• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
lol.

Just finalized the paperwork on that Cayman GTS I was talking to you about. Should be delivered to my house next week.

I must have test driven a dozen sports cars since I started shopping last year, but deep down, I always knew I would end up with one of these from the moment I drove one 7 months ago.

Will post pics and info when it arrives!

So, White or Red?

:p

Congratulations though! I'm obviously incredibly jealous.

Jackson

Got to test drive the Camara Z/28 today on my continuing search for a vehicle. What a visceral experience that was. Sounded better than the Corvette non-z06. Didn't go far with it. Just used their straightaway on the lot.

It's definitely not meant to be a daily driver. It has AC and radio as options. This came fully loaded with both. Such a bad ass V8. Can't believe that's was a Naturally Aspirated vehicle. Dealership wants 73,000 for it. Seen others asking for 92000 and trying to say that MSRP is over 98000.

My wife even liked it better than the vette.

What else is out there? Help me find my sports car!!!!
Z/28 is epic. Never tried one. My biggest gripe is that it looks like your average, everyday Camaro with a cool badge, almost like a sleeper car (sure car nuts will know the difference). But for the price you're paying (more than double what the base Camaro is) I'd want something that stands out more... Like a Jaguar F-Type V6 or....

2015-alfa-romeo-4c-commercial.jpg

It has an epic interior with a beautiful exposed carbon fiber tub and taut leather everything.

2015-alfa-romeo-4c-launch-edition-interior-03.jpg

Awesome track car. Not a great DD, livable though, I mean if you're interested in a track focused Z/28 then you can live with anything. But man does it look super duper special. I mean it looks like an Italian dream car (because it is.) It's absolutely stunning in person, but really tiny and almost perfectly square. I dunno if you need storage or passenger space, cause it has zero. But you said sports car! So here ya go.

You can get a launch edition for ~$75k. I almost pulled the trigger on a 4C:LE
(This link below is $72k new!)
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=[ALFA[ALFA4C[]][]]&listingId=396080880&Log=0

Mototrend said the Z/28 was 2014's Driver's car of the year... Buuuuut the Alfa Romero 4C was 2nd place beating the 911 and everything else. I'd take the Alfa because you get way more of the full package than the Z/28 for the same price.

You can watch that review here. They love both to be honest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg1fY1fVYNk

lJust finalized the paperwork on that Cayman GTS I was talking to you about. Should be delivered to my house next week.

Congrats! :) I'm very happy for you!

Do you guys get your cars detailed? I've never done it before but since I'm inheriting my sister's old RSX, I'm thinking of giving it a try. She never really took care of her car, so I'm sure there's some stains and gunky-ness that I wouldn't be able to find...

Jackson

Do you guys get your cars detailed? I've never done it before but since I'm inheriting my sister's old RSX, I'm thinking of giving it a try. She never really took care of her car, so I'm sure there's some stains and gunky-ness that I wouldn't be able to find...

Sure. How much you looking to spend? I've gone to "cheaper" places and they did poor jobs. Specialty places actually care about cars and not ripping off the customer. So look for those. Usually it's in the $250 range for a basic level detail of a coupe. Which is pricey, I'll admit. But even "cheap ones" are over $100 and like I said, I've tried those and they suck. I'd rather spend more and get my money's worth than spend less and regret it completely.

Evo X

I was giving you a sarcastic response akin to your family. :p

I know very well that getting a GT4 is nearly impossible.

Yeah, I figured. Just wanted to practice my response since I know it's going to be a common question by friends next week. lol

With the PDK and optional X73 Sport Suspension from the Spyder, this GTS isn't giving up much in terms of performance, but will make a much better daily. Might have been for the best in the end. Why buy a hardcore race car if it's going to spend 95% of it's life on the street?

So, White or Red?

:p

Congratulations though! I'm obviously incredibly jealous.

Thanks. I think I am going to leave the color as a surprise for next week!

But it is one of those two. :D

Thank you fellow Ducati Porsche bro. lol

Yeah, I like to keep my cars super clean so I get a professional detail once a year. My friend is an expert and has all the products and tools to do it. He charges a good amount ($350 when he did my Boxster S), but can work magic.

Even if you don't want to go crazy, claybar + wax can work wonders to restore paint and get rid of swirls. Vacuum, shampoo, and condition the interior while you're at it and it can make an older car look much newer.

Edit: Yes, listen to Jackson. Do not take your car to a cheap place. I took my TL-S to one 9 years ago, and they actually burnt part of the paint with the buffing machine!

lem0n

Z/28 is epic. Never tried one. My biggest gripe is that it looks like your average, everyday Camaro with a cool badge, almost like a sleeper car (sure car nuts will know the difference). But for the price you're paying (more than double what the base Camaro is) I'd want something that stands out more... Like a Jaguar F-Type V6 or....

It has an epic interior with a beautiful exposed carbon fiber tub and taut leather everything.

Awesome track car. Not a great DD, livable though, I mean if you're interested in a track focused Z/28 then you can live with anything. But man does it look super duper special. I mean it looks like an Italian dream car (because it is.) It's absolutely stunning in person, but really tiny and almost perfectly square. I dunno if you need storage or passenger space, cause it has zero. But you said sports car! So here ya go.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=[ALFA[ALFA4C[]][]]&listingId=396080880&Log=0

Mototrend said the Z/28 was 2014's Driver's car of the year... Buuuuut the Alfa Romero 4C was 2nd place beating the 911 and everything else. I'd take the Alfa because you get way more of the full package than the Z/28 for the same price.

You can watch that review here. They love both to be honest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg1fY1fVYNk

Yes! Rayge, consider the 4C. You will fall in love with it.

Jackson

The only downside is people will ask what kind of Ferrari that is everyday of your life.

Also the IRS might audit you when you're neighbors rat you about owning a brand new Ferrari.

Edit: Yes, listen to Jackson. Do not take your car to a cheap place. I took my TL-S to one 9 years ago, and they actually burnt part of the paint with the buffing machine!

4803_7x18_TheBitternessOfPoorQuality_PUTTY_BLK__39348.1405357545.600.600.jpg

Evo X

Got a question especially for those well versed in luxurious interiors... Alcantara or perforated leather?

I'm asking coz I've been in talks with a Miata.net company who customizes the OEM steering wheel to add options and whatnot. So far, I've decided on red stitching, noon/time attack stripe, and a flat bottom. What I can't decide is on what material to use for the wheel.

I've narrowed it down to 2 options, one would be perforated sides(where you grip the wheel more) and smooth leather at the top/bottom and the other option is Alcantara sides and perforated top/bottom. Price isn't really an issue as they're pretty close(around $400 including cost of the steering wheel), it's just the material that I really can't decide on.

I've tried to read up on Alcantara and every negative thing I've read goes back to the E46 ZHP's that BMW screwed the pooch with so of course the opinion on them is really skewed negatively. Honestly, my biggest issue with Alcantara is that it might wear out more often than regular leather, combined that with the ridiculous Texas heat, I imagine it's lifespan will be a lot shorter than most.

So, luxurious interior Auto-GAF... what would y'all pick?

Jackson

Got a question especially for those well versed in luxurious interiors... Alcantara or perforated leather?

For me.
Steering wheel? Leather.
Rest of interior? Alcantara.

Alcantara "pills" due to the oils in your hands rather quickly. The areas around the thumb rests at 9 and 3 will get gross long before you're done with the wheel itself.

Unless, of course, you wear your matching driving gloves.

Wh9MTIW.gif

Evo X

Always had leather, but getting Alcantara wheel in my GTS. It feels so damn good!

You do have to be more careful in terms of wear, as Jackson mentioned due to the oils, but I have pretty dry hands so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Just make sure to wash them before driving, or you could always wear gloves. If you prefer the texture, maintenance is not a big issue. I've had friends use Alcantara wheels for years without significant wear. Besides, you can always get it reupholstered for like a hundred bucks.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think I know how I'm going to option my '16 Camaro. 2SS (V8 and leather), 8-speed auto (it'll be faster), yellow exterior (because Bumblebee), black exterior (I got nothing here), and every option except for the sunroof (don't need it), wireless phone charging (don't need that, either, unless it's in an option package with other stuff I want), or active exhaust (it's coming off anyways to make room for an SLP Loudmouth).

matmanx1

I second this. It is at least worth considering if your goal is an honest to goodness sports car. It is far from perfect but a lot closer to what I consider a true sports car to be (lightweight, small, nimble, loud, beautiful and a little bit crazy).

I second this. It is at least worth considering if your goal is an honest to goodness sports car. It is far from perfect but a lot closer to what I consider a true sports car to be (lightweight, small, nimble, loud, beautiful and a little bit crazy).

I saw one out on the roads (not at a show) for the first time a few days back and it looked outrageously good. A lot lower and wider than it looks in pictures or up close on a showroom floor.

For a long moment I wanted to buy one immediately, but I did a belt-tuck and the moment passed.

And matmanx1, a 996 will happily live under a carport and be a wonderful DD. Unless you live in an area with shitty winters and roads it's very comfortable and works year round. Plus they're probably never going to be a collector's vehicle so you don't have to feel bad about putting lots of miles on one.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I'm likely alone in this but I think that alpha front end is incredibly hideous. I Van's even give it its due as a car as I literally can't overlook how ugly that mug is.

The only downside is people will ask what kind of Ferrari that is everyday of your life.

Also the IRS might audit you when you're neighbors rat you about owning a brand new Ferrari.

4803_7x18_TheBitternessOfPoorQuality_PUTTY_BLK__39348.1405357545.600.600.jpg

Eh, low price doesn't always mean poor quality just as high price doesn't always mean high quality.

Evo X

I'm likely alone in this but I think that alpha is incredibly hideous. I literally can't overlook how ugly that mug is.

C'mon bro, don't be so mean. I know he posts some controversial stuff once in a while, but he can't help the way he looks. lol

Evo outchea stuntin I see you breh congrats

Thanks. I'm so excited I can barely sleep. :D

This is gonna be a long week.

Momentary

Banned

I'm looking for a Saturday and Sunday Car. It doesn't have to have all the creature comforts. I got my little Scion tC for that. I'll take a look at the Alfa. The FTYPE is still a little out of my price range.

That Z/28 though... that was just pure driving. Good Lord. This is coming from a guy that hates Mustangs and Camaros.

lol.

Just finalized the paperwork on that Cayman GTS I was talking to you about. Should be delivered to my house next week.

I must have test driven a dozen sports cars since I started shopping last year, but deep down, I always knew I would end up with one of these from the moment I drove one 7 months ago.

Will post pics and info when it arrives!
Congrats Evo! :) What color?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Chris Harris is the first person in the world to review the new 991 GT3RS on road and track.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTLk1rU_ZI

Oh man... So gorgeous. Just incredible.
If I had a poster of a car on my wall, it'd be of that.

Have you guys seen this before?

Touge Hill Climb on Mazda Turnpike on Hakone mountain featuring BMW Z4 GT3, Ford GT40, Nissan R35 GT-R, and Subaru STI.

Sweet cars. Great cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORu58PY1S_g

Ooh, that looks super cool. Will definitely watch when I have time. Thanks for sharing.

Momentary

Banned
Just looked at the 4C. It's a very good looking car, but with the Ford RS pushing over 315 hp off of a 4 cylinder, this car is seriously lacking in power. But I figure people would buy it more for the image I guess.

Just looked at the 4C. It's a very good looking car, but with the Ford RS pushing over 315 hp off of a 4 cylinder, this car is seriously lacking in power. But I figure people would buy it more for the image I guess.

More because it's a very light, mid-engine, rear wheel drive sports car with a carbon fiber chassis. Just because a Ford Focus has more power doesn't mean that matters one lick to a 4C buyer.

GHG

Gold Member

It's the equivalent of getting a Maseratti GranTurismo/Caribo when shopping in the 100k category.

You're not doing it for the power breh.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm likely alone in this but I think that alpha front end is incredibly hideous. I Van's even give it its due as a car as I literally can't overlook how ugly that mug is.

Hey fuck yo-oohh...the car!

The European version looks awful. The headlights look like cheap eBay reps.

American spec looks leagues better. Even though it's slower. :'(

mkenyon

Banned
Not just image, but the driving experience. Same reason that people enjoy the GT86/BRZ.

*ducks out of thread*

For me.
Steering wheel? Leather.
Rest of interior? Alcantara.

Alcantara "pills" due to the oils in your hands rather quickly. The areas around the thumb rests at 9 and 3 will get gross long before you're done with the wheel itself.

Unless, of course, you wear your matching driving gloves.

That gif is creepy lol.

Always had leather, but getting Alcantara wheel in my GTS. It feels so damn good!

You do have to be more careful in terms of wear, as Jackson mentioned due to the oils, but I have pretty dry hands so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Just make sure to wash them before driving, or you could always wear gloves. If you prefer the texture, maintenance is not a big issue. I've had friends use Alcantara wheels for years without significant wear. Besides, you can always get it reupholstered for like a hundred bucks.

Thanks for the input y'all!

I too have dry hands... severely dry hands actually(my finger skin is constantly in a cracked state lol). I'll take into consideration before I finalize everything. But so far, I think I'm definitely going for leather instead of Alcantara. It's cheaper, easier to take care of, and I don't even have driving gloves!

Jackson

Lol wat?

At a 4.3sec 0-60 it's quicker than a Camaro z/28... Though it's 1/4mile is just .2 seconds slower. Yet the z/28 has 505hp while the 4c has 237hp. And I'm sure it'll be quicker than the Focus RS.

My bike only has 150hp, but it'd destroy both of these cars in a drag race like they were standing still...

Bruh, it's all about the power-to-weight ratio.

I'm looking for a Saturday and Sunday Car. It doesn't have to have all the creature comforts. I got my little Scion tC for that. I'll take a look at the Alfa. The FTYPE is still a little out of my price range.

That Z/28 though... that was just pure driving. Good Lord. This is coming from a guy that hates Mustangs and Camaros.

Trust me. The entire point of the 4C with a carbon fiber monocoque and mid-engine is driving experience. Once you go mid-engine it's really hard to go back due to the turning responsiveness.

F-Type R which is a V8. Yes, that version is over $100k. But the V6 (which is more manageable) is in the $70's k range.

Oh god FR-S and power to weight ratio talk all in the same page?!

Sound the alarms! Abort thread!

Lol jk.

Speaking of Alpha... Did y'all know the Mazda/Alfa partnership got cancelled a couple of months ago? It's apparently become a Mazda/Fiat thing instead. That's kind of a shame if you ask me. Imagine an Alfa roadster with Japanese reliability and the looks of the 4C?

That might've been the next best thing. More than likely Fiat is just drop the 500 Abarth engine in a Miata chassis and redesign the body panels to look more "Italian."

Evo X, I'm gonna be disappointed if the GTS isn't red. #RedSportsCars4Lyfe

matmanx1

Have you guys seen this before?

Touge Hill Climb on Mazda Turnpike on Hakone mountain featuring BMW Z4 GT3, Ford GT40, Nissan R35 GT-R, and Subaru STI.

Sweet cars. Great cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORu58PY1S_g

Haven't seen it but will put it in que to watch. Sounds like a winner lineup.

Power to weight, man. Power to weight. The Alfa weighs ~2500 lbs while the Camaro is ~4000lbs. No one who has driven the Alpha has complained about lack of power. If anything there have been complaints that it is just TOO bonkers.

matmanx1

Just watched the Hill Climb video. Loved it. That Spec C WRX STI that was the last car shown sounded MEAN and as if it would break your spine on every upshift. I want one!

Now I want a longer video of the same thing. That was a seriously engaging teaser.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hey fuck yo-oohh...the car!

The European version looks awful. The headlights look like cheap eBay reps.

American spec looks leagues better. Even though it's slower. :'(

i dont know enough about the car to comment about the headlight changes, but i HATE the grille and hood design. i know its typical alfa romeo, but thats why i loathe their cars.

ascii42

I think I know how I'm going to option my '16 Camaro. 2SS (V8 and leather), 8-speed auto (it'll be faster), yellow exterior (because Bumblebee), black exterior (I got nothing here), and every option except for the sunroof (don't need it), wireless phone charging (don't need that, either, unless it's in an option package with other stuff I want), or active exhaust (it's coming off anyways to make room for an SLP Loudmouth).

Between 1SS and 2SS is going to depend on price. 1SS+options may be already on the upper end of what I want to spend. I'd go manual because I've never had a manual car before, and I think it makes sense to get the Camaro with a manual. Won't get a sunroof either (already don't like them, and the sunroof on my Malibu has caused me multiple issues, and is basically the only thing that's gone wrong on it). Don't need wireless charging either, but active exhaust would be neat, depending on price.

lem0n

My dream is to work so close to home where I can walk there in the morning, and own one car, just like the 4C, to drive when I feel like driving. It'll have no other purpose than to put a smile on my face. I dunno, just a passing thought.

Momentary

Banned
More because it's a very light, mid-engine, rear wheel drive sports car with a carbon fiber chassis. Just because a Ford Focus has more power doesn't mean that matters one lick to a 4C buyer.

Not just image, but the driving experience. Same reason that people enjoy the GT86/BRZ.

*ducks out of thread*

Lol wat?

At a 4.3sec 0-60 it's quicker than a Camaro z/28... Though it's 1/4mile is just .2 seconds slower. Yet the z/28 has 505hp while the 4c has 237hp. And I'm sure it'll be quicker than the Focus RS.

My bike only has 150hp, but it'd destroy both of these cars in a drag race like they were standing still...

Bruh, it's all about the power-to-weight ratio.

Trust me. The entire point of the 4C with a carbon fiber monocoque and mid-engine is driving experience. Once you go mid-engine it's really hard to go back due to the turning responsiveness.

F-Type R which is a V8. Yes, that version is over $100k. But the V6 (which is more manageable) is in the $70's k range.

Haven't seen it but will put it in que to watch. Sounds like a winner lineup.

Power to weight, man. Power to weight. The Alfa weighs ~2500 lbs while the Camaro is ~4000lbs. No one who has driven the Alpha has complained about lack of power. If anything there have been complaints that it is just TOO bonkers.

Look. I know about all this power to weight, mid-engine this and that talk. I'm just saying that it just sounds too much for a car with 230 horspower. I should have put things into a better perspective here and said that the 2015 exige shits on the 4C for a lot less. And it's the superior driving "experience." That's what I truly want, but America likes to have these safety law and whatnot. I'm sorry, but that rumble of the V8 and the lack of trinkets and refinement on the z/28 was just a raw experience. I enjoyed driving it more than I did the Vantage. I could almost wait for for the next-gen z/28 and roll with my mighty tC. Deep down inside though, at the end of the day, I'm just praying that BMW/Toyota destroy it with the Supra.

BTW The search for a crossover/suv is coming to an end. The wife is in love with the Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Only thing wrong with it is that it doesn't have, "those red brakes."

Edit: Okay I did my conversion wrong. Exige is like 15,000 more... so yeah. Whatever.

Jackson

There's a broken down BMW i8 stuck at the recharge stall in my garage.

EDIT: Now there's a BMW mechanic who brought a service van full of tools working on it, trying to start it up again. lol SPORT HYBRIDZ FTW!

Why they aren't towing it? I dunno.

Out here in my city in California it's now illegal to wash your car.

I think I'm going to get one last wash in real quick and hope the neighbors don't tattle. I've already gone way too long without a wash for the sake of the drought.

I don't want to take it to an approved car wash that will get swirls in the paint :(

I think I'm going to get one last wash in real quick and hope the neighbors don't tattle. I've already gone way too long without a wash for the sake of the drought.

I don't want to take it to an approved car wash that will get swirls in the paint :(

Can y'all take some of our rain?

The forecast calls for 5-6 inches of rain dropping this Memorial Day weekend here in DFW. And just the last 2 months we've had at least 15 inches of rain drop over the Texas/Oklahoma corridor.

In fact the lake close to my house is actually running over, flooding the parking lot, dock and the restaurant by it. Hell one of the cities around here is evacuating an entire neighborhood since the river next to it is going to run over the moment more rain drops over here.

It's been such a wet 2 months you'd think DFW became the new Seattle, Portland or whatever rainy PNW city exists.

And yes, I haven't washed my car either due to the nonstop rain.

Can't you take it to an approved car wash that does hand washing?

Laekon

No approved touch free places? I live in an apartment so the only way to wash my car is at touch free gas stations.

Can y'all take some of our rain?

The forecast calls for 5-6 inches of rain dropping this Memorial Day weekend here in DFW. And just the last 2 months we've had at least 15 inches of rain drop over the Texas/Oklahoma corridor.

In fact the lake close to my house is actually running over, flooding the parking lot, dock and the restaurant by it. Hell one of the cities around here is evacuating an entire neighborhood since the river next to it is going to run over the moment more rain drops over here.

It's been such a wet 2 months you'd think DFW became the new Seattle, Portland or whatever rainy PNW city exists.

And yes, I haven't washed my car either due to the nonstop rain.

We wish we could take it! It's getting pretty ridiculous here.

Can't you take it to an approved car wash that does hand washing?

No approved touch free places? I live in an apartment so the only way to wash my car is at touch free gas stations.

Yeah I'll have to find one. I'm pretty OCD though, I wash all my microfiber sponges and drying towels to even make sure there's no dust or dirt particles that could make swirls or scratches...lol.

Momentary

Banned
What the hell man. In the last 3 weeks I have found out about car companies I have never heard of in my life. Donkervoort, Ginetta, Donto... If only I could win the damn lottery.

lem0n

What the hell man. In the last 3 weeks I have found out about car companies I have never heard of in my life. Donkervoort, Ginetta, Donto... If only I could win the damn lottery.

Have you considered BAC Mono? Very expensive, but what a thing.

Edit: It's a single seater, so it's probably out, heh.

Top Bottom