• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

matmanx1

What a nice weekend/track car to have owndD. Too bad they are illegal in the US. So angry about this.

79532_Exige-V6-Cup-27_02_13-_40_1024x681.jpg

Really no other sports car out there for me on the market right now. Everything's got a release window of 2017.

There really isn't anything out there covering the 50-70k range outside of a. C7 Corvette.

Unfortunately you will have to go with a used one unless Lotus decides to spend the money (not likely) to update the Elise and Exige to US safety standards. Still, you should be able to find a good used one in your price range eventually. It will just take some time and some diligent searching. I applaud your choice though and wish I had money and garage space for a Lotus at this point in my life (although my choice would be an Evora).

No Love is on the money on this one, Smokey. Check out a TL Type S.

My first car 11 years ago was an 02 TL Type S and I had a fucking blast with that thing.

Also, personal update.

Dealer called and said no GT4 for me this year. ;(

Said I can get a Spyder allocation for November with December delivery if I want.

What the fuck and I supposed to do with a hardcore convertible sports car with a fussy manual top in the dead middle of winter in Chicago?

Shoudn't have sold my Boxster S so soon. ;_;

Were you still thinking about a Cayman GTS or is that out? Or about that 911S? No GT4 us quite a blow but it might be a blessing in disguise as either the GTS or the 911S would probably be a little more "livable" while still being crazy fun.

Right

It was encouraging that the car was in good condition. Tires are in good shape. I dont have anything that's really a showstopper.

Find a good Indy shop that charges around $90 an hour (that's what the one I use here north of Atlanta charges) and is well regarded. If you keep the BMW you will pay more in fuel costs, obviously, but get to keep that lovely car.

If you decide to sell it I still vote for the Acura RSX or TL-S or one of the Mazda family (3 or 6). Either of those would still be fun to drive and very reliable.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Story time!

So I went out for a few hours on a nice day to some local back mountain roads. I go there a lot on my bike, but haven't been there in the car. Anyway this one particular road is awesome because it's super twisty as it climbs this mountain and barely anyone uses it (but bikers). But it's narrow, like two flatbed doublewides would be stuck if they came from opposite directions. So you need to be careful on the hairpins around the blind corners of the rock face. It has some gravel here and there, but it's pretty clean usually.

Anyway I'm on the outside lane facing a ~300 foot sheer drop to my right with a tiny, flimsy "guard" rail that could maybe stop you if you're lucky and going nice and slow. So I get just past the apex of the turn, see a clear view and aggressively push the gas... because torque vectoring! Anyway rear tire bites gravel, not asphalt and I'm now facing the mountain at a rather significant speed with my ass hanging out nice and wide on the cliff side shoulder. I remember letting out an "Oh shiiiiiit!" as I try to countersteer it back and you know what flashes before my eyes? My car getting wrecked, not my own injuries lol. Anyway... I save it and it's all good, but that's the first time I've been legit scared in this car. And I've put it through the ringer on some roads. Afterward I took the main roads back home instead of coming back the way I came. lol

Pics! (I should have taken way more)

Also...
x-x-everywhere-meme-generator-bugs-bugs-everywhere-a89d02.jpg
Beautiful. Where do you live (if you dont mind)?

Evo X

Story time!

Sweet pics. Glad you made it out OK, and learned a valuable lesson. I had an "Oh Shit!" moment in my Evo 9 many years ago. Was showing off the AWD system to a friend and took a highway off ramp way too fast, especially since it had just rained and the roads were still wet. Car got completely sideways at 70mph. Had to go almost full opposite lock, gas it, and steer by looking out my side window to drift through the whole thing or would have went into the grass and flipped the car.

Saw my friends face afterwards and he was white as a ghost. lol

Needless to say, I keep my high speed drifting to race tracks now.

Were you still thinking about a Cayman GTS or is that out? Or about that 911S? No GT4 us quite a blow but it might be a blessing in disguise as either the GTS or the 911S would probably be a little more "livable" while still being crazy fun.

Yes, I have come to the same conclusion. GT4 is way too hardcore for an everyday car. It looks amazing and I'm sure drives just as well, but the low body panels are going to scrape everywhere, it's super loud and stiff, comes with race spec tires, and a shit 50w sound system.

Not to mention the endless production issues. They are having a problem with the carbon seat manufacturer, so most GT4s in the US are going to come with standard GTS seats instead. Most of all, I'm just tired of being jerked around by my dealer these past few months. I'd rather not wait a year or more for the possibility of getting one. This whole ordeal has been a stressful headache.

Been working on a deal on a loaded out of state GTS this past week. Only 2 people have known about it before now, myself and Jackson.

I wanted to wait before everything is finalized before posting here. Rest assured I will share the details and pics once that happens!

I'm parting ways with my Sivia...

11189475_702761346495152_79152216_n.jpg

I was going to drop some serious money and decided that I would rather drop that type of cash on a Skyline... So I'm going to buy one (or a used R35). Either way, I'm looking to scoop a BNR34 up.

I'm going to Japan next year, so hopefully I can sort something out while I'm there...

Jackson

I'm parting ways with my Sivia...

11189475_702761346495152_79152216_n.jpg

I was going to drop some serious money and decided that I would rather drop that type of cash on a Skyline... So I'm going to buy one (or a used R35). Either way, I'm looking to scoop a BNR34 up.

I'm going to Japan next year, so hopefully I can sort something out while I'm there...

Oh Canada and your awesome 15 year limits! :)

:(

mkenyon

Banned
Which two models/packages are you comparing?

I definitely prefer the exterior of the Challenger. No doubt there. I like the larger size of the Dodge, too. Though, now, from what I've seen, the interiors are relatively evenly matched - though I've liked UConnect more than Chevy's alternative from what I've used.

But price wise, the SS just had better performance at a lower cost threshold.
Honestly, it doesn't matter comparing which specs. The Challenger interior is a lot more simple and classic, just like the exterior. They aren't trying to hard to wow with edgy design bits eveywhere.

I have a very small list of cars since 2000 that I think look as good today as they did when they were released. The S2000 and Challenger rank up there, for me, as the most timeless designs we've seen in 15 years.

I just don't feel like someone goes and buys a Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro for the ultimate canyon carver or track day fun car. The Camaro would undoubtedly make a better one of those than the Challenger. But if you asked me which I'd rather look at day in and day out, be seen in, and enjoy the comfort of as a daily, gimmie the Challenger all day every day.
Near Seattle
Thought that looked like home, but then someone said California.

I'm in rural Thurston county, literally minutes from completely empty twisties through the Cascade foothills (and endless Weyerhauser property). It's a damn shame I don't really have anything to enjoy them with.

Smokey

Find a good Indy shop that charges around $90 an hour (that's what the one I use here north of Atlanta charges) and is well regarded. If you keep the BMW you will pay more in fuel costs, obviously, but get to keep that lovely car.

If you decide to sell it I still vote for the Acura RSX or TL-S or one of the Mazda family (3 or 6). Either of those would still be fun to drive and very reliable.

Will do

Reason why I posted in here first before committing to anything. AutoGAF bros wouldn't let me down!

Not concerned about fuel costs at all. My primary concern has been the possible maintenance and the ton of driving I'm about to do. But more I drive it after getting it back and knowing what needs to be fixed, learning that it's not in terrible shape at all, the more I'm leaning on keeping it.

Xdye7

Saw my friends face afterwards and he was white as a ghost. lol

tfw no AYC amirite

What's the story behind your username? I don't recall reading anywhere that you owned an X but I do know that you traded in an IX for your WRX

Btw your next car should have an X in the name, it's only right

edit: just realized the slight relevancy of my username lol

Evo X

tfw no AYC amirite

What's the story behind your username? I don't recall reading anywhere that you owned an X but I do know that you traded in an IX for your WRX

Btw your next car should have an X in the name, it's only right

edit: just realized the slight relevancy of my username lol

Funny story about the username. My original XBL gamertag was DemonFang. It got hacked years back, so I had to change it. Decided to create a one month throwaway account called EvoXFTW. All my friends started calling me Evo, so the name kind of stuck. I also bought a Ducati 848 EVO a few years back.

Never owned a WRX, but actually did have an Evo X. Was one of the first in the US to own one in fact. Don't think I ever posted any pics here though.

Here's a few. Looked absolutely massive next to my friends MX5.

EVO-1.jpg

mxvsevo.jpg

Bonus Evo 9 shots from 2007. God, I miss that thing.

evo3.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

And since I'm posting old cars, might as well include one of my E46 M3.

DSC01780.jpg

Xdye7

Awesome cars and pics Evo X

Kinda embarrassed I mixed you up with someone else about the trade lol. I think I discovered and started lurking the first OT when it had around 50 pages but my first time posting was in this one not too long ago.

What made you move on from the Evo? I'm guessing you went from the IX to the X and then to something else?

Evo X

Awesome cars and pics Evo X

Kinda embarrassed I mixed you up with someone else about the trade lol. I think I discovered and started lurking the first OT when it had around 50 pages but my first time posting was in this one not too long ago.

What made you move on from the Evo? I'm guessing you went from the IX to the X and then to something else?

Thanks.

I sold the Evo X to buy a 2011 Boxster S 2.5 years ago. Wanted to experience a different car and also move into something a bit more upscale. I never owned a convertible before either so that was fun. Lightweight, mid-engined and RWD was a nice departure from 6 years of driving turbo AWD sedans.

Here's a pic from a car meet.

Might as well throw up some pics of my family/friends hauler, 2014 550i M-Sport. Here it is chilling in the twisties, a place it's fatass most certainly does NOT belong. lol

Those poor brakes were screaming for mercy by the time I got to the top of the mountain. ;_;

Dat twin turbo V8 torque tho. :D

I sold the Evo X to buy a 2011 Boxster S 2.5 years ago. Wanted to experience a different car and also move into something a bit more upscale. I never owned a convertible before either so that was fun. Lightweight, mid-engined and RWD was a nice departure from 6 years of driving turbo AWD sedans.

I'm curious as to what your thoughts are comparing a Boxster compared to the Miata. You've driven your buddy's NC right?

The Miata community suggests that the Boxster the pretty much the next step after the Miata if you're into the whole succession of cars thing.

My thoughts are... I agree with the succession thing only because there's no other car that sits in between the Miata and the Boxster. But, in terms of performance... nah lol. I've seen modded Miata's keep up and even kill a Cayman/911's at the track so I think a either of the two would be the next best.

In fact, it's actually what I want to do if the next-gen Supra or RX-7 fails to live up to the hype. Although, I'm more of a classic Porsche guy so I'm hoping I can find a whale-tail down the line and use that as a daily lol.

I'm curious as to what your thoughts are comparing a Boxster compared to the Miata. You've driven your buddy's NC right?

The Miata community suggests that the Boxster the pretty much the next step after the Miata if you're into the whole succession of cars thing.

My thoughts are... I agree with the succession thing only because there's no other car that sits in between the Miata and the Boxster. But, in terms of performance... nah lol. I've seen modded Miata's keep up and even kill a Cayman/911's at the track so I think a either of the two would be the next best.

In fact, it's actually what I want to do if the next-gen Supra or RX-7 fails to live up to the hype. Although, I'm more of a classic Porsche guy so I'm hoping I can find a whale-tail down the line and use that as a daily lol.

Personal bias aside, miatas aren't keeping up with Boxsters/Caymans unless they're prepped for the track or the drivers are better. I passed a newer GT500 in my '83 Porsche 944 one time, I'm not going to make any claims to performance based on that.

You don't want to daily an old 911. I mean you can, but you'll suffer for it and hurt the value. They're quickly moving into collector territory so putting lots of miles on one isn't advisable. I only put about 2k-3k on mine a year, and I drive it more than most I bet.

Evo X

Yeah, I drove my buddy's NC and there is no comparison between the two. Starting in 2009, the Boxster S started coming with the 3.4L motor from the 911. They say it makes 310HP, but it feels like even more.

To give you an idea, I raced and beat my brother in laws DCT E92 M3 up to 140mph with my 6spd Boxster S.

The suspension, brakes, and obviously interior are also far superior on the Porsche.

Yeah, I guess you could get a turbo, coilovers, brakes, etc on the Miata for it to keep up with a Boxster S on the track, but that's not really the point. Besides, you can do that with any car, so they should only really be compared stock to stock.

There is a reason a new Boxster S costs 3 times as much as a new Miata, and why it's considered to be the best topless sports car under $100K by every automotive publication on Earth. Go drive one for yourself and you will see.

what are you referring to exactly?

2015-Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-Interior.jpg

The little doohickey with the knob under it on the center console? They are two separate control systems and they both do exactly the same thing. It's like having a normal mouse and a trackball on your desk in case you want to do the same thing two different ways.

It's awful, and the knob is the much better control of the two anyway.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
2015-Mercedes-Benz-C-Class-Interior.jpg

The little doohickey with the knob under it on the center console? They are two separate control systems and they both do exactly the same thing. It's like having a normal mouse and a trackball on your desk in case you want to do the same thing two different ways.

It's awful, and the knob is the much better control of the two anyway.

They did this on purpose. They want to make sure older MB customers have the ability to use both and slowly ween them off the knob for a faster solution. They're well aware of the redundancy, but actually a lot of customers also quite like it.

In my Infiniti I have numerous redundancies of being able to control the infotainment system via touch-screen, rotary knob, buttons and arrows on the knob, and the steering wheel. It's absolutely sensational, in my opinion. There are certain things that people find more intuitive than others. To some it's a touch screen, to others it's a knob, to others it's buttons. In this case, whichever you choose you won't be left feeling confused.

Choices are a wonderful thing. :)

Hey Auto-GAF, I got a question about leather seat care and wanted to see if you guys would be kind enough to answer.

Nearly a year ago I bought a used Mazda CX7, 2008 model which was pretty surprisingly well kept and maintained. Everything about the car has been great but it unfortunately has white leather seats, which living in Texas with searing heat I could do without, but everything else was great and it having leather seats is hardly a deal breaker alone so I bought the car.

Thing is, I haven't the faintest clue as to how to care for leather seats :(. Each site I visit has a totally different method of care and maintenance and I can't tell which is good and which isn't. I'm getting worried because the seats (particularly the driver and passenger seats) are showing light signs of discoloration and cracking.

I want to see 1) how to get rid of these discolorations and remove the cracking and 2) how to care for the leather in the future without breaking the bank.

Pictures below. They're all really up close because I wanted you guys to see the cracking, etc.

http://i4.minus.com/ibo0CPJOZ5I4rR.JPG
http://i1.minus.com/iS06nxJw54Vxo.JPG
http://i2.minus.com/iOFu3lsoTOWHP.JPG
http://i3.minus.com/ibirAB2D6uapTA.JPG
http://i2.minus.com/imziymrTLO5Cx.JPG

ameratsu

Hey Auto-GAF, I got a question about leather seat care and wanted to see if you guys would be kind enough to answer.

Your owner's manual will likely talk about leather care and preventative maintenance. Since I'm bored I found a CX7 owner's manual online did it for you:

Leather
Remove dust and sand first u sing a vacuum cleaner or other means , then wipe dirt off using a soft cloth with a leather cleaner or a soft cloth soaked in mild soap.

Wipe off the remaining cleaner or soap using a cloth soaked in clean water and wrung out well. Remove moisture with a dry, soft cloth and allow the leather to further dry in a well-ventilated, shaded area. If the leather gets wet such as from rain, also remove moisture and dry it as soon as possible.

The section that follows makes additional recommendations:

• Because genuine leather is a natural
    material, its surface is not uniform and it
    may have natural scars, scratches, and
    wrinkles.
  • To maintain the quality for as long as
    possible, periodical maintenance, about
    twice a year, is recommended.
  • Sand and dust on the seat surface may
    damage the overcoat of the genuine leather
    surfaces and accelerate wear.
  • Greasy soiling on genuine leather may
    cause molding and stains.
  • Rubbing hard with a stiff brush or cloth
    may cause damage.
  • Do not wipe the leather using alcohol,
    chlorine bleach, or organic solvents such as
    thinner, benzene, or gasoline. Otherwise, it
    may cause discoloration or stains.
  • If the seats get wet, promptly remove
    moisture with a dry cloth. Remaining
    moisture on the surface may cause
    deterioration such as hardening and
    shrinkage.
  • Exposure to direct sunlight for long periods
    may cause deterioration and shrinkage.
    When parking the car under direct sunlight
    for long periods, shade the interior using
    sunshades.
  • Do not leave vinyl products on the seats for
    long periods as they may affect the leather
    quality and coloring. If the cabin
    temperature becomes hot, the vinyl may
    deteriorate and adhere to the genuine
    leather.

I use lexol leather cleaner and conditioner, applied with a plain foam sponge. I've had good luck with it and it's fairly inexpensive. I paid $30 in total for their cleaner and conditioner.

Personal bias aside, miatas aren't keeping up with Boxsters/Caymans unless they're prepped for the track or the drivers are better. I passed a newer GT500 in my '83 Porsche 944 one time, I'm not going to make any claims to performance based on that.

You don't want to daily an old 911. I mean you can, but you'll suffer for it and hurt the value. They're quickly moving into collector territory so putting lots of miles on one isn't advisable. I only put about 2k-3k on mine a year, and I drive it more than most I bet.

Well yeah, obviously a modded Miata especially with a decent driver can be a Porsche killer. What I meant by saying that is that it seems that by modding the Miata to Porsche killer levels, you kinda hit the ceiling in terms of performance and skill so it would seem that the 911/Cayman would be the better step than the Boxster for example.

Anyway, it's always been somewhat of a childhood dream to daily a whale-tail. To me, it's probably the ballsiest car out there to daily besides a Viper. You don't want to daily it because it's a rear-engined RWD, no traction control or stability control, stick, and of course it's a beautiful Porsche. That risk factor is very appealing imo. On the other hand, I wouldn't even dare drive a Viper in the rain so it's definitely a childhood dream lol.

Maybe I'll just do that... buy one and keep it as a weekend car until I'm 6-feet under and just daily a Miata so I can still have some fun on the roads.

Yeah, I drove my buddy's NC and there is no comparison between the two. Starting in 2009, the Boxster S started coming with the 3.4L motor from the 911. They say it makes 310HP, but it feels like even more.

To give you an idea, I raced and beat my brother in laws DCT E92 M3 up to 140mph with my 6spd Boxster S.

The suspension, brakes, and obviously interior are also far superior on the Porsche.

Yeah, I guess you could get a turbo, coilovers, brakes, etc on the Miata for it to keep up with a Boxster S on the track, but that's not really the point. Besides, you can do that with any car, so they should only really be compared stock to stock.

There is a reason a new Boxster S costs 3 times as much as a new Miata, and why it's considered to be the best topless sports car under $100K by every automotive publication on Earth. Go drive one for yourself and you will see.

I see.

So would you say it's better to upgrade to a Boxster or a 911/Cayman coming from a NC Miata?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but if you ask the same question to the Miata community, they'll usually answer with a "stay Miata and buy mods" type of answer, which I'm fine with but I want to expand my horizons with cars. Chances are, I'll probably drive a Miata until I'm dead, but at least I'll be a little informed if/when I get the chance to jump ship to something better lol.

I use lexol leather cleaner and conditioner, applied with a plain foam sponge. I've had good luck with it and it's fairly inexpensive. I paid $30 in total for their cleaner and conditioner.

Both are $7 a piece at your local O'Reilly's right now.

Last weekend was actually the first time I used Lexol products and while I'm a little disappointed that they didn't soften my leather seats up to the way I wanted to, I will say that they do look a lot nicer and feel different compared to before I used them. I kinda wanna say it's gotten a little softer, but only by a bit.

Either way, I'm vouching for Lexol stuff as well.

Evo X

I see.

So would you say it's better to upgrade to a Boxster or a 911/Cayman coming from a NC Miata?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but if you ask the same question to the Miata community, they'll usually answer with a "stay Miata and buy mods" type of answer, which I'm fine with but I want to expand my horizons with cars. Chances are, I'll probably drive a Miata until I'm dead, but at least I'll be a little informed if/when I get the chance to jump ship to something better lol.

There's a ton of variables when deciding a Porsche. Do you want a convertible or coupe?

Once that is decided, do you want mid-engine or rear? Do you need the rear seats in the 911? Which model year and body style are you considering? How much do you want to spend? What options are important to you?

No car is necessarily "better" It just depends on what you want. 911 & Boxster/Cayman offer very different driving experiences. I know it sounds cliche, but the only way to decide is to drive them yourself. It is then when you will realize why they say " Porsche: There Is No Substitute", and why most other cars, even when highly modded, just simply cannot compare in offering a complete package of driving feedback, pleasure, and experience. Whatever you choose, you will be extremely happy. :)

Jackson

jongkookie just get an S2000.

It uses a motorcycle engine.
It goes 0-60 in 3 seconds and flames shout out the back if you go above 7,000 RPMs.
I hear it's banned in Canada and I think you got to get a special insurance license for it at the court house.
It's definitely faster than a Porsche.
It can out corner an Ariel Atom and beats Gixxers.
I hear it doesn't pass smog in California and that there's a special tax.
And if you could drive it like up over a loop, it'd stick to the top like an F1 car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrr0YH-dm6k

They did this on purpose. They want to make sure older MB customers have the ability to use both and slowly ween them off the knob for a faster solution. They're well aware of the redundancy, but actually a lot of customers also quite like it.

In my Infiniti I have numerous redundancies of being able to control the infotainment system via touch-screen, rotary knob, buttons and arrows on the knob, and the steering wheel. It's absolutely sensational, in my opinion. There are certain things that people find more intuitive than others. To some it's a touch screen, to others it's a knob, to others it's buttons. In this case, whichever you choose you won't be left feeling confused.

Choices are a wonderful thing. :)

What surprised me was just how much better the knob was than the touchpad dongle. It was faster, more accurate, and provided tactile feedback. Sure, the touchpad looked cool but it just didn't do the job as well.

This really plays back into my distaste of controls without tactile feedback that require visual confirmation of choices made. If I'm on a radio station and I know that I want to go three stations up, I can turn the knob *click* *click* *click*. If I want to go up three stations with a touchscreen I need to swipe three times and oh shit did it double swipe? Wait it thought I wanted a big swipe and now it's scrolling through the stations oh crap what station am I on now? Oldies? No that's not right I need to oh shit I'm drifting across the lane, now what station was I on? Okay, that one, I'll just use the fucking knob this time.

That's bad design, I don't care if people find it more intuitive or friendlier, your main focus is driving the car, so any controls for secondary equipment should be workable without deviating your attention.

I get your point about options, though, but one of them is objectively safer than the other so get the touchpad out of there.

Anyway, it's always been somewhat of a childhood dream to daily a whale-tail. To me, it's probably the ballsiest car out there to daily besides a Viper. You don't want to daily it because it's a rear-engined RWD, no traction control or stability control, stick, and of course it's a beautiful Porsche. That risk factor is very appealing imo. On the other hand, I wouldn't even dare drive a Viper in the rain so it's definitely a childhood dream lol.

Old 911s are actually pretty easy to drive if you're not hooning around, just that they're not near as comfortable to DD as any modern vehicle. I drive mine in to work maybe once a week on really nice days but other than that it's a weekend and track car.

Oh Canada and your awesome 15 year limits! :)

:(

I love this country! ^_^

Woah, has it been that long?

I remember when you bought it initially and had it stored or whatever since it wouldn't clear the 15 year limit yet. When was that?

That said... big efff you to the EPA for their inane BS lol.

Yeah I bought it super early, and had it placed in storage for almost 7-8 months in Japan before shipping it over. I plan to take my time finding a BNR34 like I did my Silvia. From what I've seen at the auctions, I might have to spend a bit more then I wanted to :(

I have one, any questions just let me know.

Awesome my man! I remembered that there was someone here who owned one. I'll be sure to hit you up!

There's a ton of variables when deciding a Porsche.

No doubt about that, I was just curious as to what your thoughts were about the topic.

For me personally, it's gotta be a 911. No disrespect to the Cayman of course, but just the name 911 carries a lot more weight even against the hypercars of our time. I guess you could say I'm in not only because of it's performance characteristics but also because of it's prestige.

Old 911s are actually pretty easy to drive if you're not hooning around, just that they're not near as comfortable to DD as any modern vehicle. I drive mine in to work maybe once a week on really nice days but other than that it's a weekend and track car.

My Miata is stiff as fnck these days so I honestly don't even care about comfort at all lol. When I do get one, if I really can't daily it, I'll pretty much just keep it a weekend car. Car shows, maybe a track day, or some backroads.

Yeah I bought it super early, and had it placed in storage for almost 7-8 months in Japan before shipping it over. I plan to take my time finding a BNR34 like I did my Silvia. From what I've seen at the auctions, I might have to spend a bit more then I wanted to :(

Yeah that Jalopnik writer got his R32 for $25K USD, including taxes and all that government mess. I imagine prices are gonna go higher the closer the R34's get legal so I'd say you're kinda lucky if you'll be able to find one pretty soon.

AlphaSnake

Carlos Lago left Motor Trend a few days ago. :'(

He went to Edmunds. Hopefully his video reviews continue there.

Is this JDM Toyota commercial GAF-approved...? =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7YdYYbmqk

Black chocobo photobomb, yo.

Isn't this supposed to be a car commercial? I didn't see any cars whatsoever.

Joking of course.

Also, is Toyota subtly hinting that they're building a flying car next?!

And that slogan. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Whaaaaaaaaaat. Carlos Lago is like the American Chris Harris.

What the hell is he gonna do at Edmunds? IIRC, they don't really do performance cars like MT does.

matmanx1

Nearly a year ago I bought a used Mazda CX7, 2008 model which was pretty surprisingly well kept and maintained. Everything about the car has been great but it unfortunately has white leather seats, which living in Texas with searing heat I could do without, but everything else was great and it having leather seats is hardly a deal breaker alone so I bought the car.

Thing is, I haven't the faintest clue as to how to care for leather seats :(. Each site I visit has a totally different method of care and maintenance and I can't tell which is good and which isn't. I'm getting worried because the seats (particularly the driver and passenger seats) are showing light signs of discoloration and cracking.

I want to see 1) how to get rid of these discolorations and remove the cracking and 2) how to care for the leather in the future without breaking the bank.

Pictures below. They're all really up close because I wanted you guys to see the cracking, etc.

http://i4.minus.com/ibo0CPJOZ5I4rR.JPG
http://i1.minus.com/iS06nxJw54Vxo.JPG
http://i2.minus.com/iOFu3lsoTOWHP.JPG
http://i3.minus.com/ibirAB2D6uapTA.JPG
http://i2.minus.com/imziymrTLO5Cx.JPG

I use Meguiar's leather wipes (Meguiar's G10900 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Wipes) and have been very pleased with them. They make your leather shiny and soft and they smell nice also.

Well yeah, obviously a modded Miata especially with a decent driver can be a Porsche killer. What I meant by saying that is that it seems that by modding the Miata to Porsche killer levels, you kinda hit the ceiling in terms of performance and skill so it would seem that the 911/Cayman would be the better step than the Boxster for example.

Maybe I'll just do that... buy one and keep it as a weekend car until I'm 6-feet under and just daily a Miata so I can still have some fun on the roads.

I see.

Both are $7 a piece at your local O'Reilly's right now.

Last weekend was actually the first time I used Lexol products and while I'm a little disappointed that they didn't soften my leather seats up to the way I wanted to, I will say that they do look a lot nicer and feel different compared to before I used them. I kinda wanna say it's gotten a little softer, but only by a bit.

Either way, I'm vouching for Lexol stuff as well.

I DDed a 2007 Boxster for about 6 months. Too much noise and not enough stereo for me. Great driving car though. The best combination of steering feel, clutch and shifter action that I personally have experienced.

Wind noise on the highway was excessive and the exhaust drone was pervasive between 2500 and 3000RPM with the top up. It was a great car to drive hard and fantastic on a nice day with the top down. Living with it through the winter, especially with the weak stereo, was kinda painful.

I would absolutely have a Cayman or a newer 911 (996 or newer) as a second/fun car but don't think I could DD one again.

Bummer! I really enjoyed his videos and reviews. Maybe Edmunds will let him do the same thing for them.

boltz

Anyone have experience with aftermarket upper motor mounts? I'm thinking of getting one for my Focus to improve responsiveness and get a little more power to the wheels (I'm not expecting anything much here), but I'm afraid of how crazy the noise/vibrations might get. I've heard it's loud, but it's not race car loud is it?

Evo X

I would absolutely have a Cayman or a newer 911 (996 or newer) as a second/fun car but don't think I could DD one again.

Have you driven a 981 Cayman or 991 911? They make excellent DDs. All the luxury and tech you could want alongside their sporting nature. It will cost you though. Not only are the base prices way higher on the new cars, the options list on Porsches is insane.

Jackson

Have you driven a 981 Cayman or 991 911? They make excellent DDs. All the luxury and tech you could want alongside their sporting nature. It will cost you though. Not only are the base prices way higher on the new cars, the options list on Porsches is insane.

No one wants to hear your biased Porsche fanboi jibber jabber! FieRo4LYFE!!!

Evo X

No one wants to hear your biased Porsche fanboi jibber jabber! FieRo4LYFE!!!

lol.

Just finalized the paperwork on that Cayman GTS I was talking to you about. Should be delivered to my house next week.

I must have test driven a dozen sports cars since I started shopping last year, but deep down, I always knew I would end up with one of these from the moment I drove one 7 months ago.

Will post pics and info when it arrives!

matmanx1

I have not simply because before I have a car that nice I want a proper place to put it. At this point I don't have an enclosed garage but only a car port. We live out in the country. Building a garage is on the agenda for the next few years.

lol.

Just finalized the paperwork on that Cayman GTS I was talking to you about. Should be delivered to my house next week.

I must have test driven a dozen sports cars since I started shopping last year, but deep down, I always knew I would end up with one of these from the moment I drove one 7 months ago.

Please do!

AlphaSnake

lol.

Wow...you got a GTS?

Why not a GT4?

You disappointment to me. And your family.

Congrats :p

Evo X

Thanks guys.

And Alpha, I went with a GTS mostly because I couldn't get my hands on a GT4. Production is way too low and I was getting tired of their shit. The dealer I had my deposit with is only getting one car this whole year. I was number two on the list.

My GTS also has a bunch of features that are not available on the GT4 like PDK, Infotainment Package with Bose Premium Audio, and door handles. lol

Who knows. Maybe I will get a GT4 next year, but I'm impatient, so gonna enjoy the hell out of the GTS until then.

Momentary

Banned
Got to test drive the Camara Z/28 today on my continuing search for a vehicle. What a visceral experience that was. Sounded better than the Corvette non-z06. Didn't go far with it. Just used their straightaway on the lot.

It's definitely not meant to be a daily driver. It has AC and radio as options. This came fully loaded with both. Such a bad ass V8. Can't believe that's was a Naturally Aspirated vehicle. Dealership wants 73,000 for it. Seen others asking for 92000 and trying to say that MSRP is over 98000.

My wife even liked it better than the vette.

What else is out there? Help me find my sports car!!!!

AlphaSnake

Thanks guys.

And Alpha, I went with a GTS mostly because I couldn't get my hands on a GT4. Production is way too low and I was getting tired of their shit. The dealer I had my deposit with is only getting one car this whole year. I was number two on the list.

My GTS also has a bunch of features that are not available on the GT4 like PDK, Infotainment Package with Bose Premium Audio, and door handles. lol

Who knows. Maybe I will get a GT4 next year, but I'm impatient, so gonna enjoy the hell out of the GTS until then.

I was giving you a sarcastic response akin to your family. :p

I know very well that getting a GT4 is nearly impossible.

Top Bottom