about the fact that I might die, but rather how to explain to my parents how I wrecked it lol. It's definitely a good life lesson though tbh as I now know where the limit is and how to react if I lose control again. In fact, you could say that it's somewhat enjoyable these days lol.

ascii42

Both. The regular 500 isn't even a car.

True story: Took me twenty minutes to find the window switches.

Aren't they on either side of the shifter? It's unusual, but it's not like it's the first car I've driven with them in the middle instead of on the doors.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think I'd still take the Challenger over the new Camaro. History will agree with me.

Which two models/packages are you comparing?

I definitely prefer the exterior of the Challenger. No doubt there. I like the larger size of the Dodge, too. Though, now, from what I've seen, the interiors are relatively evenly matched - though I've liked UConnect more than Chevy's alternative from what I've used.

But price wise, the SS just had better performance at a lower cost threshold.

Momentary

Banned
Only American sports car that really changed up their appearance this go around was the Corvette. Everyone else just played it safe. The new Ford Focus RS and Ford GT haven't played it safe. I will give those 2 cars props as well.

I'm surprised there's not more talk about the RS than the Camaro or Mustang. That car eclipses those two boats.

Top Bottom